Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh very good and who are you doing it for..?

Options
  • 02-01-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Title:
    The most common question I got asked when I was training for the Dublin Marathon.

Background
    I am 33 now. Played Gaelic Football and Hurling up to May 2015 until I gave it up or it gave me up, whichever. I have always loved cycling and planned a life cycling after finishing up GAA. That was the plan until I started running to lose weight for cycling. Got a late entry to the Waterford Quarter marathon in 2015 and ended up finishing in the top 15. From then on I was hooked.

Running History
    I was on the Luas early into Dublin in 2015 and the Dublin Marathon was on the same day. Going in the buzz and energy really took hold of me and I knew then I had to do the marathon the following year. So rather than go through all dates I will just list my pb's.

5 km 18.40 Parkrun
    10 km 37.56 Fingal 10 km 2016
    10 mile 1.03.23 Battle of Clontarf 10 mile 2016
    Half Marathon 1.24.57 Gingerbread Run 2016
    Marathon 2.57.58 Dublin Marathon

2017 Targets
    So looking ahead, on the 2017 goal thread I came up with this.

1) Join a club
    2) Start and maintain a training log
    3) 10 miles in under 60 minutes (January to May). Going to target three 10 mile races for this. John Treacy 10, Battle of Clontarf and one more to be decided.
    4) Koln Marathon (October 1st)

Training Plans
    For the 10 mile goal I am using this Hal Higdon 10 mile advanced program. For the Dublin Marathon I used the P+D Advanced Marathon 18 week program. I plan to use this again for Koln. I also do weekly pilates which I find to be a huge benefit.

So I think that is it for the moment I plan to update the training log every Sunday. Just like making time for that run or gym session I will make time for this log. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. Any questions, advice or comments are greatly received.

Time to let the hand break off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Some tasty times posted already. Looking forward to following your progress.

Best of luck with it!

Love the log title btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Another week closer to my first 10 mile race of the year.

Two of my goals achieved for the year. 1 start and maintain a log. Well I started it and one post means it is getting maintained.

The second one is I have joined a club. So looking forward to getting involved with them. I suppose they were the two of the easier goals.

My training for the week;

Monday; 5km
    Tuesday; off (Not by design, life getting in the way)
    Wednesday; 40 Min tempo run. Distance 8.93km 4.29/km average
    Thursday; 6.5km
    Friday; 8 x 400m
    Saturday; off
    Sunday; 14.5km

Comments; There is a nice 5km loop around where I live. However after running it so often last year this year I am running it the opposite way.
    This means I have a 2km of so drag towards the end of it which I am finding... well a drag.

I am not sure how the tempo run goes. For the week gone I started with 5 mins very slow, 5-10 mins a bit quicker, 10-30 mins at race tempo but hilly, 3 significant hills and 30-40 mins easing off to finish. I am not sure should I try this tempo run on a flat route as much as possible. My own thinking is training on hills will make you faster when there is no hills. (Warning; this is based on absolutely no evidence.)

Enjoying (relatively) my sprint sessions.

My long run on Sunday and my run on Thursday were good.

No pilates this week. Instructor is on mat leave. Time to start taking ownership of this myself.

The week ahead:

Plan to go to the two athletics club training sessions this week. I am away from Friday to Sunday next week. I will bring the runners with me, I love to run around different cities. Might mean a bit of rejigging to the weekly plan. Might do my long run mid week.

Saw this on a different log so I am going to copy it.

KM this week: 38.13
    KM this Month: 38.13
    KM this Year: 38.13

Thanks for reading. All questions or comments are welcome.

Update 2;

Definitely maintaining my log now.

Week beginning 9th of January.

Monday; 5km
    Tuesday; 10km Easy Pace
    Wednesday;
    Thursday; 10km tempo run
    Friday:
    Saturday; Hike
    Sunday; Hike

Comments: Tuesday and Thursdays runs were my first runs with the Athletics club. Not really sure what to expect and it happened to be their easy week. As I am in the middle of my own plan, I wasn't scheduled to have an easy week. I stayed with the group on Tuesday but on Thursday I broke off and made a tempo run of it. This week the have scheduled some 800m runs. So I will link back in with them for this.

I was away over the weekend and had planned to do some running but the hiking took over.

Pilates is back on this week coming, however I might have to leave it till next week to start.

KM this week: 25
    KM this Month: 63.13
    KM this Year: 63.13

Thanks for reading. Any questions, comments or observations all welcome.

Update 3;

Week beginning 16th of January.

Monday: 5km
    Tuesday: 8 x 400m
    Wednesday: Off (Sports massage)
    Thursday: Off
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: 6.4km
    Sunday: 19.3km

Comments:

Tuesday was training with the athletics club. Now I see the benefit of training with a club. Even though there was just two of us, we really pushed each other along. I know there is no way to directly compare that session to a similar session I may have done before. Taking into consideration the surface, weather and undulation of the path but on Tuesday last my 8 runs varied from 1.16 to 1.19 previously I had a range of 1.18 to 1.29. This session was the highlight of the week.

No for the lowlight. Went to bed on Tuesday night, woke up at about 4 am with an almighty sharp pain. Now me hitting over reaction theatre, I thought it was curtains, I was getting my affairs in order, writing out my list of people who screwed my over. Until I woke up Ms Djemba Djemba who was a lot calmer and asked a few questions which turns out to be back spasms. So first thing in the morning I was of the physical therapist. So after that I took it easy up to Saturday.

My long run today was good. Averaging out at 4.16/km.

Plan for the week ahead is; to go club training on Tuesday. The schedule is similar to last week but with a shorter rest time. Thursday will be pilates night and 13 miles next Sunday.

KM this week: 33.9
    KM this Month: 97.03
    KM this Year: 97.03

Update 4:

Week beginning 23rd of January

Tuesday: 8 x 400m
    Wednesday: 45 Minute tempo run Average 4.28/km
    Thursday: Pilates
    Friday: 8km
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: 21km

Comments:

Tuesday was part of the athletics club training. Last week there was a 90 second rest, this week it was down to 60 seconds. Some difference. Times ranged from 1.14 to 1.24. A bit of a head wind on half of the runs.

45 minute tempo run was ok. Would like to find a route that didn't have as many step hills for this. A gradual incline would be grand but these are steep climbs.

Long run this morning started off cold, could have stayed in bed. Glad I didn't, I knew I would have to do it at some point today but it was nice to get it done and dusted by 10.15 and have the rest of the day to do as I pleased. Although I did nearly get taken out by a dog in the park.

Nice to have pilates back, a lot of creaking and sore the day after but glad to be back at it.

Plan for the week. Well there is only one thing on my mind is the John Treacy next Sunday. Got my race number during the week which helped focus the mind. I am also on the look out for my next pair of runners for the marathon in October.

KM this week: 47.2
    KM this Month: 144.23
    KM this Year: 144.23

• Advertisement

Race Week;
    Hands up the week leading up to this race was a lazy week for myself. I did 5km on Monday but that was all. I was kidding myself thinking that by doing nothing would ensure I was mad for the road on Sunday. Really it just came down to me putting it off because it was windy and raining. If I was still playing GAA would I have trained...of course I would have so need to give myself a kick up the hole on this one.

Race Day;
    Preparation
    With a 1.30pm start preparation was near ideal. Set of at 9.30am with the aim of getting to Dungarvan by 12/12.30. I allowed time for toilet stops on the way down. I stopped twice in Paulstown and Lemybrien. (Two wonderful toilets if the need ever takes you.) Arrived in Dungarvan at 12.10, got a nice parking stop near the Garda Station. Getting down early, allowed me to go for a walk around the town to loosen out. Went back to the car at 12.30 put on the runners and went for a little warm up jog. At 1pm I put on the final bits of race gear and down to the start line, to complete the full warm up. The temperature was rising nicely now. Although a few spots of ran.

Gun time:
    So got a nice spot near the front at the start line, and we are off.

1 & 2 KM (3.38/3.39)
    Near the front here so really set of too fast. Its like the Jack Russell chasing a football.

3 & 4 KM (3.51/3.44)
    Still moving along, probably still a bit to fast for me, but I am ok. The 60 minute pacer goes past me. I hang on for a while.

5 & 6KM (3.51/3.59)
    The 60 minute pacer is still within sight, but you couldn't say I was in his group. Join a group of two other now. Running into a head wind now, starting to struggle.

7 & 8km (4.09/4.00)
    Still have sight of the 60 minute pacer but that more to the straight on the road rather than me been that close to them. Cross the half way point in 31 minutes.

9km & 10km (4.00/4.05)
    Ok over halfway, turning away from the head wind. More runners coming past me now so this is helping me move along.

11 & 12km (3.50/3.57)
    Wohoo catch a downhill part in a group. Love part. I make a big effort to stay with the group and not let the train pass me.

13 & 14km (4.03/4.04)
    Counting down the KM left now. Heading back on the Cork Road. Crowd starting to build providing some energy.

15km & 16 (4.05/3.41)
    The placing of the clock a mile out is a great touch. Passing that I know I am on for a PB, but not there yet. Nice downhill bit before rejoining the Cork road again.Gather some momentum heading to the roundabout the crowd is encouraging. The cow bells are class. Turn up towards the endline and its a flat out finish. Finished with a PB of 62.47. Close to 40 seconds quicker than my previous PB and 2 minutes than my run in last years race.

Post Race
    Picked up my peach t-shirt. Top class as last year. Back to the car, grab my bag and get a shower, into the sports Hall, what a spread of food. Thank you to all the volunteers there for the food they prepared and served.

Take aways
    1) This race had the aim of getting my PB down and it did that. It also came with the realisation the going under 60 minutes for 10 miles, is a different story altogether. I need a rocket.
    2) Probably carrying a bit of extra timber.
    3) In the training phase, I probably need to race more. My last race before yesterday was in November.

Whats next
    1) Continue training with the athletics club
    2) Pilates
    3) The battle of Clontarf 10 mile race on Easter Monday

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers for organinsing a wonderful event. Walking around Dungarvan and having cycled around it a few times, is there anything the town does not have.

Thanks for reading.

Down week after the 10 mile race last weekend.

Monday; 5km
    Tuesday; 10 x 400m
    Wednesday; 30 Minute tempo
    Thursday; Pilates
    Friday; 5km
    Saturday; Sports massage
    Sunday; 8km

A bit of a recovery week, but I used the week to plan out the next 10 week block of the year. After a few false starts pilates should be a weekly occurrence from now on. Have identified a few weekends to include more races. Also going to include doing a few more parkruns when I can. (I know they aren't races...but they really are).

Tuesday nights intervals are an enjoyable session. The group is growing week on week. Tough going but much easier than doing it on your own. Even the thought of doing it on your own hangs over you all day but in a group its something to look forward to.

Going to monitor my weight. Once a week every Monday morning,not quiet the first thing I will do but definitely the second one.

Not sure if it is just the brighter mornings or whatever but feeling a lot more confident this week than a few weeks ago.

Anyway thanks for reading. Any comments, questions or advice; all greatly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well done on the race, great performance from the sounds of it. Hard to say that you are that far from 60 minutes (did you go off a bit fast in the 1st couple of km, maybe sit off the 60 minute pacer from the off?), best of luck working towards it.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Well done on the race, great performance from the sounds of it. Hard to say that you are that far from 60 minutes (did you go off a bit fast in the 1st couple of km, maybe sit off the 60 minute pacer from the off?), best of luck working towards it.

Thanks for your comment. Yeah I feel now I set out too quick. I feel I got caught up in the event itself and ploughed on, a bit more discipline to stay with the 60 minute pacer probab;e was the way to go. By the time they came past me I couldn't hold on to them for too long.

Thanks for your comment. Yeah I feel now I set out too quick. I feel I got caught up in the event itself and ploughed on, a bit more discipline to stay with the 60 minute pacer probab;e was the way to go. By the time they came past me I couldn't hold on to them for too long.

Do you race often? I am not in your league in terms of pace but in all 4 of my races to date it is a mistake I have made, its easy to say but harder in reality.

• Advertisement

Do you race often? I am not in your league in terms of pace but in all 4 of my races to date it is a mistake I have made, its easy to say but harder in reality.

Probably not as often as I should. Hope to do more races in the next few months

Week Beginning February 13th.

Monday; 5km
    Tuesday; 10 x 400 metres
    Wednesday; 35 minute tempo
    Thursday; Pilates
    Friday; Sick
    Saturday; Sick
    Sunday; Sick

The week started off well but ended up as write off.

Tuesdays session was tough but very enjoyable. A nice warmish night with little wind. A time range from 1.15 to 1.21 across the 10 runs.
    Wednesdays tempo run, I was a bit disappointed with but now I know why. I think Wednesday was the start of me starting to feel heavy in my chest and sore throat, but nothing to bad at the time.
    Thursday was pilates night. Thursday night starting to feel even worse.
    Woke up Friday and was a complete write off. Rather than fight it and it beating me eventually I decided to let it beat me now. So hopefully coming out the other side but will probably be another few days before its cleared completely.

Cant give out to much in fairness, I think the last time I missed a prolonged period of running was December/January 2015/2016.

Plan for the week:
    Get healthy again.

Thanks for reading. Any questions, comments or advice all well received.

Week Beginning 20th of February

Monday: Sick
    Tuesday: Sick
    Wednesday: Sick
    Friday: 40 Tempo run
    Saturday: Parkrun
    Sunday: Off

Slow start to the week. Still carrying over sickness from the week beforehand. Started to fell better Wednesday/Thursday. So held off for pilates on Thursday.

Had wedding planning things to do in Cork over the weekend so was down there for the weekend. Turned into a great weekend. Nearly like a training weekend. Friday was a tempo run along the straight road. What a piece of running infrastructure. Straight, long, good lighting and a wide footpath with a good surface. Went for a 40 minute tempo run with a little lap of that park.

Saturday was off to the parkrun in Ballincollig. Nice run. Big crowd at it. Nice course also.

Had planned to do a 11km on Sunday morning before heading back up the country, but with Storm Ewan and trying to get an episode of Peaky Blinders, I left off the run.

The week ahead;

Looking ahead and touch wood this week is looking good so should be a full week of running.

Week Beginning February 27th

Monday: 5KM
    Tuesday: 8 x 400 metres (60 second break)
    Wednesday: 30 minute tempo
    Friday: 5KM
    Saturday: 11.25 km
    Sunday: 5km

A week full of running. Back to full health. Enjoyable week. I had planned to do a parkrun on Saturday but moved my running around so I could fit my long run in on Saturday instead.

Next week
    Hopefully more of the same. Bit of a busy week outside of running but with a bit of planning should be ok. There is always time. With the days stretching longer, there should be no reason for not fitting the running in. Planning on going to the local park for my tempo run, so looking forward to that. See if there is a difference at all. Also aiming to do my parkrun this Saturday. Also new runner day is coming up soon. To change or stick to what has served me well so far.

Week Beginning March 6th

Tuesday: 8 x 400 m with 60 seconds break. Range 76 seconds to 81 seconds
    Wednesday: Missed
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: 5km (Park run)
    Sunday: 14.5 KM

Busy week as I had thought. Managed to fit most of my running in missed Wednesday. The reason...I locked myself out of my house. Tuesdays session was good. Planned to join my running club for a weekend session but I didn't in the end, so maybe this week coming. The park run means different things to different people but to me it is a race. Nice run and finished second. I don't think I will ever win one. Nearly got taken out by a dog on a lead during my long run. Made my long run more of a steeplechase.

Registered for a few races between now and May. Probably try fit in the National 10km too.

Also got the all clear from the GP from my yearly check up.

This week:
    Again another busy week but not as busy as last week although Pilates will be missed. Planning to do the park run again this Saturday and head to the park for my tempo run. If the weather stays like this for the week, we will all be charging around on solar power.

Week Beginning March 13th

Tuesday: 8 X 400 M
    Wednesday: 45 Minute tempo run
    Friday: 8km
    Saturday: 5km Parkrun
    Sunday: 16Km

Happy with my weeks running. Finally got to do my tempo run on the flat in my local park. Enjoyed it although it was a test of my eyesight towards the end as the light was diminishing. Patricks Day 5 mile was enjoyable, got it done nice and early, home for the breakfast, walk the dogs all done before the first race in Cheltenham and a few bottles for the afternoon. Parkrun was competitive this week. Ran the exact same time but finished 4th this week. Long run this week I felt was very tough. Finishing on a steep uphill into a head wind. When I got home I compared efforts with my previous runs on this routes and it was actually quicker.

Also picked up my new club singlet. So looking forward to getting to wear that soon.

This week:
    A few different things ahead this week. Training with the athletics club on Tuesday. A short tempo run on Wednesday. Pilates on Thursday should be ok, a quick 5km on Friday before work before the Ireland match that night.

Thanks for reading.

Week beginning March 20th:

Tuesday: 10 x 400m (60 seconds rest)
    Wednesday: 30 Minute tempo
    Friday: 5km

Tuesdays session was tough but enjoyable all the same. Tempo run was in wet conditions but ok. Saturday (out the night before) and Sunday (mothers day) were off, so no long run this week. Every now and again I get a craving for a can of Coke or McDonalds and when I have that fixes me for anything up to 18 months. Going to the Ireland match on Friday, meeting up with a good group of friends and I had a major craving for a few drinks. Alcohol is now like McDonalds and Coke. I can go without now for a while. Just counting up my runs so far I have ran of 47 days this year so far. Last year it took me until the end of April to reach that number.

This week:

A busy week so trying to schedule things to fit everything in. I wont make athletics training this week which is 10 x 400 m but with only 30 seconds break. I was looking forward to that so I am going to fit that in myself. I will miss not having someone else also suffering through it. I am well rested so may skip the 5km today and do either my tempo run or the intervals.

Thanks for reading. Have a good week.

Week beginning March 20th:

Tuesday: 10 x 400m (60 seconds rest)
    Wednesday: 30 Minute tempo

Tuesdays session was tough but enjoyable all the same. Tempo run was in wet conditions but ok. Saturday (out the night before) and Sunday (mothers day) were off, so no long run this week. Every now and again I get a craving for a can of Coke or McDonalds and when I have that fixes me for anything up to 18 months. Going to the Ireland match on Friday, meeting up with a good group of friends and I had a major craving for a few drinks. Alcohol is now like McDonalds and Coke. I can go without now for a while. Just counting up my runs so far I have ran of 47 days this year so far. Last year it took me until the end of April to reach that number.

This week:

A busy week so trying to schedule things to fit everything in. I wont make athletics training this week which is 10 x 400 m but with only 30 seconds break. I was looking forward to that so I am going to fit that in myself. I will miss not having someone else also suffering through it. I am well rested so may skip the 5km today and do either my tempo run or the intervals.

Thanks for reading. Have a good week.

Week Beginning March 27th

Monday: 40 Minute tempo
    Tuesday: Missed
    Wednesday: Missed
    Thursday: 6.4 km
    Friday: 10 x 400 metres (30 second intervals)
    Saturday: 19.3km

An awkward week running wise. Glad to get the tempo run in on Monday. It has the feel of a tough session but not sure how you judge a tempo run. Is it by your average km time? Tuesday is the night I run with the athletics club but I went to the Ireland game (An evening I wont get back.) So I did the interval training by myself on Friday. Tough going, missed having someone to bounce the pain off. Ended up doing my Thursday run before work, which was nice. Something I had done it the past but not much so far this year. May start adding it now though. Long run on Saturday was ok.

This week:
    Sunday is the 10km in the Phoenix Park. Looking forward to that. My debut run for an athletics club. So this weeks running will have that all in mind.

Thanks for reading, hope you have a good week.

Week beginning 3rd of April.

Race Week
    Plan was to keep fresh. So my weeks running was;
    Monday: Off
    Tuesday: 5km
    Wednesday: Off
    Saturday: Had planned to loosen the legs with a 2/3km but that didn't happen as other things got in the way.
    Sunday: Race day.

Race Build up
    On Saturday I was out at a football competition from 9 until 5 and then had to head out again at 6.30pm so only got dinner after 9.30 that night. I like to use the days before races as sloth days so that was not ideal, but that is life.

Sunday Morning, up at 7am. Breakfast as normal. Final check on my bag, which I have packed the night before. Having learned from my last run in the park about parking I was extra cautious this time and arrived at 8.40. Early I know but isn't it better to be hanging around there than hanging around at home. Went for a little walk from the start line to the right turn on Chesterfield Ave and back and the last 400 metres of the race.

About 9.30 I went back to the car to get changed and get ready. Went for a pre warm up. Just a few mobility movements just to waken up the body. Back to the car again for the last time and headed off at 10.10.

Wondering around for a little bit before starting my final warm up I had a chat with Sergiu Ciobanu. Seems like a nice guy, although I am sure I will remember that chat more than he will.

My first time running as a club athlete so I hadn't planned to meet other club members but I ended up bumping into them so ended up joining in their warm up. It was starting to get hotter now so had the water with me.

Race Target and Plan
    My pb for 10km is 37.58. So going into it anything in the 37's I would be happy with (of course except 37.59).
    My plan was fairly basic, get to 5km in under 18.30 and game on after that.

The Race
    Fast start with the long straight but nice to get some space once you head off down Chesterfield Ave. The first 5km really went by very quickly and feeling ok. Went through under my halfway target time by a few seconds.

The second half of the race was were it really kicked off. Parts up hill and moving to broken surfaces it was tough. However the last km was a nice finish. Felt strong with a km to go to kick on again and finish with a 3.30 last km.

Crossed the line in 37.37 by chip, 37.39 by my watch and 37.41 by the gun. Whichever one is a new pb for me.

Post Race
    A few club members finished around the same time as me, so was nice to meet up and have a bit of debrief. Got my finishers pack...although no medal in it. (I am not that upset about it).

Drifted off for a post race 99 and afternoon of football.

Take aways
    1) Arriving early is not a bad thing.
    2) Wearing a club bib is a great support mechanism. I had to look around a few times to realize people were actually shouting me on.

The Coming week
    10 mile race on Bank Holiday Monday. So the key this week will be recovery and rest. I intend to run a similar schedule as to last week. Although I will probably do a longer run mid week instead of a 5km.

Anyway thanks for reading. Have a good week and a nice Easter weekend.

• Advertisement

Week Beginning 10th of April

Race Week
    Following on from the Great Ireland run last week this week was about recovery and staying fresh.

As this was a quiet week on the running front I used it to plan my marathon training. I have picked a number of races, one a month in the build up to October. These races are over a variety of distances 10km/10 mile/ Half Marathon. I also picked up my runners I will be using. A creature of habit I have picked the same type as last year. So I intend to start breaking these in gradually in the build up to starting my marathon training.

Monday: 5km Recovery
    Tuesady: Off
    Wednesday: 30.00 Minute tempo
    Friday: 5KM
    Saturday: Park run
    Bank Holiday Monday: Battle of Clontarf 10 mile

Monday was just about getting the legs turning over again after the day before. The 5km on Friday was quicker than I had planned and was my best time on this route. On Saturday I did the park run. With a race 48 hours later I used this parkrun for a few different things.

One was using it as a controlled start. In the past I had a tendency to go flat out at the start, this time I let the rest look after themselves and I found my own rhythm and pace.

The second was to keep something for the last km. Have the last km as my quickest km.

Race Day Build up
    Up early and over to St. Anns Park for 9am. Little walk around for 10 minutes back to the car to get race ready. About 9.30 off I went for my warm up. Up and down the avenue and into the rose garden just to get idea of the finish.

Race Targets
    One of my goals this year is to break 60 minutes for this distance. My current pb is 62.38 form January this year so I went into the race knowing going lower than that may be a stretch. So my target was to get to 15km at 57.30 and empty the tank from there.

