Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking people's questions literally

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

paralysed wrote: »
    yer all so immature... really annoying.

Ah leave it out, we're only young

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

yer all so immature... really annoying.

Apologies Paralysed, guess I'm the worst culprit.
    I should have went back to bed.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

''please, can you stop, put the knife dow-''

''I'm brutally killing you for disturbing my breakfast kate''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I quite fancy that Kate one off Food Unwrapped.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

indioblack wrote: »
    My post was not to be taken literally - as per the op!
    ah yeah

• Advertisement

I can't believe I forgot - the most annoying ones:

"do you drink?"
    "why don't you drink?"
    "what's your star sign?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I can't believe I forgot - the most annoying one: "do you drink?" or "why don't you drink?"

"Why dont you drink?"

"Jaysis, because I'm having my breakfast Kate!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

How did Kate get into the house btw?

Ted111 wrote: »
    How did Kate get into the house btw?
    get lost

• Advertisement

"Would you ever consider getting married?" - "I hope this isn't the first of many times u'll ask me that"

"are you excited?" - 'I don't think of it that way'

"Did you steal it?" - 'your question makes it seem like it's a possibility'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Kate sounds like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

She's no Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Isn't it amazing how stupid you can look if you take a silly or patronising question at face value? Do you think it's often best to answer a question with a question? or else address the reason you think they're asking it.

For example, years ago when I'd no place to park and I moved some cones outside a house on the street that were blocking a space. The house owner obviously wanted that space for himself. When I came back that night, he came out and said "what do you think I put those cones there for?" Know what I mean? I'd of looked pretty stupid if I answered the question. I replied "what da ya think I moved them for?"

Another example I've come across... in front of everyone this arrogant woman asked "are you happy to see your sister (who I don't get on with) back from Australia again?" I managed to reply "ohh happy isn't the word!" But gee, the fcuking b1tch had the nerve to put me on the spot like that!

I recently I had an neighbour (Helen) come in the door when I was eating all bran for breakfast. She asked "are you on the all bran John?" Instead of just saying 'yes', I replied "I'm eating my breakfast Helen" as if to make her question seem annoying and redundant. I'm not a bloody zoo animal after all! And there's nothing more annoying than being asked a question when you know they've their mind made up as to what the answer is. To this I often just say "which answer will shut you up faster?"

Another one I certainly hate is "are you excited?" It's a bit of a double edged sword. Isn't that a question that girls ask each other? Can't think of many such questions now, but ones such as these below (some which I found my way out of) can be just bloody well annoying:

"And what was your job in preparing the xmas dinner?" with the family listening - "to sit back and give them the pleasure of serving me!"

When in a noisy bar, a fella asks "so tell me what would you do at work on a daily basis" - "as little as possible" that shut him up!

"Why did you decide to wear that?" - "is it making you uncomfortable?"

When the salesman was making his pitch "you'd be happy to save money, right?"

After making my pitch as a salesman, the lady asked "and then will I be satisfied?"

"Did you get your father a present for his birthday?"

"Will you miss me?"

"How old are you?"

"You're a smart young man right?"

Urgh, how do I reply to this post to make it seem annoying and redundant?

I'M EATING MY BREAKFAST PARALYSED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think Katherine Zappone might just be paralyzed.

Who did you tell Minister?
    I'm eating my breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Has anybody got a number for Kate?

Are you finished with that cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A bunch of men chatting at the dinner table during the harvest here maybe 60 yrs ago. One of the lads lost his father in the preceeding year. Someone raises the subject.
    "You buried your father since we were here last Jim"
    Jim replies,
    "Yerrah yeah, sher we had to do something with him when he died."

The problem is that the OP is obsessed with what he sees as people being condescending to him. It underlines all his threads.

You spend too much time thinking about peoples motives OP.

This is more the response I want
    A bunch of men chatting at the dinner table during the harvest here maybe 60 yrs ago. One of the lads lost his father in the preceeding year. Someone raises the subject.
    "You buried your father since we were here last Jim"
    Jim replies,
    "Yerrah yeah, sher we had to do something with him when he died."
    Was it made in a disrespectful way? I don't know if I could give that response about my dad.

Candie wrote: »
    The problem is that the OP is obsessed with what he sees as people being condescending to him. It underlines all his threads.

You spend too much time thinking about peoples motives OP.
    You can change me. Therefore your comment is redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Who the eff is Kate that's in every second bloody post?!? I need simple things! I don't understand! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

This is more the response I want
    Was it made in a disrespectful way? I don't know if I could give that response about my dad.

I haven't the foggiest. I love it though. Some people have a different take on mortality. If he was around today he could be discussing the merits of cremation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I recently I had an neighbour (Helen) come in the door when I was eating all bran for breakfast. She asked "are you on the all bran John?" Instead of just saying 'yes', I replied "I'm eating my breakfast Helen"

That made me laugh. Jaysus that's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

OP has murdered kate and is wearing her skin most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Carry wrote: »
    Thanks :D But what do you do when the very same person (as it happens occasionally with one Irish neighbour) starts to tell you "ah sure, don't I know. Wasn't I meself at Murphy's and met old Pat..." You get the picture.

Thank you, a very good wording of all the things I've had to learn.
    I still think it's a cultural thing. The nuances of symbolic gestures in Ireland is still a balancing act for foreigners, even European ones.
    I actually published a book about "How to blunder in Ireland as a German" (rough translation of the original title). Was fun to write it but still leaves me puzzled about the Irish way of communication.

Being asked "isn't it a lovely day?" when it's actually wet and miserable gave me the evil eye when I answered it just like that:miserable. Right, now I say "not bad for this time of year". Gosh you have to tiptoe around the weather remarks.

I trained myself to find it lovable how people ask questions just to get into a conversation. But still deep in my heart I'm more of a literal person and not shy of calling a spade a spade.

I find this as well.
    Don't know if it's an Irish thing more so but I would be more like yourself. I'd prefer to talk about reality than say something for social currency. I can see the intention of course but i'd still like to keep things vaguely real.

But this thing of giving you a dirty look over the weather is where things get annoying. That's where the social stuff becomes aggressive.

But I'm improving. I feel I should have been born in Germany or something.

Watch here at the 1:30 mark - great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGC7ZhSiyNg

Older stranger in a bar says to me:

what do you plan on doing with your life? - Enjoying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anymore lip from Kate?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Anymore lip from Kate?

katerimmel4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Are you OK?

No, Toddy's the name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement