Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

How soon could you sell a ewe that lost lambs in the mart? Can they go straight away or is there any rules/regulations about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

I wouldn't think any rules against it. Once she wasin good health and over any withdrawal periods if got anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

No restrictions as far as I know. saw a ewe for sale in the mart recently and the auctioneer announced that she was suitable as a foster ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Any word on the Nematodirus forecast this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dipped sheep 5 weeks ago. Noticed a couple today scratching their stomachs with their back foot. Considering the amount of scab around im probably paranoid but what would you guys think?. None biting at themselves or going nuts at trees etc but just always a worry at the moment?

• Advertisement

A fella rang me today looking to know did I want a field to put a catch crop in for the summer. He says he won't get barley in it but will want to sow something in it at the end of August.

He kinda caught me off gaurd as bit of a strange request.

What would people suggest I put in this. It's on stubble at the moment with only a few tough of grass throughout it. About 12 acres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Jimbo789

It will be hard to get the full value out of any crop if you have to be finished grazing it by August.
    Something like Skyfall would give 3 grazings when sown early but you are only likely to get 2 grazings by end of August.

Thanks for the replies.

Had a lanark ewe scanned for 2 lambed today.

Had to take the lamb as horns were getting caught.

TThe Second lamb never developed inside her. It must have died soon after scanning. It was tiny and just a wee blob. Only I could feel the head/mouth I would have been afraid to pull it out.

Lambing outside in very dry fields. But this weather is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

did anyone hear about the new sheep improvement scheme open yet ? The extra 8 euro a ewe . Thought it was to open in early April but got noting yet ??anyone else here anything??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I just heard that they're proposing two extra tasks, dipping and shearing.

I thought it was going to be a top up but seemingly not, no harm to make dipping compulsory again, country is full of scab and everyone overusing ivomec to controlscab will leave Ivomec useless for worms and probably scab as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Dipping,should be included .When it was compulsory previously the inspectors rarely called on the dipping day.Normally came at a later date to collect the money A real cash cow for co. Councils

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/peak-nematodirus-egg-hatching-in-early-april-for-northern-areas/

4 tasks with the choice of 2 according to agriland.ie with the tasks being shearing, plunge dipping, body condition scoring and clostridial vaccination. Easy money as these are things that should be happening on every farm regardless of a scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Country lad

did anybody receive the booklet from department for to fill in the tasks they do like scanning as it usually comes the end of febuary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It should be along shortly with the new top up included

How's lambing going for everyone.

2 thirds of the way through it here, and the feet are walked off me.

Mortality is going at 10% 163 lambs on the ground with 16 dead so far. Lambing outside so hard to keep on top of things all the time, but considering the weather I'd be happy enough the way things are going.

Different reasons for fatalities and nothing really stands out except for that 1 small underdeveloped lamb I took as 1 of a pair.

4 others scanned for double when I got to them only had 1 lamb. I put it down to the fox being up earlier than me but maybe it was the same problem.

Lost 1 to a grey crow this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

2/3 here aswell. First day in a while I could get ewes out yo grass. Has freed up pens and emptied the shed a bit so physiologically it makes it better. Similar, about 8-10% mortality rate. Finding allot of doubles are coming as one big lamb and one small weak lamb.
    fecking wrecked from it along with day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Found a cold twin lamb in the field yesterday morning and brought him in, mother has mastitis on one side so that’s the issue there.

another ewe lost a lamb so I skinned him and the ewe took the foster lamb fine.

my problem now is the foster lamb has zero interest in sucking….he’s evening drinking water from a bucket but makes no attempt to suck.

has anyone got any tips to get him going or any explanation as to why he has lost all interest to suck….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pg141

Hi lads,

Think it was in this thread someone was looking for the stuff that you put on lambs to keep foxes away, Is it this crowd Orl Den, hope this helps

https://www.orldenlivestockproducts.com/browse/cat1004368_2783323.aspx

i honestly think the dipping should be compulsary now. The amount of scab around is serious.

Agree 100%, got a right roasting last year buying in ewes that brought scab with them and ewes that lost wool look desperate bad, I know it's a long way away yet can't wait to ge them sheared to tidy them up and have them looking right again. The amount of sheep passing through marts with it is crazy.

Had the same issue. Bought sheep as increased land etc. Took me a year and a fair few quid to hopefully get rid of it.

Hoping to put in my own dipping tank this year if the funds allow (wedding to pay for)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

The big problem with the compulsory dipping would be who will police it. Receipts for dip means nothing. These can easily be forged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

can't seem to find this new sheep welfare scheme on the portal - has anyone similar issues

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pg141

Hi guys, quick question, I am currently applying for my flock number, do I need to have my flock number in order to buy sheep, have seen a few deals and want to act on them but unsure if I can if I don't have the ID yet

Also it is the ED1 form, everything in that is talking about herds and cattle?

Thanks

yeah i found it last night. I think you need to click scheme expressions of interest. Was a dose to find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Advertisement