Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the biggest mistake you ever made with money

Options
  • 04-01-2017 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

I didn't buy a house during the celtic tiger era so my mistakes probably pale in comparison to some here. I'll regret not studying bitcoin more and buying a couple of 100 when they were a dollar a piece. I bought so much other crap and gambled on junk in my 20's so it was very not like me to not dip my toes in back then.

I regret getting a loan from the bank. Pointless ball and chain I shackled myself with to feed the big man.

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Telecom Eireann shares. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭gifted

Telling the missus I had some....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Having a fairly large (for me anyway) bet on my own horse last week. 2nd!

Or an expensive kinky pair of boots I bought for an ex, she ended it before she worn them! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Increasing the limit of the credit and topping up the loan at the same time during the boom only for it all to come crashing down on me later.
    They were literally throwing money at you.
    Topping up the loan I remember was a matter of minutes over the phone.
    Never again and the credit card now has a 1k limit so if I do use it all I can easily pay it back.
    Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I bought 10 Tayto chocolate bars a few years ago.

Instant regret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I bought 70 hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Spent about £100 on a remote control plane when I was 12, just before they became cheap and easy to maneuver. Crashed it the first time it left the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Bank loan, credit card, car loan, laptop loan. They really were throwing money at you during the Celtic tiger. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

A treadmill worth 600 Euro that became a clothes horse...... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Only 20, so none yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Lit a fire with 2 million dollars in a former life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Credit Union loans in the past also buying my house that I never lived in but rent out. It's well and good for people renting out places in Dublin, Cork or Galway getting big money down here in the sticks we got feck all especially during the bust but tbh the rent is rising in my area now so may look to annoy the tenants with a price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My dad put my annual car insurance into my account when I was a young one (almost 2k if I recall correctly) and I blew it on clothes makeup and sneaking off to London for my friends birthday (she was in college over there).
    I had to lie to him and say I paid it but truth was I had to pay a deposit and paid monthly. That was very stressful having to pull that money together every month myself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Having a joint bank account at one time. I was fleeced.

Having a joint bank account at one time. I was fleeced.

I could well imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

My dad put my annual car insurance into my account when I was a young one (almost 2k if I recall correctly) and I blew it on clothes makeup and sneaking off to London for my friends birthday (she was in college over there).
    I had to lie to him and say I paid it but truth was I had to pay a deposit and paid monthly. That was very stressful having to pull that money together every month myself

But a lesson well learned I'd imagine

Mine was leaving account details accessible to someone who had a gambling addiction- was robbed repeatedly over the years but thankfully was able to absorb the fallout. Same person eventually made a great recovery after a stint in rehab

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That nigerian prince was so convincing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

10k loan over an email from staff business which was supposed to be for a car and I subsequently drank my way through.

It killed me making repayments on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Spent €381 (yes I remember the exact figure) on a remote control car, most of my confirmation money.

My parents gave me a good talk on why it was a waste of money, but let me go ahead and make my own decision. Of course I bought it, and used it about a dozen times.

Ever since then though, I've spent my money far more wisely and have gone on a load of great holidays as a result of not wasting it on rubbish.

Spent €381 (yes I remember the exact figure) on a remote control car, most of my confirmation money.

My parents gave me a good talk on why it was a waste of money, but let me go ahead and make my own decision. Of course I bought it, and used it about a dozen times.

Ever since then though, I've spent my money far more wisely and have gone on a load of great holidays as a result of not wasting it on rubbish.

All's well that ends well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Spent all my money on women, drugs and alcohol. I squandered the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Telecom Eireann shares. :(

I bought them and got out with a tidy little profit. Got out fairly quick before they took a bath.

Worst purchase for me was my first and only home in February 2007. 10 years paying in and still very much in negative equity territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Buying a brand new car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I bought them and got out with a tidy little profit. Got out fairly quick before they took a bath.

Worst purchase for me was my first and only home in February 2007. 10 years paying in and still very much in negative equity territory.

Same here, only I did it with an ex and now trying to figure out how to get her name off the deeds as she has nothing to do with it any more and I just want it in my own name. harsh lesson that i relive every waking second

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My second house.
    When I bought my first, I was only 22 or 23, I turned that around fairly quickly and made enough for a deposit for a bigger house. Because the 1st went through so smoothly I didn't research the 2nd enough, I didnt consider advice from others and look at alternatives. I was left was the very small house, where property prices had crumbled and ending up losing over 100k on it (buy price compared to sell price)

That and a **** load of cars that I only kept for a year max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Flirted with the idea of buying a small house around the same time as a friend of mine but decided it was too much at a young age. He eventually made an absolute packet on his and lives in a smashing house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Spent €400 on an iPod in August 2004.
    These are amazing, Apple is going to be huge, I should buy shares!

But I procrastinated and didn't invest.

The same €400 would be worth circa 20k today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Taking it for granted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A mistake I've been making for years and continue to make - not putting a few quid away regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I bought a mad car when I was 17 for around €6,000, gave major trouble and was seemingly unfixable

9 years later it still rots away in a shed

Advertisement