Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ulster v Connacht Fri 23/12/16 19.30 BBC NI/SS2

Options
  • 22-12-2016 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭

After 2 weeks of European competition, where both teams won at home and lost away without picking up an lbp, we return to the Pro12 for the 1st interpro of the Christmas season.

Connacht are, unsurprisingly, plagued with injuries and Ulster have blown hot and cold so far this season this game still has the potential to be a cracker though with class all the way through the Ulster backline and Connacht a team that love to play a wide expansive game from 1-15 if the weather is good this could be a thrilling match.

Ravenhill is always a tough place to go for away teams and Connacht know this more than most having to go back as far as 1960 to find their last win in the home of Ulster rugby. After beating Ulster in Galway for the 1st time under Lam will this finally be the game where Connacht finally break the Ravenhill hoodo?*

Ulster| position| Connacht
    Charles Piutau|
    |Tiernan O'Halloran
    Louis Ludik|
    |Niyi Adeolokun
    Luke Marshall|
    |Rory Parata
    Stuart McCloskey|
    |Danie Poolamn
    Jacob Stockdale|
    |Matt Healy
    Paddy Jackson|
    |Jack Carty
    Ruan Pienaar|
    |Kieran Marmion
    Andrew Warick|
    |Denis Buckley
    Rory Best|
    |David Heffernan
    Rodney Ah You|
    |Finlay Bealham
    Kieran Treadwell|
    |Quin Roux
    Iain Henderson|
    |James Cannon
    Clive Ross|
    |Sean O'Brien
    Chris Henry|
    |Nepia Fox-Matamua
    Roger Wilson|
    |John Muldoon
    Replacements
    Rob Herring|
    |Shane Delahunt
    Callum Black|
    |Tom McCartney
    Wiehaan Herbst|
    |JP Cooney
    Franco Van Der Merwe|
    |Ultan Dillane
    Sean Reify|
    |Eoin McKeon
    Paul Marshall|
    |Caolin Blade
    Darren Cave|
    |Ciaran Gaffney
    Tommy Bowe|
    |Naulia Dawai

*probaly not

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You forgot the time :)

We need a sticky template for match threads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stheno wrote: »
    You forgot the time :)

We need a sticky template for match threads

Was thinking it was missing something alright. Maybe one of the mods can fix that

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Since 1960. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster team named.

Piutau, Ludik, Marshall, McCloskey, Stockdale, Jackson, Pienaar, Wilson, Henry, Ross, Henderson, Treadwell, Ah You, Best, Warwick

Herring, Black, Herbst, VDM, Reidy, Marshall, Cave, Bowe.

Decent impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bit hard to see past an Ulster win with all the history but you never know. I never thought we would be Pro 12 champs either so I'm going with my heart and say Connacht win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Bit hard to see past an Ulster win with all the history but you never know. I never thought we would be Pro 12 champs either so I'm going with my heart and say Connacht win.

Don't think the front five will have Connacht concerned at all. Will be a tight enough game but Ulster should be able to open up that Connacht midfield.

Has Poolman ever played 12 before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's a beautiful day here at the moment. Blazing sunshine and not too cold. However, there are ferocious winds forecast for tomorrow around game time. Speeds of 70 mph here and up to 90 further North in the Western Isles. There may well be considerable travel disruption although the main inland routes will be fine unless there is heavy rain to accompany the wind. Anyone coming up from Connacht should be aware of this and leave extra time for the journey.

It will however have a serious impact on the quality of the game. It's a real pity as given normal conditions it would likely be a fine effort.

Buer wrote: »
    Don't think the front five will have Connacht concerned at all. Will be a tight enough game but Ulster should be able to open up that Connacht midfield.

I think he did in his first season with us. Apparently he has played there recently with the eagles. Aki is out until Feb. We are in bother in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yeah a few weeks ago for eagles and he actually played centre a good bit for Connacht a few seasons back, can't remember if it was mainly 12 or 13.

C0R2AJeXcAE_WTi.jpg

• Advertisement

Ulster team named.

Piutau, Ludik, Marshall, McCloskey, Stockdale, Jackson, Pienaar, Wilson, Henry, Ross, Henderson, Treadwell, Ah You, Best, Warwick

That's a good team, pretty much first choice. Will be interesting to see what sort of team we name next week so.

I was chatting to Pat Lam at a function the other night. Much bigger in person, very broad shouldered.

Anyway, he has a great sense of humour. Was telling jokes all night, had everyone there rolling in the aisles.

I noted down a few of the best ones:

"Why did the South African scrum half go to France... DAVID NUCIFORA OUT"

"How do you make an Ulsterman cry... give 3 year contracts to Neil Doak and Allen Clarke"

"Why did Paul Marshall cross the road... he saw an option to tap and go and couldn't resist"

"What's white red and has terrible decision making and wears a 9 on their jersey... not Ruan Pienaar lol"

"My daughter wanted the Barbie and Friends box set from Santa. It comes with 8 different types of barbies. I said, sure just come upto Ravenhill and watch the Ulster pack... trolololo"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I was chatting to Pat Lam at a function the other night. Much bigger in person, very broad shouldered.

Anyway, he has a great sense of humour. Was telling jokes all night, had everyone there rolling in the aisles.

"How do you make an Ulsterman cry... give 3 year contracts to Neil Doak and Allen Clarke"

"Why did Paul Marshall cross the road... he saw an option to tap and go and couldn't resist"

"What's white red and has terrible decision making and wears a 9 on their jersey... not Ruan Pienaar lol"

"My daughter wanted the Barbie and Friends box set from Santa. It comes with 8 different types of barbies. I said, sure just come upto Ravenhill and watch the Ulster pack... trolololo"

All the while Les kiss is after releasing a statement that the most popular song in Connacht is the Communards don't leave me this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

21 injuries is almost as impressive as it is fetal position tears-inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ciaran FCUKING Gaffney!!
    Hell yeah!!

(sucks about Bundee though)

Edit: also Tom covering LH on bench I see

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Apparently on top of everything else there's also been a bout of sickness in the squad and the named Connacht team haven't even trained together this week. Can't see this going well unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Don't know if I'm more worried about Poolman/Parata at centre or happier to have guessed 16/17/18 (sub front-row).
    Ulster team is decent
    We'll get two or three pen at scrumtime, before the bench gets hammered.
    44-6  for Ulster would be my bet

connachta wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm more worried about Poolman/Parata at centre or happier to have guessed 16/17/18 (sub front-row).
    Ulster team is decent

So today is ultra pessimistic Connachta!!

Ulster team is decent

Our starting front row is well capable of playing 80 if needed. Centre scares me but in Pat we trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster team named.

awec wrote: »
    That's a good team, pretty much first choice. Will be interesting to see what sort of team we name next week so.

" pretty much first choice. " It's early in the day to be drunk....:D

The ones in bold are first choices in the named positions and may be starters but the rest are by no means first choice.

Given a fully fit and available squad, the ones below would likely start. In fact Connacht have more first choice players in their starting line up than Ulster.

Piutau, Trimble, Payne, Olding, Bowe, Jackson, Pienaar, Henderson, Henry, Coetzee, Van der Merwe, Browne, McCall, Best, Herbst

That's not to rubbish guys like Ludik, McCloskey and Marshall etc and Treadwell looks to have plenty about him but Rodders starting at loose head is daft when Black is available. It will also be interesting to see how Warwick copes with Buckley. It's as if someone is channelling BRian McLaughlin when making this selection. A tight head at loosehead and a loosehead at tight head. ffs. Why not in their normal spots. Wilson is done. Time for the P45.

Still I think Storm Barbara will screw it up no matter who plays. The team that uses the wind best will win. Up the jumper stuff with judicious kicking will likely pay dividends if it's as bad as forecast. Looking at all sources I think the worst will be through by mid-afternoon and winds will be breezy with gust up to 40 mph during the game.

"Rain moving east through the morning, briefly heavy in places. Clearer with showers in the afternoon and evening. Windy with gales along east coast, and perhaps the north coast later. Maximum Temperature 10 °C."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This will be good experience for the Connacht midfield that will take over when Bundee buys out the final two years of his contract to rejoin Robbie at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

jacothelad wrote: »
    That's not to rubbish guys like Ludik, McCloskey and Marshall etc and Treadwell looks to have plenty about him but Rodders starting at loose head is daft when Black is available. It will also be interesting to see how Warwick copes with Buckley. It's as if someone is channelling BRian McLaughlin when making this selection. A tight head at loosehead and a loosehead at tight head.

As far as I can see Warwick is playing loosehead and Rodney tighthead?

I think awec meant first choice available team too, as in they're not fielding a weakened side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Rodney v Buckley in the scrum will be a really interesting battle

Bazzo wrote: »
    As far as I can see Warwick is playing loosehead and Rodney tighthead?

I think awec meant first choice available team too, as in they're not fielding a weakened side.

Yes, I mean from the players available we are not really resting anyone except for Bowe.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This will be good experience for the Connacht midfield that will take over when Bundee buys out the final two years of his contract to rejoin Robbie at Leinster.
    You mean Robbie back in Galway in two season to pair with Bundee again eh? :p

I based my opinion on the fact poolman was a winger and missed his only game as centre against Exeter 2 years ago. I really would like he re-signs, playing him few minutes as late emergency cover, and now out of position wasn't a great gift IMO.

BUT I've just seen he has bulked-up a lot, 102 kg is decent for an inside centre, and as you said he prepared the conversion with Eagles... Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise. We need him or Robb to be such a one for Toulouse anyway...

b.gud wrote: »

Could be a bad night for Rodders if Buckley is dominant early on. Buckleys scrummaging has not been as impressive as it was before his injury in my opinion.

I based my opinion on the fact poolman was a winger and missed his only game as centre against Exeter 2 years ago. I really would like he re-signs, playing him few minutes as late emergency cover, and now out of position wasn't a great gift IMO.

BUT I've just seen he has bulked-up a lot, 102 kg is decent for an inside centre, and as you said he prepared the conversion with Eagles... Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise. We need him or Robb to be such a one for Toulouse anyway...

Poolman played centre a fair bit in the past, I'd say he has 15+ games for Connacht there albeit he was usually 13 I think.

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    b.gud wrote: »

Could be a bad night for Rodders if Buckley is dominant early on. Buckleys scrummaging has not been as impressive as it was before his injury in my opinion.
    He destroyed Irish international Martin Moore, who's ahead of AhYou in the picking order.
    I think SOB + Heffernan + Roux will make us more powerful than ever for ball-carrying
    Cannon will call the lineout
    Nepia was so busy against Wasps
    Marmion in fire
    Carty's confidence boosted
    Parata is a good tackler
    Back-3 all-international
    I was (like Aki) over-reacting earlier
    24-11 Ulster

Advertisement