Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clermont Auvergne v Ulster (Sky Sports 4 KO 3.05pm)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus christ
    Thre's no way he'd start over Jackson unless the pitch was flooded.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    For all the talk of Pienaar we need a big ball carrier. If losing Pienaar allows us to bring in an adequate scrum half (see John Cooney), and a top class destructive ball carrier then I don't think we'll be that much worse.

However if we can't sign an adequate 9 (nobody can make Cooney move) or a top class ball carrying second row (the chat is we aren't allowed another NIQ) then we're ****ed...

The first half today was embarrassing. The second half was better. I still think we CAN sneak out of the pool, but it may mean 2 bonus point wins or at the very very very least one BP win and a regular pointer to get us to 18.

18 should be enough. A win away to Exeter and a TBP win at home against a disinterested Bordeaux are both doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    18 should be enough. A win away to Exeter and a TBP win at home against a disinterested Bordeaux are both doable.

Ulster barely scraped past Exeter at home, away it will be a virtual impossibility I'd say. Again, a limited amount of bastard-grunt and athleticism up front has cost Ulster dearly. I can't see that changing over a short period of time. I'm pretty certain that if the back-line gets more time together they will begin to live up to their abilities but what chance do they have when they rarely get the opportunity.

I have been impressed with Treadwell. He's one big fecker and he can play a bit and knows how to put himself about.......but then so is / does Dave :( and he's a liability at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Also impressed with Treadwell, He is a right lump and someone I recon will improve with game time.
    Also wonder why we kept throwing to Van de Merve in the line out, he's not the most explosive jumper and surely not the easiest to lift. Clermont picked him of a few times.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster barely scraped past Exeter at home, away it will be a virtual impossibility I'd say. Again, a limited amount of bastard-grunt and athleticism up front has cost Ulster dearly. I can't see that changing over a short period of time. I'm pretty certain that if the back-line gets more time together they will begin to live up to their abilities but what chance do they have when they rarely get the opportunity.

I have been impressed with Treadwell. He's one big fecker and he can play a bit and knows how to put himself about.......but then so is / does Dave :( and he's a liability at times.

I think Ulster are playing better now though than they were in October. Plus Exeter will have less to play for than they did. Ulster can win over there I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Ulster are playing better now though than they were in October. Plus Exeter will have less to play for than they did. Ulster can win over there I reckon.

Compared to Exeters first season, when Leinster beat them 9-6 or something on day one, then went over looking for the TBP on the final day and got it.

I think Ulster are in good shape to be honest. They will 5 point Bordeaux at home and I think they've enough to get 4 away leaving them on 18 and well in the mix.

I was impressed with Best's post match interview. A lot of positivity and belief and still very much focusing on qualification. Hopefully Leinster can nil Montpellier in the next round and leave a clear run for the other provinces from our pool at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

errlloyd wrote: »
    Compared to Exeters first season, when Leinster beat them 9-6 or something on day one, then went over looking for the TBP on the final day and got it.

Yeah, we got the TBP but we had to fight like dogs to get it, Exeter did not roll over by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, we got the TBP but we had to fight like dogs to get it, Exeter did not roll over by any means.

We conceded a few as well, I remember that game being really gritty. It wasn't enough for us that year, but if it had been it would have been on the back of a serious effort on the final day.

True, but we still got the TBP. Ulster should be able to win over there. A simple 1 point win is all we're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Exeter won't roll over but we can win.

Let's just have a sense of perspective on yesterday. Clermont are 4 points clear at the top of the Top 14, they have lost once I think in 40 European home games and along will Saracens and Leinster and one of three teams capable of winning the tournament IMO. They beat us over there, we beat them over here. We scored 8 tries in 2 matches against them. Granted we conceded 10 (I think)...but we are definitely capable of at least 8 points and probably 9 from our last 2 games.

Let's just have a sense of perspective on yesterday. Clermont are 4 points clear at the top of the Top 14, they have lost once I think in 40 European home games and along will Saracens and Leinster and one of three teams capable of winning the tournament IMO. They beat us over there, we beat them over here. We scored 8 tries in 2 matches against them. Granted we conceded 10 (I think)...but we are definitely capable of at least 8 points and probably 9 from our last 2 games.

That's it bilston. Get some positivity going. We could use it around here! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

That's it bilston. Get some positivity going. We could use it around here! :cool:
    7185982993_008d1dac6e_b.jpg
    This isn't no happy-go-lucky Leinster thread, this is the North territory. We reserve the right to be downbeat about everything.

Advertisement