The Race
    Carrying on from my parkrun experience I took the race at my pace rather than trying to keep up with the front runners. A u turn at the end of the avenue was hairy enough at the start. I stayed wide for it and ended up loosing ground on others but in fairness, we are less than a mile in so no great need to panic. Fairly comfortable and in a group of 5 or 6 for the early stages.

Into mile 4 I begin to look at the watch and realize 30 minutes for 5 miles is a possibility. Pick it up slightly but just passing the 5 mile marker I am at 30.11. Time to refocus, the 60 minute target is probably out still but a new pb is on the cards.

Second half of the race.

Stuck in no mans land at the minute. Behind two runners and ahead of one. Moving well towards mile 8 I get passed by the runner behind me, but I hold on to him and we both pass one of the other runners in front of us. He kicks on again and I am a drift now on my own again. Into the rose garden for the last time, confident I wont be caught from behind so look ahead. I close the gap slightly but the two runners in front of me are dueling it out. One on their own I might have caught but I cannot catch them now. Looking to the finishing line I see the clock, a pb is on now by how much. So I chase down every second and cross the line in 60.58.

This is a new pb by just under 2 minutes from January. It is just over a 3 minute improvement from the last years battle of Clontarf. I know feel I am in striking distance of breaking the 60 minutes.

Thanks to the volunteers and marshals throughout the course, would have been very easy to get lost on a route like that. Great goodie bag at the end although those protein cheese crisps things were awful.

The week ahead

Nothing on the horizon at the minute so this week will be a down week. Mainly looking at recovery runs. I will be able to attend athletics training this week for the first time in a few weeks. I don't start marathon training until the last week of May so the next few weeks will be getting primed for that.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy your Easter Eggs.

Fair play, 2 PB's is great reward for your very consistent training.

Week Beginning April 17th.

Nothing to see here. Ended up doing no running at all this week. No harm really I think.

Tuesday: After the race the day before I was still tired.
    Wednesday: Had a dentist visit and after that I had no interest in doing anything.
    Thursday/Friday: Continuing not to run this week.
    Saturday: Urge coming back to go for a run.
    Sunday: Ready to take the door off the hinges to get out running.

This Week:
    Running. Running. Running. Also runner on the other foot this week I am on a support role this Sunday for Ms Djemba Djemba at the Limerick Half.

Short post thanks for reading. Have a good week.

Week Beginning April 24th

Monday: 10km
    Tuesday: 6 X 400 M uphill
    Wednesday: 40 minute tempo
    Sunday: 16km

Having taken the week of I was mad to get back out on the road on Monday.
    Tuesday was with the athletics club. It was up hill and on grass. Running on grass I suppose it is no harm. It was only when I was warming up I realised I had my normal day to day runners on so was a bit strange.
    Wednesdays tempo was good and enjoyable.On Sunday I was in Limerick for the Great Limerick run. It was very enjoyable been the supporter. Give support back to those who cheer me on at events.

It is mad how runners will always saw thanks to you. It was nice. I never run with music but the amount of people missing out on the atmosphere because of ear phones. But everyones race is their own, so each to their own.

Watching a marathon, half marathon and a 6 miler gives you a hunger to get out yourself. So when I went home after dinner I went out for 16km myself.

No pilates.

This week
    Nothing today as I was travelling all day. So use today as a day of and rejig the week around to do a similar week to last weeks.

Thats all for this week. Thanks for reading.

Week beginning May 1st

Monday: Bank holiday Monday, full of driving. Cork-Tralee-Dublin
    Tuesday: 8 KM
    Wednesday: 40 minute tempo. 9.5km. Average 4.13 km/h
    Thursday: 10km

Comments;
    Tuesday I had planned to go to athletics training but it was a 5 mile run, so I did it on my own. Wednesdays tempo was good. Probably too fast, particularly the slowing down bit at the end. On Thursday I skipped pilates and did a 10km. There was a tough three days of running. Fridays 5km was a recovery run. My legs felt empty and tough to go.

I am not sure about the past week. I am not sure if it was the long days driving on Monday but I just felt zapped all week. Even getting out of the scrather was tough in the mornings. This lead me to doing nothing on Saturday and Sunday.

This week:

This week, on Sunday its the 5 mile race in Terenure. So my plan is a leg loosener on Saturday, Friday 5km . Pilates on Thursday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday like previous weeks.

Have never raced 5 miles before so looking forward to giving it a lash.

After next Sunday; it will be a week to break in my new marathon training runners in advance of starting my Marathon training.

Any questions,comments or observations all welcome. Thanks for reading.

Week Beginning 8th of May.- Terenure 5 mile Race report

The week:
    Monday: 10km
    Tuesday: 3 x 1km 3.19,3.27,3.33
    Wednesday: 40 minute tempo
    Thursday: 10km & pilates
    Friday: off
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: Terenure 5 mile.

Started wearing my hear rate monitor. Not sure why I hadn't worn it before now but I plan to wear it for all runs now. Found it useful in the tempo run to keep an eye on the target training zones. One thing I noticed on my tempo run was two women walking side by side so obviously walking together but with ear phones in. Why not talk to each other. The 3 x 1km were at athletics training. Nice to join so many others all doing their own bit chasing their own goals.

Race Build up
    Collected number on Friday evening. All very quick and easy. Nice t-shirt too.

Race Day
    Not to far for me to go for this race so had a nice morning. Woke up and did some light stretching at home. Arrived in around the start at about 9.40. Parked up. Went for a bit of a walk down to the start line and more importantly the run in to the finish. Walked a bit down, saw a sign for the rugby club. This was my landmark for the finishing kick. Well done to the organisers on removing a van who had parked exactly where the finishing line was meant to be. Things like this most of the runners wouldn't have seen but if the route measured long or short people would have noticed. The background work is unbelievable.

Back to the car just after 10. Got ready and went for for my warm up. Ended up down by a pond in bushy park which was nice.
    Chance to focus about the race ahead. Headed back to the car for the finishing touches and off to the start line about 10.45. A few runs back to my land mark again and a few more mobility work and back to the starting pens.

Race Goal
    Sub 30 minutes.

My first time racing 8 km so not sure what to expect.

0-1KM; 3.31; The usually hustle and bustle of a start.
    1-2km; 3.37; finding my own pace now. Sharp turn in Terenure village. Hairy enough coming at pace and others around.
    2-3km; 3.51; Little shelter from the wind now.
    3-4km; 3.59; Even less shelter from the wind.
    Under 15 minutes for the first half...just
    4-5km 3.46: Back sheltered a bit and passing on to lap two.
    5-6km 3.43; In a group now of three.
    6-7km 3.49; Its going to be close now. Not much time to spare if I want to break the 30 minutes.
    7-8km 3.42; Turning towards the finish line. Looking for my land mark. Cant see it. It is obstructed by a tree. Anyway I get to it and kick on. Still going to be close. Even the lad on the mike is saying it. Cross the line, stop my watch at 30.00.08. So the chip time is going to be interesting.

Check the result online 29.59. Just made it.

Post race:
    I don't think I held any thing back there and was at my limit for this race. Delighted to dip under the 30 mins.

The Week ahead
    Breaking in new runners this week. Kind of have to loose weeks until the 29th of May when my Marathon training starts. So plan to use this to break in the new runners and next week to start uping the distance ran in them.

Also Last week
    I booked my accommodation for the marathon. A hostel I have stayed in previously. It is about 2 km from the start line and 500 metres from the finish line. So a handy location. Only thing is I am not sure of the breakfast situation so will have to organise that.
    Last week I also ran for the 75th time this year.

Sorry for the long read. Thanks for staying with it. Any comments all welcome.

Check the result online 29.59. Just made it.

Hollywood stuff!! Well done :D

Hollywood stuff!! Well done :D

When they come to make my biopic about it. I am thinking the story will be a story of triumph over adversity along the line of Karate Kid and Mighty Ducks 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Congrats on the time, great run!

Where do you do your athletics training? Do you train once a week with them?

• Advertisement

Congrats on the time, great run!

Where do you do your athletics training? Do you train once a week with them?

Thanks.

I am only recently after joining Dundrum. I can only go once a week at the moment. I hope in a few weeks to add in one of their weekend sessions too.

Advertisement