Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the biggest mistake you ever made with money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Trading on margin just before the dot com bust. Lost €89k of real cash . Ouch! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Was given 47k in 1990, and another 28k in 1991. A 3 bedroom house at the time was around 25 to 30k. Should have bought 10 houses. Bought 1 and wasted the rest on drink, cars and holidays. Oh to be young again.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you did alright to me!

'I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

elefant wrote: »
    Sounds like you did alright to me!

'I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered'.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Probably not starting to put enough away from an early age. Only really got into my stride with it from 30. Then suddenly realised how hard it is and how long the process will be before I can afford anything tangible - mortgage deposit, etc :eek:

Oh and too many takeaway coffees. I spend about 35 yoyos a week I'd say and have been for about 11 years :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

....... wrote: »
    I'd been hoping to start one this month but the fixer-upper has thrown a few unexpected surprises at us which means it'll be at least another year before I can afford to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Probably not starting to put enough away from an early age. Only really got into my stride with it from 30. Then suddenly realised how hard it is and how long the process will be before I can afford anything tangible - mortgage deposit, etc :eek:

Oh and too many takeaway coffees. I spend about 35 yoyos a week I'd say and have been for about 11 years :cool:

I've never understood the allure of takeaway coffee. I have a coffee machine at home and in work.

At the grand old age of 29 I have never squandered money on anything big. Just because I never had a large amount of money to squander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Sleepy wrote: »
    Actually, as a 36 year old without one, I'd say my single biggest financial mistake is that I never started a pension. I just haven't experienced the pain of it yet.

Its not too late as dotty just said.

I did similar at just short of your age. I left a pensionable, non-contributary job (UK Civil Service), got my pension back and bought a Capri.

When I started another job, I bought back those years. At the time - it seemed awfully painful - well pleased I did now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not saving for a house deposit since i began working full time. With the amount ive been earning since ive been 20 i should have been easily able to afford to save one, but motorbikes, cars, holidays etc took priority. Regretting it now at 31

Hmm.. Works both ways though. You enjoyed motorbikes, cars and holidays while young. How many people when they are older look back and regret they didn't explore/travel more?

I wouldn't be too hung up on this one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Back around late 2012, just before House of Cards was released on Netflix and their streaming service really took off, I thought it was the future (it was) and considered buying shares but I chickened out. They'd be worth about 15 times as much now

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Trusting Ulster Bank to put my wages in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Parachutes wrote: »
    Trusting Ulster Bank to put my wages in.

Is it true that Harry Enfield's Ulsterman is doing their customer service this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Bought a house in 2006, spent 253k on it and it was an absolute wreck. Spent 5 years and about 30k doing it up - spent all my holidays and weekends working on it as I couldn't afford to pay people.

I sold it before Christmas for 220k after having tenants in it for 4 years (it was thrashed twice) and I was always having to subsidise the mortgage.

I think it probably cost me in the region of 60k not to mention the time wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Buying a house at the worst possible time when all and sundry were saying don't. It'll be grand I said. 9 years later and still in neg equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

6541 wrote: »
    Was going out with a bird for 5 years, gave her thousands, like in the ten's of thousands, she turns around and told me she was pregnant with another blokes child ! That was great for the confidence.

At least she was honest and didn't just pretend it was your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Paid for an all inclusive holiday for me and the ex or anything involving her really...... B1tch....... I'm not bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Never made any huge mistakes...bought house before boom and resisted buying an investment apartment like most of my friends or a flat in sunny beach Bulgaria ...was working in a well paying job during the boom ...newly married and no kids... we enjoyed spending our money and had some great times and holidays...remember getting money from ATM and it telling me I was pre-approved for a overdraft of 5,000 and I could do it there and then....credit card the same ,banks throwing money at us ...but **** it I enjoyed it and luckily pulled my head in and got out debt paid off before the bust and luckily he got a great tracker mortgage before the **** hit the fan..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I once threw out a couch without having a look down the back for all my change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

harr wrote: »
    Never made any huge mistakes...bought house before boom and resisted buying an investment apartment like most of my friends or a flat in sunny beach Bulgaria ...was working in a well paying job during the boom ...newly married and no kids... we enjoyed spending our money and had some great times and holidays...remember getting money from ATM and it telling me I was pre-approved for a overdraft of 5,000 and I could do it there and then....credit card the same ,banks throwing money at us ...but **** it I enjoyed it and luckily pulled my head in and got out debt paid off before the bust and luckily he got a great tracker mortgage before the **** hit the fan..

Get out.

Anyone remember the Joe Duffy program where people called in with their stories of extravagance?
    There was a guy who found 500 euro in a pair of jeans at the back of the wardrobe. Never knew he lost it.

Another woman bought a lamp from BT's. When she got home she didn't like it, so just threw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Was given €15k in 2007- was made invest it (so that with any luck I'd have a nice lump of maybe 25k at the end).

Lost all bar  €3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

I lent someone €2500 a few years ago, he swore it was a short term loan for a car payment or something, we were reasonably good mates at the time used to hang out and talk most times. He emigrated a week later and blocked me on social media, phone number stopped working.
    Track him down Liam Neeson style surely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lent a mate €1,500 to get back on his feet after a stint in rehab after many years being "a bit of a drinker". He wanted to rent a place, buy a suit, few bob to keep him going til next pay day. He always got very good jobs but never stuck at anything.

Guess what happened next?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lent a mate €1,500 to get back on his feet after a stint in rehab after many years being "a bit of a drinker". He wanted to rent a place, buy a suit, few bob to keep him going til next pay day. He always got very good jobs but never stuck at anything.

Guess what happened next?

He got a job that he stuck with, paid you back and lived happily ever after?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

He got a job that he stuck with, paid you back and lived happily ever after?

It's a good answer but it's not right.

Got first pay check, went on the piss for a week, lost the job as they were sick of listening to excuses about tooth aches and relations dying, never paid me back...rinse and repeat to this day as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Came off a tracker mortgage, the painnnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Came off a tracker mortgage, the painnnnnnnnnnn

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Did you not get the ring back?

No....she called it off....wore the ring for ages afterwards as she wasn't "ready" to tell people....by the time I'd the gumption to ask for it back it was sold and money spent....I'm neither as young or as stupid these days thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not doing the SSIA.

Not realising how much a new car would depreciate after even just 1 year

Advertisement