Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'm trying to order tags on line from mullinahone coop here today.. when I try to log in its saying my flock number does not exist.. I've got tags there before but physically went to mullinahone to order.. anyone else encounter this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

I'm trying to order tags on line from mullinahone coop here today.. when I try to log in its saying my flock number does not exist.. I've got tags there before but physically went to mullinahone to order.. anyone else encounter this?

I'd just go with Cormac Tagging.
    Next day delivery also in most cases if ordered early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Sami23 wrote: »

Might look into that thanks..always went to mullinahone because I live 15 minutes away..have an old tagger though and only fits their big eid sets which lambs are great at losing..might be time for an upgrade...judging by bought in lambs I like the look of the wrap around tags and dont seem to lose them..what do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

switched from mulinahone to Cormac a few years ago here..definitely say Cormac are better all round

Might look into that thanks..always went to mullinahone because I live 15 minutes away..have an old tagger though and only fits their big eid sets which lambs are great at losing..might be time for an upgrade...judging by bought in lambs I like the look of the wrap around tags and dont seem to lose them..what do others think?

Mullinahone are doing the wrap around tags now....but i went with shearwell personally as they were among 1st to bring em in....and i bought a ram off someone who used em and he gave me the number

I found the bigger tags were destroying sheeps ears,i wouldnt go back to em again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Mullinahone are doing the wrap around tags now....but i went with shearwell personally as they were among 1st to bring em in....and i bought a ram off someone who used em and he gave me the number

I found the bigger tags were destroying sheeps ears,i wouldnt go back to em again

Can you put wraparound tags into ewe lambs this year say that you intend to keep for breeding?

Can you put wraparound tags into ewe lambs this year say that you intend to keep for breeding?

Ya....i use em anyway....once its got the eid tag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have lambs who's clik withdrawl period will be up on next Wednesday, would it be OK to sell these lambs in the mart next Tuesday or would it be safer to wait until the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have lambs who's clik withdrawl period will be up on next Wednesday, would it be OK to sell these lambs in the mart next Tuesday or would it be safer to wait until the following week.

I'd send em.

Sell away

• Advertisement

Sell away

What would be the story if a factory agent bought these and when they were being killed traces of the product showed up

What would be the story if a factory agent bought these and when they were being killed traces of the product showed up

Have it announced at the mart, that's what our mart recommends. Can't swear to you whether that's the right thing to do or not but having a record of it would help in the event of problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

record treatment and withdrawl date on the reverse side of the movement form & announce at sale

Don't think one day will make any difference tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Don't think one day will make any difference tbh.

Trials have been done to show that sheep are safe in a lot less than 40 days from the application of CLIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Trials have been done to show that sheep are safe in a lot less than 40 days from the application of CLIK

The withdrawal always has a margin of safety built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

The Muslim festival eid is from July 9th to the 14th this year. When will they be most active buying for this festival or when would the best time to go with ram lambs be? To the mart I’m thinking of going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had maggots in a hogget this evening... Not cut.. I think I got her in time.. They were shorn on 5th June.. Was surprised

kk.man wrote: »
    Had maggots in a hogget this evening... Not cut.. I think I got her in time.. They were shorn on 5th June.. Was surprised

Yea, you'll only get about a months protectiion, if that, out of shearing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Got abit of mcpa sprayed recently. Said on leaflet to keep livestock out for 2 weeks afterwards, which I've done. Anyone know if theres any further restrictions on grazing sheep which are factory bound ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Country lad

never any problem here with mcpa 2 weeks is plenty of time for sheep to be off of land can see no reason would effect factory bound lambs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm getting problems with scalds between the hoof cleats atm, mostly in lambs. It's probably due to grazing longer grass. Any solutions apart from topping it which isn't really an option as it's rough ground a good distance away.

I'm getting problems with scalds between the hoof cleats atm, mostly in lambs. It's probably due to grazing longer grass. Any solutions apart from topping it which isn't really an option as it's rough ground a good distance away.

Regular footbathing is the best solution to lameness

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Country lad

i put hydrated lime around water troughts every few days as it should help

What age would ye wean a pet lamb? Started her on Lamlac June 12th, she was probably a month old at that stage. The young lad has a good interest in feeding her so there's no panic either, on the second bag of lamlac now drinking nearly 2 litres a day. She's eating pedigree creep as well but I haven't been measuring how much yet. She's a Charollais cross.

What age would ye wean a pet lamb? Started her on Lamlac June 12th, she was probably a month old at that stage. The young lad has a good interest in feeding her so there's no panic either, on the second bag of lamlac now drinking nearly 2 litres a day. She's eating pedigree creep as well but I haven't been measuring how much yet. She's a Charollais cross.

We wean at five weeks when they're eating half a pound of meal/day consistently,

At what age would it be best to replace a ram. Have 2 here now who are currently 5 Yr olds, both in good health and have all their teeth. Would I get another couple of years out of these or would I be better to replace before the breeding season?

At what age would it be best to replace a ram. Have 2 here now who are currently 5 Yr olds, both in good health and have all their teeth. Would I get another couple of years out of these or would I be better to replace before the breeding season?

Get em fertility tested?

Last year was 1st year i did it,and found it a comfort to know they were right after issues of sub-fertile and large number repeats

wrangler wrote: »
    We wean at five weeks when they're eating half a pound of meal/day consistently,

She has 500g for today, hopefully she won't spill it or fill with shavings and I can get an idea how much she's eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

kk.man wrote: »

Same as that sheared here on june 1st and had maggots last week.

Cant get them dipped for another forthnight, what would ye do ?

Do you chance them or knapsack them or what.....click would be an option but they need a dip as they are scracthing.

Advertisement