Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Saw a tiny bit of this last night. It is hard to believe it is nearly 14 years since The Big Bow Wow was first on our screens. That was full of storylines that went nowhere, stereotyped characters and unrealistic situations. Tara actually would fit in well with the Bow Wows and is a stereotyped character too. SO may be better than TBBW but not by too much. TBBW had gardai, drug dealers, lecturers and postgrad students as its main characters while SO is about solicitors. The depiction in both are clichéd and situations in both often unrealistic. Tara's makeshift 'office' and the borderline criminal who works with her would not reflect a real world solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joeysoap wrote: »
    That hotel in Wicklow was nice and the use of Drones for photography is excellent. Storeylines are rubbish though.

Is it just me or does the enterprise not go to Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Nearly sure that wasn’t the Enterprise. Wrong colour scheme. Looked like normal intercity to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I am finding it really difficult to tell Tara's mother and that Deirdre woman apart.

Does any PA nowadays call their boss 'Mr whatever'? Eric's secretary kept doing it and it drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joeysoap wrote: »
    Nearly sure that wasn’t the Enterprise. Wrong colour scheme. Looked like normal intercity to me.

Derp, you'r right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah, it does me alright for a bit of a wind-down. Nice scenery, generally pleasant characters and harmless. You want excitement turn on the radio for the latest on the Hutch/Kinahan feud.

I thought the ex.nun was going to throw herself into the harbour near the end there - that would have 'livened' things up. As for Ray, I was sure that he was going to tell his boyfriend that he was going straight - I think he has the hots for Meg. Until next week..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Del.Monte wrote: »

I thought the ex.nun was going to throw herself into the harbour near the end there - that would have 'livened' things up. As for Ray, I was sure that he was going to tell his boyfriend that he was going straight - I think he has the hots for Meg. Until next week..:D

Any idea where that harbour/pier scene was shot?

Any idea where that harbour/pier scene was shot?

Pretty sure that it was the West Pier at Wicklow Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Racking my brains to figure out where the closing credits were filmed, anyone know where it is?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Does every programme made in Dublin have to feature those "red sticks". I don't know the proper name for them, but they seem to be in everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fair City via Califronia

Stilted dialogue.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Does every programme made in Dublin have to feature those "red sticks". I don't know the proper name for them, but they seem to be in everything.

Outside Bord Gais theatre i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Tara always has the same odd expression on her face.

Ooh Huberman just showed a flicker of emotion. Controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ooh Huberman just showed a flicker of emotion. Controversial.

Did Princess Amy really just say the F word? Not feck, the other F word.

Did Princess Amy really just say the F word? Not feck, the other F word.

The bad F word.

Yes she did, I was shocked she actually reacted to something as opposed to simpering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Tara needn't worry too much about the precious inquiry... if the Law Society got news of what herself and George have been up with the insurance scammers, she'd be toast professionally anyway.

A bit weird that Caroline wants to meet up with her for a 'girly chat' ...

Poor old Mammy. Home alone and forgotten about....

Meg is really annoying with that whispery voice and the oversize glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard on Newstalk this morning that complaints have been lodged to RTE about the amount of smoking in this show, including smoking at the workplace.

Slow news day. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I switched over during the ads and couldn't be bothered to switch back. Even my mother, who used to love this programme, has got bored with it and didn't bother to watch it through last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Bredabe wrote: »
    Racking my brains to figure out where the closing credits were filmed, anyone know where it is?
    If you mean in the "Nun" episode 3, the large grey building with the pillars towards the left is the old Mater Hospital with St. Joseph's Church, Berkeley Road to the right.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »

The closing scenes show the camera rising north of St.Joseph's church on Berkeley Road, Dublin.7. - close by Broadstone Station and the Basin at Blessington Street.

Striking%2BOut.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I like how there's almost as much discussion about filming locations as there is about the show itself.

Though to be fair, they do a really nice job with the cinematography.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I like how there's almost as much discussion about filming locations as there is about the show itself.

Though to be fair, they do a really nice job with the cinematography.

Only for it the show would be ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The next episode is going back to the bigamy story in the previous series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

The next episode is going back to the bigamy story in the previous series.

On joy that was great fun last time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The trailer for the next episode is annoying the hell out of me.

The secretary will always be called Karen to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Okay, I've finally caught up. And I think it's pretty good. Do people not realise how challenging it is to script, cast and shoot a high-quality show, especially on an Irish TV budget? They complain as though Irish TV production companies willfully chose to make shallow characters and rushed plots, and as though the series could have been saved if only someone had had their good sense. Because I think this one is good and it's naive to demand or expect better. The excessive drone shots bother me somewhat -- not, actually, because they don't look well, but because it feels like a cheap and contrived way of filling in or ending scenes -- and Tara Rafferty's emotional hysterics, while the men around her keep their composure, are puzzling for a show progressive enough to have a strong female lead. But all in all, I'd give it a 3.8ish out 5 and hope that its success promotes more homegrown drama.

Hopefully Eric doesn't end up being gay on Lucy/Karen!

• Advertisement

Okay, I've finally caught up. And I think it's pretty good. Do people not realise how challenging it is to script, cast and shoot a high-quality show, especially on an Irish TV budget? They complain as though Irish TV production companies willfully chose to make shallow characters and rushed plots, and as though the series could have been saved if only someone had had their good sense. Because I think this one is good and it's naive to demand or expect better. The excessive drone shots bother me somewhat -- not, actually, because they don't look well, but because it feels like a cheap and contrived way of filling in or ending scenes -- and Tara Rafferty's emotional hysterics, while the men around her keep their composure, are puzzling for a show progressive enough to have a strong female lead. But all in all, I'd give it a 3.8ish out 5 and hope that its success promotes more homegrown drama.

You're right, lets give Irish tv programmes like this and fair city a break because RTE is a **** show and they have low budgets. Give me a break, this is ****ing cack, and its only redeemed because its turned into a 'so bad its mildly amusing' scenario.

Advertisement