Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So, what do ye think of the ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well that was all a bit sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So, what do ye think of the ending!

Well, I think it means 'we actually can write some good material, but you will have to sit through 5.5 episodes of meh in series 3, before we get to it'.

It should just end with Eric and Tara leaving their jobs and daddies and going for a walk down the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Silk starring Maxine Peake was a splendid exemplar of a legal drama.
    As the central character, Maxine Peake's performance was excellent.

Really loved Silk. It was brilliant.

• Advertisement

I looked at the second and third parts to see if the finale would live up to the hype of the ads. What on earth was that about? :rolleyes: This program is beyond sh1te.

Are we meant to believe that newspaper leaks would happen in the middle of a courtroom and that Pike (Neil Morrissey) wouldn't be well drilled on this beforehand? newspapers normally go to print the night before and many of the media outlets have the full scoop. BTW, Morrissey is woeful hammy. His insistence on calling yer man 'Bookworm' is particularly grating and cringeworthy

And the reaction to these leaks was so indifferent it was astounding. :confused:

But still.....loads upon loads of shots of Dublin City from every angle and every camera lense possible. :rolleyes:

The only convincing character in this has been Dunbar senior who is very convincing as a machiavellian character but i sense his range of character is relatively limited as an actor overall.

I hope someone in Montrose sees sense, puts their adulation for Amy and Brian to one side, and bins this hogwash. If they use this shít on an advert to try justify the licence fee then they deserve a hammering

joeysoap wrote: »
    I enjoy striking out,even though I know it’s poor. Poor storylines and a happy ending every week.

Meg is a direct lift (poor imitation) from the Good wife (Kalinda)

As regards RTÉ drama, I thought Love/Hate was terrific, as was Can’t Cope, Won’t Cope.

The two actresses in Cant Cope Wont Cope were terrific, especially Seana Kerslake. Actually Amy Huberman was good in this too.

The program itself while not the worst i've ever seen by any means perhaps lacked structure in parts but is very relatable.

Far more deserving of a second season than that sh1te tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Plus the story lines were very unrealistic. Like Meg the super spy is working for Tara in series one then switches sides to Dunbar and then back to Tara again. Dunbar Jnr is ready to give evidence against his own father in order to help his ex girlfriend, throwing away his whole career and eventual ownership of a law firm in the process. The widow the Pike recruited for the tribunal is willing to put her late husbands redundancy & pension on the line and break legal privledge by testifying, all for no clear benefit to herself except to help Pike investigate the corruption into the awarding of the contract for the Leinster General Hospital. Then Pikes cocaine use is leaked to the media during the course of his questioning at the Tribunal of Dunbar Snr and yer man just goes "I think we are done here" and walks out :confused:

Like come on, this thing has more holes in it than a fishermans net

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

So we're supposed to accept that because the story broke about Pike in the papers (printed midday), yer man Dunbar senior is suddenly off the hook for the questions he couldn't answer.

Also, every senior member of the legal scene here speaks with an aristocratic English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Turfcutter wrote: »
    So we're supposed to accept that because the story broke about Pike in the papers (printed midday), yer man Dunbar senior is suddenly off the hook for the questions he couldn't answer.

Also, every senior member of the legal scene here speaks with an aristocratic English accent.

That was laughable alright; and everyone at the inquiry had their phones going off at exactly the same time with the story.

A suitably woeful end to some chronic television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A clear set up for series 3 I feel,
    We don't know what was said between Eric and Tara in the pre-trib meeting, the look between them at the end makes me think it's not all it seems.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Please tell me there won't be a series 3. I gave up watching this one a few episodes ago. Surely a bit of decent drama on Wintry Sunday nights isn't too much to ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Please tell me there won't be a series 3. I gave up watching this one a few episodes ago. Surely a bit of decent drama on Wintry Sunday nights isn't too much to ask for?

It is apparently. RTE are going to finish off this TV year with 2 past their sell by dates reality shows. Room To Improve will be shown between February and the end of March with the worse Dragon's Den on for April into mid May. Not a fan of Striking Out but I'd take it before all this reality stuff. It is obvious these things are made on a shoestring and require not much effort.

