Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you completed? (2017 Edition)

Options
  • 31-12-2016 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Exactly what it says in the title. Post any games you complete in 2017, and please give a brief review.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My Final 2016 Completion List
    PS4
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Trials Fusion
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Firewatch
    Trials of the Blood Dragon
    Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    Warriors Orochi 3
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Batman: Arkham Knight
    Final Fantasy XV
    The Last Guardian

Xbox One
    Fallout 4
    Fallout 4: Automatron DLC
    Inside

Xbox 360
    The Revenge of Shinobi (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Streets of Rage (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Streets of Rage 2 (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Streets of Rage 3 (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Golden Axe (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Golden Axe 2 (SEGA Vintage Collection)
    Golden Axe 3 (SEGA Vintage Collection)

PC
    Final Fantasy IX

SEGA Mega Drive
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Flashback

And I'm kicking 2017 off by adding Darksiders: Warmastered Edition [PS4].

I had a ton of fun playing this from start to finish. The puzzles really put your brain to work in most cases and the action is just superb. Great hack n' slasher with a good bit of depth to it. The story is, for the most part, forgettable. But with a game like this you'd forgive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

The Last Guardian [PS4] - Wow! if I had finished this 25 hrs earlier it would have been a serious contender for my personal best game of 2016, but alas I didn't make it in time. Trico's design and AI was really good, it felt as though you were bonding with a real life pet. My biggest grievance with the game was the controls, I found the constant wrestling with the thumb stick exhausting after a while, so much so that I had to take the game in small doses. Overall I was really happy I played this, well worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

First game I've completed this year is Volume (PC). I enjoyed it quite a bit, though there wasn't really any difficulty going through the 100 levels. I didn't know much about it going in, it reminded me a lot of the VR missions in the original MGS which is what the developer was going for. I liked the way it wasn't immediately game over when spotted (like some other stealth games), plus the generous checkpointing made progression easy.

I've two achievements to get for 100%, but they're both quite grindy and time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dying Light The Following.

Ending was a bit meh, brilliant brilliant DLC tho.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PS4:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - I hadn't played a COD game in a long time and was given this as a gift over Christmas. I enjoyed it for what it was but the story mode is way too short and I felt compelled to do the side missions but even then they were incredibly repetitive.

I don't really partake in multiplayer so I felt bit short changed with it in truth. Definitely some fun sequences but nothing really to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

PC
    Shovel Knight Very good, I was never a big platformer or 2d platformer guy for that matter, never owned a SNES/NES.
    I love the soundtrack, story is good too for what it is. Controls very well

SuperHot Friend gifted it to me, quite short, the concept is great. I'd love to try it on VR...I hear it's amazing on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 monsterhunter

Fire Emblem - Conquest (3DS)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just beat My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

• Advertisement

3DS

Japanese Rail Simulator 3D: My god do I throw away money like nobody's business. €15... Yes TG you idiot. Let that sink in for a minute. Fifteen of your hard earned euros on this piece of garbage.

It's addictive but pure crap. It's like being a LUAS driver in Japan. Just... No. No no no no.

2017 Completed Games to Date.

PS4
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

3DS
    Japanese Rail Simulator 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Started 2016 well, and completed a few games before descending back into multiplayer binges of Halo and Rocket League, so hopefully 2017 can be more like early 2016.

First game is...

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China. Free game with gold. Hadn't got much interest in it when I downloaded it but my son picked up the trilogy for his PS Vita and I had been dipping in and out of it every time he got stuck. Nothing groundbreaking but addictive in trying to achieve the gold shadow ranking for each stage. Also reminded me a bit of old Prince of Persia games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare. Best Call of Duty campaign for me since Modern Warfare 2 and the original Black Ops. I thought the franchise had struggled a bit recently on the campaign front - unlike most people the MP side of COD isn't that appealing to me anymore and hasn't been for a long time, but I really enjoyed the IW campaign.

I also tried playing Black Ops 3 afterwards, which now has the honor of being the only COD campaign I've been unable to finish, I cannot fathom how Treyarch **** the bed so badly with the absolutely dreadful BO3 campaign when the other two games are so strong. Not just the worst COD campaign ever, but one of the worst AAA FPS campaign's I've played in the last 10 years.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

Adding:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU) -
    After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

First 2 games of 2017 completed. Both on Xbox one.

