Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh very good and who are you doing it for..?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Week beginning 15th of May

Monday: 10km
    Tuesday: 8 x 200 metres with 40 seconds break
    Wednesday: 40 minute Tempo run Average 4.09/km
    Thursday: 10km
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

A quiet week running this week. My plan for this was to get used to my new runners more than anything else. So for the 10km runs I wore my new runs and for the other sessions I used my old runners. From this week on I am in my new runners only. They are as comfortable as a pair of slippers.

I decided not to do a long run this week. The reason is trying to start my marathon training nice and fresh. Also from the first Sunday in June it will be 18 long runs ahead, so making the most of one or two last Sunday sleep ins. Had a nice fry just to treat myself.

I have finalized races to run as part of my marathon program.

June 17: 10km
    July 16: 10 mile
    August 13: Half Marathon

The Half marathon should be a fun weekend. I have an exam on August 12 so depending on how that goes I might be in for a half marathon world record...

Might also do a few graded meets also.

This Week

Another easy week, just to keep the legs ticking over. Something similar to last week. Although I will get a run in on Friday/Saturday also.

Short post this week.
    Thanks for reading.

Week Beginning May 22nd

Tuesday: 10 x 200km
    Wednesday: 40 minute tempo
    Friday: 25KM recovery cycle
    Saturday: Off

No long run this weekend so enjoyed a nice sleep in on Sunday morning. Went for a recovery cycle on Friday. Leaving at 6 am, it was awesome. It was made a bit easier meeting up with people to do it. I would like to put in a recovery cycle in my marathon training plan instead of a recovery run. We will see how it goes anyway.

The week ahead
    Finally the day is here. 18 weeks to go until the Marathon. I am using the p&d advanced marathon plan. I have used it before for the Dublin Marathon. I am not doing all the sessions in the plan at the moment. I think there is 10 running sessions on it but for this week I am just doing the 7.

So for this week; Monday 10km, Tuesday, 16km, Wednesday 19km, Thursday 10km, Friday, 16km, Saturday 10km and Long run Sunday 25km. As luck would have it Tuesday to Thursday is a busy few days for me so a bit of rejigging needed.

I would like to keep my Wednesday tempo runs and going to athletics training on Tuesday.

I am heading off to Cork this weekend. I am not doing the Cork marathon, so will be a spectator. I intend to start my long run early so I can run a bit of the route long before any of the runners will be running it. For the long run I intend to break it down into something like 3 x 7km with a 1km gap between each set and a spare 1km at the start and end.

Anyway thanks for reading. Have a good week.

Week beginning May 29th

Took the first steps on the training road to Cologne.

A very enjoyable week. I knew the week would be busy so getting all the sessions in would be difficult but manageable. Unfortunately a small window I had on Thursday ended up been shut closed. So I missed out on that session.

What I did get to do was;

Tuesday: 16km
    Wednesday: 19km
    Thursday: Missed
    Friday: 16km
    Saturday: 10km
    Sunday: 26km

Sundays long run was good. I broke it down into 3 sets of 7km with a kilometre break in between. The time for the 1st set was 27.32, 2nd set 28.00 and the third was 31.31. The last set was a real dog of a run. For the whole 26 km I averaged 4.17/km. I was monitoring my heart rate during the rest km to make sure it was really low before starting again. Not sure I would do this every week for my long run but maybe every now and again.

I also wanted to get it done before the Cork Marathon would be approaching the last few miles so I could get to see it. Unfortunately I missed the first men to come through but got to see all the way to the 4.30 pacers.

A good first week to start with. Hope for more of the same to come.

6/7
    Runs completed/Runs Scheduled

This Week
    Monday: 10km Recovery
    Tuesday: 6km in the Morning, Athletics training pm.
    Wednesday: 21KM
    Thursday: 1Okm
    Friday: 19KM
    Saturday: 27km
    Sunday: 10km

Have to move my long run this weekend from Sunday to Saturday. 8 running sessions this week, so more moving things around again.

Have a good week. Thanks for reading.

Week beginning June 5th- Week 2 on the road to Cologne.

