Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Santa Clause becoming an unacceptable figure in this political correct age?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

We don't assume the worst unless we're morons. We learn from experience and safeguard.

So you're fine with removing the lap sitting? Why all the song and dance if it's not a problem? Implement the safeguards and be done with it.

I studied the psychology of sexual offenders for years. I didn't take the career path in the end. So yes you're right. I do have an understanding of these things that you'll likely never have. Well spotted by you.

I can't get my head around why someone would willingly put their child on a stranger's lap when that behaviour would be rightly seen as shoddy parenting behaviour in any other situation.

A sexual deviant in a Santa suit would be delighted to see your posts so willing to place their children in that deviant's lap.

All over the western world parents queued in these last few weeks to place their child in the lap of a Santa. Thousands of Santas, millions of parents and children.
    Yet you feel free to accuse them all, every single one, of bad parenting, with you having absolutely no qualifications whatsoever to take that position.
    If you see a queue at a Santas Grotto in December and your only reaction is that the Santa is a paedophile and that these parents are paedophile enablers then you definitely need to speak to someone who can help you.
    Can you provide a link to a study of adults who claim to have been assaulted by a Santa while sitting in his lap, for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Do you're fine with removing the pap sitting? Why all the song and dance if it's not a problem? Implement the safeguards and be done with it.

I don't think sitting on Santas lap is all that important, I'm just disappointed that the world is getting to a point where we assume the worst of men because of a few bad eggs.

We don't assume the worst unless we're morons. We learn from experience and safeguard.

So you're fine with removing the lap sitting? Why all the song and dance if it's not a problem? Implement the safeguards and be done with it.
    Edit: actually the more I think of you describing a child sitting on someone's knee as a lapdance the more I think that you must have some deep rooted issues there that I'm unlikely to understand. I'm sorry if this discussion has touched a nerve with you.

I studied the psychology of sexual offenders for years. I didn't take the career path in the end. So yes you're right. I do have an understanding of these things that you'll likely never have. Well spotted by you.

I can't get my head around why someone would willingly put their child on a stranger's lap when that behaviour would be rightly seen as shoddy parenting behaviour in any other situation.

A sexual deviant in a Santa suit would be delighted to see your posts so willing to place their children in that deviant's lap.
    Dude, you're being very undude.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just look at the whole US fundamentalist churches take on - Santa is Satan - it's Poe's law on overdrive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

infogiver wrote:
    All over the western world parents queued in these last few weeks to place their child in the lap of a Santa. Thousands of Santas, millions of parents and children. Yet you feel free to accuse them all, every single one, of bad parenting, with you having absolutely no qualifications whatsoever to take that position.

Well what I said is that outing your child on a stranger's lap would usually be seen as shoddy parenting -because of obvious reasons. I stand by that assertion. Maybe you disagree. Maybe it's just a strawman argument.

infogiver wrote:
    If you see a queue at a Santas Grotto in December and your only reaction is that the Santa is a paedophile and that these parents are paedophile enablers then you definitely need to speak to someone who can help you.

Where this nonsense coming from? Nothing I said that's for sure.
    infogiver wrote:
    Can you provide a link to a study of adults who claim to have been assaulted by a Santa while sitting in his lap, for instance?

Can I provide a link to support your strawman argument? No, obviously not.

I'll just stick to discussing the points I make instead of the ones you've made up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

People in society who think like you make me wary,and it scares me.

Sure we'll ban men from smiling to themselves when kids are around, I remember when I was a kid an old local guy used to come down and watch us fishing down by the pier and told us stories about the conger eels he used to carch in Yarmouth in England,the cod they caught in the north east of england during the winter.
    He used to smile and come over when one of us would catch a dogfish or ray,he'd show us how to unhook it and throw it back unharmed.

Today some twisted sick parents would think he's a paedo,pervert, potential front page news story,maybe a child killer.
    They would then create a fcking witch hunt,and ruin this guys life, he'd no longer be able to sit at the pier watching kids fishing,bringing back fond memories of his own childhood...
    Because some pricks saying he's weird and a potential pervert, yes you im describing you would create a witch hunt,not you though youre not like that your not paranoid...

Poor old guy living out his last days due to some btch and prick ruining his life.....my kids my kids my kids....

Im writing this now and am worried in case youre sitting down with your kids and my phone is tilted in front of you and your delicate position...
    I could be a potential pervert taking photos,but no im not im answering a post on boards.ie

So fck u and people like you and what direction you're thinking....