I said it before and will say it again about RTE dramas of late. They have become increasingly tame and restrained, inoffensive and not compelling. If Striking Out, Clean Break, The Young Offenders and Rebellion were made 5 years ago, they'd be far more gritty and compelling. Instead, all these (which all could have good potential if made properly) are just tame and do not satisfy the diehard Love/Hate fans like myself.

Love/Hate was unafraid to show the world it depicted in full. And I am not only talking about the violence and betrayals of the gang. They showed all players including the cops as imperfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

So disappointed with the finale. Jesus why did I watch this at all?

The only convincing character in this has been Dunbar senior who is very convincing as a machiavellian character but i sense his range of character is relatively limited as an actor overall.

I hope someone in Montrose sees sense, puts their adulation for Amy and Brian to one side, and bins this hogwash. If they use this shít on an advert to try justify the licence fee then they deserve a hammering

I agree with this. As said before about other things, the media have become so detached from the people. They want to force the same people on us over and over. Striking Out is a handy little drama for Amy who is one of the in people for RTE. It is cheap to make, inoffensive and harmless. While it is watchable, it is not something one would view when you have something else.

RTE have listened to the minority who complained about good dramas like Family and Love/Hate being too violent. This lead to all the poor and half baked attempts. When RTE turn to a gangland theme now, it is either a comedic approach (The Young Offenders) or a toned down one (Clean Break). Now of course a drama does not have to be violent to be good. I recall the Amongst Women being a very good example of a well made classic drama from the late 1990s. It was not made by RTE of course but I don't see why RTE could not revive other classic books or plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is apparently. RTE are going to finish off this TV year with 2 past their sell by dates reality shows. Room To Improve will be shown between February and the end of March with the worse Dragon's Den on for April into mid May. Not a fan of Striking Out but I'd take it before all this reality stuff. It is obvious these things are made on a shoestring and require not much effort.

I said it before and will say it again about RTE dramas of late. They have become increasingly tame and restrained, inoffensive and not compelling. If Striking Out, Clean Break, The Young Offenders and Rebellion were made 5 years ago, they'd be far more gritty and compelling. Instead, all these (which all could have good potential if made properly) are just tame and do not satisfy the diehard Love/Hate fans like myself.

Love/Hate was unafraid to show the world it depicted in full. And I am not only talking about the violence and betrayals of the gang. They showed all players including the cops as imperfect.
    I agree with most of what you say, but I don't think you can really describe Young Offenders as tame - anything but!

Another thing I notice is that while there is an obvious policy of restraint on drama on RTE, The swearing, sexual innuendos and corner boy terminology used by Tubridy and some of his guests on Fridays is never restrained. Drama has suffered. If you were to look at the best dramas ever on RTE, I'd pick out Love/Hate, Family and Strumpet City. Each knew what it was and dealt with the topic in a proper manner. All came from good writers. Amongst Women was also a good Irish drama from a good writer. Sadly, these 4 great dramas were one offs and the likes of The Big Bow Wow, Striking Out and Trouble in Paradise were more common. I think others like Amber and Charlie were decent too and underrated. 2 dramas that could have been great but weren't were Rebellion and Clean Break. The restraint killed both and it is a pity as there was potential in both to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fairly meh last episode...and series in general.
    It's really trying to be the good wife...but it is not the good wife! It is well shot I will say but the acting is really uneven...I don't think I need another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Sadly, these 4 ... were one offs.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Watched the finale but what a load of old sh1t. I kinda liked Amy's Da in it - Alan Rickmanesque

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope there's a new series next year

branie2 wrote: »
    I hope there's a new series next year

I didn't hate it compared to lots of people here. I hope tough they wrap up the current story fairly fast and don't leave it go on!

I agree with this. As said before about other things, the media have become so detached from the people. They want to force the same people on us over and over. Striking Out is a handy little drama for Amy who is one of the in people for RTE. It is cheap to make, inoffensive and harmless. While it is watchable, it is not something one would view when you have something else.