Batman (Telltale) - I thought it was alright but think I'm done with Telltale games. The formula is just old at this stage. If it wasn't Batman I wouldn't have bought it. Couldn't believe who the main villain was as well. A bit ridiculous to be honest. 7\10

Assassins creed: Black flag - I was hearing great things about this and had it as a free games with gold game. I only played the main campaign and it bored me to be honest. I was sick of doing those missions where you have to tail your target + eavesdrop on them before killing them. Wasn't a big fan of the ship battles either. 6\10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC)

+1 on everything you said but I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

First game of finish this year is COD:Infinite Warfare

First 2 games of 2017 completed. Both on Xbox one.

Batman (Telltale) - I thought it was alright but think I'm done with Telltale games. The formula is just old at this stage. If it wasn't Batman I wouldn't have bought it. Couldn't believe who the main villain was as well. A bit ridiculous to be honest. 7\10

Assassins creed: Black flag - I was hearing great things about this and had it as a free games with gold game. I only played the main campaign and it bored me to be honest. I was sick of doing those missions where you have to tail your target + eavesdrop on them before killing them. Wasn't a big fan of the ship battles either. 6\10

Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox one BC) - I have vague memories of playing this as a kid but this was my first proper play through. It was ok for the most part but the zone with the water was very annoying. Also as a big Mario fan this is so inferior to the Mario games at the time (Super Mario Bros 1 - 3 and Mario World). I can't believe some people would choose Sonic over Mario and have played both. 6\10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tomb Raider Underworld (PC) : I remember enjoying this on the Xbox 360 in 2009... this time, not so much. I think it might be down to the 2013 reboot, Underworld just felt a little clumsy. The number of time I died due to physics or controls really annoyed me. I played Tomb Raider II this time last year and it didn't bother me as much.

Gears of War 4 - Xbox One

Very solid addition to the franchise. Felt the ending was pretty abrupt but obviously there's more to be added to this next series. Enjoyed the new characters and the throwbacks to the original trilogy

The cover system still irks me somewhat in Gears. The mechanics are hit and miss. Tapping A to move into cover and I end up doing a tumble forward when I'm on the verge of dying caused a few moments of frustration throughout.

Definitely surpassed my expectations anyway.

----

2017 Completed Games to Date:

PS4

3DS

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition [PS4]:- I had a ton of fun playing this from start to finish. The puzzles really put your brain to work in most cases and the action is just superb. Great hack n' slasher with a good bit of depth to it. The story is, for the most part, forgettable. But with a game like this you'd forgive it.

Adding-
    Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition [PS4]:- Just when I thought the predecessor was fun, this one takes the cake. This is how a sequel should be done - genuine improvements and new features. While the first game did give you the ability to buy upgrades for your items, the follow-up is a full-blown RPG that lets you gain XP/level up, obtain loot that is characterised by rarity (a formula typical to that of a Blizzard title). The story and voice acting is improved a good bit and I love the choice of actor they had for the main character - he just fits. All in all a wonderful and satisfying successor and a hell of a lot bigger than the previous game. Couldn't put the game down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wolfenstein - The New Order (PC)
    completed this 2 years ago on the ps4, bought it again this Christmas on the Steam sale. Plays even better on the pc, boss fights seemed much easier using keyboard and mouse compared to a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Dishonored (PC): Started it on the 360 a few years ago but finally sat down to go through it. Usually I get frustrated with with trying a stealth playthrough of a game but really enjoyed this. Was only playing on medium so it was pretty forgiving but I was happy with that. Love the style of the game and the story was decent as well. Looking forward to get stuck into the 2nd one now!

Firewatch (PC): Wanted a nice relaxing game for the weekend and Firewatch was definitely that. Finished it in about 3 1/2 hours over two sittings. Really enjoyed the first two hours of it but thought the end was a little rushed. To be fair, I was fairly powering through it but I thought the climax was a bit forgettable. Still liked it overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

I've just completed Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin and the 3 DLC on the PS4 and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it even though at times I wanted to put my foot through the TV especially during the DLC. It goes on sale quite often so it's definitely one to look out for.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU) -
    After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

Adding:

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - Another incredible installment in the greatest action-adventure video game series ever. As cinematic as its predecessors, the set-pieces are bigger and better than 1 and 2, and the score is absolutely brilliant. The game isn't perfect, with quite a few (small) glitches (the cover system lets the game down as it did with its predecessor), but the experience makes up for all that. I'm looking forward to playing the fourth and final installment, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the wonderful characters Naughty Dog have created. A great game. 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Two games to start off my 2017 list:

PC

Oxenfree: 2D puzzle-adventure game. Nice graphics but what set this apart is the story, acting and certain gameplay elements (radios). Liked it a lot but not much replay value I think.
    Broforce: Awesome pixel-art homage to the 80s hero movie genre! Finished the campaign solo and have played a few co-op games with randomersin the meantime. Will keep going back to this one!

Mass Effect - Xbox 360

I had played a bit of Mass Effect before but I accidentally deleted my saved game on my 360 many moons ago. In anticipation for the latest ME game, I decided to try my hand at 1-3 before it comes out.

All on EA Access so handy enough to do.

I really enjoyed the story and found it really well written. Good solid characters but the game itself plays horribly.

I poured the guts of 11 hours into it and it felt like a chore to get through at times. The combat system is crap. The controls are muck. The cover system is just a complete disaster and it just does not function well at all.

It's fortunate that the story is so good and engaging otherwise I may not have bothered with the next 2 in the series. That being said, I have been informed that it plays better from here on out so I'll get stuck into ME:2 over the weekend.
    ----

2017 Completed Games to Date:

PS4

3DS

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Uncharted 4 - I found it a big improvement over 3. The shooting galleries felt less like shooting galleries. Dying when taking on so many bad guys didn't make you kill them all again, once you reached certain points.
    Overall I really liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Medal of Honor Heros (Psp). Nice little time waster 15 x 10-15 minute levels. Graphics and sound are decent but enemies are little more than bullet sponges. Real pity online seems to have been shut down.

But Jesus is a proper grenade warning symbol needed. Lost account of how many times it got me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Managed to finish a few games in the first couple of weeks of this new year.

Owlboy: Quite an enjoyable game. Absolutely beautiful pixel art but I did feel it was overrated a bit. Kind of wish I'd waited longer to pick it up for cheaper. I think a 50% off in a sale would be a price I'd have been happier to pay for it.

Inside: I really enjoyed this one. Like a more atmospheric Limbo. Kind of wished I'd waited to pick it up cheaper as its quite short. However the length of it feels about right without it overstaying its welcome and I feel less regret about buying this one when I did.

Deponia: The Complete Journey : This has the original 3 Deponia games and I quite enjoyed them. Pretty standard point and click game but the characters and humour set it apart and make it worthwhile.

Deponia Doomsday: This one follows of from the original trilogy and is kind of a comment on the ending of the those games. It introduces time travel to the story but predictably the story gets quite messy. Not as good as the original games and only worth it if you really enjoyed those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

01/01 - Sara is Missing (Android)
    02/01 - Monument Valley (Android)
    02/01 - The End of the World (Android)
    02/01 - Threes! (Android)
    07/01 - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
    08/01 - Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4)
    10/01 - Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores DLC (Android)
    12/01 - Forgotten (itch)
    12/01 - Commute (itch)
    14/01 - Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (Steam)
    14/01 - Monument Valley: Ida's Dream DLC (Android)
    15/01 - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)

15/01 - Longest Night (itch)

Night in the Woods is an upcoming adventure game for PC/Mac/PS4. I first heard about it a few weeks ago but it's been in development for a number of years. It has a bit of a buzz around it and looks set to be one of this year's indie hits. I was reading up on it earlier and to my absolute delight I learned that two 'supplemental games' have already been released for free on itch. The press blurb makes it clear that they're not just demos and are canon. Longest Night is the first. It's a charming little thing. Not much gameplay as such but it does a good job of introducing the characters and the lighthearted, and occasionally highbrow, tone the developers are aiming for.

Advertisement