Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Obesity

Options
  • 04-01-2017 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

A shocking deliberate ignorance of the contents off food.

And a shocking attitude of spending less in lieu of eating well.

Every foodstuff has varying percentages of protein/carbohydrates/fats. ( macros)

That's 3 things. Even someone with the lowest IQ ever can understand this.

Tactic 1: Playing Dumb

Playing Dumb: Please tell me what macros are in every single foodstuff you can buy, otherwise I haven't a clue.

Playing Dumb: I buy a pizza and I don't know what it's made up off, veg and bread. Don't know what veg is, don't know what bread is.

Playing Dumb: I don't know how to cook. Boiling something is completely beyond my skill set, yet sticking a pizza in the oven , is.

Tactic 2: Normalising Junk food.

1. Full English breakfast.

Junk food: Greasy sausages, ketchup, baked beans ( sugar) , sauces. Fried.

2. Fish and chips.

Junk Food: The kind you get in a take-away. The Brits say it's their signature dish. No wonder the French hate the English. Yummy deep fried food.

3. Italian food ( pasta and pizza )

Junk Food: Nothing wrong with pasta but the sauces Irish ppl eat with it are full of sugar and salt. Tasty. Sure.

4. Drink

Junk Food: All fake drinks like cola and orange flavoured drinks. Horrible sugar infested drinks that are per gulp are quite expensive.

5. Breakfast cereals

Junk Food: Weird unnatural 'things' in your cereal bowl. Pour on full fat milk to make is seem your being healthy.

Tactic 3: Emotional Excuses

1: My lad loves his coco pops in the morning.
    2. I love to see the joy on my kids face when I give them a few coco bottles
    3. They keep badgering me for a few treats, I just have to give in.

The Truth

I don't think there is a person with 2 brain cells who doesn't know what good food is.

People who eat unhealthily surround themselves with people who eat unhealthily, and if that means their children will be unhealthy too, then so be it.

And this is my final point. People would rather spend less of their wages than spend it on good food. Stinge. You can buy a peppeorin pizza in tesco for 99cent. It's quite tasty too. Once every 2 months though, not ever other day.

I worked in catering as a cook for years. Most of cooking is laboriousness chopping and cleaning. This is the thing ppl want to avoid and pretend 'they cant cook'.

Final final point: If the government put a huge tax on sugary drinks and junk food, I'd be all for it. I think the motivation for eating bad food is born out a tightness of money, and if cheepiness and lazyness were taken out of the equation, I bet ya, suddenly ppl would be able to cook proper food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Obesity is a complex and multi faceted issue. One factor you forgot is time - good takes time to prepare and cook. Time is a precious commodity that a lot of people don't have between huge work schedules and commuting etc so it's quicker to pickups takeaway or something that can be thrown in the oven or fryer...... but sure keep tarring everyone there with that ould brush......

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

That Tesco 99c pizza is mank dude! Dr. Oetker for me. It's made by a doctor so you know it's good for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

If i want to be a fat lazy junk food eating person then that's my choice leave me alone with my Large Big Mac meal and Oreo McFlurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

No need to quote the entire op.

Relax. Look after yourself. Stop worrying about others.

Nobody is getting out alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm starving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Porridge in the morning takes only a few minutes in the microwave, add fruit and some whole milk and you have a delicious and healthy breakfast, which is cheaper than cereals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I love rock 'n' roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So put another dime in the jukebox baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I often think programmes like Operation Transformation should just consist of a half hour of big white all caps letters on screen with a black background reading:

EAT LESS

EXCERCISE MORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sounds like the title of Jamie Oliver's next tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Fortunately, my gattaca like genes mean that none of this will ever bother me or my descendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

RobertKK wrote: »
    Porridge in the morning takes only a few minutes in the microwave, add fruit and some whole milk and you have a delicious and healthy breakfast, which is cheaper than cereals.
    Then why is it only the fat ****s that I work with who are munching on bran flakes and chopped banana most mornings? They must be fcuking starving by the time they get home. It's then an all out assault on fatty foods. Half of these dat fcuks have the Chinese take away on speed dial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

fh041205 wrote: »
    That Tesco 99c pizza is mank dude! Dr. Oetker for me. It's made by a doctor so you know it's good for you ;)

Yes,I herd that too.
    Made by a doctor,no downside there!I understand that if you eat enough of them you will be cured of any illness.I have a chest freezer full of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

The truth about obesity is that it's caused by consuming too much calories and expending too few. That's the extent of it - not sure overthinking it is necessary.

WHY people consume too much calories can be a more complex matter (yeah sometimes just sheer gluttony/laziness, but other times food addiction, food as a go-to to deal with trauma - like how alcohol can be abused).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm eating my breakfast Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

screamer wrote: »
    Obesity is a complex and multi faceted issue. One factor you forgot is time - good takes time to prepare and cook. Time is a precious commodity that a lot of people don't have between huge work schedules and commuting etc so it's quicker to pickups takeaway or something that can be thrown in the oven or fryer...... but sure keep tarring everyone there with that ould brush......

Tactic 5: Time

I'm too busy to cook. It's the society we live in . So that means when I get a take-away it has to be a bad one. It's not my fault that the take-aways that are available are unhealthy. I would much rather have a take-away that provided me with a few vegetables and a grilled chicken breast.

Tactic 6: Questioning motives for advice

Anyone who suggests a better way does so just to put people down. Just so they can feel better about themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Yes we need to take the "cheepiness and lazyness out of the equation " and also the stuffer facery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Then why is it only the fat ****s that I work with who are munching on bran flakes and chopped banana most mornings? They must be fcuking starving by the time they get home. It's then an all out assault on fatty foods. Half of these dat fcuks have the Chinese take away on speed dial

It should be easy to put something like a chicken breast in a preheated oven, maybe flavour it with some spices and roast for a little over 25 minutes.
    Meanwhile have some vegetables cooking like broccoli, carrots and potatoes cooking and eating it about 30 minutes after starting to cook.

Then combine all that with exercise.
    Maybe they should move to the countryside where there is no takeaway to ring up for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

fh041205 wrote: »
    Dr. Oetker for me. It's made by a doctor so you know it's good for you ;)

I buy them in bulk when they're reduced to €2 in my local SuperValu. I wouldn't have one for dinner, but they're great as a late afternoon snack, between lunch and dinner.

This thread's making me hungry. Is it too late for a bowl of Frosties? No, it isn't.

Yes we need to take the "cheepiness and lazyness out of the equation " and also the stuffer facery.

Tactic 7

Take general observations personally.

Tactic 8

Ridicule the person who gives a honest critique of what he sees around him.

Tactic 9

Suggest that anyone who cares about obesity and comments on it is akin to taking away a child's toy. Nasty people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

learn_more wrote: »
    A shocking deliberate ignorance of the contents off food.

And a shocking attitude of spending less in lieu of eating well.

Every foodstuff has varying percentages of protein/carbohydrates/fats. ( macros)

That's 3 things. Even someone with the lowest IQ ever can understand this.

Tactic 1: Playing Dumb

Playing Dumb: Please tell me what macros are in every single foodstuff you can buy, otherwise I haven't a clue.

Playing Dumb: I buy a pizza and I don't know what it's made up off, veg and bread. Don't know what veg is, don't know what bread is.

Playing Dumb: I don't know how to cook. Boiling something is completely beyond my skill set, yet sticking a pizza in the oven , is.

Tactic 2: Normalising Junk food.

1. Full English breakfast.

Junk food: Greasy sausages, ketchup, baked beans ( sugar) , sauces. Fried.

2. Fish and chips.

Junk Food: The kind you get in a take-away. The Brits say it's their signature dish. No wonder the French hate the English. Yummy deep fried food.

3. Italian food ( pasta and pizza )

Junk Food: Nothing wrong with pasta but the sauces Irish ppl eat with it are full of sugar and salt. Tasty. Sure.

4. Drink

Junk Food: All fake drinks like cola and orange flavoured drinks. Horrible sugar infested drinks that are per gulp are quite expensive.

5. Breakfast cereals

Junk Food: Weird unnatural 'things' in your cereal bowl. Pour on full fat milk to make is seem your being healthy.

Tactic 3: Emotional Excuses

1: My lad loves his coco pops in the morning.
    2. I love to see the joy on my kids face when I give them a few coco bottles
    3. They keep badgering me for a few treats, I just have to give in.

The Truth

I don't think there is a person with 2 brain cells who doesn't know what good food is.

People who eat unhealthily surround themselves with people who eat unhealthily, and if that means their children will be unhealthy too, then so be it.

And this is my final point. People would rather spend less of their wages than spend it on good food. Stinge. You can buy a peppeorin pizza in tesco for 99cent. It's quite tasty too. Once every 2 months though, not ever other day.

I worked in catering as a cook for years. Most of cooking is laboriousness chopping and cleaning. This is the thing ppl want to avoid and pretend 'they cant cook'.

Final final point: If the government put a huge tax on sugary drinks and junk food, I'd be all for it. I think the motivation for eating bad food is born out a tightness of money, and if cheepiness and lazyness were taken out of the equation, I bet ya, suddenly ppl would be able to cook proper food.

May I ask if this is all just a personal opinion or the result of a wide survey? In my considerable experience of living on very little ( on disability then a pension) simple good food costs far less than junk food.

I do not think "motivation for eating bad food" is down to being tight with money. Far from it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It should be easy to put something like a chicken breast in a preheated oven, maybe flavour it with some spices and roast for a little over 25 minutes.
    Meanwhile have some vegetables cooking like broccoli, carrots and potatoes cooking and eating it about 30 minutes after starting to cook.

Then combine all that with exercise.
    Maybe they should move to the countryside where there is no takeaway to ring up for delivery.

lovely idea and a man after my own heart but try offering that to kids these days.. or grown up kids ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great, avoid obesity, live healthily into your 90s where you have dementia or Alzheimer's and your family have to pay for a Filipino nurse to wipe your bum. Your pension ran out because you loved too long and your family are burdened by your existence.

Then there is the fact that you were a health nut for all those years. Your grand kids certainly didn't like you because you never gave them the good stuff when they came to visit before you went absent minded. You have no friends anymore because they died after living full and unhealthy lives. And you have nothing to pass down in terms of a will because everybody had to pay for your health care.

Live life, live hard, eat the stuff you want, drink the stuff you want, do things that make you happy.

Graces7 wrote: »

I do not think "motivation for eating bad food" is down to being tight with money. Far from it.

Tactic 10

People don't want to learn the hard truth.

Food was never that cheap. Junk food came in and made food cheaper than it ever was. Largely due to freezers and food scientists who figured out a way to transport food over vast distances and keep it edible. By injecting hydrogenated fats and sugar to preserve them as well.

If people were educated about bad food, and they should be, then they would know that junk food is xtra cheap.

I think that some ppl spend about 5% of their income on rotten food, when they know full well if they wanted to enjoy good food the spend would come to more like 20%. And it doesn't even have to be the much.

So, I think you know exactly what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Tactic 11

Label as a Tactic every response that doesn't agree with you.

Great, avoid obesity, live healthily into your 90s where you have dementia or Alzheimer's and your family have to pay for a Filipino nurse to wipe your bum. Your pension ran out because you loved too long and your family are burdened by your existence.

Then there is the fact that you were a health nut for all those years. Your grand kids certainly didn't like you because you never gave them the good stuff when they came to visit before you went absent minded. You have no friends anymore because they died after living full and unhealthy lives. And you have nothing to pass down in terms of a will because everybody had to pay for your health care.

Live life, live hard, eat the stuff you want, drink the stuff you want, do things that make you happy.

Tactic 11

Eating healthy makes you 'a health nut'.

There was no junk food once, say 100 years ago. Were they all health nuts then?

Tactic 12

Your taking away all my pleasures

That just shows how much ppl are addicted to junk food.

Tactic 13

Do what the hell you want:

Erm, that would make for perfectly wonderful society. Why have any rules at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

non-soy dairy-based soy sauce, steel-cut spelt husks ... free-range gluten, and ultra-vegan invisible cheese

non-soy dairy-based soy sauce, steel-cut spelt husks ... free-range gluten, and ultra-vegan invisible cheese

As long as it's not deep fried I've have slice. You don't have to dip it in Ketchup to make it tasty do you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

As long as it's not deep fried I've have slice. You don't have to dip it in Ketchup to make it tasty do you ?

Iron helps us play

• Advertisement

Tactic 10

People don't want to learn the hard truth.

Food was never that cheap. Junk food came in and made food cheaper than it ever was. Largely due to freezers and food scientists who figured out a way to transport food over vast distances and keep it edible. By injecting hydrogenated fats and sugar to preserve them as well.

If people were educated about bad food, and they should be, then they would know that junk food is xtra cheap.

I think that some ppl spend about 5% of their income on rotten food, when they know full well if they wanted to enjoy good food the spend would come to more like 20%. And it doesn't even have to be the much.

So, I think you know exactly what I'm getting at.[/QUOTE]

Really? I do not think so! :rolleyes:

Where do you shop? Simple good food IS cheap. ALDI have the super6 offers every week .. so please do not accuse me of ignorance! I cannot eat junk food because of a medical issue but eat simply and well and inexpensively.

As do many I know.

Ah well!

Advertisement