Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Munster Build Up Thread

Options
  • 29-12-2016 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Both sides are putting out second string teams.Hard one to call, but Connacht have the home advantage...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

It depends who's second string is slightly stronger, and I've got to think Munster have a slight edge about now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Munster may be putting out a second string team but Connacht are just trying to put any team. Decimated with injuries. Won't be pretty at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Could a mod put the tittle right please, it's Connacht v Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd live with a 3 nil win for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

phog wrote: »
    I'd live with a 3 nil win for Munster.

I'll take 6-5 Connacht ;)

Given the gap developing at the top of the table I may need to switch allegiances and cheer for Connacht this weekend. RISE UP THE WEST

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Surprised you haven't yet bumped into Lam or Erasmus this week Venjur :P

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Surprised you haven't yet bumped into Lam or Erasmus this week Venjur :P

Funny you should mention that....

So I bumped into Pat Lam earlier.

I said "Pat!", how's she cuttin?

Pat said, "Venjur, how's it going old pal of mine. Saw you quoting my Ulster jokes in the build up thread, nice bit of work that".

I said "Sure the power puff girls needed something for the dressing room, you know how it is"

Pat agreed, he did know how it is.

Anyway, I said - "Pat, what do you make of this weekend against Munster".

Pat said, "well I've a bit of an axe to grind here. The irascible Rassie was hell for leather after Bundi and Ultan earlier this season."

"No way" I said

Pat said "yeah, it was the only semi accurate thing Cian Tracey has written all season" we both lolled.

"anyway" said Pat, "Erasmus was all over the lads. Started off he was just sending them notes saying "Hi Ultan, I think you're hair style is great,... Rassie" or "Bundee, it's your pal Erasmus here, I love your match celebrations"

"That's a bit weird but not dramatically over the top"...I said, but Pat continued...

"It began to escalate then, Erasmus started sending the lads profile pictures of Ronan O'Gara and Paul O'Connell with "This could be you" written across the top of them". "As if this wasn't enough, he had Jerry Flannery stand outside their houses in lycra with a giant sign saying "Limerick offers better grooming facilities".

"It all came to a head the week before we announced resigning both lads" said Pat. "Rassie had gotten onto some Russian hackers who got onto Bundee's account and started sending cryptic "so long" tweets to force his hand."

"When Aki realised what was happening he got onto Rassie and asked if he had hacked his twitter. Rassie denied the entire thing and Bundee almost dropped the matter when he got a text from CJ saying "Bundee hello. This is your friend and future team mate CJ Stander. Hello. You may know me from such man of the match performances as every weekend of the last two years. I spoke to Rassie and he never got Russian hackers to take over your account. I look forward to winning man of the match in games you are playing for Munster next season. CJ out".

"Aki had never mentioned Russian hackers in his call to Rassie so the saffer was out of the bag as it were", said Pat.

"To be honest" Pat continued, "I reckon the lads were keen to join Munster but all that weird shít put them off and that was that."

So I asked Pat if he thought they would win at the weekend.

Pat said, "well maybe, I'm more concerned about having 23 players. I've been lining out at 8 all week to get some match fitness just in case. I've had to ask Muldoon to fill in at 13. He was happy out, gave me a big hug and asked if I'd made up my mind about the adoption yet..."

I asked Pat before I headed off what his thoughts were about Jaco Taute. Pat said:

"I hope they keep him to be honest. If they do, they'll probably let go Saili who is much better and we might try get him on board..!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tsofitch

Come on Connacht, looking forward to this.

Strong Munster side for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Strong indeed, didn't expect Earls or Conway to start with Sweetnam out injured. Thought at least one of them would be rested and the other more so Earls to cover the 23 jersey and see 20 to 30 minutes of game time.

Shall we start Venjuring the hell out of that side...It's nice to see our A side get some TV time etc :)

Strong Munster side for the game

How many NIQ in that squad, out of interest?

Zzippy wrote: »

I'm sure you can count ;)
    For what it's worth, 2 are gone straight after tomorrow's game

Zzippy wrote: »

On a slightly off topic note, this is a good movie I plan on watching over the weekend ;)

267MERCENARIES_DVD_2D.jpg

With Bundee Aki in a guest appearance role

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/814805658432315392

It's not actually a team sheet it's actually just a list of available players in position

With Bundee Aki in a guest appearance role
    Aki against a whole Munster NIQ Army (Munster targeted him too!). Seems fair though I have to admit.

There was BOD, now there's BIG (Bundee Is God)

• Advertisement

The Connacht team to face Munster at the Sportsground in round 12 of the Guinness PRO12 has been named. There are four personnel changes to the side ahead of the New Year’s Eve clash.

Peter Robb returns from injury to start in the centre with fellow Academy graduate Rory Parata in an otherwise unchanged backline.

