Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I wouldn't worry about your position in Sundays race. Look at it as a great training run. You'll need to be up for it going to the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just enjoy the run, the course isnt too bad, conditions won't be as bad as last year... It's better then sitting in the bushes with a Pink kids umbrella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Dont worry about the weekend. Take it as a good tempo. Races always bring your fitness on so it will stand to you. Nice course just enjoy it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1, to what is said above, when i cam back from injury i used races to get my fitness back and get up to speed. They bring you on more than any session will. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    It's better then sitting in the bushes with a Pink kids umbrella.

I'll second that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Think off the amount of lads in beds dying sunday morning giving your all. I hate xcountry. Rem a lad that drops out and there will be some means in fact you dont finish last. A session is a session.
    Great choice in dinners.....I would have done the session first though....Would you be a borza man ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Would you be a borza man ??

The answer must be a no as I've no idea what a borza is

I ended up taking Thursday off through necessity and Friday through laziness, so it'll be another 5 day week but probably no harm, I've yet to have a step back week, so I guess this is it.

5 miles this evening followed by 4x115 meter strides, felt a little rusty but was bouncing around happily after.

The day kind of got away from me today, went to watch a race in the morning, then my nephew had his first birthday party and then my own little one was acting up till we got her asleep at 7:30, so I chose not to do a long run and went for yet another 5 miles easy which ties in lovely with a step back week.
    Really going to try and make next week a super super week as I've only 3 weeks left till the 1/2.

Woddle wrote: »
    Sun -12 miles (2 miles easy + 5x5 mins @ tempo with 1 min rest + 7 miles 1 hr easy)

Finally got this session done today. I made up my mind yesterday to have a bit of a training blitz this week, target is 50 miles including 3 sessions.
    I'm a great man for the plans just have to start following through. :D
    This is the right week for a training blitz given that it's only 3 weeks away to the race.
    Session went well but I reckon I held back a little knowing that I still had an hour of easy running after the session. My average for the 25 mins of hard running was 7'06 pace. I found the 1 min recovery jog tough but just about manageable.

Finally got this session done today. I made up my mind yesterday to have a bit of a training blitz this week, target is 50 miles including 3 sessions.
    I'm a great man for the plans just have to start following through. :D
    This is the right week for a training blitz given that it's only 3 weeks away to the race.
    Session went well but I reckon I held back a little knowing that I still had an hour of easy running after the session. My average for the 25 mins of hard running was 7'06 pace. I found the 1 min recovery jog tough but just about manageable.
    consistency over blitz man, don't go too mad now and end up injured. Remember your A race is Barca .consistency consistency consistency

• Advertisement

consistency over blitz man, don't go too mad now and end up injured. Remember your A race is Barca .consistency consistency consistency

I have been consistent 5 runs a week for the last 7 and have built up to 40, so surely adding an extra run and totaling 50 isn't such a big leap? and I'm positive my body can take it, maybe the words blitz is not so accurate.
    Nice times on your 800 by the way.

I have been consistent 5 runs a week for the last 7 and have built up to 40, so surely adding an extra run and totaling 50 isn't such a big leap? and I'm positive my body can take it, maybe the words blitz is not so accurate.
    Nice times on your 800 by the way.
    Ah yes you know your body better then anyone. I'd just like the structure tergat put to increase mileage over time. (I feel like Racingflat now commenting on your log)

Ah yes you know your body better then anyone. I'd just like the structure tergat put to increase mileage over time. (I feel like Racingflat now commenting on your log)

Your input is always appreciated and respected and if I'm ever been stupid I'm sure you'll tell me (well you just did :D ) but I think I'm good for this week, just hope I can follow through with it.

8.65 miles tonight at 8'40 pace, a little bit quick but was nice to have the company.

5 recovery miles at 9'30 pace, legs were very heavy but HR remained low which is good.
    Still plan to get the 50 done and I'm halfway now but I might just keep it to 2 sessions rather than 3, it'll depend on how the legs feel tomorrow.
    Now time for a few beers, just lit the fire and no getting up early for school :D

Legs felt great today, these recovery runs are really paying off.
    So 7.35 miles, 3 mile warm up followed by a 3 mile tempo at 7'22 pace, 1.35 cool down at 10 min pace.
    The plan was to just do 2 miles but when I looked at the watch I saw I still hadn't hit my target heart rate (182) so I put another mile in for good measure.

This evenings tempo was done at an average HR of 176 (7'22 average pace) and I've had a look at a 5k race from last year where my AHR was 187 (6'10 average pace), so I'm very curious to see what a 187 would get me now, may have to do the jingle bells to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Your back in the groove, some nice runs over the last couple of weeks, keep it up. Look forward to seeing a few PB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Legs felt great today, these recovery runs are really paying off.
    So 7.35 miles, 3 mile warm up followed by a 3 mile tempo at 7'22 pace, 1.35 cool down at 10 min pace.
    The plan was to just do 2 miles but when I looked at the watch I saw I still hadn't hit my target heart rate (182) so I put another mile in for good measure.

This evenings tempo was done at an average HR of 176 (7'22 average pace) and I've had a look at a 5k race from last year where my AHR was 187 (6'10 average pace), so I'm very curious to see what a 187 would get me now, may have to do the jingle bells to find out.

Good stuff woddle, nothing beats running to bring you on. I am feling the benefits of continuous running (and lots iof recovery runs) this week. If you're about tomorrow, I'll be doing an LSR from Rockbrook around Marlay a few times and back (hopefully 13-15miles total) at 1pm.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff woddle, nothing beats running to bring you on. I am feling the benefits of continuous running (and lots iof recovery runs) this week. If you're about tomorrow, I'll be doing an LSR from Rockbrook around Marlay a few times and back (hopefully 13-15miles total) at 1pm.

Cheers meno but I'll give it a miss, tomorrow is going to be hectic, not sure when I'll get out.
    The recovery runs are down to listening to you, so thanks ;)

Took yesterday off which put an end to the 50 mile week but I got out today for 11 miles which puts me at 44 for the week.
    Last night I put 18 screws into each shoe for extra grip and this was an excellent idea (thanks robinph), so no excuses. I decided to bring a back pack and put a jacket, camera, something to eat and a thermal flask filled with hot chocolate.
    Headed to Firhouse and then from there up the mountains and towards viewpoint where I stopped and had my well deserved hot chocolate, this was about 6 miles into the run and I knew it was all downhill now, it was freezing in places up here and I was thankful for the 3 layers.
    Having looked at the pics I took it looks like the camera needs a clean, I can see a few blotches.

5214710226_55ac276b50.jpg

5214717158_6480786fcc.jpg

5214126277_6b1f90cf73.jpg

5214128255_e33d0c341b.jpg

5214129807_4f1828f70f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'd like to see a picture of the shoes with the screws in them. Do the heads not press back up into your feet when they strike harder ground?

Aimman wrote: »
    I'd like to see a picture of the shoes with the screws in them. Do the heads not press back up into your feet when they strike harder ground?

Hi Aimman
    There were parts of the road that had no snow and ice and yep you could feel the screws (barely) but overall it was worth it, going up hill I was landing on my heel for extra grip, I was a little concerned about running downhill but again it worked a treat.
    I should add that I used an old pair of trainers.
    Also they are 12 mm screws and not 6mm which I had posted earlier.

5212871138_4232743925.jpg

5 miles easyish on the treadmill, I picked up the pace for the 4th one just to see if I can figure out my treadmill tempo pace for tomorrow.

Another good month for me so I'm fairly pleased.

October
    runs 19/31
    weekly average 25 miles
    month total 111 miles

November
    runs 21/30
    weekly average 34.3 miles
    month total 147 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

This logs gone very quiet! You're either training on the sly, and have the finely tuned physique of a running adonis, or carbo-loading for a big start in 2011. Which is it?:D

This logs gone very quiet! You're either training on the sly, and have the finely tuned physique of a running adonis, or carbo-loading for a big start in 2011. Which is it?:D
    Are we playing where's woddle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

5 miles this year. What the hell is going on? I hope you are at least still going to Barcelona to keep the barstools warm for us while we're out running.

Got back from a nice weekend in Barcelona and I have to thank all the boardsies that were out there, you's got me out the door tonight for a run. Seeing and listening to all the satisfied bodies is exactly what I needed.

Myself and xavi alonso seem to be in the same boat and are both doing the Cork relay so hopefully we can keep each other motivated.

5 miles tonight, hurt like hell but I'm delighted I didn't have to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Got back from a nice weekend in Barcelona and I have to thank all the boardsies that were out there, you's got me out the door tonight for a run. Seeing and listening to all the satisfied bodies is exactly what I needed.

Myself and xavi alonso seem to be in the same boat and are both doing the Cork relay so hopefully we can keep each other motivated.

5 miles tonight, hurt like hell but I'm delighted I didn't have to stop.

Great to see you back. Doing 5 miler recovery (9ish mile pace) fri morning/afternoon if you fancy a bit of company?

Advertisement