That old man passed away and we were all sad about it,he was a kind old soul...

Sometimes 30 years later when were fishing one of us will say remember old Jock who used to watch us fishing....such a sweet old man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Well what I said is that outing your child on a stranger's lap would usually be seen as shoddy parenting -because of obvious reasons.

What percentage, of these Santa's. Would you reckon are deviant sexual predators?

infogiver wrote:

This is an interesting point though. A deviant with an attraction to children would clearly see children sitting on their lap as a birthday present. They are obviously more likely to apply for the job of Santa than a job that doesn't involve children -along with the normal people who do the job.

So why do you need research to safeguard against the obvious risks? We just acknowledge the elevated risk and out safeguards in place.

It's so simple. Strange to want to wait for research about abuse cases to act.

This is an interesting point though. A deviant with an attraction to children would clearly see children sitting on their lap as a birthday present. They are obviously more likely to apply for the job of Santa than a job that doesn't involve children -along with the normal people who do the job.

Same can be said about doctors in a kids hospital,or school teachers....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sure we'll ban men from smiling to themselves when kids are around, I remember when I was a kid an old local guy used to come down and watch us fishing down by the pier and told us stories about the conger eels he used to carch in Yarmouth in England,the cod they caught in the north east of england during the winter.
    He used to smile and come over when one of us would catch a dogfish or ray,he'd show us how to unhook it and throw it back unharmed.

Today some twisted sick parents would think he's a paedo,pervert, potential front page news story,maybe a child killer.
    They would then create a fcking witch hunt,and ruin this guys life, he'd no longer be able to sit at the pier watching kids fishing,bringing back fond memories of his own childhood...
    Because some pricks saying he's weird and a potential pervert, yes you im describing you would create a witch hunt,not you though youre not like that your not paranoid...

Poor old guy living out his last days due to some btch and prick ruining his life.....my kids my kids my kids....

Im writing this now and am worried in case youre sitting down with your kids and my phone is tilted in front of you and your delicate position...
    I could be a potential pervert taking photos,but no im not im answering a post on boards.ie

That old man passed away and we were all sad about it,he was a kind old soul...

Sometimes 30 years later when were fishing one of us will say remember old Jock who used to watch us fishing....such a sweet old man
    Eh, ignoring your weird ramblings for a second, I DIDN'T POST THAT. You can apologise whenever you're ready.

• Advertisement

What percentage, of these Santa's. Would you reckon are deviant sexual predators?

You want me to makeup a percentage? What percentage would be the threshold to act?

Eh, ignoring your weird ramblings for a second, I DIDN'T POST THAT. You can apologise whenever you're ready.

Must be a glitch with the site, yes im sorry.

Weird ramblings....not at all its the truth.

Today some twisted sick parents would think he's a paedo,pervert, potential front page news story,maybe a child killer. They would then create a fcking witch hunt,and ruin this guys life, he'd no longer be able to sit at the pier watching kids fishing,bringing back fond memories of his own childhood... Because some pricks saying he's weird and a potential pervert, yes you im describing you would create a witch hunt,not you though youre not like that your not paranoid...
    Im writing this now and am worried in case youre sitting down with your kids and my phone is tilted in front of you and your delicate position... I could be a potential pervert taking photos,but no im not im answering a post on boards.ie
    Irony is this fantasy is probably the type of thing you're accusing me of. That's a detailed situation you posted there. Wierd considering you completely invented it from your imagination.

Had a little Drinky-poo this evening have we? Bit aggressive without reason.

Same can be said about doctors in a kids hospital,or school teachers....

And we safeguard those situations. Obviously because if obvious reasons. Hence, it would be considered shoddy parenting to encourage children to sit in stranger's laps.

Most situations where children are involved, have safeguards in place. For some reason some people are very sensitive to safeguarding this particular thing.

Irony is this fantasy is probably the type of thing you're accusing me of. That's a detailed situation you posted there. Wierd considering you completely invented it from your imagination.

Like I said its people like you who scare me.

"Had a little drinky poo" is creepy too...

Is that the way you generally talk to people who challenge your self worth and the worth of others.

Talking about imagination, Id be getting professional help if I had an imagination like yours.

Theres plenty of help out there if you're willing to get it.

And we safeguard those situations. Obviously because if obvious reasons. Hence, it would be considered shoddy parenting to encourage children to sit in stranger's laps.

I suppose you'll be suggesting life size demonstration dummies for kids at martial arts classes too....

