Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

That's a disappointment. I assumed that I was reading the native information.

Giving the trial a whirl on my tablet and I'm finding the quality very poor. Netflix working flawlessly by contrast.

Be warned; your service auto renews, you must cancel via your account on the NOWTV website, otherwise the rip off 15 quid will come out on renewal date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I've cancelled after the free trial too.

It's crazy that they won't allow it on a Roku box, the same box as the now Tv box.

The tablet app is dire imo

And on the desk top I have to have a player which seems really outdated to me.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I've cancelled after the free trial too.

It's crazy that they won't allow it on a Roku box, the same box as the now Tv box.

The tablet app is dire imo

And on the desk top I have to have a player which seems really outdated to me.

An extremely arrogant launch in terms of both the outrageous price gouging and complete lack of device support. It's as if they think us oirish all live in caves and should be eternally grateful they hsve deigned to launch here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Dave..M wrote: »
    An extremely arrogant launch in terms of both the outrageous price gouging and complete lack of device support. It's as if they think us oirish all live in caves and should be eternally grateful they hsve deigned to launch here.

Really well put, of course they have no email address or physical address to voice a complaint. Only live chat.

The brand now has no good will though I imagine they will survive on GOT audiences.

When I went to cancel the thing offered me a €3 discount per pass per month. So maybe they are noticing the lack of uptake.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Really well put, of course they have no email address or physical address to voice a complaint. Only live chat.

The brand now has no good will though I imagine they will survive on GOT audiences.

When I went to cancel the thing offered me a €3 discount per pass per month. So maybe they are noticing the lack of uptake.

Even that is still over 3 quid more expensive than the UK for an inferior service and that's after the UK's upcoming 1 pound hike to 7.99 plus the UK has discounted vouchers meaning it costs less again Vs here ( urgh, step away)

On a positive; Primevideo is only 3 quid a month for 6 months, movies are very poor but the TV collection is decent & growing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I picked up a Now TV box in DID today,
    Cost Euro 39.99, came with two months Entertainment pack.
    Hoping to set it up tomorrow.
    The terms ans condition say I can register 4 devices and view on a max of two devices at the same time.

So hopefully it works out, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

Thought I'd chip in here if anyone's interested in using it for live sport. I signed up for the sports pass purely to watch the lions test matches. It was absolutely appalling quality had to give up in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

That's mad. I signed up for a day pass for the 3 lions tests. Using it via the app on my lg TV and it was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Thought I'd chip in here if anyone's interested in using it for live sport. I signed up for the sports pass purely to watch the lions test matches. It was absolutely appalling quality had to give up in the end

I'm happy to be a cheerleader for the lack of device support but when I used it last year to watch the US Open golf, I didn't have a problem with the picture quality.

Streaming video services like Netflix and Now TV normally test the connection speed and adjust the screen resolution accordingly. If your broadband connection was poor or maybe you were watching on a tablet in the bedroom and the wi-fi connection wasn't great, it probably set you to a low resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm happy to be a cheerleader for the lack of device support but when I used it last year to watch the US Open golf, I didn't have a problem with the picture quality.

Streaming video services like Netflix and Now TV normally test the connection speed and adjust the screen resolution accordingly. If your broadband connection was poor or maybe you were watching on a tablet in the bedroom and the wi-fi connection wasn't great, it probably set you to a low resolution.

Tried it on a windows 10 PC, iPhone and Samsung Android and its terrible on them all. I'm on a Virgin 240Mbps connection and haven't had an issue with Netflix or other streaming service before. I did use an alternative for the last test and it was close to perfect while I watched Now TV buffer constantly.

Only thing I could put it down to was the service was oversubscribed at the Now TV side, unless Virgin are doing something!

I'd happily pay for day passes for certain sporting events but not experience I had

• Advertisement

Only thing I could put it down to was the service was oversubscribed at the Now TV side, unless Virgin are doing something!

Virgin would prefer you to subscribe to Sky Sports, they don't see the money you pay to Now TV but I think it would be a conspiracy theory too far to suggest that they strangled the feed. it's more likely that the service was oversubscribed as you suggest, given that there would have been a reasonably big takeup for the test matches by home users who didn't already have Sky Sports via dish or cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Have a Now TV month pass there I got from Just eat if anyone wants it just holler.

I'm on the UK service, won't work with it

Schwanz wrote:
    Have a Now TV month pass there I got from Just eat if anyone wants it just holler.

Yes please

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Yes please

Check your inbox pal 🙂

Thank you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Re Post #64

I've reviewed this post and while I think the poster could have used a less ranting tone and left out the final sentence (which I've removed), it is hard to disagree with some of the sentiments in the same week that Sky decided to reduce substantially the price of the cheapest Sky Sports package in the U.K. while not offering a similar proposal here.

I'm not issuing a warning on this occasion but the OP might want to consider a more measured tone next time

icdg wrote: »
    Re Post #64

I've reviewed this post and while I think the poster could have used a less ranting tone and left out the final sentence (which I've removed), it is hard to disagree with some of the sentiments in the same week that Sky decided to reduce substantially the price of the cheapest Sky Sports package in the U.K. while not offering a similar proposal here.

I'm not issuing a warning on this occasion but the OP might want to consider a more measured tone next time

It's a fair cop gov'nor. As an fyi that sentence is in a reply one post down if you wanted it gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I've only recently become aware of this product and am very interested.

From a quick scan of this thread there seem to be issues with the video quality. The issues with UK credentials and price differences don't concern me. I'm willing to pay EUR 40 for the box and EUR 15 a month for the entertainment pass, but only if the video quality is on a par with Netflix.

Is the video quality consistently poor, or are some people happy with what they're paying for ?

Thanks

TarfHead wrote: »

From a quick scan of this thread there seem to be issues with the video quality. The issues with UK credentials and price differences don't concern me. I'm willing to pay EUR 40 for the box and EUR 15 a month for the entertainment pass, but only if the video quality is on a par with Netflix.

Is the video quality consistently poor, or are some people happy with what they're paying for ?

Thanks

Video quality on the live channels can be SD.

All box sets I've watched are 720 HD without glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Schwanz wrote: »
    Video quality on the live channels can be SD.

All box sets I've watched are 720 HD without glitch.

Thanks
    Bought the box in Currys with a 2 month Entertainment Pass for €40. All works out of the box, so that's good.

One minor quibble, one of the boxsets used in the advertising campaign isn't available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I watched one of the lions tests on it and it was flawless. For the entire duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 flatey

Probably a weird sounding question but, is there any way to watch NowTV on an actual TV without the box?

I have an android TV, not a box running the android TV OS but an actual TV running the android TV OS (that sounds like the same thing, but it unfortunately really really isn't).

The app is available in the play store, but not the android TV play store (the play store for actual TVs running android TV OS is different from the android TV OS one).

Has anyone tried side loading it?

I ask because side loading on an actual android TV is a pain in the arse because chrome isn't available for android TVs (it is for android TV OS, just not android TVs running android TV OS...) so you have to download it on another device then fiddle around with file managers and transfers and stuff.
    (If someone else has already tried it, I can use their experience to preserve my sanity).

The Android app on the phone wants phone call permissions to set up.
    I'm wary of attempting to side load it in case I end up throwing the telly out the window in frustration if half an hour fiddling back and forth ends up with it demanding permission to make phone calls from my telly.

*any language confusion in this post is solely the fault of Googles lackadaisical approach to nomenclature and I accept no responsibility *

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

flatey wrote: »
    Probably a weird sounding question but, is there any way to watch NowTV on an actual TV without the box?

I have an android TV, not a box running the android TV OS but an actual TV running the android TV OS (that sounds like the same thing, but it unfortunately really really isn't).

The app is available in the play store, but not the android TV play store (the play store for actual TVs running android TV OS is different from the android TV OS one).

Has anyone tried side loading it?

I ask because side loading on an actual android TV is a pain in the arse because chrome isn't available for android TVs (it is for android TV OS, just not android TVs running android TV OS...) so you have to download it on another device then fiddle around with file managers and transfers and stuff.
    (If someone else has already tried it, I can use their experience to preserve my sanity).

The Android app on the phone wants phone call permissions to set up.
    I'm wary of attempting to side load it in case I end up throwing the telly out the window in frustration if half an hour fiddling back and forth ends up with it demanding permission to make phone calls from my telly.

*any language confusion in this post is solely the fault of Googles lackadaisical approach to nomenclature and I accept no responsibility *

I used a miracast dongle but the quality wasn't great.

Thanks

I'd like to know this too.
    If I buy a box and have a wired connection between modem and TV, will the picture quality be 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks

Quality is fine by me. No issues.

I've seen lots of recent Sky publicity about how they're going to split sports onto dedicated channels which would suggest that if (e.g.) you only wanted to watch golf then you could subscribe to 'Sky Golf' and that's all you'd have to pay for. That would suit me fine since currently my only options for an ongoing Sky sports subscription is to pay Virgin Media or Now TV for all of the sports channels.

The Now TV website for example is talking about '10 Sky Sports channels' - does anyone know if this is ever going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

coylemj wrote: »
    I've seen lots of recent Sky publicity about how they're going to split sports onto dedicated channels which would suggest that if (e.g.) you only wanted to watch golf then you could subscribe to 'Sky Golf' and that's all you'd have to pay for. That would suit me fine since currently my only options for an ongoing Sky sports subscription is to pay Virgin Media or Now TV for all of the sports channels.

The Now TV website for example is talking about '10 Sky Sports channels' - does anyone know if this is ever going to happen?

Only Sky UK customers can split the Sky Sports channels. Everyone else must take them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

lertsnim wrote: »
    Only Sky UK customers can split the Sky Sports channels. Everyone else must take them all.
    Now uk customers cannot chose or split sky sports channels

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To clarify, it is only Sky satellite customers in the U.K. who have the option.

• Advertisement

For some reason they keep advertising their UK only features on their .ie website.

Advertisement