So having asked a few questions of people in the sub three hour forum and at athletics I have realized the importance to slow down. I also dug out the P+D book just to give it another re read. I think I was a bit over eager last week with the way I did my long run. So part of the week was to remember the goal isn't to get to the start line but get to the end line. Saying that...I am finding it hard to run with the hand break up.

I managed to fit all my runs this week. A bit of a mix up on Tuesday meant what I had planned to do ended up been and 5 mile run. I also manged to get pilates class in. I had missed out for a while so it was good to be back at it.

My watch failed on me for one of my runs. I had to rejig my week to fit my long run in. I knew I would be out on Saturday night and wouldn't be in a position to do it the following day. So it ended up doing three or four of this weeks runs in the morning. Getting up on Saturday morning to go running was a struggle.

Monday: 10km recovery
    Tuesday: 8 km with even miles fast
    Wednesday: 21KM
    Thursday: 8KM recovery & pilates
    Friday: 19 KM watch failed
    Saturday: 27KM with 13km at marathon pace.
    Sunday: 5 km recovery

13/14

The week ahead

This week has a 10km race this weekend, so looking forward to that.

Have a good week, thanks for reading.

Week Beginning June 12th- Week 3; First preparation race.

Tuesday: 16km with 8km at marathon pace
    Wednesday: 22km
    Thursday: 10km recovery & Pilates
    Friday: Missed due to getting delayed in work.
    Saturday: 10km race in Wicklow.
    Sunday: 29km run LSR

19/21

A good weeks running. Missed my Friday run because I got delayed in work and had to head back out so only had a small window. I thought it was better to use that small window to eat dinner rather than do a run.

This week included a race. I love the heat and running in it but Saturday was the most uncomfortable heat I have ever ran in. Like other races I arrived early. Got a chance to walk around the start and finish of the race. Picked my point where I would give another last kick to finish. Nice warm up and trying to stay hydrated. Headed off to the start line about 20 minutes to go. Usually its sheltering from the wind of rain but on Saturday I was sheltering in the shade of a truck. I had planned to try and keep it at 3.45/km for the 10km. This was never going to happen today.

Route was straight forward out 5km turn around and back. So this race became tactical. I knew I would catch the runner ahead of me but when I turned I could see how close the runner behind me was. He was closer than I thought but a bit of gap. If I took the foot of the peddle he would catch me but I did need to manage the heat and not blow up altogether. I did know once I got to point where I would kick on he wouldn't catch me.

Ended up finishing second with a time of 38.58. This is over a minute slower than my best time but given conditions I am happy. Had a nice chat with a few people afterwards, first time ever everyone I was talking too was talking in kilometres.

This week a lot of rejigging needed now. Heading away on a stag on Friday but also have a end of year work function on Thursday evening.

Wednesday: 10km in the morning and 8 km in the evening, both recovery
    Thursday: 32km Long slow run
    Friday: Travelling
    Saturday: 10km recovery
    Sunday: 10 km recovery pm.

Thanks for reading, keep enjoying the sunny weather.

• Advertisement

Week Beginning June 19th- Week 4 - A different type of marathon

This week I had a bit of rejigging to do. I had known from Thursday night on I had a work function also on Friday morning I was flying out on a stag, so opportunities to run were going to be limited. Main thing was I still got my long run in.

Tuesday: 16km with 10 x 100m strides
    Wednesday: AM 10km Recovery. PM 8km recovery.
    Thursday: 32KM
    Friday: none
    Saturday: 6km recovery
    Sunday: none.

25/28

This week I found out the importance of a recovery run. Before the run you think jeeze my legs are sore, tired maybe I can sit it out. However when you get back the soreness/tiredness is all gone from you legs. Long run was a monster. From Thursday to this evening when I had a recovery pizza, my diet was awful. I don't like chips but the nature of the weekend ended up with me eating a lot of fast and fried food, so looking forward to getting that back to normal. I don't usually do that type of thing anymore so every once and a while isn't bad. The next time I will be doing out like that again is after the marathon or the wedding day of the stag, which is a few weeks after the marathon.

For the week ahead a lot more rejigging needed. Probably will miss running on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Just a bad back to back week for me. Main priority is to still fit in my long run. This is 32km again this weekend.

After this week, time wise I should be freeing up a bit.

Thanks for reading. Have an enjoyable week.

Week Beginning June 25th - Week 5-

Monday:
    Tuesday:
    Wednesday:
    Thursday: 8km and Pilates
    Friday: 22km
    Saturday: 13km
    Sunday: 32 km with 16km @ marathon pace

Another awkward week. I was away with work Monday to Thursday lunchtime so missed a good bit of running this week. I still managed 75km from Thursday on so it wasn't a complete wasted week. The main thing I couldn't miss out was my long run so glad I got that in. That also need a bit of squeezing in. Had to be in Croke Park early yesterday so had to have my run done and dusted before 10am so very early start for my long run.

29/35

For the week ahead; the plan has it as a recovery week. The only run at the moment that is causing me a problem is Tuesday. May have to cut the 16km or move it.

Wednesday: 21km
    Friday:19KM
    Saturday:13KM
    Sunday: 26km

Only 89 days to go.

Thanks for reading.

Week Beginning July 3rd - Week 6 - Time to pull up the Hand Break

Tuesday: 8km with 1 km flat out
    Wednesday: 21km
    Thursday: 10km & pilates
    Friday: 19km
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

Week started off all going to plan. I knew Tuesday would be tight so had to reduce the distance planned and just did 8km. All standard enough until Thursdays run. Felt a little pain in my foot. Nothing majorly uncomfortable. So Friday I set off on my medium long run and started to get a pain in my achilles. The start of my run is undulating, so made allowances for that to start with. When it did level out the pain did subside, but the pain was always there. Got home anyway and found it hard to walk.

So while I don't class myself as injured yet, I am resting. If I continued it was only going to go one way. Keep on running with it isn't going to make it better. So I rested Saturday and Sunday, with a physio appointment made for Monday afternoon. We will take it from there then.

In the space of 48 hours or so it has improved. The Friday night it was very sore but easing now.

Was bouncing ball with another friend of mine as to find out why it is sore. I have had achilles pain before but that was in the other foot and due to a fall. That was also 18 months ago. So some of the reasons we came up with are:

- Running shows- Maybe haven't been comfortable in this new pair of shoes as I was last year.
    - Stretching -Other than pilates, there is a lack of stretching in my week.
    -Warming up/cooling down- Not great needs structure and consistency
    -Pace- One of the mantra from the DCM novices group last year was slow down. My recovery runs need to be slower and my other runs should be at the pace I do my recovery runs at.
    - Sports massage- I had planned this week to start going back weekly, now it looks like I must.
    -Rest- Either you listen to your body or the body will stop.

I am far enough out from the marathon to get it right although I had planned a tune up race next weekend so will take advisement from Mondays appointment.

Thanks for reading and hopefully a more positive update next week.

Week beginning July 10th - Week 7- No much to see here.

A week of nothing but rest. Concerned about my achilles so stopped running this week. I would like to say this gave me an opportunity to put my feet up but in work I spent most of the week running around so it wasn't total rest.

Monday I got a massage on it and booked in again for this Monday coming. Pilates on Thursday. On Friday I went for a 25 minute run, it felt ok but still some pain. So I decided to hold off doing anything until tomorrow. I had planned to run the Tullamore Mullingar 10 mile race this morning but I don't think it would be in anyway beneficial to me. Disappointed to miss out on a race but in the long run it is for the best.

Next race up will be the rock and roll half marathon in August.

So the week ahead;

Monday; 10km, massage and we will go from there.

Hopefully more to report next week.

Thanks for reading.

Week Beginning July 17th - Week 8- On the road again

Coming back around from Achilles injury. Still not 100% but a huge improvement.

Monday: 10km and Massage
    Tuesday: 15 minute light run
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: 10km and Pilates
    Friday: Off

Need a bit of a boost so booked my flights to Germany for the Marathon.

This week; Plan is to get back on track with the plan. Feels a lot better. Massage also this week and pilates.

We are now 9 weeks plus race week to go.

• Advertisement

Week Beginning July 24th - Week 9- Back up and running.

First full week of running nearly injury free. Took the week one day at a time. On Wednesday for the first time going to up the distance, I applied the ASFI principal. (As sure f*ck it). I needed to test it out over longer distance. If I had any problems I would have stopped. No problem at all with the achilles now. Obviously going to keep monitoring it and treating it.

