Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Own Personal 'Game of 2016'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,813 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Overwatch has to be my game of 2016. I've close to 200 hours already and I only bought it at the end of June and didn't play until August/September. Fantastic game.

I also want to mention Sunset Overdrive and Tomb Raider Definite Edition even if they were released 2014. Played both recently and have loved both. Great games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Slither.io

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

For me it was The Witness.

Whether games are serious art can be debated, but at least Jonathan blow is trying to do something interesting with the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Think it's got to be Doom for me. Though I've had a lot of fun with other games, that was constant joy and adrenaline.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After thinking long and hard regarding my single player choice, Titanfall 2 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was a bit different last year, only a few AAA games stood out for me, and i'm against the grain for most people. Like everyone saying Doom is their GOTY, but i just can't get into it, and i love FPS games. I play about a level or two and give up out of meh-ness. Same happened with Dishonored 2, and i had to stop playing Watch_Dogs 2 due to the unacceptable levels of hipsterness (seriously, way too hipster for me).

However, a couple of games i only got around to playing this year have really stood out for me. Even though they're not 2016 games, i haven't enjoyed a game as much as i have these 2 in a long time; Guacamelee and Dust: An Elysian Tale. Two absolutely fantastic games, and not a moment of boredom or grind between them. They were fantastically paced, just enough of everything without going overboard and making it boring. Really well made games. So, they would be my 2016 Games of the Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For me, there were 2 standout games that ate up most of my time last year - Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1. As someone who games less and less the past few years, it's always fantastic to find a game that totally reawakens your interest in gaming. Haven't played Fallout 4 in a few months but will be clearing some time this month to pour into it again to wrap it up - think I've about 100 hours put into it and haven't finished the main story or touched the DLC yet. If only all single player games could be that good value for money.

Honorable mention to Company of Heroes, a game that's ten years old yet still manages to look, sound, and handle spectacularly well and is still as much fun to play with friends as it was in 2006.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Easily Rainbox 6 Siege for me. The game has come on leaps and bounds since launch and currently enjoying its largest playerbase currently. The game is so intricate yet so simple, no map is ever played out the same twice. It's rewarding and its tactical, above all other modern shooters in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Lots of Great games released and played in 2016 but i have to say Everybody's Gone to The Rapture was the game that really affected me,and had me thinking about it long after id finished it..

Game i played most? Rainbow 6 Siege..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Titanfall 2 - campaign is excellent and multiplayer is surprisingly good, very fast paced action. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Titanfall 2, the multiplayer is just fantastic fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Rainbow 6 Siege.

I have to go with the game I clocked insane hours in.

It's been a great year for Rainbow 6 Siege. Player base continues to grow. Free maps and characters all year was a great way to build up the player base.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Titanfall 2 for me, just ahead of Overwatch. I suspect I'll spend more time in the future on Overwatch than Titanfall but the campaign for me was the best single player shooter campaign since Half-Life 2 and the multi-player is a hell of a lot of fun.

Playing Doom at the moment through and really enjoying that too, 2016 was a great year for shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Final Fantasy XV for me. Im a fan of the main series anyways but after the disappointment of 13 I was worried. If you invest time into learning what 15 is about, its brilliant.

Mankind Divided came a close second and surprisingly, The Division is up there. Got a hard time from many but I loved it and played the absolute crap out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Overwatch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Digimon cyber sleuth

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pocket Card Jockey was the perfect portable game and it's a crime more people haven't played it. While I enjoyed a few games last year, Doom and being the standout, I think I had the most fun with Pocket Card Jockey. A simple concept with some surprisingly well written and funny dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pocket Card Jockey is a hell of a lot of fun for the first few hours but after you've been through three or four generations of horses, there's not much left to do.

Mind you, you can't really complain too much when it costs next to nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but those first few hours are fantastic :)

I kind of fell out of love with games this year so nothing really blew me away. Happens to me every so often until I find something that gets me back into them. Found it last night in the unlikeliest places, Shining in the Darkness on the Megadrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd really like my answer to be more high-brow and to give this to something fresh, creative, or thought provoking.

But the unfortunate reality is I'd have to say Battlefield 1. It really got its hooks into me and I can't tear myself away from it. There isn't a class or vehicle in that game that I don't enjoy using. And everything just feels dirty and meaty and impactful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, must investigate this Titanfall 2 campaign now, never even occurred to me to check if it had one.

I can't believe the popularity of Overwatch, another boring repetitive cartoon shooter clogging up my newsfeeds every morning, how do people get any entertainment out of games like this? They're just so... pointless.

Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine was the winner for me by a mile, nothing else even came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thargor wrote: »
    I can't believe the popularity of Overwatch, another boring repetitive cartoon shooter clogging up my newsfeeds every morning, how do people get any entertainment out of games like this? They're just so... pointless.

Name 1 other new cartoon shooter that's played by more than 500 people.

I'll wait.
    ===

But to actually answer your question: Because Overwatch is a good mix of old and new FPS.
    The time-to-kill (survivability) is higher than in bland "modern warfare" FPS, every character has actual character, weapons & abilities are all unique and interesting, hell it even caters to players who can't aim well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Splatoon. Do I get a prize?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I would have said Titanfall 2, but I only finally got around to The Witcher 3 this last month and my gods it's incredible! Just finished some of the final missions in the main storyline last night and it glitched, so hopefully the autosaves are still in tact :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dylanmc30

I really enjoyed fallout 4 this year but maybe i'm one of the few that did :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not much mention of XCOM 2 is a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Dcully wrote: »
    Not much mention of XCOM 2 is a shock.

as im not really into turn based stratagy im waiting for a serious sale before i buy it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You can get it in the humble bundle subscription thingy for €12 right now and unsub straight away if you wish.

Turn based > real time.

I've yet to play a real time RPG or strategy game as good as the best turn based ones and the XCom games are pretty much top of the turn based pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Mankind Divided for me, very fun to play and a story I enjoyed.

Honourable mention for Firewatch, not too much here in terms of game play but there's just enough going on with the story and atmosphere and it goes on for just as long as it needs to, an enjoyable experience.

Advertisement