Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Santa Clause becoming an unacceptable figure in this political correct age?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

neris wrote: »
    its happened already. kids dont get to sit on santas knee anymore in a lot of places

Ah, that brings back childhood memories.

"Santa, is that a phone in your pocket?"

"No, it's 1986, I can't fit a mobile phone in my pocket"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Grayson wrote: »
    There's been santa's of other races. No harm there unless you're Megyn Kelly.

Yeah but try casting a white person as a character who's now white in a comic or whatever the source material is, and contrast the reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What would the contrast consist of?

You're on a thread where someone has imagined fictional complaints about Santa to rail against. Who are the serial whingers here? I'd bet good money this thing about not being allowed sit on Santa's lap is also a figment of someone's imagination as well.

In one breath some people complain about snowflakes taking offence at everything, in the next they get offended about a scenario they dream up in their head.

The great irony of the anti-"PC Brigade" mission, they're perpetually offended, not even reality gets in the way of the endless outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There's something so seasonally appropriate about the special snowflakes who whinge about not being allowed to be racist/sexist/homophobic, having to make up stories to get offended by.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Roger_007 wrote: »
    White, (racial stereotype?), male,(gender stereotype?), overweight, drinks and drives/flies, sneaks into children's bedrooms late at night, gives presents to children, (grooming?).
    Is it only a matter of time before he becomes a victim of the PC brigade?
    The ridiculous PC brigade are already on the back foot because, as always over the centuries, common sense is coming back into vogue.
    In 10 years time we'll all laugh at how preposterous all this hyper sensitivity became.

I agree. We'll all laugh at how silly it was to have a hair trigger reaction to an attitude that doesn't actually exist. The ludicrous hysteria of the daily mail readers will look like the complete lunacy it manifestly is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The great irony of the anti-"PC Brigade" mission, they're perpetually offended, not even reality gets in the way of the endless outrage.

I just stand up to authoritarianism, in all its forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Saipanne wrote: »

Even imaginary it seems :D

Your in for a tough life kid,look after yourself

• Advertisement

Even imaginary it seems :D

Your in for a tough life kid,look after yourself

Authoritarian political correctness is very real, unfortunately. And is largely to blame for the mess of Trump and Brexit.

But you continue to lie to yourself and blame it on the "racists".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tilda Swinton played a part which was that of an Asian man in Dr Strange. There was a furore over this about Hollywood being racist. But anybody who comments about a black Santa is derided as racist (haven't got the reference but I saw it in the last few days). The contrast is that cries of cultural appropriation only seem to go in one direction (I don't buy this at all, btw. Let people make references to/use other cultural memes as much as they want as far as I'm concerned)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Have you read any of the articles? You might lose the bet...

Setting aside the fact that it's the likes of the daily mail that have stoked up all the paedophile paranoia in the first place, not the imaginary PC brigade who end up being blamed for its consequences.

Pointing the finger at the Daily Mail for totally irrelevant things that they may or may not have done is classic diversion.

You lose, pay up!

Tilda Swinton played a part which was that of an Asian man in Dr Strange. There was a furore over this about Hollywood being racist. But anybody who comments about a black Santa is derided as racist (haven't got the reference but I saw it in the last few days). The contrast is that cries of cultural appropriation only seem to go in one direction (I don't buy this at all, btw. Let people make references to/use other cultural memes as much as they want as far as I'm concerned)
    So when people complain about a white person playing a black character is a furore, but when people complain about a black person playing a white character they're just commenting.

Glad you cleared that up, here was me thinking you were applying a double standard.

You're a hero. A warrior even.

Your weapon is a keyboard.

They need a term for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Santa Claus is still alive & well in the Billy household tradition. Which is more than can be said for the puppy that Santy was supposedly bringing to my two kids today. Keeping him in a box in the shed for the past few weeks turned out not to be the best of ideas.

Anyway, I rebranded the present as Schrödinger's Puppy. You should have seen their little faces light up this morning. Well, 50% of them.

Santa Claus is still alive & well in the Billy household tradition. Which is more than can be said for the puppy that Santy was supposedly bringing to my two kids today. Keeping him in a box in the shed for the past few weeks turned out not to be the best of ideas.

Anyway, I rebranded the present as Schrödinger's Puppy. You should have seen their little faces light up this morning. Well, 50% of them.

I can imagine it. And I can't imagine it.

You're a hero. A warrior even.

Your weapon is a keyboard.

They need a term for that.

A keyboard hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

But if you have a black santa AND a white one, won't even the kids twig that one of them can't be real.

Anyway, how could santa be black when he originates/lives in the f*uckin NORTH POLE. Ever seen a black eskimo?

learn_more wrote: »
    But if you have a black santa AND a white one, won't even the kids twig that one of them can't be real.

Anyway, how could santa be black when he originates/lives in the f*uckin NORTH POLE. Ever seen a black eskimo?

Is Santa non-binary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Arghus wrote: »
    If he was real....
    You mean he's.......what are you saying?!

A keyboard hero.
    Touché

learn_more wrote: »
    Ever seen a black eskimo?

Ever seen a Caucasian eskimo? Any I've seen have had dark-ish skin similar to (native American) Indians. According to Google, they're most closely related to Mongolians.

So if we're being pedantic then Santa should either look Mongolian (based on geography) or Turkish (based on the original Saint Nick). Not the white Santa we grew up with!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PC is so last year. A thing of the past. 2016 is the year of Farage, the Trump, and indeed Santa....

Beasty wrote: »
    PC is so last year. A thing of the past. 2016 is the year of Farage, the Trump, and indeed Santa....

Gwan the Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'll take that bet :D

You lost the bet and the examples you provide, unsurprisingly, are not attributable to political correctness. Those are examples of child protection (perhaps a little OTT) not PCGM.

Those who rail against "special snowflakes" are perhaps the most eternally butthurt people on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

You lost the bet and the examples you provide, unsurprisingly, are not attributable to political correctness. Those are examples of child protection (perhaps a little OTT) not PCGM.

Those who rail against "special snowflakes" are perhaps the most eternally butthurt people on the internet.

Bollocks i did.
    neris wrote: »
    its happened already. kids dont get to sit on santas knee anymore in a lot of places
    You're on a thread where someone has imagined fictional complaints about Santa to rail against. Who are the serial whingers here? I'd bet good money this thing about not being allowed sit on Santa's lap is also a figment of someone's imagination as well.

Read the thread before talking through your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

indioblack wrote: »
    You mean he's.......what are you saying?!

:eek: Don't even go there, of all days, think of the children!

For all ye know, maybe he has arthritis :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bollocks i did.

You lost the bet because you don't understand the difference between Political Correctness and Child Protection.

Here you go.
    political correctness

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I’m always amused by people who complain about the commercialization of Christmas as if it’s a recent phenomenon. Hell, Santa Claus wasn’t fat, jolly, or even dressed in red until Coca Cola introduced the character in a 1930s advertising campaign. Read about it here:

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/20/506215632/how-red-and-green-became-the-colors-of-christmas

For that matter, the holiday itself wasn’t widely celebrated in the English-speaking world until the mid-nineteenth century. As Ronald Hutton remarks in the chapter “The Reinvention of Christmas” in his book The Stations of the Sun: A History of the Ritual Year in Britain (OUP), “In twenty of the years between 1790 and 1835 The Times did not mention the festival, and it never referred to it with enthusiasm. To the fashionable world it was increasingly an anachronism, and a bore.” A great book, by the way.

Happy Festivus everyone …

Cheers,

Ac

Advertisement