Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice Bag

Options
  • 29-12-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

I'm home for Christmas and had never had one of these yokes in my life. What a revelation! Honestly one of the tastiest munches I've had in years, in fairness I was after around 12 pints of Murphy's so probably would have been happy with Pedigree Chum but still. Are these a recent invention or what's the story? Also what do they put on them, I assume they drown it in MSG?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

That like a modern spice burger? Never heard of them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Winterlong wrote: »
    That like a modern spice burger? Never heard of them to be honest.

No. you get them in Chinese places. Salt and chilli chicken and chips in a bag. Lovely to be honest. Most place throw a bit of onion and peppers etc in there too. Usually about €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nah it's chips, fried chicken bits, stir fried veg and a rake of dry spice-chilli powder type stuff in a box. Pure dacent. It's my last night in Ireland and I'm tempted to go and get another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pedigree Chum would be a good pairing for Murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Can't say I've ever had one.

They seem exclusive to Dublin.

Ye can keep them my jackeen friends.They sound sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've only ever heard of'em. Never had any. Been around a while, sounds like more of a big deal than they are really. Spicy food out of a bag? Gee...

I had one in Passage West in Cork and your man in the place said people are selling the family silver for spice bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm home for Christmas and had never had one of these yokes in my life. What a revelation! Honestly one of the tastiest munches I've had in years, in fairness I was after around 12 pints of Murphy's so probably would have been happy with Pedigree Chum but still. Are these a recent invention or what's the story? Also what do they put on them, I assume they drown it in MSG?

Murphy's? What's wrong with you?

They are not exclusive to anywhere. But I've never seen them on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Spice bag = spice box = Salt and Chilli Chicken with chips and / or curry sauce. (Some places chuck in chicken wings and chicken balls).

Good with drink.

Tastes like licking out a chung wan with blue waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Only place I've had one is Sligo. Dubs can't take the blame for this..

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nah it's chips, fried chicken bits, stir fried veg and a rake of dry spice-chilli powder type stuff in a box. Pure dacent. It's my last night in Ireland and I'm tempted to go and get another one.

Only ever seen it mentioned on boards, hadn't a clue what it was. I figured it was some slang for drugs.

Well. That's me told.

You simply can't beat a filthy munch. I'm pondering a chips cheese and garlic now for the tea tonight. I want to make sure I get all the Irish culinary classics before I head away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Only place I've had one is Sligo. Dubs can't take the blame for this..

Blame the Chinese I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Are yiz all living under a rock or wha'?! Bloody spicebag was voted the no.1 best-selling item in takeaways last year!

You have chips, chicken, peppers, chillies, onions and scallions all seasoned in garlic and chilli salt and it's lovely.

Except my local Chinese uses horrible spongey chicken so I tend to go to a Chinese fifteen mins away for a nice one.

PS I am a Jackeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

fussyonion wrote: »
    PS I am a Jackeen.

Huh? Whats that, some sort of hipster Tranny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're nice but some places totally overdo it on the chili salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not that i eat many of them but i find there not as nice as they where when first got popular cause everywhere is doing them now.

The best one was the original one in Sunflower off Tempelogue there. Had one in theres years ago randomly one night. Was nice and spicy and had nice mixture of chicken chips and spices. Didnt just taste like salt as they do now.

The spice boxs are a total waste because the quality is normally even worse and theres WAY to much salt!.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Forget your spice bags, what you're really after is a Spicy Box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Really nice if done right. They are just a bastardisation of the dish known as salt and chilli chicken, which if done right is fooking awesome!

Anyway, the best ones will have onion, peppers, not too much chilli salt and actual chicken rather than pieces of fried cornflour.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

fussyonion wrote: »
    Are yiz all living under a rock or wha'?! Bloody spicebag was voted the no.1 best-selling item in takeaways last year!

PS I am a Jackeen.

The lies out of you Jackeen. I just had a look on just eat and there's no mention of this. It's up there with the deep fried Mars bar myth and fairies. None of them exist. Just the figment of a drunks imagination.

Estrellita wrote: »
    The lies out of you Jackeen. I just had a look on just eat and there's no mention of this. It's up there with the deep fried Mars bar myth and fairies. None of them exist. Just the figment of a drunks imagination.

Deep fried mars bars are pure daaaaaycent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Estrellita wrote: »

No really. The Spice Bag was voted the best selling takeaway food by Just Eat customers in 2015.

Check out the street food shop in Quay St in Galway; they do a mean spice box with chicken wings, incredible spicy chips, onion rings, salt and pepper chicken, rice and curry sauce- one portion is enough for 2-3 people.

Spice bags are lovely if done right. A badly spiced bag, however, is a massive disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If anybody thinks a spice bag/box is anything except leftovers fcuked into a bag from days gone by then they're highly diluded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sounds manky and philistine

/gets on blower immediately to local chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If anybody thinks a spice bag/box is anything except leftovers fcuked into a bag from days gone by then they're highly diluded

No, most people think it's a three-course Michelin Star meal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We're out in the sticks and the local(ish) chinese has the spicy bag. So it isn't just in Dublin.

I like it to an extent but becomes too salty for me after a 1/4 of the bag. The seasoning/MSG stuff gets a bit too much for me after that.

Probably decent hungover grub but you wouldn't want to be eating it too often.

After 12 pints of Murphys as someone else said, it's probably fab. But so would a big dirty kebab.

I'd still prefer a half decent curry

Advertisement