Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Own Personal 'Game of 2016'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

No Man's Sky Has to be DOOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Turn based > real time.

I've yet to play a real time RPG or strategy game as good as the best turn based ones and the XCom games are pretty much top of the turn based pile.

Age of Empires? Total War? Starcraft? Warcraft? Command and Conquer? Company of Heroes? All excellent RTS and excellent games in their own right, but maybe you simply have a preference for turn based. Regarding RPGs i agree with you, unless we count games like the Witcher and Mass Effect as Real Time RPGs...

Also, DOOM is goty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Age of Empires? Total War? Starcraft? Warcraft? Command and Conquer? Company of Heroes? All excellent RTS and excellent games in their own right, but maybe you simply have a preference for turn based. Regarding RPGs i agree with you, unless we count games like the Witcher and Mass Effect as Real Time RPGs...

All those RTS games are great but give me a good strategy game like X-Com or Final Fantasy Tactics over them any day of the week.

As for RPGs like the Witcher and Mass Effect, again great games but the combat systems aren't that great. In RPGs for me a good turn based combat system like in Grandia or the latest Persona games has yet to be topped by a real time system for me. However the likes of Witcher and Mass Effect excel in different areas, like the actual role playing (more so for the Witcher series than mass effect).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give me real time with pause over turn based any day of the week. Basically, just copy Baldurs Gate and you have (imo) the best system available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brevity

Didn't really get to play much this year but I did manage to play Firewatch which I loved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hearts of Iron 4 for myself, clocked up well over 200 hours since August. Some fantastic mods out for it also, Kaiserreich, Millennium Dawn and Great War.

Looking forward to further DLC and patches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    Give me real time with pause over turn based any day of the week. Basically, just copy Baldurs Gate and you have (imo) the best system available.

I only really used the Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age system recently and was surprised there was quite a bit of strategy involved in the placement of characters, skill use and prioritising targets but I still feel it pales in comparison to the very best turn based systems. I'd still put that system well ahead of the usual Final Fantasy lark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I only really used the Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age system recently and was surprised there was quite a bit of strategy involved in the placement of characters, skill use and prioritising targets but I still feel it pales in comparison to the very best turn based systems. I'd still put that system well ahead of the usual Final Fantasy lark.

Absolutely. Baldurs Gate 2 for me is the pinnacle of the Isometric RPG genre, and i loved everything about it. There are some extremely difficult and tactical battles in there. I'm an absolute fan boy, so not exactly impartial :)

I've not used turn based in that many games to be honest. It works brilliantly in Xcom and the like though, so when done well, it is very good. Hopefully Tides of Numeria can do it well.

As for 2016, Stellaris is getting a lot of my play time now, and i'd have that up there as one of my favourites of last year if i'd played it sooner. The music is absolutely fantastic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

joe123 wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XV for me. Im a fan of the main series anyways but after the disappointment of 13 I was worried. If you invest time into learning what 15 is about, its brilliant.

Mankind Divided came a close second and surprisingly, The Division is up there. Got a hard time from many but I loved it and played the absolute crap out of it.
    Wow, pretty much my top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Doom for me, the single player is so much fun, I completeted 3 or 4 times. For the last few months I've been spending a lot of time in snapmap, it really is an excellent tool, and there're loads of great community made levels. Haven't gone near the multiplayer yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Overtaking Overwatch for my favourite game was Titanfall 2. Perfectly refined shooter. Inventive campaign and well thought out Multiplayer.

Can't see past Overwatch. I gave the open beta a go and I couldn't believe how much fun it was. Honestly the most fun I had with a game in years. It reminded me the early days of playing LAN games.

The Witcher 3 is up there too. A single player game where I didn't lose my patience and concentration to see it to the end is a rare thing.

I would love to say DOOM but the game dragged for me. I absolutely loved the opening and the direction they took with narrative was 10/10 but it was twice as long as it needed to be. I managed to finish this too but I forced myself towards the end. Once I do that, I'm not really enjoying myself.

Advertisement