Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ulster v Connacht Fri 23/12/16 19.30 BBC NI/SS2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Give it a few more hours and Connachta will have it as a draw. Then a few more and we're winning the game. Someone is on boards on a bar stool :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

63049992f651_sf_3.jpg
    Snifter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

evil_seed wrote: »
    Give it a few more hours and Connachta will have it as a draw. Then a few more and we're winning the game. Someone is on boards on a bar stool :pac:

By closing time it'll be Connacht by 50 points and having signed Jackson and Piutau as injury cover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jackson and Piutau out,
    b.gud wrote: »
    evil_seed wrote: »

By closing time it'll be Connacht by 50 points and having signed Jackson and Piutau as injury cover
    Jackson and Piutau out indeed I would say draw.
    But they are not, and clearly with what I said above, I'll keep my 24-11

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Bazzo wrote: »
    As far as I can see Warwick is playing loosehead and Rodney tighthead?

I think awec meant first choice available team too, as in they're not fielding a weakened side.

Yes, I mean from the players available we are not really resting anyone except for Bowe.

Strange one to rest Bowe just as he is starting to hit a bit of form. Not that I'm sorry to see Stockdale start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    Bazzo wrote: »
    As far as I can see Warwick is playing loosehead and Rodney tighthead?

I think awec meant first choice available team too, as in they're not fielding a weakened side.

Yes, I mean from the players available we are not really resting anyone except for Bowe.

Strange one to rest Bowe just as he is starting to hit a bit of form. Not that I'm sorry to see Stockdale start.
    Looked like Bowe's nose took a pretty big bang last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm a bit surprised that awec hasn't given out about Henderson being played in the second row, which is obviously his best position ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that awec hasn't given out about Henderson being played in the second row, which is obviously his best position ;)

Me? Give out?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's really not enough bite to this thread.

Connacht fans, isn't this the same Ulster team that stole your prize possession Rodney Ah You, a much-loved member of the Galway community? Shouldn't you guys be furious? Isn't this a chance for some revenge?!

Ulster fans, isn't this the same Connacht team that sold you a bill of goods in sending up rubbish tight-head Dave Ah You, the man responsible for a 20% increase in Ulster fry prices in Belfast? Isn't it time to teach them a lesson?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

There's really not enough bite to this thread.

Connacht fans, isn't this the same Ulster team that stole your prize possession Rodney Ah You, a much-loved member of the Galway community? Shouldn't you guys be furious? Isn't this a chance for some revenge?!

Ulster fans, isn't this the same Connacht team that sold you a bill of goods in sending up rubbish tight-head Dave Ah You, the man responsible for a 20% increase in Ulster fry prices in Belfast? Isn't it time to teach them a lesson?!

Letting Rodney go to Ulster was a thank you for sending us Niall O'Connor way back when.
    You are welcome Ulster......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Apparently the weather is really awful in Belfast at the moment. Considering that and that a forwards dominated game is probably Connachts best hope of a result, it might be a good idea to limit ambition tonight. Clear lines when needed and try to take Ulster on in the scrum and lineout. 6-2 split means plenty of forwards to come on too, albeit scrum is gonna be weakened with any prop changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Apparently the weather is really awful in Belfast at the moment. Considering that and that a forwards dominated game is probably Connachts best hope of a result, it might be a good idea to limit ambition tonight. Clear lines when needed and try to take Ulster on in the scrum and lineout. 6-2 split means plenty of forwards to come on too, albeit scrum is gonna be weakened with any prop changes.

The weather at the moment is really nice. Calm (ish), warm and not raining. It must be the eye of the storm.

jacothelad wrote: »
    The weather at the moment is really nice. Calm (ish), warm and not raining. It must be the eye of the storm.

Oh right, I read elsewhere something about how bad the storm was but I guess they were being sarcastic if it's like that at the moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clearing their lines by running with the ball until the danger has passed?

Clearing their lines by running with the ball until the danger has passed?

What? Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant Connacht shouldn't be as ambitious as normal from their own 22. Play a little more of the old school mid 2000s Connacht style

Oh right, I read elsewhere something about how bad the storm was but I guess they were being sarcastic if it's like that at the moment.

Give it an hour and it could be like the end of the world...:D

So I was just chatting to Les Kiss there this morning in PC World. Sound lad, smaller in person but his facial hair is much more perfectly manicured than it comes across on the telly.

Anyway, Les was telling me that it was him that introduced Pat Lam to the owners of Bristol Rugby, Les said "Yeah Bristol were onto me if I knew any good coaches that might be on the look out. I knew Pat had another year left on his contract but everytime I see him he's giving out about having to put on this "I love Connacht" act and also that Muldoon is starting to weird him out a bit. Apparently John has taken to just showing up at Pat's house with mad ideas about how Connacht rugby can help the province recover economically. He pitched the idea of the "Connacht Rugby international Atlantic Acquarium" and had a 41 slide presentation that Pat's entire family had to sit through one Monday evening. The final straw was when John came over to Pat the day after the Pro12 final with adoption papers asking to become part of the Lam family. Pat decided at that point that he was making like a tree so the Bristol job couldn't have come at a better time."

Les also went onto say that while with the National setup Robbie Henshaw had asked him for some career advice and Les said just "follow your heart" meaning for him to go with his gut. He forgot the Robbie is completely literal like that chap from Guardians of the Galaxy so instead he ended up following his misses to Dublin to play for Leinster.

I asked Les if there was anything else he wanted to say, and he said no other than the entire Ulster squad had a sit down during the week to discuss how much better Rob Kearney was to Tiernan. He said it was unanimous.

Anyway lads, looking forward to a nice friendly game tonight!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So I was just chatting to Les Kiss there this morning in PC World. Sound lad, smaller in person but his facial hair is much more perfectly manicured than it comes across on the telly.

Anyway, Les was telling me that it was him that introduced Pat Lam to the owners of Bristol Rugby, Les said "Yeah Bristol were onto me if I knew any good coaches that might be on the look out. I knew Pat had another year left on his contract but everytime I see him he's giving out about having to put on this "I love Connacht" act and also that Muldoon is starting to weird him out a bit. Apparently John has taken to just showing up at Pat's house with mad ideas about how Connacht rugby can help the province recover economically. He pitched the idea of the "Connacht Rugby international Atlantic Acquarium" and had a 41 slide presentation that Pat's entire family had to sit through one Monday evening. The final straw was when John came over to Pat the day after the Pro12 final with adoption papers asking to become part of the Lam family. Pat decided at that point that he was making like a tree so the Bristol job couldn't have come at a better time."

Les also went onto say that while with the National setup Robbie Henshaw had asked him for some career advice and Les said just "follow your heart" meaning for him to go with his gut. He forgot the Robbie is completely literal like that chap from Guardians of the Galaxy so instead he ended up following his misses to Dublin to play for Leinster.

I asked Les if there was anything else he wanted to say, and he said no other than the entire Ulster squad had a sit down during the week to discuss how much better Rob Kearney was to Tiernan. He said it was unanimous.

Anyway lads, looking forward to a nice friendly game tonight!
    You do get around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

was awful about 1hour ago.  Seems a little calmer now.  Feels like the calm before some more storm...
    I am about 2mile from Ravenspan...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Kinda funny how it's the same Ulster that discarded Finlay Bealham and Conor Carey, and then take Rodney :P

Edit : meant be a reply to IBF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Lads who's Rodney. I know that Dave moved to Belfast alright last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Connacht +10 looks a nice bet, if nothing else considering the weather may preclude a lot of points being scored in the match.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Kinda funny how it's the same Ulster that discarded Finlay Bealham and Conor Carey, and then take Rodney :P

Edit : meant be a reply to IBF

You say funny I say insanely stupid and proof of a total lack of judgement by somebody. For it to happen is alright, it can happen, but for it to happen twice to players playing the same position maybe a year or two apart in the Academy is a sign of something more worrying.

Weather was terrible two hours ago. It has improved a lot, but I think there will be squally showers about for most of the day. I've seen much worse to be fair.

A dry night would be great as these two teams could serve up a treat.

bilston wrote: »
    You say funny I say insanely stupid and proof of a total lack of judgement by somebody. For it to happen is alright, it can happen, but for it to happen twice to players playing the same position maybe a year or two apart in the Academy is a sign of something more worrying.

..and Chris Taylor....... and Ross Kane not being used until there was no one else....and Simpson and Trenier. Same happened to McCall at loosehead. When you also consider that one of the current coaching staff told Gilroy he'd never make it as a pro player, that members of said staff sign or resign guys like NOC, Faloon, Windsor, Butterworth, McComish, Rowley and a host of other no hopers and injured players who never pull on the shirt it's a f*cking shambles.

How's the weather in Belfast looking folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Ulster bonus point victory methinks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Manshamed by Ulster's scrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Connacht not doing bad so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Both teams giving it a good bash despite the weather

Advertisement