Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Own Personal 'Game of 2016'

Options
  • 31-12-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

(If this thread has already been made - I couldnt find it using this phone... and sorry)

Now that 2016 is on the brink of ending, what game(s) has been the highlight of your year?

For me, my own game of the year goes to The Last Guardian. As awkward the game was to actually play from a technical level, narratively it's the only game I played that made me really care for a character. No other game has done that for me in the last five years - let alone this year. Even after finishing it about 2 weeks ago before today I still think about it. It is truly an amazing game for story alone, I think.

What's been your game of the year?

(Oh yeah, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a game released in 2016. Good shout, Pigeon)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've really been enjoying Elite Dangerous on and off.
    It isn't a game I would normally go for which is one of the reasons I am enjoying it.

The amount of detail in it is amazing and when you think how little it started with, how much is there now and how much more they are planning on adding in I think it is gearing up to be an amazing game for anyone that has an interest in it.
    You can carve out your own adventures and decide what kind of path you want to take.

The learning curve for it can be a bit steep but worth it if you can hang on.
    Obviously I have enjoyed more but I keep coming back to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Doom for definite bought it not expecting much but it turned to be probably my favorite game of the year even went back and bought Wolfenstein when I'd finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I'm going to assume that because its personal game of the year it didn't have to be released in 2016 but only played 2016. Anyway, I picked up Life is Strange on a complete whim as it was on sale early last year, didn't even think it would have been the sort of game I would be into. Was completely blown away by it, felt like a really gripping TV series only deeper because of the emotional investment due to the decisions you make and how that influences the story, it was one of those rare gems that come along every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I returned to Minecraft just this month after a gap of a couple of years. Mostly to show it to my son, who has become immediately enthralled with it. He can't really play it himself, but instead tells me what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Star Wars Battlefront. It brought me back to gaming as I find it the best Star Wars game ever. I never played a first person shooter with the console gamepads before. Went from cannon fodder to quite handy. Now I can't wait to see what they do with the VR version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Steins;Gate 0, very hard for lightning to strike twice with the same love for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Stardew Valley. That game had me absolutely hooked and it just got so many things right. It managed to surpass the game that inspired it in almost every way.

Hitman for me , great return to form for the series.

Honourable mention to Virginia for being something refreshingly different.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

In terms of longevity and fun, nothing has come close to Overwatch for me. Easily my game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

In no particular order

- Mario 3d World Wii u
    - Doom PS4
    - Uncharted 4 PS4

Other notable mentions to zombie army trilogy, the division and battlefield 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Has to be Overwatch amazing game and a phenomenon already with 20+ million players,to think its blizzards first ever fps is all the more impressive.
    Doom,Titalfall2,xcom2 [although ive yet to finish it] also stand out for me,only played 2 hours of the latest civ game but it looks great too.

Switch over to smaller dev teams and Automobilista is the clear winner for me, stardew valley gets special mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Doom and Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Doom and Titanfall 2 were the ones that really stood out for me. Such a crime Titanfall 2 was released between BF1 and CoD, it deserved much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Overwatch, simply because I enjoy playing it, even when I'm losing (really!)

After that, DOOM has brought lots of simple, cathartic joy.
    And The Witcher 3, while flawed, is amazing in the gigantic world it is able to weave.

Shoutouts to Guilty Gear Xrd/Revelator & Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for being supremely polished PC ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Inside is my game of 2016. Stunning art direction, disturbing atmosphere and a sensational final act. An absolute triumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    In terms of longevity and fun, nothing has come close to Overwatch for me. Easily my game of the year.
    Definitely my game of the year too. Just consistently so much fun.

I'd also give mention to Journey, which I only played for the first time a few months ago. What an amazing, unforgettable experience. I knew basically nothing about the game before playing it and played it through in one sitting. Easily one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Had to be Star Wars battlefront for me! Multiplayer is epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's hard to say really, 2016 has been quite good for gaming.

Overwatch wins in terms of just sit down and play. I generally hate FPS games but find myself coming back to Overwatch on a daily basis, if only to play 2 or 3 games.

Doom was a really pleasant surprise, sometimes you just want to pick up a gun and shoot stuff in the face with over the top gorey effects. A lot of games rely on narrative and insane plot twists, which can be fun, but sometimes it's just fun to run around and murder demons.

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine: I loved the Witcher 3, but B&W blew me away due to the sheer size of it. For a DLC it's basically the size of many other games from AAA companies and gave me I'd say around 30 hours of extra playtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Didnt manage to finish many games this year but it has to be either Doom or Firewatch. Honourable mention for Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Total Warhammer for me. Perfect melding of TW and Warhammer, and it was fun from the start too, none of this Rome 2 cack.

Now if only the DLCs would drop in price I could justify pulling the trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

Titanfall 2 for its brilliant single player. Loved it.

Uncharted 4 for its sheer beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Rainbow 6

Enjoyed doom, battlefield, Rocket league, blops 3, civ v and lots of indie games but r6 gave me the fps I've been waiting for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As per the GAME AWARDS 2016 we held, Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Nights of Azure for me, amazing soundtrack and I absolutely loved the main character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Nights of Azure for me, amazing soundtrack and I absolutely loved the main character

The Five Nights at Freddy's games because I played them with my daughter and I think my squeal was a higher pitch than hers. Finally played Half Life 2 and Papers Please and loved them both with Threes always bubbling in the background.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The year started and ended with games I liked so much I feel bad picking between the two (and both Inside and Stephen's Sausage Roll would give them a run for their money).

I'm both lucky and unlucky enough to not have a particularly addictive personality when it comes to games, so I rarely if ever find myself stuck into games for months at a time - tend to move on from online games and RPGs quite quickly as a result, even ones I quite like. But The Witness got me completely. I was absolutely engrossed in it for a couple of weeks, absolutely riveted by its world and eager to dig into its various layers of secrets. Where some found it a cold, detached game, I found the whole thing immensely welcoming and respectful of my time and commitment. I've read plenty of reasonable criticism of the game and lots of different takes, and can see where many of those who didn't like it are coming from. But for me it was a uniquely captivating game: loved its puzzles, its world, its patience, its absolute focus, and the way it drip fed the narrative and themes as you dug deeper. Above all, I loved that Jonathan Blow and Thekla, Inc set out to make a game that wanted to reward players in a way beyond collectibles or achievements - and for me anyway it was a truly rewarding experience.

And then, 11 months later, along came The Last Guardian. I've written about it plenty in the main thread, but really how thrilling it was for a game to emerge from development hell with such confidence and consistency. Again, while I can absolutely see where many are coming from when they say it feels like its from the PS2 era - although it would also be wonderful to see a return to those heady days of idiosyncratic blockbusters - it also feels ahead of its time. Few games are so committed to ensuring everything works in harmony. It feels more epic than any Uncharted, but also absolutely full of quiet and subtle flourishes and moments. Time flew playing through the game, but it also doesn't outstay its welcome. Mostly it's all about that central relationship, though: how that defines the puzzles, the story, the level design, the controls, and pretty much everything to be honest. Ueda is a master of the medium, and let's hope we hear from again before another decade passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wind waker HD

Looks, sounds and plays fantastically well. Simply one of the best games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Overwatch just can't tear myself away from it. Apart from that I really enjoyed Life is Strange a bit quirky with a great story and all the feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hot dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades

And its not even really a game...just a gun simulator

• Advertisement

A reminder that M!Ck^ really likes Doom

Advertisement