If sense touches your kid you'll bring him to the high court and sue the irish martial society for a cool mil....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Must be a glitch with the site, yes im sorry.

Weird ramblings....not at all its the truth.

Mod

Whatever it is, chill out. And if there's a glitch, the sound thing to do would be to edit your post, not leave it whereby you're misquoting someone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

infogiver wrote: »

I don't know. When my son was 6 weeks old I took him to Santa for a family Christmas photo. I was in a sleep deprived post-partum state so maybe I'm not to be 100% trusted. But I'm pretty sure that as I sat next to "Santa" the dodgy fuçker squeezed my bum. :eek:

I was 34 though, so at least he wasn't a paedo.

So why do you need research to safeguard against the obvious risks? We just acknowledge the elevated risk and out safeguards in place.

It's so simple. Strange to want to wait for research about abuse cases to act.

I'm strange now. All the millions of parents who sat their child in Santas lap over the past few weeks are strange according to you, calling on you to provide any evidence that any child has been molested by a Santa in a Grotto is "strange ".
    You must find life very difficult. Why do others not care for their children as you do? Obviously paedophiles are everywhere, just waiting...why do other parents not see this as clearly as you?
    Other parents smile and take pictures for posterity as their little girl whispers her Christmas list to the man in the red suit.
    All you see is a brain dead oik allowing a pervert to satisfy his sick desires by assaulting their child.
    I have 2 batchelor uncles retired schoolteachers who delighted for 50 years in engaging strangers children in a bit of crack because they had a vocation to nurture and encourage kids.
    People like you have allowed an irrational paranoia to fester and grow in your heart to the point where my uncles now have to be careful not to look in the direction of, never mind chat to any young people.
    This is crazy. Parents need to train children to know where a line has been crossed.
    Your demonising of not only apparently any childless man out in public but any parents not having their kids in a permanent state of alert is wrong.
    Your not rational and your not fair.

Like I said its people like you who scare me.

Like people who create little scenarios like your little fantasy you just told us about?
    Is that the way you generally talk to people who challenge your self worth and the worth of others.
    I was pointing out that drink I'd the most likely reason for your rambling post, complete with creepy fantasies.

Is that what you were doing? Challenging my self worth and the worth of others? I'm just chatting about the topic. You can chat away with yourself about whatever you like I suppose.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote:
    I'm strange now. All the millions of parents who sat their child in Santas lap over the past few weeks are strange according to you, calling on you to provide any evidence that any child has been molested by a Santa in a Grotto is "strange ".

Since I didn't say any of this, is it ok if I just stick to the points I made instead of discussing these made up scenarios?
    infogiver wrote:
    You must find life very difficult. Why do others not care for their children as you do? Obviously paedophiles are everywhere, just waiting...why do other parents not see this as clearly as you? Other parents smile and take pictures for posterity as their little girl whispers her Christmas list to the man in the red suit. All you see is a brain dead oik allowing a pervert to satisfy his sick desires by assaulting their child. I have 2 batchelor uncles retired schoolteachers who delighted for 50 years in engaging strangers children in a bit of crack because they had a vocation to nurture and encourage kids. People like you have allowed an irrational paranoia to fester and grow in your heart to the point where my uncles now have to be careful not to look in the direction of, never mind chat to any young people. This is crazy. Parents need to train children to know where a line has been crossed. Your demonising of not only apparently any childless man out in public but any parents not having their kids in a permanent state of alert is wrong. Your not rational and your not fair.

This is just rambling. Is there some point in here that you want a response to?

Since I didn't say any of this, is it ok if I just stick to the points I made instead of discussing these made up scenarios?

This is just rambling. Is there some point in here that you want a response to?

Did you or did you not describe allowing your child to sit in Santas lap as "strange" parenting?
    When I asked you to provide a link as to how sitting in Santas lap had ever had adverse effect on any child you felt that this was strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

I love the way that, in the absence of any actual "PC gone mad" stories, lads have to imagine one so they can complain about it. Enjoy the dinner OP, relax for a few hours.
    It's always fun to speculate about what certain types will complain about next. We know there are a few staples like biology (there are only two genders and there are dramatic differences between them), or facts (the "pay gap" is not real, "patriarchy" isn't real either, and the police aren't all KKK members out shooting black kids in huge numbers for sport) or basic logic and common sense (like, you can't phase out both nuclear and fossil fuel power, and any attempt to do so will end in economic and environmental disaster, or the fact that racism is the view of different races as superior or inferior, or hatred towards any given race (or members thereof, on the basis of race), and has nothing whatsoever to do with alleged "privilege").

