Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Munster Build Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Muldoon clearly made a meal of it. I posted it in this thread at the time. Went down like he was shot. He's a smart operator. If Connacht had won a penalty and 3 points from it, people would be lauding him for playing the referee and taking advantage of the opportunity. He didn't get a call so he can take it on the chin that he made a meal of it.

Complete balls up at the end. There will be some sort of dressing down behind the scenes, I'm sure. With that said, absolutely no difference would have been made to the result. The way they played regardless of how many opposition players were on the field suggests that Connacht could still be out there this morning trying to make a line break and failing.

They managed the game poorly and played directly into Munster's hands. Their style is exciting and entertaining but you cannot keep playing like that again and again regardless of the conditions. Given the depleted back line, they were screaming out for their halfbacks to send the ball long and find grass in the Munster 22 or hoist up some contestable kicks into the sky. I don't know why it wasn't looked at regularly particularly given the pace of their wingers for chasing.

Correct and deserved result. Connacht won't be dwelling on it nor should they as they've more to worry about right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Funny my reading of the Muldoon incident is that he was the dummy runner, ball is passed behind him.
    Saiili tackles him without the ball and leads with the shoulder in a no arms tackle and knocks Muldoon to the ground, can't see where you are getting a dive from.

Different ref/ TMo and you are looking at a pen and possibly a yc .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭OldRio

Awful officiating at the end of the match. No amount of whataboutery can disguise that fact.
    Hopefully some type of action will be taken.
    Will the pro 12 make a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

OldRio wrote: »
    Awful officiating at the end of the match. No amount of whataboutery can disguise that fact.
    Hopefully some type of action will be taken.
    Will the pro 12 make a statement?

Need to take a step back here.

First the 4th official isn't a Connacht employee, he's not paid to do that job.

We also don't know what was communicated to whom, was the ref told of the extra player ? Did he tell Cronin to leave the pitch ? Before we start throwing mud around the facts need to be sorted.

It's an intense time of the game , the 4th official has two Munster players in his ear, a Munster manager in his ear and he's trying to listen to the ref so he knows what's going on. He prob also had some Connacht officials in his ear at the same time.

There is also the lesser issue of the Munster player knowing that he should come off the pitch as well as the munster officials knowing that he should be off as well.

All that will come of this is that substitutes will not be allowed onto the pitch until the substituted player has actually left the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Shelflife wrote: »
    Funny my reading of the Muldoon incident is that he was the dummy runner, ball is passed behind him.
    Saiili tackles him without the ball and leads with the shoulder in a no arms tackle and knocks Muldoon to the ground, can't see where you are getting a dive from.

Different ref/ TMo and you are looking at a pen and possibly a yc .

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8743485
    There's absolutely no way thats a yellow card

There was no wrap because Saili pulls out of the tackle when he notices he doesn't have the ball, Muldoon dives backwards to try and make it look like he was charged and get a penalty or YC.

Very cynical play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

At 77:20 did bukley say, **** me.....they're some tough ****ers?

At 77:20 did bukley say, **** me.....they're some tough ****ers?

Truly in awe of the Munster men so he was...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Burr10 wrote: »
    Happens around 25:55 on the match clock. I can't link, but the match was posted in post 261.

IMO he clearly dives and then lies on the ground for a few seconds feigning injury to try and milk a penalty.

The wide angle of it happening in real time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpxJUAsbwY&t=51m52s

The replays were you see what happens
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpxJUAsbwY&t=53m0s

As Pat Kenny would say "Cheap Shot!, Cheap Shot!, Cheap Shot!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The wide angle of it happening in real time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpxJUAsbwY&t=51m52s

The replays were you see what happens
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpxJUAsbwY&t=53m0s

As Pat Kenny would say "Cheap Shot!, Cheap Shot!, Cheap Shot!!"

Clear shoulder charge. Yes he tried to pull out of it but he still connected. Penalty only.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Shelflife wrote: »
    Need to take a step back here.

First the 4th official isn't a Connacht employee, he's not paid to do that job.

We also don't know what was communicated to whom, was the ref told of the extra player ? Did he tell Cronin to leave the pitch ? Before we start throwing mud around the facts need to be sorted.

It's an intense time of the game , the 4th official has two Munster players in his ear, a Munster manager in his ear and he's trying to listen to the ref so he knows what's going on. He prob also had some Connacht officials in his ear at the same time.

There is also the lesser issue of the Munster player knowing that he should come off the pitch as well as the munster officials knowing that he should be off as well.

All that will come of this is that substitutes will not be allowed onto the pitch until the substituted player has actually left the pitch.

Cronin needn't necessarily have to leave the field of play after the sinbinning period. Normally, the sub front row player will return to the bench but not in all cases. Again, the manager requests permission from the 4th to allow a player (sin binned or otherwise) onto the field. If there's a swap then the 4th official will be notified of that too. The ref will notify the player on the field that they're being subbed.

Another poster said that Connacht officials were in the ear of the 4th official. It's easy to see how it happened so late in the game especially as another player was carded and the resulting penalty taken so quickly.

To clarify about the 4th Official - is he a Connacht Ref?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Gotta love the dying giraffe impression from Muldoon.

I don't mind the arm waving but yeah the lying on the ground is over the top. He got up very quickly once the ball is turned over. A warning like the one Pascal Pape received from EPCR wouldn't go amiss. This is the Pro12 though, so nothing will happen.

I hope there is an investigation into the mess at the end. That can't happen again. This is the Pro12 though, so nothing will happen.

You can bet they'll be a review of what happened, I wouldn't expect a statement like the recent EPCR one after the Connacht/Wasps game but they will be a comms to match officials and participating clubs.

This has easily been the bitterest thread of the seasonal interpos! Well done everyone on a fine effort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

And here was me thinking, on the way home from the game, that it was fairly uneventful in terms of incidents apart from the accidental and relatively inconsequential 4th official **** up at the end........ However boards rarely disappoints :-)

This has easily been the bitterest thread of the seasonal interpos! Well done everyone on a fine effort :D

I think bar possibly one poster there hasn't been anyone bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shelflife wrote:

He's a prop. They can't even count to 21 unless they're in the raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Clear shoulder charge. Yes he tried to pull out of it but he still connected. Penalty only.
    Really? He grabbed Muldoon's leg to dump him and then let go when he realised he hadn't got the ball. Clear me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Let's  talk about more important points. For example Connacht injuries vs Munster NIQ army :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

FACECUTTR wrote: »

he didn't try to pull out of it, he did pull out of it.

it was a dive from Muldoon.

it's these little things that should be punished as if you don't get a handle on diving now you never get a handle on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Watching the game, I was expecting Muldoon to get a yellow before the end. He was moaning to the ref all game and was very petulant throughout.

• Advertisement

For those of you with eirSport, the game is being shown there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

connachta wrote: »
    Let's  talk about more important points. For example Connacht injuries vs Munster NIQ army :D

Yeah, I think Muldoon broke every bone in his body - judging by how he 'fell' anyway. Will he be okay to act play in a fortnight?

Yeah, I think Muldoon broke every bone in his body - judging by how he 'fell' anyway. Will he be okay to act play in a fortnight?
    I'll be more concern about our centres. Maybe we can poach one, no, two NIQs. And a lock! And a prop. And... Shopping is free on Debt card!
    Oh no sorry, this rule it's for munster "covers" only, and no limit of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'll be more concern about our centres. Maybe we can poach one, no, two NIQs. And a lock! And a prop. And... Shopping is free on Debt card!

How many NIEs do Connacht have at the moment? How many of their team that played Munster were homegrown?

Its a bit rich for Connacht supporters to complain about rules that don't even apply to them because they needed significantly more NIEs than the other provinces to attempt being competitive.

they needed significantly more as many NIEs as any other provinces except Munster who have more to attempt  succeed at being competitive as they are Champions.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

How many NIEs do Connacht have at the moment? How many of their team that played Munster were homegrown?

This whole thread has gotten rather silly, but to answer your question it was 13/23 :
    Buckley, Bealham, Muldoon, Marmion, Carty, Robb, Parata and O'Halloran from first XV all graduated from Connacht Academy
    Heffernan, JP Cooney, O'Brien, Blade and Gaffney on the bench did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Seriously sore winner syndrome happening in this thread... It's gone beyond petty and into pathetic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

Its a bit rich for Connacht supporters to complain about rules that don't even apply to them because they needed significantly more NIEs than the other provinces to attempt being competitive.

the big difference is that most of them have become eligible to play for Ireland, now whether you think that's a good or bad thing is a difference subject.

Munster have 2 NIQ's in the same postion for this season, a rule we were told couldn't be broken to keep AJ McGinty even on a 1 yr contract. now we only have 1 fit out-half, where's the sense in that

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wp_rathead wrote: »
    This whole thread has gotten rather silly, but to answer your question it was 13/23 :
    Buckley, Bealham, Muldoon, Marmion, Carty, Robb, Parata and O'Halloran from first XV all graduated from Connacht Academy
    Heffernan, JP Cooney, O'Brien, Blade and Gaffney on the bench did

Versus 14/23 for Munster. It's a moot point anyway since both sides were understrength.

Munster: Andrew Conway; Keith Earls, Francis Saili, Dan Goggin, Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Dave Foley; Billy Holland Capt., Tommy O'Donnell, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Dave Kilcoyne, Kevin O'Byrne, Thomas Du Toit, Robin Copeland, Conor Oliver, Te Aihe Toma, Rory Scannell, Jaco Taute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Didn't you get a prop who last played for Munster though? The guy who retired a few weeks ago...walked straight into the Connacht team...what's his name again? :confused:

True, we could have loaned you a centre since we were resting one (even though Taute was signed up until the 31/12/2016) but the men who wear the green of Conn...well, they don't perform well in the red of Mun. Such is the step-up in standards, I suppose...like taking a goldfish out of a bowl and putting it in a tank.
    We might sell you a centre in a few months though...we'll give you a good deal; only if you sell us the silage rights of your field/park/stadium when the other provinces are playing knock-out rugby...to help us pay off the IRFU loan, ya know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement