Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you completed? (2017 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

NaissanceE - I heard about this game by chance thanks to a casual comment from someone I follow on Twitter. Picked it up during the Steam sale with no real idea what to expect. After finishing it, I reckon it's one of the most hugely underappreciated games of recent years.

Have encounters few games quite so visually striking. The use of colour and lighting is immense as you navigate a stunning brutalist nightmare before descending into increasingly more abstract environments. While there are platforming and puzzle elements, it's the sheer mood and atmosphere that sells NaissanceE (including a wonderfully engrossing soundtrack from a few experimental music veterans). That said, there's some weird and amazing surprises if you opt to travel off the beaten track. In a particularly impressive desert level near the end, venturing to the buildings dotted around the desolate landscape provide some mysterious delights (one unexpected musical interlude was particularly thrilling).

I adored this game: there's something really special about discovering a genuine hidden gem like this. Strange, unique and beautiful.

Hidden my game by mom 2 - I still think Free Kick is Hap Inc's oddball masterpiece, but the Hidden my game by mom sequel is every bit as playful and ridiculous as you'd expect from this insane studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

NaissanceE - I heard about this game by chance thanks to a casual comment from someone I follow on Twitter. Picked it up during the Steam sale with no real idea what to expect. After finishing it, I reckon it's one of the most hugely underappreciated games of recent years

Kill Screen placed it 6th in their top 25 games of 2014.

https://killscreen.com/articles/high-scores-2014-15-6/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Kill Screen placed it 6th in their top 25 games of 2014.

https://killscreen.com/articles/high-scores-2014-15-6/

Yeah it was Chris Priestman on Twitter I believe who mentioned it.

Unfortunately Kill Screen let Priestman and a few others go late last week for an apparent 'refocus' so could be a bleak period ahead for what was IMO the finest gaming site out there. Hopefully they all find new homes asap.

Yeah it was Chris Priestman on Twitter I believe who mentioned it.

Unfortunately Kill Screen let Priestman and a few others go late last week for an apparent 'refocus' so could be a bleak period ahead for what was IMO the finest gaming site out there. Hopefully they all find new homes asap.

I'm a relative newcomer to Kill Screen. It was actually you who turned me onto it, so cheers for that. I've been picking up the digital editions one by one, and of course the site itself contains great content. Feel free to recommend anything else of that ilk. I'm always on the look out for quality games coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just finished Hatred on PC. (First game of the year)

What a wasteful 2.5hrs.

Delighted to get the sh*te off my hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finished The Last Guardian the other day.
    First finish of the year.
    Just incredible stuff.
    What next is the question though

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thearc

Inside
    Beyond: Two Souls (:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mass Effect 2 - Xbox 360

I had a tough time in getting through the first one due to the gameplay issues but the story kept me hooked.

This is a complete overhaul and plays as well as it is written. One of the more gripping games I've played in ages. Very very enjoyable.

May be late to the party with the series overall but better late than never.

Looking forward to diving into the third installment another day.

2017 Completed Games to Date:

PS4
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

3DS
    Japanese Rail Simulator 3D

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2

Finished COD:Infinite Warfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

PS4 :

The Evil Within
    Duke Nukem 3D World Tour
    Lara Croft Go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Division - Bahahahaha... not really but have finished the Main Story.. my list of games ive bought in the xmas/new years sales but haven't touched yet would be a far more impressive list :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU) -
    After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - Another incredible installment in the greatest action-adventure video game series ever. As cinematic as its predecessors, the set-pieces are bigger and better than 1 and 2, and the score is absolutely brilliant. The game isn't perfect, with quite a few (small) glitches (the cover system lets the game down as it did with its predecessor), but the experience makes up for all that. I'm looking forward to playing the fourth and final installment, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the wonderful characters Naughty Dog have created. A great game. 9/10.

Adding:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: And so with Uncharted 4: A Thief's End comes the final chapter in gaming's greatest adventure series. And what a send-off it is! Graphically the best looking game I've ever played, it sees the characters we have grown to love explore an emotional depth not present in many other video games. The action set-pieces are bigger and better than ever before, and the game gives any Hollywood blockbuster a run for its money. The game is structured perfectly, starting with a bang and ending with one of the most satisfying pay-offs I've ever seen. Simply put, Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is what a perfect video game looks like. 10/10.

Adding Middle-Earth Shadow Of Mordor. 100%

So thats,

Call of Duty:IW (PC)
    Hatred (PC)
    Shadow Of Mordor (PC)

Currently working on Portal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

COD Ghosts was 2 euro so finished that.

Fairly sure I have no idea what was going on in that game.

Adding Deadpool

So thats,

Call of Duty:IW (PC)
    Hatred (PC)
    Shadow Of Mordor (PC)
    Deadpool (PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

HITMAN (PC): Definitely a return to the old-style Hitman games. Played about half of Absolution but never finished it, this was much more like Blood Money. The overall story is fairly tepid but the little encounters you come across in each level make up for it.

Played it all at once rather than episode by episode but I can see why that system worked well for it. Six or so main missions may seems short but there's loads of replayability, I've already played story missions multiple times and there's plenty of added content to keep you going for a while.

2017 so far:
    PC
    Dishonored
    Firewatch
    HITMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

2017 so far:
    PS4|Comment
    Dishonored|Corvo Low Chaos
    The Last Guardian|Controls sucked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Flew through Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (PC) in about 4 days. I've not played a Metroidvania in a while, so it was nice to get some platforming in for a change. I didn't know what to expect as I'd not heard much about the series beforehand. Must pick up the sequel in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1

Quantum Break - Xbox 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

Did you go to the bother of unlocking the extra and secret levels? The quality actually ramps up again, I'd say.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Did you go to the bother of unlocking the extra and secret levels? The quality actually ramps up again, I'd say.

I didn't get an option, I know there are Secret levels in DKCR but didn't see any in this one.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - Another incredible installment in the greatest action-adventure video game series ever. As cinematic as its predecessors, the set-pieces are bigger and better than 1 and 2, and the score is absolutely brilliant. The game isn't perfect, with quite a few (small) glitches (the cover system lets the game down as it did with its predecessor), but the experience makes up for all that. I'm looking forward to playing the fourth and final installment, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the wonderful characters Naughty Dog have created. A great game. 9/10.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - And so with Uncharted 4: A Thief's End comes the final chapter in gaming's greatest adventure series. And what a send-off it is! Graphically the best looking game I've ever played, it sees the characters we have grown to love explore an emotional depth not present in many other video games. The action set-pieces are bigger and better than ever before, and the game gives any Hollywood blockbuster a run for its money. The game is structured perfectly, starting with a bang and ending with one of the most satisfying pay-offs I've ever seen. Simply put, Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is what a perfect video game looks like. 10/10.

Adding:

DOOM (PS4) - non-stop, heart-poundingly intense action from one of gaming's most legendary franchises. There is no stopping and getting into cover in this absolute onslaught of action, which is what sets DOOM apart from its contemporaries. Some may grow tired of the linear gameplay, but I just wanted more and more. An incredible achievement. 9.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Doom(xbox1)
    Sleeping Dogs:Definitive Edition(xbox1)
    Life is Strange(xbox1)
    Cubot:The Complexity of Simplicity(xbox1)
    Forza Horizon(x360)

All from my backlog so making some progress.

I'm on a bit of a run. Finished Trine this evening. Not the biggest puzzle fan but thats both Portal and Trine done this week.

PC
    Hatred
    Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor
    COD:IW
    Deadpool
    Doom 3
    Portal
    Trine

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Completed Watch_Dogs 2 to 100% game progression today.

Also won Division 1 in online Co-op Seasons in FIFA 17, both on Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

xerces wrote: »
    Completed Watch_Dogs 2 to 100% game progression today.

Also won Division 1 in online Co-op Seasons in FIFA 17, both on Xbox One.

Is it hard to 100% Watch Dogs 2? Contemplating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is it hard to 100% Watch Dogs 2? Contemplating it.

No not that hard actually, I did the first Watch_Dogs to 100% as well, and that was much much harder. In the end, I don't know for sure what tasks in Watch_Dogs 2 contribute to the 100% because it doesn't give you a progression tree like it did in the first one, but you can check what progression you are at using the Ubisoft Club app.

I do know that all of the main missions and side missions make up the bulk of the percentage, and then the rest I think can be got by doing some online operations, though I don't know exactly which ones. I thought that you would have had to acquire all the collectibles, like all Research Data and the subsequent skills that come from it, and that would have been hard as some of the data and research points are very difficult to get, but you don't need these.

Games like Watch_Dogs and GTA are my favourite types so I always enjoy 100%'ing them :). If you're going for it yourself, I'd say complete all the main and side missions that are listed in the in-game DedSec App, and then if the percentage is below 100 on the Ubisoft app, you could do a little searching online to see exactly what else is needed, it won't be much anyway. One tricky thing is locating all of the side missions, because some of them only appear on the map when you are close to them, my advice is to check a list of them online to make sure you have located them all, and if not, you can follow their directions to make them appear.

01/01 - Sara is Missing (Android)
    02/01 - Monument Valley (Android)
    02/01 - The End of the World (Android)
    02/01 - Threes! (Android)
    07/01 - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
    08/01 - Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4)
    10/01 - Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores DLC (Android)
    12/01 - Forgotten (itch)
    12/01 - Commute (itch)
    14/01 - Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (Steam)
    14/01 - Monument Valley: Ida's Dream DLC (Android)
    15/01 - Hidden my game by mom (Android)
    15/01 - Longest Night (itch)
    16/01 - and i made sure to hold your head sideways (itch)
    17/01 - Kentucky Route Zero: Act II (Steam)
    19/01 - We Become What We Behold (itch)
    21/01 - Coming Out Simulator (itch)
    22/01 - Portal 2 (Steam)
    24/01 - Hidden my game by mom! 2 (Android)
    25/01 - Rain in the Month of January (itch)
    25/01 - Nest (Mac)
    27/01 - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth (PS4)

28/01 - Kentucky Route Zero: Act III (Steam)

Everything that I adored so much about the first two acts is still present but I simply couldn't keep up with the story this time. It became quite frustrating toward the end. Cleary this is a game that's more about mood and style than narrative and characters, however that approach doesn't work as well if you're being asked to read page after page of text. The conversation choices and meandering story want to maintain your interest, yet every other aspect of the game is indifferent to whether or not you know what's happening. That is exactly how I feel about some of David Lynch's films so in that respect they've absolutely nailed his influence. I'm just not sure if that's always a good thing. The first two acts struck a much better balance in that regard. But it's still a rich and all-enveloping piece of work. The minimal use of sound is second to none and the colour, composition and negative space combine into an extraordinary looking whole.

28/01 - The Serpent Cycle (Mac)

This is another product of the Global Game Jam 2017 that featured on Kill Screen's website during the week. I don't usually get hung up on whether or not something is a 'game'. If it's on a computer/console, has artistic or aesthetic value and is interactive then that's pretty much all I need. However I have to admit I would not like to see creations like this appearing on Steam or PSN in huge numbers. They'd be skinned alive or, even worse, ignored. Thankfully itch.io is there to offer them some sort of platform and remuneration. I enjoy them but they're only tangentially related to videogames. It's an indie scene within the indie scene. Still though, The Serpent Cycle is a unique looking 'thing' and I can't help but wonder if/how it could evolve into a more goal-orientated experience. For now it's yet another interesting little curio from the underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition:- I had a ton of fun playing this from start to finish. The puzzles really put your brain to work in most cases and the action is just superb. Great hack n' slasher with a good bit of depth to it. The story is, for the most part, forgettable. But with a game like this you'd forgive it.
    Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition:- Just when I thought the predecessor was fun, this one takes the cake. This is how a sequel should be done - genuine improvements and new features. While the first game did give you the ability to buy upgrades for your items, the follow-up is a full-blown RPG that lets you gain XP/level up, obtain loot that is characterised by rarity (a formula typical to that of a Blizzard title). The story and voice acting is improved a good bit and I love the choice of actor they had for the main character - he just fits. All in all a wonderful and satisfying successor and a hell of a lot bigger than the previous game. Couldn't put the game down.

Adding-
    Valkyria Chronicles [PS4]:- Overlooked gem of a game. I would warrant a guess that this game would tickle the fancy of those who like the XCOM series. I found it to be pretty similar in the way you micromanage everything. Absolutely loved the art style of this game - 3D-rendered anime with pencil sketched colour-schemes - I loved looking at this game as well as playing it. The story was pretty decent. I found myself getting pretty attached to a few of the characters throughout, and since there is permadeath in this game if you're not careful, I remember shouting "No!!" when I f**ked up and got one of my characters killed. I stuck to the role-playing aspect and didn't reload, I kept playing and replaced him with someone else. I love when games have this mechanic. This game is also the definitive edition with all the DLC included and the fps has been increased to 60fps if that's your thing. All in all a fine game and recommended. Took me about 30 hours to complete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1

Battletoads Arcade - Xbox 1

Advertisement