Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Obesity

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I can't eat porridge because it gives me the ****s..

Not necessarily a bad thing, its quite calorie dense, especially with milk obviously, unless your portions are very low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

learn_more wrote: »
    Thank you very much for forcing me to read this fake piece of scientific garbage that turned out to be nothing more than an advertisement for a food supplement to be used in conjunction with their recommenced diet of fasting completely but taking their supplement just to get in the essential vitamins and minerals.

As soon as I started reading it I knew it was total garbage and forced myself to read it to the end to see what it was all about so I could come back here and ridicule you linking to this article. How anyone could be so naive as to take anything in that article seriously from the get go is beyond me. It's extremely badly written for a start and half of it doesn't make any sense not to mention the number of times it contradicts itself in later paragraphs.

Hammer89, you have just made a total arse of yourself in this thread, for the last time I hope.

I don't think you're qualified to discredit FOUR doctors who wrote a study, not an article, about a subject they've been involved in since 1982 pal. This is because you chop scallions and truffles for a living. If I want your advice it'll be about the one-night-a-week culinary studies course at the Marino College of Further Education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

learn_more wrote: »

Hammer89, you have just made a total arse of yourself in this thread, for the last time I hope.

Mod

Don't post in this thread again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hammer89 wrote: »
    That's a good point, but sabotaging a diet opens the door for guilt and shame to take hold and it is really, really hard to draw a line under the binge and start fresh the next day. In my experience, you wouldn't get back on the horse until the following Monday, even if the slip-up happened on a Tuesday. And when Monday comes, if I didn't eat exactly every three hours - and I do mean exactly, like, to the minute - then that, in my ill mind, was cause to terminate the diet. To people like OP that'll sound like a cop-out; a get-out clause which the obese person triggers to allow him to revert back to their old ways, but there is a link between perfectionism and obesity which shouldn't be ignored. You have to be ultra meticulous at the beginning.

That's kind of my point. You want to be in the headspace that gets you back on the right track the fastest. Forgive yourself small indiscretions and move on.

If you end up getting KFC for dinner, don't think that your diet is ruined and go mad on Dorritos and ice-cream. Just eat your KFC and move back to the right track.

I have a theory that people would be better learning to eat healthily before they try to lose weight. Instead of fighting against combined sugar cravings and caloric deficits, you first beat the sugar cravings by getting onto proper food and once that's stable you can start reducing the amount. This is an unsubstantiated theory however. I haven't backed it up with things like science or research. Just theory :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Learn how to cook fresh food and learn how to use spices by finding the right recipes.
    I was absolutely bored cooking the same stuff every day and more than was healty ordered in.

Now i go to websites like hellofresh, download recipes and end up eating something different every day for months before i repeat one again.
    Yes it is a bit more work than sticking a pizza in the oven but if the result is so much better than any of those take aways, ready-to-go meals, who cares?

• Advertisement
Advertisement