Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

$$$$$$$$

It scarred them, and the tour. They're only recovering now:pac:

But ya, my favourite, my first love :P

Bono said he loved that tour and said that some gigs were some of the proudest moments of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Yea, they seem to have very mixed emotions about it. Hopefully, they’ll shock us a bit in the new tour with one or two Pop songs, even if they decide to totally rearrange them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah they all seem to love the album to an extent, but it scarred them financially. Hence the massive turnaround with ATYCLB and thereafter.

I hate the re-issued versions. I love the originals. I hate when they come out with "it wasn't finished", just own it lads, you don't have to polish the songs to infinity. Some of their songs have been ruined due to them being overly cautious, Edge fiddling with it forever.

Yeah they all seem to love the album to an extent, but it scarred them financially. Hence the massive turnaround with ATYCLB and thereafter.

I hate the re-issued versions. I love the originals. I hate when they come out with "it wasn't finished", just own it lads, you don't have to polish the songs to infinity. Some of their songs have been ruined due to them being overly cautious, Edge fiddling with it forever.

We're all guilty of fiddling with it forever, to an extent....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pop was their last great hurrah before the slow slide into corporate washed blandness.

They're out put has been heartbreakingly business driven since.

• Advertisement

Not talking about The Nal here.

U2 in general get an awful lot of **** thrown at them. People complaining that the band expect them to spend more money on seeing them is the new thing now.... I don't recall the band sending out personal invites

If, like The Nal, you don't like the music, that's fair enough. Music is an emotional thing. You don't understand it unless you like it and everyone has their own tastes and thoughts.. But, they really do get a kicking for absolutely nothing. I find it pretty sad if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »
    Pop was their last great hurrah before the slow slide into corporate washed blandness.

They're out put has been heartbreakingly business driven since.

Arguing with a troll goes against my instincts, but I happen to know your hearts in the right place...

Recorded output business driven? 4 records, two of which are great, two of which are dicey.

‘Horizon’ might be their weakest album in ages (ever?) but “Moment of Surrender” as good a song as they’ve ever written. A sublime hymn.

Show me what the Stones put out past Some Girls. Patchy ****e. Rock a young man’s persuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Wooderson wrote: »
    Arguing with a troll goes against my instincts, but I happen to know your hearts in the right place...

Recorded output business driven? 4 records, two of which are great, two of which are dicey.

‘Horizon’ might be their weakest album in ages (ever?) but “Moment of Surrender” as good a song as they’ve ever written. A sublime hymn.

Show me what the Stones put out past Some Girls. Patchy ****e. Rock a young man’s persuit.

I actually prefer No Line on the Horizon to both HTDAAB and SoI. Some great underrated tracks on there. Moment of Surrender and everything after Get On Your Boots is great, for me. Unknown Caller isn't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

And in a shock update, the Nal reveals he doesn't like U2 post POP. Tune in next week to hear this worded in a slightly different way.....

Not to bore anyone but, listening to Get Out Of Your Own Way and it is in A
    Streets is in D.

The way Get Out Of You Own Way ends, it could flow perfectly into Streets for the live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So what's the better value for money overall/balanced to pre sale chances?

Membership of u2.com since Jan 2017 vs deluxe CD, which must come with a t shirt it seems? With postage this will come out at near enough the 50 USD which U2.com costs.

Considering you are always going to get the album in some form/have spotify premium anyway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Wooderson

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I actually prefer No Line on the Horizon to both HTDAAB and SoI. Some great underrated tracks on there. Moment of Surrender and everything after Get On Your Boots is great, for me. Unknown Caller isn't bad either.

Of the 4 Records since Pop I’d rank them

- Leave Behind
    - Innocence
    - Horizon
    - Atomic Bomb (a turkey of an album)

I like “Breathe” and “Magnificent” is a quintessential U2 song, but MoS is just *gorgeous*. Truly special piece of work from the lads.

Overall their output since the mid 1990s has been crap compared to what came before - but very few big bands match youthful energy of first few albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The words u2 and cheap don't go togehter looking at the US ticket prices it's true too say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The words u2 and cheap don't go togehter looking at the US ticket prices it's true too say

Obscene prices ,the boys are the ones doing the scalping on this tour,I've really lost alot of time for them with the ridiculous prices they are charging since they got that snake Oseary as their manager.
    $329 + $35 service charge = side 100s and 200s

$175 + $20 service charge = side 400s

$110 + $15 service charge = corner 100s, 200s, upper 400s

$80 + $10 service charge = GA, select limited view 100s

$45 + $10 service charge = select limited view 100s and 400s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Obscene prices ,the boys are the ones doing the scalping on this tour,I've really lost alot of time for them with the ridiculous prices they are charging since they got that snake Oseary as their manager.