But whether it's Shakespeare in an English literature course, Jules Verne, statues that (unknown to the sculptor) are monuments to "mansplaining", Zwarte Piet in the Netherlands, it's impossible to predict for certain (i.e. beyond the above staples) that SJWs will have a problem with next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

SeanW wrote: »
    It's always fun to speculate about what libtard SJW pinheads will complain about next.
    But I thought they were annoying? Although I think they're hilarious myself and enjoy speculating in such a way too, but some do this speculating as serious business.

I know ridiculous sensitivity and political correctness do exist, and has had devastating consequences (e.g. Rotherham) but I think some people look for it too in the exact way the hypersensitive virtue signalling types look for offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

SeanW wrote: »
    It's always fun to speculate about what certain types will complain about next. We know there are a few staples like biology (there are only two genders and there are dramatic differences between them), or facts (the "pay gap" is not real, "patriarchy" isn't real either, and the police aren't all KKK members out shooting black kids in huge numbers for sport) or basic logic and common sense (like, you can't phase out both nuclear and fossil fuel power, and any attempt to do so will end in economic and environmental disaster, or the fact that racism is the view of different races as superior or inferior, or hatred towards any given race (or members thereof, on the basis of race), and has nothing whatsoever to do with alleged "privilege").

But whether it's Shakespeare in an English literature course, Jules Verne, statues that (unknown to the sculptor) are monuments to "mansplaining", Zwarte Piet in the Netherlands, it's impossible to predict for certain (i.e. beyond the above staples) that SJWs will have a problem with next.
    :confused:

infogiver wrote:
    Did you or did you not describe allowing your child to sit in Santas lap as "strange" parenting?
    infogiver wrote:

Oh yeah. Encouraging a child to sit on a perfect strangers' laps would definitely be shoddy parenting in general because of all the obvious reasons.
    infogiver wrote:
    When I asked you to provide a link as to how sitting in Santas lap had ever had adverse effect on any child you felt that this was strange?

I know you keep asking for proof of abuse but I never once mentioned abuse, did I?

I know you're more interested in discussing your alternate version of what I said but just to get you back on track, here's a selection of what I actually said -no mention if abuse. Just safeguarding to make the job less attractive for people with an attraction to children:
    Ha! An opportunity to have hundreds of children come sit on your lap would be noticed by every pervert, person with attraction to children, sexual deviant, etc, in the area. Garda clearance will filter out the ones who have ever been caught/under suspicion - not great odds.
    Being a Santa would attract half the paedo in the area. We know this now so why not act to safeguard children?
    I'm completely sure those jobs attract paedos at a greater rate than jobs that don't involve children. So we put extra safeguards in place in those jobs -no need for children to sit on Santa's knee
    There's no need for the child to sit on a stranger's lap. Do people go around encouraging their children to sit on many stranger's laps or just Santa's lap?
    If we have learned anything about sexual deviants it's that only a fraction of them ever committ a large-scale harmful crime. Most of the rest of them just fit into society. They used to be known as the people who grabbed side-boob and made people a bit uncomfortable.
    What do I want? Safeguards to acknowledge the fact that most deviants will never show up on Garda clearance. Safeguards like children not sitting on Santa's lap for example.
    Most Santa's do nothing more than the job description. The deviants will always be pushing boundaries to take sexual gratification from the physical contact.

So now, instead of not reading what I said and asking me to produce research about random topics, you can read what I actually said and see if you can engage with any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

With the new American president - PC is old hat,it's all about saying whatever you want to say as politically incorrect as you want, doesn't matter anymore..... let's call it Trumpism

infogiver wrote:

It's like we're in a courtroom drama, how exciting. I said encouraging children to sit in strangers laps would normally be seen as shoddy parenting. Given that children sitting in strangers laps is pretty much limited to strangers in Santa suits, then yes. Encouraging children to sit in a strangers lap, even while they're in a Santa suit, is strange behaviour.
    infogiver wrote:

I know petal. I keep telling you I never mentioned abuse and you keep asking me for evidence of abuse. Above are a selection of things I actually did say. Might help if you stick to the things I did say rather than ask me for random it's of research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

El duderino you clearly have a problem with men.

• Advertisement

El duderino you clearly have a problem with men.

What now? What a stupid thing to say.

Advertisement