Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster V Leinster Build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah my abiding memory is of Leinster playing Ulster around Christmas / New Year, and Munster in the warm up to the Heinos, or a couple of weeks after the end of the Six Nations.

Naturally the Connacht fixtures fell down the well of utter memorial insignificance until about a year ago. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yeah my abiding memory is of Leinster playing Ulster around Christmas / New Year, and Munster in the warm up to the Heinos, or a couple of weeks after the end of the Six Nations.

Naturally the Connacht fixtures fell down the well of utter memorial insignificance until about a year ago. :pac:

Don't think we've played Connacht in the past year

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There used to be one of these games in October before the first round in Europe and another round in April I'm fairly sure. I don't know why they changed it to Xmas time.
    Until a few years ago Munster and Leinster were always kept apart for the Christmas derbies, so they'd both play Connacht and Ulster. This was also back when Connacht weren't very good, so that was a game when players could be rested with less risk than there is now.

Was a bit crap for Ulster and Connacht though who had to face strong Leinster and Munster teams back to back year after year.

They switched it a few years ago, presumably to keep things fresh and possibly in the interest of fairness. It will probably change again soon, but with Connacht being good these days it probably doesn't make much difference any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So with Ulster naming a pretty much full strength side for Connacht you'd have to guess that they'll be sending a weakened side to Leinster next week.

Hopefully there'll be a full strength Munster and Leinster for this weekend then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Clegg wrote: »
    So with Ulster naming a pretty much full strength side for Connacht you'd have to guess that they'll be sending a weakened side to Leinster next week.

Hopefully there'll be a full strength Munster and Leinster for this weekend then.
    You think Munster would do the same against Connacht, in the overall scheme of things winning in Paris the week after is a hell of a lot more important.

• Advertisement

You think Munster would do the same against Connacht, in the overall scheme of things winning in Paris the week after is a hell of a lot more important.

Racing will barely field a team. Munster could send the 'A's and they would win comfortably in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Until a few years ago Munster and Leinster were always kept apart for the Christmas derbies, so they'd both play Connacht and Ulster. This was also back when Connacht weren't very good, so that was a game when players could be rested with less risk than there is now.

Leinster and Munster played each other most Christmas periods until they became the clear two stand out provinces around 2007 and the game was used as the HEC kick off warm up in October and the HEC knock out preparatory game in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Racing will barely field a team. Munster could send the 'A's and they would win comfortably in France.

As little interest as they have, I can't see them lying down and getting thumped at home.

Only a few more sleeps until this top of the table clash unfolds before us. I for one am getting excited, despite how heavy favourites Munster are.

The emergence of Rory Scannell as front runner for the Lions jersey with his above international level passing and kicking is sure to give Leinster plenty to worry about along with their enforcer on the wing Keith "Remorseless" Earls.

In the leadership stakes Ireland Captain Incumbent Peter O'Mahony will likely lead out the boys in red on Monday as the province look to build daylight at the top of the table.

The one area where Leinster may look to be competitive on the day is the coin toss. A worrying picture has recently surfaced of captain incumbent at a coin toss where upon forensic inspection it appears that he is wearing headphones.

znyjRW4.jpg

This incredible un-munsterlike behaviour goes against everything the southern province stands for and with Nacewa a strong anti-coin toss headphone wearing advocate it's advantage Leinster from the get go.

That is ****ing disgraceful. This is the downside of allowing the players to go up to Dublin where they're under the influence of Houdini

• Advertisement

That is ****ing disgraceful. This is the downside of allowing the players to go up to Dublin where they're under the influence of Houdini

It get's worse. His time spent around certain more "liberal" squad members has him "exploring" things now...

Peter_O_Mahony__Ir_1623130a.jpg

Very concerning from a Munster perspective but also an Ireland perspective. I wonder if POM's headphone wearing directly affect's his ability to stare at the coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster team is out but it's only that stupid video format.

Mixed between first and second choice but most of the internationals rested it looks like.

Bench is very weak.

Munster look much closer to full strength to my eye. Earls isn't there but that's all I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Munster team is out too...Very strong side and Saili on the bench

15672490_10154633055495240_8580756142127307512_n.jpg?oh=08da8f96fb3a1296403a660034dde0a8&oe=58EC813D

Effectively a Leinster "A" bench and Leinster missing to my mind 10 first choice from starting team.

Still a decent side but one that shouldn't trouble Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Should be a comfortable home win. First choice side against a severely weakened selection. Little bit disappointed Leinster didn't include a few more first team guys in the 23.

Will have to make it count in the Ulster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Munster: Simon Zebo; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Donnacha Ryan; Peter O'Mahony (Capt.), Tommy O'Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Jack O'Donoghue, Duncan Williams, Francis Saili, Andrew Conway.

Munster have a much better side out but I'll be interested to see how the packs compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If Leinster had a cup final tomorrow and a full deck to choose from then of all the players there only Henshaw, Nacewa and Furlong would start. Bit disappointed tbh, I don't think there was need to rest so many for Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glanced at the Welsh and Scottish teams, it seems Leinster are the only celtic team resting players. Which is a shame.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster by about 10 based on venue and teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster by 10 at least. First team against a second team (third in some places). Bonus point win for Munster

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Charlie Rock, who he?
    I thought Nick McCarthy was third choice SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Charlie Rock, who he?

Blackrock captain from 2013. In the academy I still. Same age as McCarthy. Always rated him as a better scrum half than McCarthy but lacking the physical attributes McCarthy has, needed for pro rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Charlie Rock, who he?

I think he came on at the end of a game a few weeks ago. Looked okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This should be a 10-15 point win for Munster. Much stronger side than I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Hopefully the Munster pack can remain competitive with Leinster's. Leinster would have to have the upper hand up front as they have more internationals.

Hopefully the Munster pack can remain competitive with Leinster's. Leinster would have to have the upper hand up front as they have more internationals.

Sandbagger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Sandbagger!

Well Venjur started it! :D

Advertisement