Up front, Tom McCartney is reintroduced at hooker and is named to captain the side in the absence of John Muldoon through injury. Naulia Dawai will make his first start for Connacht at Number 8. Nepia Fox-Matamua shifts to blindside flanker to accommodate the returning Jake Heenan who starts at openside, having missed the last two games.

On the bench, Belfast-born prop John Andress is named as a replacement having agreed a short term contract with Connacht Rugby to act as cover for current front-row injuries.

Commenting on the team selection and the upcoming game, head coach Pat Lam said:

“With over half of our senior squad unavailable through injury and more players going down this week either with injury or sickness, it’s been another incredibly challenging week.

“We know it’s going to be very tough against Munster but despite the setbacks we have confidence in the players left standing. Being back at home in a sold out Sportsground for the last game of 2016 also helps the situation we are in. We have a lot of respect for top-of-the-table side Munster and what they are achieving this season. They are without a doubt the form team of the PRO12 championship. It’s going to take a massive team effort against them tomorrow but we’re looking forward to the significant challenge in front of us.”

Connacht team to face Munster*

* this team is subject to the return of certain players from illness and minor injury. Changes may occur on match day.

Saturday December 31st, kick off 17:30, the Sportsground

(Connacht caps in brackets)

15 Tiernan O’Halloran (114)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun (45)
    13 Rory Parata (22)
    12 Peter Robb (22)
    11 Matt Healy (80)
    10 Jack Carty (68)
    9 Kieran Marmion (112)

1 Denis Buckley (104)
    2 Tom McCartney (52) (captain)
    3 Finlay Bealham (68)
    4 Quinn Roux (43)
    5 James Cannon (5)
    6 Nepia Fox-Matamua (14)
    7 Jake Heenan (44)
    8 Naulia Dawai (2)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan (71)
    17 JP Cooney (40)
    18 John Andress (0)
    19 Lewis Stevenson (8)
    20 Danny Qualter (14)
    21 Caolin Blade (34)
    22 Ciaran Gaffney (1)
    23 Rory Moloney (1)

Injured / Unavailable: Ronan Loughney, Conor Carey, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ivan Soroka, Conan O’Donnell, Ultan Dillane, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, Sean O’Brien, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon, James Connolly, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Marnitz Boshoff, Shane O’Leary, Craig Ronaldson, Stacey Ili, Bundee Aki, Eoin Griffin, Cormac Brennan, Cian Kelleher, Danie Poolman, Josh Rowland, Darragh Leader

Andress on the bench!

Strong XV for Connacht but the bench isn't much

The Injured / Unavailable list is frightening: Ronan Loughney, Conor Carey, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ivan Soroka, Conan O’Donnell, Ultan Dillane, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, Sean O’Brien, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon, James Connolly, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Marnitz Boshoff, Shane O’Leary, Craig Ronaldson, Stacey Ili, Bundee Aki, Eoin Griffin, Cormac Brennan, Cian Kelleher, Danie Poolman, Josh Rowland, Darragh Leader.

Andress

Here he is.

Munster bench is so much stronger than ours
    Our 1st XV is probably the best I've ever seen though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Disappointed not to see Arnold involved. Rassie isn't straying far from his first choice besides the internationals.
    Think we could win here against an under strength connacht team.

I guess we will have in the end of the game : Qualter 8 Dawai 12 Moloney Flanker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

connachta wrote: »
    Here he is.

What? Best ever first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Strong xv for Connaucht, I'd make them clear favourites against that Munster A team.

Wait, Didn't Andress retire from rugby just before Xmas?

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/23636.php
    After 12 seasons I no longer feel that my body is capable of the rigours that the pro game requires. I feel extremely privileged to have been able to live out my childhood dream. I am also proud of the fact I played in over 200 pro games for Exeter, Harlequins, Worcester and Edinburgh Rugby.

Although my time at Munster Rugby hasn't worked out the way I would have hoped for I am glad to have experienced such a special environment. I only wish I had been here in my prime. Munster Rugby truly is a club that embodies all the core moral values that this great game teaches us. I wish Rassie and the lads all the best and I am positive the squad will enjoy continued success.

I have many fond memories of big matches and occasions but nothing is more memorable than the people you meet and the bonds you share. The camaraderie in rugby really is special and unique, and will no doubt be the hardest void to fill.

Special mention goes to Belfast Harlequins, where the journey started, Andre Bester, Alan Solomons and Rob Baxter. These three coaches truly inspired me with their hard work, commitment and passion for the game, and in doing so, I feel they got the best out of me.

I would also like to thank my agent Shaun Longstaff who continually worked hard for me, supporting me in rugby and life.

Here is to the next chapter, whatever that maybe. I will continue to keep an eye on the game I love.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Wait, Didn't Andress retire from rugby just before Xmas?

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/23636.php

Pat sent John Muldoon to get him to sign. You have a few more months of rugby in you

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Here he is.

WHAT?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement