Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Arrived home from work to discover some f*#ckers around with about 20 hounds..didn't go into field they said but ewes are in a very tight cluster panting not grazing..some due to lamb in a week..could that bring them on to lamb early? Nothing I can do I assume... was aiming to have them in from Wednesday night..small numbers so I leave them out in small paddock beside house during the day. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many ewes approximately would you feed on 13 acres of catch Crop in a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

What kill out % would lambs that had access to ab lib meal for 6 to 7 weeks kill out at ? Would they reach 46 n 47 % ? Dorset and llynn x lambs . All weather and ewe lambs ? Coming on now flesh wise but still another 2 weeks to go I’d say .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I send mine at 47kg lw to hit 23kg dw when on ad lib over a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Very hard to answer… I have only been doing it a few years, and it all depends on how Oct and Nov come.

You could sow the same date, two years in a row and have a great crop one year and nothing the next year…

Put in about 5-6 acres this year. Wasn’t a great crop. Has kept 75 lambs ticking for most of the winter, but they have a grass run back too…

Did they kill out at 23 kilo ? That was good going at that live weight to reach that dead weight. The dorsets are doing well for me but it’ll be another year till if I can tell you if there a good sheep or not . We had a Dorset ram first back in 2014 and kept a lot of ewe lambs off him which turned out to be great ewes and were prolific. But they all have terrible problems for the hoofs growing too long . But that was the gene from the first ram . Bought two new lads there from new bloodlines in 2020 and they have no feet issues but only have dry ewe lambs off them at present so can’t say much bout there daughters yet .. but from a terminal side they seem to be doing the job . But still to early to tell . Need another year .

That was the first few i brought to the factory from the shed. They were in the shed on 16/10 and brought to the factory on 28/11 so 43 days on ad lib meal and killed out at an average of 47.89% of live weight. Im not far from Kildare chilling so weighed every saturday after that and brought anything 47kg or over to the factory on the Monday. I would have considered them maternal lambs so interested in how a more paternal breed would do. Have a dorset put on the ewes this year so will do the same exercise next year.

thats a fair chart you have done ! But good to see anything at 45 kilo with desent flesh need to go !

Id be interested in how your dorset x kill out as that's what ill be going to the factory with next year. they seem to be a very heavy boned sheep so may need to be drafted heavier?.

I created that chart and uploaded to google sheets so that i can input the weights on my phone when weighing them and then see what sort of gain etc they have been achieving. Happy to send it on to anyone who wants it.

Have one runt left that just wont gain weight. a triplet pet from last year that was reared on a bottle. The missus wants me to get him vasectomised and keep him as a teaser. Anyone know if that's expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Kev, It's been a couple of years now since I got one vasectomised but it was around £60 then. The vet that does it takes about 5/6 Dorset lambs off me every year to vasectomise and sell on to customers. It might be dearer now because the practice has been taken over by one of these large English Vet firms that come in and stick their prices up.

I bled six ewes myself in October to get blood samples analysed for trace elements before tupping time. I left the bloods into the vets to send off to the lab and only got the selenium results back as they said they had no iodine results. Wasn't happy as I'd asked for it, but the selenium levels were low so I did them with a bolus for both S&I. Got the bill in before Xmas for £147 for lab fees for the six samples. Thought No way is that right, spoke to one of the vets when he was out doing our Tb test and he said that would be correct. I said that I never got the Iodine results and wouldn't be paying for it, so he said because I took the samples myself, none of the Vets really took ownership of the submission to the lab or following up with me, which would have been the case if one of the vets had taken the samples. I dread to think how much the six samples would have cost me if I'd paid the vet to come out and bleed them.

It cost me less to bolus the 200 ewes than it did to pay the vets and lab fees for six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hi there, new to this and was wondering what some of you think. Basically have 48kg horn ram lambs on adlib 8 weeks +, brought a small batch of them that got to 48kg 4 weeks ago to ballyhaunis. Killed out great about 45-46% averaging 22kg dead weight. Sent the rest of them to ICM Navan today extremely disappointed in fact cant believe it. The were averaging roughly the same 48kg as first batch, even handled better as longer on adlib and killed out only 20.2kg or 42%. They were all in the same pen eating the same nuts and weigher at home is digital and 99% accurate. Was I shafted by them? is there anything I can do bar never send lambs there again?

Only way to ensure you are happy with the price is to go to the mart as you cant take a dead lamb back. I was fairly dissapointed with my first batch that went to KC off grass but have found the ones on meal were consistent after that so i think my weights have been fairly correct. If you weighed them with full stomachs this time and empty the time before it can cause a difference. Did you get deducted for being overwight?

Yeah I always go off empty weight, No penalties whatsoever. In fact the heaviest lamb was 52.5kg and only came into 21.7. His comrade was 53kg and came into 24kg in ballyhaunis. These are all indoor ad lib fed. What is really killing me is how come the same bunch of lambs in the same pen in the same shed fed the same meal have such different kill out percentages and the only main difference was the different factory they were brought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

vwey annoying. And would t be surprised with factory Carey on.

had 2 ewes cast with my own of last lambs. Were mud fat and on ad-lib meal. Were classified as Hoggets and paid at that rate but only at 23kgs.

jusy goes to show what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Would you have been better off at the higher price to 23 than the ewe price up to 40kg is it?

Yea was probably a few euro better off but my point was more on how they can link an Eid tag to a carcass abs only pay to 23 when they were probably closer to 40kg.

obviously sold the meat on as lamb rather than old ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

How did they grade, were they all fatscore 3 or 4

• Advertisement

haven't got the full docket yet he just gave me the kill out weights over the phone, docket from dawn all were R3 no fat score wrote on it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

R3 = grade was R and fat score was 3.

R3 is ideal grade and fat score.

Post edited by White Clover on

3.30 to 40 kg

If some were fat score 2 it'd be a reason for low KO. I've sold thousands of lambs to ICM Camolin and never a problem with weights.

Lambs on similar management and similar fatscore should KO the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

I agree there. I always found meal fed lambs killed out very consistent.

@Jonnyc135 did you account for the weight of the balls when you were live weighing them? There could be 2kg in them.

I must account for the same when weighing myself after a heavy christmas on the quality street lol

@White Clover, Wouldnt usually account for balls would just leave empty from and weigh in morning maybe 2-3 days before sending to get a true weight (they would go back on ad lib then till they collected). Honest gut feeling is it was my first time ever sending to this place and they just done me as a decent price was got when compared to their base quote and they just wanted cheaper lambs and docked the carcass weights. Sounds illegal but usually these places do what they like. These lambs were eating tonnes of meal and gaining close to 2kg a week, good thriving lambs dont know why there is such a discrepancy when compared to the earlier sold batch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i had a ewe put out her loo today and when i eventually managed to get het up to yard and got disenfactant , and harness ready , the moment i started to gently push it back in all her guts came out as she pushed against me. she kept pushing out against me as i tried to push it in. anyone ever encounter this much before? needless to say nothing could be done for her

• Advertisement

Yes, mainly texels, they're able to do that without you even interfering so it was nothing to do with anything you did

Advertisement