Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs vs Southampton

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Terrible start, great comeback. Scoring four goals away at a tough ground, against a tight defence, superb. Very harsh on Redmond though, Dean is a ticking time bomb. Ward Prowse delivery of the ball is first class. Mystified at our short corners.

Vertonghen was all hands and elbows on Rodriguez, who did well to keep his cool. Needless yellow, Alderweireld back for Watford?

Sissoko had a semi decent game, his first touch is that of a dustbin. And that won't change, he offers something. And should for the hefty price tag. Maybe as the season progresses he'll adapt to our style and confidence will bloom.

Son took his goal really well. Lloris would want to cut the naff passing out, against a top side we'll be crucified.

Plenty of positives, confidence should be high for our trip to Vicarage Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to get up on the high horse here over an opinion. We got lucky with de sending off. We had more of de ball n were de better side. It was never a penalty or a sending off. It's a game we could have gone to win, lose or draw. Who knows.

We'l take de luck where we get it and be glad of de points.

Results like this can help de confidence n momentum.

Three more against Watford, hopefully.

It's not a high horse. We are one point off fourth. We beat a team 4 1 with the third best defensive record in the league behind Chelsea and us. Yes it was a bad start but we were all over them for the rest of the match. When we win we should look at the positives. If Southampton didn't play well it was because we didn't let them play well. We outplayed them in all sections of the pitch. Onwards and upwards.

And also (according to BBC football) under new rules if you pull someone's shirt while he is baring in on goal it's automatic penalty and red card. So it was a definite penalty and sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

joeguevara wrote: »
    It's not a high horse. We are one point off fourth. We beat a team 4 1 with the third best defensive record in the league behind Chelsea and us. Yes it was a bad start but we were all over them for the rest of the match. When we win we should look at the positives. If Southampton didn't play well it was because we didn't let them play well. We outplayed them in all sections of the pitch. Onwards and upwards.

And also (according to BBC football) under new rules if you pull someone's shirt while he is baring in on goal it's automatic penalty and red card. So it was a definite penalty and sending off.

There was an element of luck to the win. It would be a penalty if the offence took place in de box.

There was an element of luck to the win. It would be a penalty if the offence took place in de box.

It did take place in the box. It started outside the box but continued inside the area so by the rules it's a penalty and red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

joeguevara wrote: »
    It did take place in the box. It started outside the box but continued inside the area so by the rules it's a penalty and red card.
    I know if it was at the other end that happened, I'd be very unhappy with de ref. No point arguing with a wall!

• Advertisement

I know if it was at the other end that happened, I'd be very unhappy with de ref. No point arguing with a wall!

My thoughts exactly about arguing with a wall. If you want to be negative about a team and say the only reason we won was we were gifted a sending off. Up to you. My thinking is we play what's put in front of us and if we win we celebrate. If we win I don't spend time saying we were sh1te and didn't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I'm not being negative, I'm expressing my opinion, I said it was a great result and keeps us in the race, what I said was don't read to much into scoreline, it was 10 men and we scored 2 in last 5 minutes,
    You have your opinion I have mine, it's a fact of life that people's opinions differ, I will always back this club but I won't wear blinkers because other people say I can't express my opinion,
    We move on to next game

Ormus wrote: »
    Southampton didn't really turn up, even with 11 men, but we have to take some credit for making them play so badly. You say we couldn't string 2 passes together before the 2 late goals, but I remember us winning a peno and also Eriksen rattling the bar.

The only other team Southampton lost a league match to at St Mary's in all of 2016 was Chelsea. The last time they let in 4 there was 2008.

Record points haul doesn't mean jack if you don't win something, but that's missing the point, which is that a record points haul gives a greater chance of winning something. The more points we have, the closer we will be at the end of the season.

Why will the Chelsea game be season defining? Personally I think Chelsea will win the league at a canter. Losing to them doesn't define how good or bad a club is.
    Ormus, be fair if you want to have a pop back that's fine, I fully expect when I put up a controversial post I will get a response but please reply to the entire post and not edited sections
    It was 10 men that's what I said, you think Chelsea would have only beaten them by 2 if they only had 10 men, I acknowledged the result , i said don't get carried away by scoreline,

In relation to the passing I said 10 mins before we scored our third we were terrible our passing was crap, I never once said over the entire game, the pen was in 58 minute and crossbar I can't say for definite the time, in the 10 minute spell I referred too,we gave the ball away at will, in fact only for rose it would have cost us,

But again like I said a record points total is useless unless we win something, I never said otherwise

Season defing by the following simple fact , if we loose we are out of the title race, if we win we are back in it, that to me is pretty defining, I know you once previously posted that you are not bothered by winning trophies as long as team is playing well, I want to see this team win the title, I fully enjoyed the ride last year and I don't want it to end in January this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ormus, be fair if you want to have a pop back that's fine, I fully expect when I put up a controversial post I will get a response but please reply to the entire post and not edited sections
    It was 10 men that's what I said, you think Chelsea would have only beaten them by 2 if they only had 10 men, I acknowledged the result , i said don't get carried away by scoreline,

In relation to the passing I said 10 mins before we scored our third we were terrible our passing was crap, I never once said over the entire game, the pen was in 58 minute and crossbar I can't say for definite the time, in the 10 minute spell I referred too,we gave the ball away at will, in fact only for rose it would have cost us,

But again like I said a record points total is useless unless we win something, I never said otherwise

Season defing by the following simple fact , if we loose we are out of the title race, if we win we are back in it, that to me is pretty defining, I know you once previously posted that you are not bothered by winning trophies as long as team is playing well, I want to see this team win the title, I fully enjoyed the ride last year and I don't want it to end in January this year,

That seems a bit unfair. I replied to almost all the points you made, and there were a good few. I don't always have time to address everything. I wasn't being sneaky.

In my opinion the scoreline didn't flatter us, given that we hit the bar, unluckily missed a pen and dominated the game.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make about the record points total. All we can do is try to accumulate as many points as possible. If it is a record total and it comes up short, that seems unlucky to me. Anyway there is a long way to go before we'll know any of that.

I never said I wasn't bothered by winning trophies, only that I'd prefer to do well in the league than win the league cup, which the big clubs often field weakened teams in. It's just my preference. I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong. I don't know where you got the impression I'm not bothered about Spurs winning the title, that is just nuts!

That seems a bit unfair. I replied to almost all the points you made, and there were a good few. I don't always have time to address everything. I wasn't being sneaky.

In my opinion the scoreline didn't flatter us, given that we hit the bar, unluckily missed a pen and dominated the game.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make about the record points total. All we can do is try to accumulate as many points as possible. If it is a record total and it comes up short, that seems unlucky to me. Anyway there is a long way to go before we'll know any of that.

I never said I wasn't bothered by winning trophies, only that I'd prefer to do well in the league than win the league cup, which the big clubs often field weakened teams in. It's just my preference. I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong. I don't know where you got the impression I'm not bothered about Spurs winning the title, that is just nuts!

A no worries, hopefully in May we will be celebrating so

• Advertisement

Here is to a May celebration so

Anyone ever used stub hub and how much are tickets to WHL these days, it's 11 years since I have been and getting quoted 100 pound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Anyone ever used stub hub and how much are tickets to WHL these days, it's 11 years since I have been and getting quoted 100 pound

Depends on the game. I paid about that to go to the Chelsea game next week. Went to see Arsenal game in league cup last year for about 25 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

sending off did change the game, we weren't great before that, but we were the better team. S'ton really have a solid defence. Take a bit of luck when it comes, and channel it into the next game. COYS!

Advertisement