Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k TV Power City

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The input lag on that lg is going to be a no-no for any serious gamer.

From ratings.com:

In Q&A below review

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6
    Q: I currently have this TV. I play first person shooter games and fighting games like Halo and Smash Bros. I did not notice any input lag when playing these games and they are amazing to play on this set. People that come over are even surprised to see the amazing color depth of this TV. Other sites say they received an input lag of around 34 ms while you guys say it's 54ms. Why would you think there'd be a discrepancy? I just want to say this TV is stunning and makes all the graphics of every content 10 million times better. It's just a wow factor!!! Go OLED!

A: For most people, this input lag is not noticeable. Even with a 60fps signal, the difference between 54ms and 34ms is about 1 frame. We have re measured our B6 with the newest firmware and can confirm the 54.3ms measurement. This is with the input icon set to 'Game Console' and the picture mode set to 'Game'. The picture quality of this TV is exceptional.

Update 11/11/2016: With the newest firmware update, the input lag for 1080p @ 60Hz is now 44.4ms.

So basically not an issue IMO for me at least. Up to you if you feel it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I find that samsungs don't live up to their excellent specs in terms of image quality. Don't get me wrong It's a good tv for the price but there is a reason why the equivalent sony and panasonic are much more expensive.

I have owned Sammy 3 times in a row now and found them all fantastic ( C680 , H6400 and now the KS ) .

Panasonic crashed out of all consideration for me about 6 years ago with all the controversy with the rising black levels and the way Panasonic fobbed off their customers even after treats of class action lawsuits,
    For example,
    https://hdguru.com/cnet-tests-point-to-extent-of-loss-in-panasonic-plasma-black-level-performance-a-thx-response/

And as for Sony...

I'll leave this here ,
    http://hothardware.com/news/sony-allegedly-covering-up-input-lag-issues-on-bravia-tvs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have owned Sammy 3 times in a row now and found them all fantastic ( C680 , H6400 and now the KS ) .

Panasonic crashed out of all consideration for me about 6 years ago with all the controversy with the rising black levels and the way Panasonic fobbed off their customers even after treats of class action lawsuits,
    For example,
    https://hdguru.com/cnet-tests-point-to-extent-of-loss-in-panasonic-plasma-black-level-performance-a-thx-response/

And as for Sony...

I'll leave this here ,
    http://hothardware.com/news/sony-allegedly-covering-up-input-lag-issues-on-bravia-tvs
    An article from 2010 on 2008 tv's is hardly relevant today. While you are googling maybe you should look up samsungs capacitor problems.

Samsung uses cheaper component s in their tv's which is why they cost less to buy than the big two Japanese brands but they are also less reliable in general and are more difficult to get parts for when things do go wrong.

As for input lag, many tv's today by their nature suffer from it. Also that article is only reffering to one specific tv. Input lag varies between all models and even the same model of tv in a different size can have a different level of lag.

In general Sony is a leader when it comes to input lag. This year Samsung tv's have been excellent when it comes to input lag but it's still important to check the model and screen size of the tv you are buying and not focus on just the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

input lag??

are we talking refresh rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If you want the best tv you can get for 1200euro it's the Samsung 55KS7000.
    It's cheaper for a reason yes but they didn't skimp on the panel.
    Design , speakers , motion processing arnt as good, but then all these are improved on the more expensive KS8000.

The equivalent Panasonic is an 8 bit panel.
    I'm not sure about the Sony.

Is the flagship Samsung as good as the flagship Pani or Sony probably not.

If you have 1200 to spend to get into HDR gaming and movies then it's the best tv to buy.

• Advertisement

An article from 2010 on 2008 tv's is hardly relevant today. While you are googling maybe you should look up samsungs capacitor problems.

Samsung uses cheaper component s in their tv's which is why they cost less to buy than the big two Japanese brands but they are also less reliable in general and are more difficult to get parts for when things do go wrong.

As for input lag, many tv's today by their nature suffer from it. Also that article is only reffering to one specific tv. Input lag varies between all models and even the same model of tv in a different size can have a different level of lag.

In general Sony is a leader when it comes to input lag. This year Samsung tv's have been excellent when it comes to input lag but it's still important to check the model and screen size of the tv you are buying and not focus on just the brand.

Hence why I originally referred to the KS7000 model of the Sammy as this is a discussion about Uhd TV's and ppl are mentioning LG , Panasonic and Sony . I mentioned the KS7000 because it is the best 10bit HDR ,UHD tv out there at the moment for anywhere near the price .

Panasonic deliberately claimed that there was no issues with the range of TV's back then , even though the problem was reported by many , many thousands of customers ,and deliberately did nothing to remedy the issue . They fobbed of the customers with the phrase " it's within specification " . That phrase was reported by many , many customers as the excuse used by the engineers sent out from Panny to look at the TV's . I was keen to buy a Panny at the time and this practice made me look the other way .

Sony are now going the same with an equivalent ,comparable model to the Samsung KS7000 series . Rather than admitting the fault , Sony are deliberately burying the issue .

These are fair criticism's by me as they can be backed up when searched for online . I am sure that there are many fair criticism's of Samsung out there as well , but , I had an issue with the first Sammy C680 ( dirty panel ) and the TV was swapped immediately . I also had a problem with a Sammy monitor ( Samsung panel with a dead pixel ) and after 2.5 years of use , Samsung sent out a courier with a new panel after a 5 minute call to replace the one with the dead pixel .

fryup wrote: »
    input lag??

are we talking refresh rate?

When you make a movement on your controller ...the length of time it takes to make that movement on the screen . If it's generally under about 40ms ,it should be ok . Good Pc gaming monitors have anywhere from 2-5ms .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hence why I originally referred to the KS7000 model of the Sammy as this is a discussion about Uhd TV's and ppl are mentioning LG , Panasonic and Sony . I mentioned the KS7000 because it is the best 10bit HDR ,UHD tv out there at the moment for anywhere near the price .

Panasonic deliberately claimed that there was no issues with the range of TV's back then , even though the problem was reported by many , many thousands of customers ,and deliberately did nothing to remedy the issue . They fobbed of the customers with the phrase " it's within specification " . That phrase was reported by many , many customers as the excuse used by the engineers sent out from Panny to look at the TV's . I was keen to buy a Panny at the time and this practice made me look the other way .

Sony are now going the same with an equivalent ,comparable model to the Samsung KS7000 series . Rather than admitting the fault , Sony are deliberately burying the issue .

These are fair criticism's by me as they can be backed up when searched for online . I am sure that there are many fair criticism's of Samsung out there as well , but , I had an issue with the first Sammy C680 ( dirty panel ) and the TV was swapped immediately . I also had a problem with a Sammy monitor ( Samsung panel with a dead pixel ) and after 2.5 years of use , Samsung sent out a courier with a new panel after a 5 minute call to replace the one with the dead pixel .
    Your criticism of that particular Sony model may have some merit but not the brand as a whole.

Your criticism of panasonic isn't really relevant because it's an article from a decade ago and it's about a different technology(plasma). Panasonic don't make plasmas anymore + even if some of their earlier plasmas didn't have great black levels(by plasma standards) I gaurantee you that it's still far better black levels than any back lit lcd out there.

Anyway they rectified that issue on later sets
    https://www.cnet.com/news/panasonic-plasma-black-levels-no-longer-worsen/

Im not saying that panasonic or sony are perfect or that they are going to be without their odd fault here and there. All im saying is that they are better quality than the korean brands and they are worth the extra few €'s.

I don't disagree that the samsung is good bang for buck, especially with such good specs but they are built to a budget and are more middle of the road when it comes to reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xECompanyx

I bought the Sony KD55XD8005 55" 4K Android tv from Amazon on a black Friday deal for about 868eur all in. Cant complain, love it. Its my 2nd sony 4K, had the 2015 kd49x8307c before that but gradually hated it as had backlight bleed issues, a buggy os and no hdr. The picture was still amazing tho. That 55" 2016 Sony I mentioned is on deal price once again with free del to Ireland, stg769, prob bout eur 900. Id
    recommend it. Mine has a tiny bit of back light bleed at the sony light in the center but this is not a deal breaker by any means and only noticable at night and depends on your pickiness..

Advertisement