Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst accident you've been in?

Options
  • 05-01-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

Trend suggests these are the types of threads to create these days so I'll try this one.
    When I was 17 I bought a pile of ****e 1.9d tempra with 4 working gears. 1,2,5 and reverse.
    Turned 18 and myself and a few lads took the car to go up a small mountain road to some windmills and have a few drinks.
    On the way up I was doing about 40 when I took a bend a bit too quickly and the rear right tyre caught the verge.
    Car starts to slalom and I'm desperately trying to get it corrected when the car gets full traction and heads nose first into a wall and flips twice before smashing against an electricity pole and is left dangling over the edge of the wall. Underneath is a stream.
    We all had the seat belts on but I came within cm of having the roof crush my head as it had creased and just stopped shy of going through my skull.
    Lads in the car had glass shatter into their eyes and mouth, cuts and bruises.
    Crawled out of the car which was still on and pulled it back onto the road.
    Adrenaline hadn't made us realise how lucky we were until we saw the car the next day.
    All in all a memorable 18th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

My conception?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

My conception?

Son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

My conception?

I always assumed that it had been Immaculate. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

My conception?

My mother would tell me the same.

Learning to drive, driving on a country road where there is only space for the one car and you have to pull in to let someone pass if they're going the other way.

I pulled in too fast and hit a wall. A broken headlight.

My dad was able to fix it. I had the car back about 20 minutes when I went out to the car. I wanted to start it up. That's when I learned you should always check what gear it's in. I was doing everything by the book. Leave it neutral, switch of engine. I didn't realise other people are different. My dad left it in reverse. I started to fly back and I didn't know what to do. I didn't have time to think with the clutch down and brake that I just switched it off at the engine. I came so close to reversing into a wall. Thankfully nothing since then and it's been over 11 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Driving on a motorway a few years ago... car started to spin on compacted hailstone... hit the concrete central barrier nose first at about 120 kph... flung back across the road and ended up in the hard shoulder alive and very thankful that I was driving a big Volvo!

• Advertisement

Going along at a fast tip on a country road through forestry...big stag bounds over the fence and makes a beeline for car. Wrench wheel left...realise I'm aiming for trees...spin it right and connect with deer. Big bang and car left spinning around on itself and comes to a stop. Jump out to see deer limping away into the woods, antlers gouged out a big line down along the side of the car. Rang Park Rangers as kinda felt bad that the animal might have a slow death, hope they managed to find it and put it out of any pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Smashed my car against a wall after skidding on black ice at a bend and losing control 2 years ago. Airbags deployed, seatbelt tore my top, glasses flung over my head into the back seat. Thankfully I wasn't going fast as I was driving through a village and was doing no more than 35kph. I walked away with a few bruises and shock but relived it in my dreams for months to come and still do occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Peugot 106 v Articulated Lorry.

2 dead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2 fractures in the sinuses, 2 in the temple, 2 in the eye socket, 1 in the jaw. Small fractures in neck and upper back. Broken wrist one arm, broken elbow in the other. 4 broken teeth. Unconscious for 30 mins or so. Fortunately medics were on the scene within a couple of minutes as I had swallowed my tongue.

This was a fall off my bike while racing just outside Newry back in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Not an accident, a near miss. Cycling through Kerry with my 15-year-old son, on a minor road somewhere between Killarney and the Conor Pass, which we'd crossed earlier. Hugging the edge as we slalom down a series of hairpin bends. Suddenly there's an artic heading straight for us, blaring his horn. I'm gripping the handlebars, keeping my head down, praying my son's ok and wondering why that selfish bastard is blaring his airhorn at us - when I discover the reason: there's another artic coming up behind us at full speed and he hasn't seen us. It was a pure miracle his speed as he passed us didn't pull us in under the wheels. The guy driving towards us was trying to warn the other driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

2 dead.

Wow so sorry to hear that. That's a trauma you would never ever recover from.

I came across a fatal accident in Wicklow about 14 years ago. At the time the person who died was still alive but it's something that haunts me to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

2 dead.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I remember vividly falling off my bike at twelve, slapping my mouth of the ground and sliding for about three meters. Worst part was while sliding my two front teeth caught on the road and ripped up and out of my mouth leaving the roots hanging from my gums. So I was brought to the hospital and while waiting in agony I could feel a lump in my gum and I manged to spit it out, It was a stone lodge in my gum from the impact.

Other than that I caught my foreskin in my zipper onces.

A taxi mounted the footpath I was walking on in Oxford years go, running over my foot and putting me in a cast and on crutches for a long while. The whole thing was witnessed by a local solicitor, who quickly settled a bit of compensation for me.

I took my Granny on holiday to celebrate her getting the all-clear from cancer with the proceeds, although she doesn't know that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

From another thread:
    I narrowly avoided decapitation by milliseconds.

A few years ago, I was riding my motorbike and in a freak accident, a tractor coming from the opposite direction had the boom from its chemical sprayer open out and cleave me off the bike. The only luck I had was that it hit me clean and square across the forearm, shoulder and helmet. The boom opened out and down so fractions of seconds earlier and I would have had the full force of it to the head.

It was a life changing/ affirming moment. The Guards said engineer said that if you re-enacted that accident, nine out of ten times I'd have have ended up dead. The bike was written off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When I was 14 or 15, I was a passenger in a car that skidded off the road and tumbled down an embankment, rolling several times before eventually landing on its side. There were four of us (and an Alsatian dog) in the car, with no seatbelts in the back. Every panel was damaged, including the roof, but nobody was injured. It was the kind of accident that probably looked a lot worse and more dramatic than it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'd been over in the UK for work and my flight had been delayed getting back in to Dublin Airport. So I was driving home from Dublin Airport late at night, around midnight I'm nearly home at this stage, only about 15 minutes from my door and I nodded off for a second. Before I know it car wheels were locked and I was spinning in to a wall. Scariest thing that's ever happened to me and I always take a break now when driving if I feel tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A lad I know was out on the beer all day and that night decided to drive home and on the way he overturned the car into a river.How he survived that I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

This..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IgRiRkucMUA

Was only 4 and with my dad and brother in the last coach thankfully. 13 people at the front didn't make it.

Can't remember much about it now. Brother broke a rib when he hit the table edge. My dad and myself were sitting with our backs facing the direction of travel so were OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I lost control braking in the rain from 100mph for a roundabout. I clipped the roundabout as I vainly tried to cut it and hit a lamppost head on. My 15 stone cousin was sitting behind me with no belt on. He broke an arm and a leg, and crushed me. I tore muscles and ligaments in my thighs, and destroyed my face of the wheel, nose smashed, plenty of cuts etc.

There was a girl in the front passenger seat and another girl behind her got out of the car without a mark on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

When I was 19 I had been seeing a girl and we we're going out one Thursday night all excited I was ready a bit early so I went for a quick spin on my bike just to kill a bit of time, I was just ridding around when a drunken driver came straight out of a small side road without stopping and I had no chance to react or do anything, he ploughed me over and I was in a bit of a mess, I ended up losing a full leg right from the hip, nackered my back cut my finger ends quite bad and cut my face almost losing my nose, he carried on but crashed his car into a wall a little bit past me but he had no injuries, I was in hospital for a good bit and the girl visited me for a while but dumped me, I ended up marrying a nurse from the ward I was on and we are still married 30 years later so it wasn't all bad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

On a boat on the Danube from Vienna to Bratislava that crashed into the riverbank when the driver was distracted. No one was seriously injured thankfully, and nearly all the passengers walked right off the beached boat.

Fortunately I've not been in a very serious accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I've been lucky so far, my only injury was a broken arm. I still can't believe how I broke it though, I was 12 or so and the parents were away for the weekend. I went out to play football during the day and ended up in goals.

We're all having a great time and two older lads around 17 joined us. One of them took a shot and I stuck my arm out to save it...

SNAP!

Broke both of the bones in my forearm cleanly, ruined the rest of summer.

And do you think my parents believed me?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

About 15 years ago was driving on a straight part of the road that lasted more than a kilometre with a slight down gradient, and noticed on the opposite carriageway an approaching van that was weaving slightly but still 500 metres away. As the van approached it started to swerve more and more and noticed the driver terrified at the steering wheel trying to control the van. I immediately reduced my speed to about 70km/h.

Anyway the van began to fishtail and then noticed it was coming more to our side of the road. There was a car 10 metres in front of me and I kept saying "go to the other side of the road" again and again as the van got nearer very quickly. They went into the layby on their side of the road and reduced speed at last second to about 50km/h. The van crossed the road and careered head on into the car, and at the last second I hit the brakes and went over to the opposite side of the road.

The next moment was like something slow motion out of Inception. Saw the whole blast of metal and impact and was waiting for the van ricochet, and terrified with over a tonne van bouncing over to the opposite side of the carriageway. However, the van did a flip into the air and landed on top of another car that had been behind me, roof meets roof. The cars roof was so badly concertinaed that it was impossible to survive, and diesel was coming out of the van all over the car. Other drivers where on the scene and acting as first responders and I phoned emergency services.

The driver of the van had no injuries, the girl in the crushed car was in hospital for 4 months and the car in front of me were all dead. The parents and a boy and girl under ten. What made it more devastating as it later transpired, was that they were on there way to collect the youngest child from school who was waiting and waiting outside the playground for them.

There's a memorial on the road and pass it regularly and the sadness of the tragedy still gets to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

On my motorbike riding behind a van on a country road, I was well behind him, he was slowing down indicating right for about 15 seconds, I was wondering what he was at, he came to a complete stop, I positioned myself in line with his left mirror, no space to actually move ahead of him, I was at a standstill at this point too, and what does he do but only reverse quite quickly , he hit my bike, I had to jump off to the left, looking back I was lucky I didn't get my right leg caught in the collision or caught under his wheel. My thumb slipped off the horn, it happened very fast.
    He was delivering couches and he had some of the cushions on his dashboard preventing him from viewing his left mirror and centre mirror , he said he saw me behind him a mile before but thought I had turned off elsewhere and that he would 'TAKE A CHANCE'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

When I was 21 I bought myself a Mitsubishi FTO. Beautiful 2 litre manual Mivec model that was a joy to drive and I was rolling into college like I was the mutts nuts. Life was good until one day some bird t-boned it in a car park. Me, my passengers and the other driver were fine. But it took her insurance company 3 fecking months to fix the car and it was never really right again afterwards. It still hurts to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

fg1406 wrote: »
    Wow so sorry to hear that. That's a trauma you would never ever recover from.

I came across a fatal accident in Wicklow about 14 years ago. At the time the person who died was still alive but it's something that haunts me to this day.

Nah you never really get over it, the flashbacks are horrible but they at least become less frequent over time.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    I wasn't involved but I came across an accident just after it happened. A child killed by a car. The sight of their mother cradling their lifeless body is one image that'll never leave me..

I was held back from mine and wasn't given the bad news until in the hospital. I feel so sorry for the people who witnessed that that day. The stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A very close near miss on my road bike, losing control on a corner. My options were over the bonnet of an on coming car, or a brick wall and ditch.

Managed to line up the bike with the ditch, with the impact sending me over the bars, and clipping the wall. Various scraps and bruises on arms, torso, and legs, from the wall, pedals, and handle bars of bike.

Was only later when I realised how lucky I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I've been fairly lucky, got rear ended by a bus, car was squashed but I walked away without a scratch.

I took a turn on a motorbike, poor grip and the bike fell trapping my arm, fractured in 7 places.

When I was 1, my dad had a bad accident, a lot of damage done to him, he had to learn everything again, from talking to walking and everything else.

Advertisement