RTE have listened to the minority who complained about good dramas like Family and Love/Hate being too violent. This lead to all the poor and half baked attempts. When RTE turn to a gangland theme now, it is either a comedic approach (The Young Offenders) or a toned down one (Clean Break). Now of course a drama does not have to be violent to be good. I recall the Amongst Women being a very good example of a well made classic drama from the late 1990s. It was not made by RTE of course but I don't see why RTE could not revive other classic books or plays.

The BAI are a huge factor in the increasing dilution of TV too. Seem to be a very heavy handed organisation rightly or wrongly

Another thing I notice is that while there is an obvious policy of restraint on drama on RTE, The swearing, sexual innuendos and corner boy terminology used by Tubridy and some of his guests on Fridays is never restrained. Drama has suffered. If you were to look at the best dramas ever on RTE, I'd pick out Love/Hate, Family and Strumpet City. Each knew what it was and dealt with the topic in a proper manner. All came from good writers. Amongst Women was also a good Irish drama from a good writer. Sadly, these 4 great dramas were one offs and the likes of The Big Bow Wow, Striking Out and Trouble in Paradise were more common. I think others like Amber and Charlie were decent too and underrated. 2 dramas that could have been great but weren't were Rebellion and Clean Break. The restraint killed both and it is a pity as there was potential in both to be very good.

Adam and Paul and Pure Mule were decent shows too I think. I remember 'Amongst Women'. Also very good.

Trouble in Paradise is a show i had suppressed to the back of my memory such was its atrociousness. If i recall, it featured Angeline Ball and Lorcan Cranitch?

Adam and Paul and Pure Mule were decent shows too I think. I remember 'Amongst Women'. Also very good.

Trouble in Paradise is a show i had suppressed to the back of my memory such was its atrociousness. If i recall, it featured Angeline Ball and Lorcan Cranitch?

Your description of Trouble in Paradise is spot on. It started out with an interesting idea and then basically went nowhere and was the typical poor fare expected at the time. Its only saving grace was it was slightly better than The Big Bow Wow.

The BAI are a huge factor in the increasing dilution of TV too. Seem to be a very heavy handed organisation rightly or wrongly

There's something at play for sure. As long as RTE listen to those who criticise violence, etc. in drama, the same old tame rubbish will be made. Imagine in other countries if the makers of classic franchises such as Indiana Jones, Batman, Mad Max, Blade Runner, Dirty Harry, James Bond, etc. listened to such people. Ireland got it right when they made dramas like Love/Hate and RTE should stick with making drama unafraid to show its subject matter properly.

Your description of Trouble in Paradise is spot on. It started out with an interesting idea and then basically went nowhere and was the typical poor fare expected at the time. Its only saving grace was it was slightly better than The Big Bow Wow.

Christ the Big Bow Wow must have been terrible stuff altogether because Trouble in Paradise was a mess. Ironic thing is that Trouble in Paradise had Lorcan Cranitch, Angeline Ball and Tom Murphy who were all brilliant actors. Tom Murphy was fantastic in Pure Mule. A man who died far too young.

Christ the Big Bow Wow must have been terrible stuff altogether because Trouble in Paradise was a mess. Ironic thing is that Trouble in Paradise had Lorcan Cranitch, Angeline Ball and Tom Murphy who were all brilliant actors. Tom Murphy was fantastic in Pure Mule. A man who died far too young.

The Big Bow Wow is really as bad as everyone says it is. Striking Out is excellent in direct comparison. The 3 actors in Trouble In Paradise are excellent and perhaps they made it a bit better than the Bow Wow which had no quality actors in it at all. Eoghan Harris. yes THE Eoghan Harris, was one of the geniuses who wrote the Bow Wow.

• Advertisement

The Big Bow Wow is really as bad as everyone says it is. Striking Out is excellent in direct comparison. The 3 actors in Trouble In Paradise are excellent and perhaps they made it a bit better than the Bow Wow which had no quality actors in it at all. Eoghan Harris. yes THE Eoghan Harris, was one of the geniuses who wrote the Bow Wow.

There is another problem, its all a clique at Montrose. Because of this, talented writers will never be sought apart from the odd fluke here and there.

Advertisement