Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    Same as that sheared here on june 1st and had maggots last week.

Cant get them dipped for another forthnight, what would ye do ?

Do you chance them or knapsack them or what.....click would be an option but they need a dip as they are scracthing.

I often used the tractor power washer at low revs..... at least you won't be carrying it on your back.
    You need to cover/mask up well as there can be a fair mist out of it.
    Dipping will only last a few weeks for maggots either but if they're scratching they may be dipped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I use the knapsack on ours every few weeks after shearing. Find it handy to run them through the crush and do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I use the knapsack on ours every few weeks after shearing. Find it handy to run them through the crush and do that.

are you putting much on them like roughly how many sheep are you getting out of a standard 16 liter knapsack

I've done the knapsack routine, but, is partially dipping sheep asking for another resistance issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

roosky wrote: »
    are you putting much on them like roughly how many sheep are you getting out of a standard 16 liter knapsack

I do about 12ewes per knapsack. Mostly along their spine i soak them and then spray as much of them as i can. Not sure if this is the correct/most effective way of doing it but i dont have a dip tank so its the only way i can do it without getting a fella in with a sheep shower/mobile tank etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Think I might have the ‘honour’ of leaving the first post on the new ‘revamped’ site……not sure if I like the interface as it does now t seem to list your favourite forums like it used to beside your avatar in the top right hand corner of page.

Anyways back to the sheep…..I also came across several clipped ewes with maggot attacks the other day!!

Clipped around a month and all were clean….had to bring all in and look after those few and then for ease of mind went and got Clikzin and put it on the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Country lad

just being able to log back in today as for me power wash ewes a couple of times during the year i put 100 mls of dip in 110 litres of water and never have problem with maggots or scab plus give them injection as well in october

thinking of keeping a few ewe lambs for breeding what weight would they need to be when going to ram in october

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Depends on the breed I'd say..teagasc say 60pc of mature body weight..I personally would not like to put anything less than 50kg to a ram..I remember my father years ago breeding lovely speckled face ewe lambs that were mid forties kgs and it stunted their growth..had nice lambs but never really grew into big ewes.. maybe it was a management issue on our behalf but it changed my opinion anyway

• Advertisement

We use lleyns, mature ewes 70 kgs average and would be happy with 45kgs.

At 70kgs the mature ewes eat a lot less than a 90kg suffolk doing the same job

Pros and cons to everything I suppose.. smaller ewes are easier handled and possibly easier maintained but I reckon bigger longer ewes get lambs out the gate quicker..also selling breeding hoggets size does matter..

Back to the original question though I'm probably against breeding from ewe lambs in general so I'm probably not best placed to comment.. I know lots of people have great success breeding from ewe lambs but not for me.. people probably think I'm foolish leaving them idle for a year but each to their own.. I say go for whatever suits your own set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

usent they say if you breed ewe lambs there will have a higher chance of having a single the following year?

on about big ewes, people better start thinking of the shearers too!

put ram with a couple of ewe lambs last year turned out okay might do the same this year as usually around ten small ones and don.t put ram with them ontill following year ..i also always buy some hoggets every year for breeding but thinking of buying some 3 to 4 year old ewes this year as they might be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Put Clik on ewes today. Our brand is over tail so put on paint straight after. Now that the Clik is covered is it any good.

Only way i could make it work was to keep em as a seperate flock and maybe have to keep a small pick of meal into em,otherwise any rearing twins would go to rags and hard get em fit for breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

What dose are lads using for dirty lambs? Faecal samples showing 50 eggs/g of Nematodirus and 450 eggs/g of Trichostrongyle. Have been using Endospec but wondering if something else might be better...

Change to a clear( Ivermectin) dose and FEC test again in a fortnight after dosing if you want to change.

Cydectin, animec, oramec etc are good clear doses

Endospec is a white dose and white doses are losing its effectiveness on a lot of farms

Wormers work different on different farm depending on the amount of resistance, By FEC testing you'll find what does and doesn't work, no one tell you from a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Done it here

Ideally you want them 50+kg

Shear them around now (first dry day) and make sure they have lots to eat over the winter.

Give a vitamin drench before putting to a ram (ideally Charolais or vendeen for easy lambing)

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here let January born ram lambs off with many ewes at tupping time ? Thinking of running two ram lambs here in late October with another two mature rams in a group with 120 mature ewes . Good or bad idea ??

There's no reason not to, I found out that ram lambs and adults do fight so tighten them up in a trailer for twenty four hrs before letting them out with the ewes to be sure

Would two ram lambs be able for that much activity with that amount of ewes tho ? Don’t want loads of repeats when it comes to lambing . Obviously the two mature rams will tip a good few but I’d be worried about the younger lads burning out .

We'd use them here, but we'd always feed ram lambs well for a month or six weeks after working especially if they needed it, Give them up to .75g of meal/day after working. but either ways ram lambs would be fed .5kg day here through the winter until grass comes.

I'd say ram lambs don't burn out, the problem is that farmers don't feed them

Would you feed them pre mating tho or just on grass ?

They're usually in good condition when you buy them, If you thought they were being overfed you could feed them about .5kg aday just to wean them by degrees off the strong feeding they need to be in good condition if you're going to work them.

What are lads typically paying for ewe hoggets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Depends what you want to pay n where you are from. In my part of the country a decent hogget is 240ish stilish ones are 280 plus. I know if I bring mine to 'poorer' Marts I won't achieve their potential.

I bought some from a dealer nearby for €224. There nice(ish) looking Suffolk cross types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can anyone recommend a ptz 360 camera to use in a sheep shed for lambing? Looking at max €300 as a budget and to work off a SIM card router. Thanks

Advertisement