Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster V Leinster Build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Actually an interesting call for Leo if he can only play each international in one of the two upcoming games. Cause Ulster's pack is pretty ropey you could probably get away with some of the starters playing against Munster.

I reckon Ulster will go all out against Connacht so we'll probably send the As down to the RDS so you'll be grand either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Was the opening poster drunk, creating this thread...
    the IRFU have dictated that the front line players play only 1 game this festive season..
    Ulster have less strength in depth.. so I see Leinster putting out their first team against Munster, and their not so front team, but still ridiculously strong, team against Ulster..

Munster at home is a good advantage, but most of this Leinster team beat the All Blacks..

sober up Venjur...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Venjur wasn't drunk (I think) he just likes to stir the pot for inter-pros.

Well, if thats the case... Leinster by a million...

Will Leinster have enough to make it 4 in a row and will Darren Sweetnam get to pull this face again?

GiIg34r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You'd wonder when the teams will be announced - most likely Xmas eve, I'd imagine.

I reckon it will be a fairly full strength team for Leinster except for Furlong... he's been immense, might need a break... maybe SOB too.. not sure.. hard to tell, Leinster have huge depth..

For Munster, if we are allowed our front guys for 1 game, over the whole xmas period, i am not sure who they might drop... Zebo maybe.. but full strength for the home game...

What way does this "one game only" rule work regarding subs - if, say, Toner starts v Munster, can he bench v Ulster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What way does this "one game only" rule work regarding subs - if, say, Toner starts v Munster, can he bench v Ulster?

I'm pretty sure I read previously that it's more about minutes on the field rather than actual appearances, so it would depend on how many minutes he's played up to now. Although Toner pretty much plays 80 mins every week so he'll probably be completely rested for one of them.

good point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Don't think Henshaw and Ringtone will be able for the silky skills of Saili and the immovable force that is Taute in midfield, I'd say a bonus point win would be a good bet right about now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Isn't it that the national team guys can only play X number of games in each half of the season? I don't think IRFU stipulate when those games must or must not be.

But when you have games five days apart, it makes sense to use those as the rotation games.

Also helps that Leinster have Zebre at home the week after Ulster, so plenty more scope to rest guys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A fully restored Toner always makes a good impression.

Little printer joke there.

So we might be able to go with something like:

v Munster v Ulster

Kirchner 15 Kirchner
    A Byrne 14 A Byrne
    O'Loughlin 13 Ringrose
    Henshaw 12 Reid
    Nacewa 11 Nacewa
    R Byrne 10 R Byrne
    L McGrath 9 L McGrath
    Heaslip 8 Conan
    VDF 7 SOB
    Leavy 6 Ruddock
    Triggs 5 Triggs
    Toner 4 Kearney
    Furlong 3 Bent
    Cronin 2 Tracy
    J McGrath 1 Healy

Tracy 16 Strauss
    Dooley 17 Dooley
    Bent 18 Heffernan
    Ruddock 19 Nagle
    Conan 20 Leavy
    JGP 21 JGP
    Reid 22 T Daly
    B Daly 23 O'Loughlin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Isn't it that the national team guys can only play X number of games in each half of the season? I don't think IRFU stipulate when those games must or must not be.

But when you have games five days apart, it makes sense to use those as the rotation games.

Also helps that Leinster have Zebre at home the week after Ulster, so plenty more scope to rest guys.

That's the general rule I think, but there was a quote from Cullen saying the players would only be available for one of the games. Sounded like a more specific ruling. The Christmas time has always seemed a lot more "forced" in terms of the resting periods.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So we might be able to go with something like:

v Munster v Ulster

Kirchner 15 Kirchner
    A Byrne 14 A Byrne
    O'Loughlin 13 Ringrose
    Henshaw 12 Reid
    Nacewa 11 Nacewa
    R Byrne 10 R Byrne
    L McGrath 9 L McGrath
    Heaslip 8 Conan
    VDF 7 SOB
    Leavy 6 Ruddock
    Triggs 5 Triggs
    Toner 4 Kearney
    Furlong 3 Bent
    Cronin 2 Tracy
    J McGrath 1 Healy

Tracy 16 Strauss
    Dooley 17 Dooley
    Bent 18 Heffernan
    Ruddock 19 Nagle
    Conan 20 Leavy
    JGP 21 JGP
    Reid 22 T Daly
    B Daly 23 O'Loughlin

id be delighted to see that team in thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That's the general rule I think, but there was a quote from Cullen saying the players would only be available for one of the games. Sounded like a more specific ruling. The Christmas time has always seemed a lot more "forced" in terms of the resting periods.

I think it's more that the amount of game time is limited, i.e. the total number of minutes. And that's reviewed as the season goes on. If a players is out injured for a bit then the way they are managed changes depending on whether they need more game time or less to ensure they recover fully etc.

So Leinster might be told that Jack McGrath has 400 minutes available between the AIs and the 6Ns. They can then use those 320 minutes in whatever way they choose. Maybe they play him 60 mins in the 4 European games plus 60 minutes in one inter-pro plus 20 minutes in one of the other games in the period. Or alternatively they could play him 40 minutes in a couple of games to have him available in an extra one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think it's a pitch count thing, that's been shown to be fairly ineffective in the past in other sports and they've got a pretty high level of knowledge on that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    id be delighted to see that team in thomond

If that's the Leinster team Munster will win comfortably. Pack won't do it down there, especially the front 5.

If that's the Leinster team Munster will win comfortably. Pack won't do it down there, especially the front 5.

Are you sure you're reading the right team? Where do you propose improvements to:

1. McGrath
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Triggs

• Advertisement

Are you sure you're reading the right team? Where do you propose improvements to:

1. McGrath
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Triggs

You're right sorry, was reading the team for Ulster. I agree with your Munster team, that's what I hope happens, target both games but send the strongest team to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is a bit of a joke that a debt, which also happens to be a top table clash in a sell out stadium might have one team understrength.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

errlloyd wrote: »
    It is a bit of a joke that a debt, which also happens to be a top table clash in a sell out stadium might have one team understrength.
    It's also very confusing. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's also very confusing. :pac:

I think he meant derby :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

As someone with less vested interest in the Irish national side it is annoying to have forced understrengh sides. For the local Irish derbies I prefer first XVs please. There is always Treviso and Newport for rest & rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    As someone with less vested interest in the Irish national side it is annoying to have forced understrengh sides. For the local Irish derbies I prefer first XVs please. There is always Treviso and Newport for rest & rotation.
    Everyone wants to have full strength sides but when these games are played in close proximity at Christmas/New Years in between 2 sets of 2 European games and around same time as an irish training camp these games will see the rotation. Unless you change it that one of these rounds isn't an interpro then you wont see 2 rounds of full strength provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Everyone wants to have full strength sides but when these games are played in close proximity at Christmas/New Years in between 2 sets of 2 European games and around same time as an irish training camp these games will see the rotation. Unless you change it that one of these rounds isn't an interpro then you wont see 2 rounds of full strength provinces.

It's bollox. They are the marquee games of the league season and this ruins them. I'd be happy to see the European pool matches restructured within the season to avoid weakened interpros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It's bollox. They are the marquee games of the league season and this ruins them.
    They are marquee games but things will never change unless you change the games played at new years. Keep the stephens day/27th games as local derbies but change the games played around new years so theyre not always derbies. Then you will see these games more likely to be full strength sides.
    Theyre marquee games but you need to rotate players and otherwise this is time to do it

There used to be one of these games in October before the first round in Europe and another round in April I'm fairly sure. I don't know why they changed it to Xmas time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There used to be one of these games in October before the first round in Europe and another round in April I'm fairly sure. I don't know why they changed it to Xmas time.

Still are. Only they swapped the derby's around. Same weeks for derbys

Advertisement