The prices seem in line with the i&e tour from the bottom. I remember getting a horrific view seat for €40 (which I sold on when I got standing) but 90 odd is more than what I remember for GA in 2015?

The prices seem in line with the i&e tour from the bottom. I remember getting a horrific view seat for €40 (which I sold on when I got standing) but 90 odd is more than what I remember for GA in 2015?

Was 70 quid for a standing ticket in 2015. Slightly more in the summer.

Reckon it'll be the same this time over here

Was 70 quid for a standing ticket in 2015. Slightly more in the summer.

Reckon it'll be the same this time over here

Standing is very cheap ,its the seats that are a rip off.

Price comparison from last tour ,they have driven the top two categories of seats up by 50-75 dollars and they have increased the percentage of top priced seats.

U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

21lv47o.png

Standing is very cheap ,its the seats that are a rip off.

Price comparison from last tour ,they have driven the top two categories of seats up by 50-75 dollars and they have increased the percentage of top priced seats.

U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

21lv47o.png

Ouch.

Personally speaking, I live for music so I don't mind paying those prices. I've nothing or no one else to spend my money on and it's the best thing in the world for me.

Understand the way it is for others though mind

Ouch.

Personally speaking, I live for music so I don't mind paying those prices. I've nothing or no one else to spend my money on and it's the best thing in the world for me.

Understand the way it is for others though mind

I wont pay above 130 euro for any band ,I just dont simply think its worth it.

I can see what the boys are doing ,they obviously want to maximise their revenue and take money out of the hands of touts ,and thats fair ,but I think the ticket prices are just too high ,you are punishing fans.
    Oseary is renowned for this ,he made his reputation with Madonna by fleecing fans ,the same thing is happening with U2.

The prices for Europe will be lower but I can see the seats pushing 200 euro here ,standing will be the usual bargain it is.

I will buy standing ,its a bargain ,decent seats are a rip off.

I can see what the boys are doing ,they obviously want to maximise their revenue and take money out of the hands of touts ,and thats fair ,but I think the ticket prices are just too high ,you are punishing fans.
    Oseary is renowned for this ,he made his reputation with Madonna by fleecing fans ,the same thing is happening with U2.

The prices for Europe will be lower but I can see the seats pushing 200 euro here ,standing will be the usual bargain it is.

I'm very tempted to buy tickets for New York but, I'm afraid it won't let me then use the code for the gigs over here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The only time I ever paid more than 100 euro for a band was for Zeppelin reunion concert. But that was Zeppelin!! And it was for charity. Wouldn't pay that for any other act..... (POSSIBLY Pearl Jam)

The only time I ever paid more than 100 euro for a band was for Zeppelin reunion concert. But that was Zeppelin!! And it was for charity. Wouldn't pay that for any other act..... (POSSIBLY Pearl Jam)

The majority of concerts I've seen over the years were €100 or more for tickets. I'm lucky atm i can afford them prices but at the end of the day it's a lot. I'm not into sun holidays/piss ups and use gigs as my holiday activities so it kind of works out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The majority of concerts I've seen over the years were €100 or more for tickets. I'm lucky atm i can afford them prices but at the end of the day it's a lot. I'm not into sun holidays/piss ups and use gigs as my holiday activities so it kind of works out

It's not that I can't afford it. It's just a point of principle. When I go to a concert I always buy two T-shirts which adds 50-60 quid onto the total cost so I limit my ticket price to about the 85 quid mark.

It's not that I can't afford it. It's just a point of principle. When I go to a concert I always buy two T-shirts which adds 50-60 quid onto the total cost so I limit my ticket price to about the 85 quid mark.

Yeah I'm a sucker for merch too and taking photos on my phone lol. I do despise people walking out every 5 mins esp in the seating areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I have noticed for some recent concerts, for example for gigs in the 3 Arena, the gap between standing tickets and seated tickets has become wider.

For example, without including the service charge, the prices for the Steely Dan gig recently, were 79.50 euros for standing tickets, and much of the seated tickets were 129.50 euros.

I understand that certain seats in blocks in the upper balcony were 99 euros.

Another example is Roger Waters next June, where the standing tickets are 86 euros and much of the seated blocks are 131 euros. The tickets that are 76 euros, I think, are located at the back of some blocks on the upper balcony. I did a search for one ticket for the 76 euros tickets, and they must be sold out because instead of finding one at that price, it offered a seat in Block H row 40 seat 43, for 96 euros, so I guess the 76 euros tickets were further to the extreme corner of block H, and perhaps the corner of Block P as well.

But that for some other shows, standing and seated tickets are the same, for example Tears for Fears, where much of the seated tickets are 65.45, the same as standing tickets, and for the Queen gig, the standing tickets are 94 euros, as are much of the seated tickets. Some other tickets are 87 euros for the Queen gig and some tickets for Tears for Fears are 56.65

For both the Tears for Fears gig and the Queen gig, the less expensive priced tickets seem to be the seats located in the blocks at the edge, or towards the back. I searched for the 56.65 euros priced ticket for Tears for Fears and it selected Block G row 24.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/roger-waters-dublin-06-26-2018/event/18005347BE7BA3C1?artistid=736426&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Tears-for-Fears-tickets/artist/945619?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f3
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/tears-for-fears-rule-the-world-dublin-05-02-2018/event/1800535BD879FC5C?artistid=945619&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

I'm curious as to why at some shows, seated tickets in certain blocks are the same price as standing tickets, but at other shows, there could be a difference of 30 - 40 euros between the prices. I'm wondering, is it the case that when the Optimum Standing layout is used which has less standing tickets - instead of general admission standing on the ground floor - that the gap between the prices of stand and seated tickets is higher, because according to the ticketmaster page the optimum standing layout is being used for the Roger Waters gigs, and the optimum standing layout was used for Steely Dan.

Edit: I just checked again and see that the Tears For Fears gig is on the ticketmaster page as the optimum standing layout, and the standing are the same price as much of the seated blocks, so my theory above doesn't apply!:)

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/queen-adam-lambert-dublin-11-25-2017/event/1800528FF1A84F3C?artistid=1971833&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27807&sid=aa7b2657e3dcf521a22b57a3ea417cd8&start=45

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

My reading of things is that you could get a pre-sale code with the pre-order of the album and also with your membership, which would be handy if you want to attend a few gigs.
    Not sure if anyone else got that impression. Anyways, I'll pre-order and will renew the subscription once it is due. If I get two codes, all the better. If not, nothing lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

mrk75 wrote: »
    My reading of things is that you could get a pre-sale code with the pre-order of the album and also with your membership, which would be handy if you want to attend a few gigs.
    Not sure if anyone else got that impression. Anyways, I'll pre-order and will renew the subscription once it is due. If I get two codes, all the better. If not, nothing lost.

Yeah it seems pre-order presales are separate, and dependent on whatever is leftover from the membership presales, so my taking was there is no 100% guarantee that ordering the album will get you a code.

Anything I've had a presale for to date has ended in disaster anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Yeah it seems pre-order presales are separate, and dependent on whatever is leftover from the membership presales, so my taking was there is no 100% guarantee that ordering the album will get you a code.

Anything I've had a presale for to date has ended in disaster anyways.

No purchase necessary for the album presale. You just need to sign up via email.
    This is a common recent trick from the record companies. They give the impression that you have to buy the album, but you don't. AFAIK, it's illegal to require a purchase to gain access to presale.

Go to this page, and you'll see 'no purchase necessary'
    https://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/artist?artistName=U2com&sourceCode=U2TWEBWWGBP

No purchase necessary for the album presale. You just need to sign up via email.
    This is a common recent trick from the record companies. They give the impression that you have to buy the album, but you don't. AFAIK, it's illegal to require a purchase to gain access to presale.

Go to this page, and you'll see 'no purchase necessary'
    https://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/artist?artistName=U2com&sourceCode=U2TWEBWWGBP

Yes under EU law I believe anyone is allowed access ,no purchase necessary.
    That no purchase necessary link is faulty though it only redirects to U2.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

U2.com just sent out an email for a draw for front row tickets to a special 40 minute show in Trafalgar Square this weekend.

Advertisement