Monday: 10km and massage
    Tuesday: 3.6 km
    Wednesday: 24KM
    Thursday: 10km and pilates
    Friday: 22km
    Saturday: 32KM
    Sunday: 16km

So last week was a big boost to confidence.

This week;

I have pilates and massage as part of my normal week routine. I am also running a 10km on the bank holiday Monday so easing back on over this weekend coming. So my longest run this week coming is 21km.

Beir Bua

Week beginning July 31st with DLR Bay 10km report

Good solid week. A bit of a shorter distance week leading into today DLR Bay 10km.

Tuesday: 7.2km
    Wednesday: 16KM with 1 km fall out
    Thursday: 21km
    Friday: 1Okm
    Saturday: 16km
    Sunday 3.2km.

I had planned to do my long run on Friday but moved it as I had ended up do activities to get the brownie points up before going to Croke Park on Saturday (shouldn't have bothered) and Sunday.

I will add my race report now as it is nice and fresh.

Pre-race targets. Overall 37.30, Half way point 19 mins, 8 km 30 minutes.

Starting to make a regular routine now before races. Park up a little walk to the end line, find a landmark close to the end to finish strong from. After that headed back to the car to get ready. Walked down towards the start line where I went through my full warm up. Starting to get very warm now. Into my pen for the start. A strange start, the gun seemed to catch us all by surprise.

0-2 km (3.30/km, 3.44/km)
    Usual story started off to fast for the first km. Would have liked to have kept it more steady but nothing damaging. Into a bit of a head wind.

3-4km (3.57/km, 3.43/km)
    Getting tough going up hill end up in a group of 4, working well together.

5-6 (3.55/km, 3.59/km)
    Going over half way by my watch at 5km I am 12 seconds up, by the 5 km marker I am bang on 19 minutes. Still a gradual incline.

7-8 (3.45/km, 3.36/km)
    Heading down hill now. Can feel it building up. In a group of three now. I need to kick my mind back in action as the start to pull away. So a few steps and I am back in with them. Going past the 8km marker a bit outside the 30 minutes.

9-10 (3.44/km, 3.31/km)
    Pace really starting to crank up now. Feeling strong and moving well. Hit my landmark but its uphill a bit and into a wind so I hold back until I get over the hump and then go. The big screen by the finish is a good addition. Cross the line by my watch 37.30, by the chip 37.32 and gun time 37.35. So whichever number you want to take from that.

Either of the three is a new pb. My previous pb was 37.36 so glad to get over the line. Also a 30 second improvement on last years run.

I like this run and this is my third time to run it. Well organised with lots of well marshaled junctions.

This week, is going to be a bit messy. I have an exam on Saturday followed by the Rock and Roll half on Sunday. As it is a week into a race day there is not much long distances so I can fit in my running around study. But I am looking forward to the run on Sunday.

Beir Bua.

Week beginning August 7th.

Monday: DLR Bay 10km
    Tuesday: 7.3km
    Wednesday 10KM and massage
    THursday: 1OKM with one km flat out
    Friday: 10km
    Saturday: 3.2km
    Sunday: Rock and Roll Half.

This week was mainly about recovering from the race on the bank holiday and getting ready for the race yesterday.

Rock and Roll Race Report

My plan orignally was to run with the 90 minute pacer up until 11km and kick off myself than for the last 10km. This is similar to my plan for the marathon. Stay with the 3 hour pacer up to 32km and kick off myself.

What actually happened? I got into my coral couldn't find the 90 minute pacer. When I did I was to far ahead of him so I decided to go on my own.

The weekend wasn't great in terms of rest to be honest. On Saturday I was up early for an exam all day and on Saturday night I would say I got two and a half hours sleep if that. Up at 5 on Sunday for the 8.30 start.

0-5 km
    Started out fast but comfortable. No problems so far. A few steep hills but ok.

5-10km
    Still moving well, no problems at all really. Some nice downhill bits. So far only one kilometre is over 4 minutes.

10km to 15 km

Moving down towards the park. That is a very long long road. Around here I got hit with a bit of a stitch. Never happened before I was coming up to taking a gel time. Anyway no woe is me attitude so I stayed with it and it passed.

15 to Finish

In the park now. After a bit of a struggle outside the park inside I got another little boost. Hitting the hilly bit in the park, I realised how strong I felt. A mixture of knowing we were nearly finished. Ended up in a loose group of 4. Usually I would walk the finish and find a go point. I couldn't do that this time but I know the finish was back on Chesterfield Avenue and not to far from the turn. So turning back into Chesterfield Avenue I hit the accelerator and took off.

Crossing the line in 1.21.00 on the button according to my watch. The race clock and chip time had me at 1.20.43 which I don't understand. I didn't start my watch early or leave it running after the race. Anyway taking the 1.21.00 time that is a 3 minute 54 second pb for me.

Now I have an issue. What do I do for the marathon? Keep it safe and go with the three hour pacer up to 10km to go as I planned or go my self and see how I do it on my own.

Really enjoyed the alcofree beer after the race. Not sure if it was nice or just be wanting to drink anything at that time. The concert was great nice just to relax a bit although if the weather was like it is now, it would be fairly miserable and the Rip-tide movement would be playing to themselves.

After that, it was off to Croke Park, where we had a nice relaxing stand on the Hill.

Thanks to the volunteers who helped with the trucks and water stations etc.

Anyway for this week ahead it will be move recovery work up till Thursday/Friday and see how we feel after that. Also some consideration on my marathon strategy. Any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Marathon is getting close now...Its building

Beir Bua

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you'd be mad to go with the 3 hour guys.

Even by moderate calculators, you should be looking at 2:49 (6:29 pace) - unless your long runs have been inconsistent?

you'd be mad to go with the 3 hour guys.

Even by moderate calculators, you should be looking at 2:49 (6:29 pace) - unless your long runs have been inconsistent?

Thanks. From talking to people and the sub 3 hour thread I am thinking of forgetting the pacers and heading off by myself now alright.
    There will only be so many opportunities so to let this one pass would be mad.

Week beginning August 14th- 6 weeks to go.

Following on from the Rock and Roll Half, the start of this week was all recovery runs. I felt tired and sore right up till Tuesday night. I had to catch a train on Friday straight after work so my only opition was to run before work, but I felt staying in bed would be the better thing for me. With the weekend running to come I think it was the correct decision.

Saturdays 16km was comfortable and I felt fresh. Sundays monster of a run is always a nice confidence boost. Having discussed on the Sub three hour forum and asked a few people I set out with targeted marathon pace + 1 minute per mile (5/8 of a minute for those who like km). I felt really comfortable doing it. It helped I think that is was wet so it was nice and cool. Like usually my water belt would be bone dry at the end of a long run but I had water left at the end of it.

But everyday is a school day. Charge the bloody watch. As I was away for the weekend I forgot both my watch charger and my phone charger. My battery died on the 36 kilometre. I went on map my run so to check my distance so ended up with 39.3 km or so.

Tuesday: 10km
    Wednesday: 10km & massage
    Thursday: 10km & pilates
    Friday: off
    Saturday: 16km
    Sunday: 39km

This week;
    Breaking out the marathon runners this week. Long run at the weekend is 22 miles, with a 15 mile run mid week.

Last week I really considered my marathon strategy and from talking around I was setting the bar a bit low. So I will say goodbye to the pacers idea anyway. There is only so many opportunities I will get to give this amount of time and be in this condition so I have to make the most of it.

Beir bua

Week beginning August 21st- 5 weeks to go.

Where is the time going. Was only thinking mid week I did my first long run of this programme on the June bank holiday. Its gone in a flash really. Good week, tough week. Long run was enjoyable and took in a route I had never done before or even thought of doing up to now. No massage this week.

Also had to rearrange my week as I missed out on running on Wednesday.

Tuesday: 13.2km tempo
    Wednesday: Off - Nice trip to Belfast. Recommend a trip to the Titanic quarter to anyone.
    Thursday: 24km and pilates
    Friday: 19km
    Saturday: 16km with 8 x 100 metre strides
    Sunday: 35km followed by a trip to Croke Park.

Marathon is really getting close now. Yesterday was my cut off point so no more alcohol now until after the marathon. Not that there was too much in the first place.

This week should be all ok for running. Last full week before heading back to work so should be able to fit everything in. Also have a wedding this Saturday so the run that day might be very early in the day.

Beir Bua

Week beginning August 28th - 4 weeks to go

Monday: 5 km of torture. Had planned to do 8, put it off as long as possible but Sundays pints caught up with me with a bang.
    Tuesday: 16km: Feeling back to normal.Part of this was at marathon pace. Felt comfortable. I was solid at the pace and felt I could keep going with that pace if I needed to.
    Wedensday: 24km and massage
    Thursday: 10km and pilates
    Friday: 29KM - Moved my long run from the weekend. I knew Saturday would be tight and Sunday after getting home from the wedding I was under pressure to get it done before the All Ireland.

Over the course of August I ran 29 out of 31 days. I am not sure how I did in July but I would say few other months would come close to that. Also I have ran more this year already than the whole of last year.

This week ahead:
    Last week before the taper begins. Still feeling nice and fresh. Its getting really close now. After this week I will start tipping off to bed slightly earlier.

Long run is 21 miles on Sunday.

This week a lot of thought will go into getting the finishing touches ready. Gels, gear etc.

Beir Bua.

Finally getting a bit of time to update.

Week beginning September 4th - 3 weeks to go.

Wednesday: 24km
    Thursday: 16km
    Friday: 13km
    Saturday: 34km

Week beginning September 11th - 2 weeks to go

Tuesday: 13.4km
    Wednesday: 8km
    Friday: 21km
    Sunday: 27km

Into the wonderful taper. This day next week I will be diving into bed in Germany. Hard to believe the weeks have gone by so quickly.
    Getting bits and pieces ready now for the trip.

I emailed the hostel we are staying in. Unfortunately they do not allow you access to the kitchen for hot water etc. So I am not sure what to do about my race day breakfast. I like to have it as normal as possible.

Anyway for this week it is enjoy the taper and get the good rest in. So early to bed every night.

Week beginning 18th of September - 1 week to go

Tuesday: 13.4km
    Wednesday: off/ sports massage
    Thursday: 14km & pilates
    Friday: 10km
    Saturday: 13km
    Sunday: 21km

Mondays run was tough. Was out after the All Ireland and although not drinking it felt like I had been. Tuesday was a bit rushed to get my run in between everything but I did in the end.

As the only time to get a run in on Wednesday was before work I thought resting up would be better than a recovery run. Sports massage in the afternoon was nice.

Thursday pilates was a nice class.

Nice half marathon this morning. Found the flattest piece of road I could to mirror the route next week and ran on that.

I have checked in, printed my registration for the expo, packing my running gear and getting other bits and pieces ready.

Can't believe it is so close now.

The week ahead. - Race week.

Rest up, early to bed this week. Hair cut mid week (old habits die hard). Fly out Friday and head to expo nearly straight away. I see FC Koln are playing at home next Sunday too so hoping to pick up a ticket for that.

Also have a bit of asore throat currently so on the strepsils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Cologne, as few have advised forget the Pacers and run your own race, be interested to hear your thoughts on the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck on Sunday I hope it all goes well for you.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday I hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks Jake.

2.53.06....report to follow after pints and pizza

Super stuff, huge well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done, brilliant running.

Week beginning 25th of September. Race Week- Koln Marathon 2017 Part 1.

Monday to Thursday

Monday, a recovery run from my last long run.
    Tuesday A handy enough 6.6km.
    Wednesday; Sports massage
    Thursday; pilates.

Not much running this week. A few reasons for this. Main thing is trying to stay fresh. Also Wednesday/Thursday I came down with a head cold. To be honest at times I wasn't that worried because it happened before and on race day I was fine. Probably just being over cautious.

Friday
    Headed over on Friday afternoon. Traveling were myself, Ms Djemba Djemba who also did the full and another friend who did the half. A few other runners on the same flight as us. Landed, quick train trip into the city centre and checked in, all within a hour.

Not wanting to do it tomorrow we headed up to the expo. Standard enough, lots of gear to buy, number collection and t-shirt collection. The t-shirt is an added extra. Not the greatest selection of other marathon merchandise. Only the t-shirt and a dark grey hoodie. Anyway all done nice and quickly, we pottered about for a little while and then headed off back to the hostel. Oh actually the bag you got was high quality. No event I have done comes close to it. School bag quality and strength but with a draw string top.

Anyway back out for dinner and a little walk. Stopping off in the shop for water and a few extra bits and pieces. In bed and a sleep by 9.30.

Saturday

Woke up Saturday morning with close to 10 hours sleep. I read it on boards before that the sleep two nights before is nearly more important than the night immediately before the marathon. So I was delighted with the long sleep. Headed down for breakfast. Wasn't great so decided the following morning I would get some boiling water and us my porridge pots that I brought over.

Saturday was spent sight seeing and shopping. Found the end line and decide to walk out the 400 metres from the end like all my other races, so I was delighted with myself...except I walked the wrong way. Heading back to the hostel realizing I walked out the wrong direction at the end I walked another way...which turned out to be also the wrong way.

Saturday evening a nice big dinner and back in the bed nice and early. This was after getting the final pieces ready for Sunday.

Sunday
    The half starts 90 minutes before the full so the lad doing the half was up nice and early. As he was heading up to the start line I went out for a little run to warm up. On this run I finally found the proper route to the end line. Back to the room a bit of a stretch and down to get my boiling water for my porridge pot noddle. Just about the put my electrolyte tablet into my bottle of water...bloody sparkling water.

Anyway off we go to the start. Less than 2 km to the start so a nice walk. Heading down crowd building nicely. Baggage drop off was unbelievable. All organised by UPS. Very good. Stopped off to use the portaloos... very grim. Makes the Irish ones look like palaces. Talking to the lad who did the half there was already no toilet paper when he used them over two hours beforehand. After leaving that behind me off into my pen to get ready for the off. Very strict on who was let into which pen, but I was in the first pen and made my way close to the front. About 5 minutes to go I get a tap on my shoulder from an Irish lad from Cork. I was told there was 18 of them over for it. Anyway we wished each other good luck and finished off our preparations.

Anyway that is it so far. Marathon report to follow.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for the long post without any race details, but details to follow.

Week beginning 25th of September. Race Week- Koln Marathon 2017 Part 2. - The Race

Firstly where did I get the time to run a marathon. I thought having finished I would have more free time but only getting time now to finish off my race report.

Target times:

A: Sub 2.50.00 (this was put into perspective for me during the lead in week. To run this time you will need to run over a mile quicker than my previous marathon. So I didn't hold out to much hope for this)
    B: Sub 2.55.00
    C. 2.57.58
    D. Sub 3.00.00
    E. Another marathon

The Start line
    Standing in the pen. Ready for the off and it hits me... I need to pee. No I dont, its just nerves. Once we head out to the start I will be grand. I am more convincing myself now. I look around the pen is filling up and only a few minutes to go. So leaving isnt an option. So it is time to grin and bare it. So nicely positioned in the pen about 3/4 rows from the front we are off.

0-5 KM - 20.22

Nice open start. Not delays getting going so easy to get into the stride early enough. The start is the other side of the river to the main city centre so nice to say I ran over the River Rhine. Conditions are hot to start with but as most of the first 5km are close to the river it is cool enough. Also nice and shady. My main focus here so not wanting to pee, and keeping it nice and controlled. No point been a hero this early in the race. I fall into a nice group and we are moving well. I am ok to keep up with them but going a bit quicker than I had planned. An important thing to note is there is also a relay marathon on so not sure how many are going all the way to the finish.

Anyway I spot a toilet and break off. I came to the realisation that it is better to go to the toilet early in the race than later on. At least I have 38km to make it up. Coming back from the comfort break. It is important not to panic and take off like a hare so I stay measured.

5-10km 19.58

So still keeping myself in a nice rhythm I fall into a group of three. We all seem to be moving well. One lad has the strangest running gait I have seen.

10-15KM - 20.13
    One of the lads drops out not sure what he had planned or was doing it as part of the relay but he just drops back and not seen again. So it is just the two of us now. At this point I inform him I don't speak much German. It was about the 5th time he made conversation with me and he must have thought I was awful ignorant just saying Ja at him. So anyway we exchange a few words and head on.

15km - 21.1km 24.56. Half total 1.25.26

We both seem to be the same standard and going the same level. I kind of take the eye of the ball.Instead of keeping my own pace, I find I am keeping pace with him. Towards half way he is dropping slightly but it still doesn't register with me. Anyway I was happy crossed the half point ahead of what I had planned.

21.1km - 25km 16.02

Now I notice my running buddy dropping off, so I decide to run at my own pace again and gradually move away from him. From here on in despite the odd one or two I run on my own. Having the name on the race number is great. I get an Auf Gehts Darren Auf Gehts. I try to high 5 children who have their hands out. So much so I nearly miss a water stop.

Running through a large group of supporters with music. I know the air of the song. It is in German though. It cant be...its only when I go passed them I get it. It is We're on the one road.

30km to 35km 20.44

30 to 32 km is tough. Not because of the route I just drop the pace slightly. My aim is to keep something for the last 10km. What is also tough is on the road you see the km markings. One side of the road has 31km the other side of the road is 35km. I found this disheartening Christ I have to run out this way just to end up back here. However than I change my thought too Christ when I get here I have less than 5 miles to go. High fiving the kids on the road is deadly. The families with them really appreciate you doing it and give you a big cheer. (As they were speaking German they may have been giving out to me too).

35km to 40km 21.06

The end is close now. Legs are beginning to scream now but keep going and it ends soon. The route provides dextro as the energy drink and there is one station of red bull. After the half marathon the road just after the stop is as sticky as a cheap nightclub carpet. At the 40km marker is a giant screen and a tiered stand, its just awesome that all these people are out watching. The announcer nummer eins, drei, vier von Irland, Djemba Djemba. (Obviously he didn't say Djemba Djemba) That was class.

40KM To finish 8.56 - Total 2.53.06
    Having gone on my warm up run I knew what the last km involved. It would be like running down a much narrower Grafton street and finishing on Suffolk st. It makes for an unreal atmosphere again. I was the only one approaching the finish so there was massive support. Around the corner and here we go. It is all over.

I doubt there will be many people involved in the marathon reading this but Thank you to every one who marshalled, gave out drinks and supported. Supporters at marathons amaze me. They are there for one person or maybe two, if anyone at all but yet they stand there, give up there Sunday and cheer everyone along. Amazing.

I met my friend who did the half ahead of me. We head off to get a few Kolsch. (Great idea 200ml of beer so it is always fresh) We keep an eye on Ms Djemba Djemba on the app and head back out to see her finish.

Head back to the Gaffel am Dom. A few more kolsch. We make our plans for the evening...a bit of food and then out for the night. We had dinner alright. All off us in bed by 10.30pm. I wake up at about 2.30am with a wicked thirst. In a bad way, so I check the opening time of the shop in the train station. It is open 24 hours a day. So 3.30 in the morning, there I am sitting in bed with bottles of water around me, a pint of milk and a bag of Harribos but delighted. This is my life now.

Well done on a fantastic time & great training block. How warm was it and how would you normally cope in the heat? Strongly considering running it next October. Cheers for the report.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done on a fantastic time & great training block. How warm was it and how would you normally cope in the heat? Strongly considering running it next October. Cheers for the report.

I would be good in the heat but was just careful as it was at the start of the marathon. After the first 5 km or so I didn't notice it at all to be honest. It was actually a nice day for running. Ms Djemba Djemba did it closer to 5 hours and it got hotter at that time of the day. We found it hot even watching. But to be honest it would be like a day here.

I am biased here but I would definitely do it. The route is flat, no pinch points so you can get into rhythm easily. Lots of water/bananas/energy drink stops. Music at different points and a big crowd on route.

We got accommodation near to the train station. Close to the expo, start line is out there too and very close to the finish line.

The only mark against it and this is my issue is the loop back on its self. This happens two or three times. Although it does allow the same spectators see you twice.

The city itself is easy to get to. Lots of options. We flew with Ryanair and were checked into our hostel within a hour. Aer Lingus fly to Dusselldorf and that is a hour train trip away.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Advertisement