Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They have a copy of Deathsmiles for the 360 here in CEX Santry for €15.
    Not bad.

Someone should request it to be sent to another store, Santry don't deserve the sale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

If you are in the neighbourhood - Golden Discs on Henry Street Dublin is running a 10 titles for €10 at the moment for DVD, CD and games, mix and match - closing down sale. I saw a couple of racks of PS2 and DS games (I didn't look too closely so I don't know what is there). I think they are open a couple of days next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 is on preorder on Play Asia. It's not too expensive either.

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collection-vol-1-multi-language/13/70c7gd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 is on preorder on Play Asia. It's not too expensive either.

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collection-vol-1-multi-language/13/70c7gd

I wonder if it's a glorified portal for downloading the games, or are they physically present on the cart with no downloads necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a glorified portal for downloading the games, or are they physically present on the cart with no downloads necessary?

I think it's going to be a physical Korean release. Korea got a physical release of Battle Garegga on the PS4 when everywhere else got a digital one.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the one in The Square close too. Are they all second hand shops? Because they're right across from CeX in there...

How many times has Golden Discs closed now? I think they just need to stop now, same with HMV...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something you don't see too often, a PVM-2130QM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153126113617?ul_noapp=true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Something you don't see too often, a PVM-2130QM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153126113617?ul_noapp=true

That is a thing of rare beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I went to a gallery show in Limerick College of Art & Design a couple of years ago and they'd loads of those Cube TV's playing the various video exhibits.

Master of the Universe

Interesting looking cocktail poker machine for 120

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/rare-arcade-poker-table/11314485

Poker burn on the monitor, but at that price it might be a nice project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

sugarman wrote: »
    No, this one is only a pop up outlet store. Theyve said their other shops are business as normal and only a weeks ago they reported €12m turnover for 2017.

I dont think Goldendiscs has ever fully closed, has it?

I still find it strange they've never sold games/consoles in all their time, surely thats where the last bit of the physical media market hold is these days.

Golden Discs has never closed down. About 10-12 years ago when times got hard, they closed a number of their shops, but they kept the shops that were still making money. They have had a few pops over the last few years and it seems to be working for them.

They used to stock all of the latest PS2/Xbox 360/DS/Wii games and consoles, but they pulled out of that part of the market

Master of the Universe

I wouldn't even want to imagine how tricky or expensive it would be to arrange a 20ft container...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Board €20.80 incl. delivery @ Arrow
    Details over on BA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899224

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Two upright cabs for €750
    https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/arcade-machines-jamma/16003427
    Caveat is the flyback on the Xenon is gone and the other is converted to play driving games.

I know some love them but they are awful looking yokes,
    I wouldnt have one in the house.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I converted one to Tetris then sold it to Token, big solid machines but they are almost too big!

Master of the Universe

Yeah I have fond memories of the Electrocoin duet and MVS cabs, but the Xenons were never my thing. There's just something a bit off about the design.

I converted one to Tetris then sold it to Token, big solid machines but they are almost too big!

I wonder how many machines are original or conversions these days. Seems a good few are conversions. I know nothing about arcade machines. Are originals just hard to find or broken etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Electrocoins strike again!

It's interesting how they modded the racing cab with an old Microsoft racing wheel.

I wonder how it would feelwhile playing.

Doge wrote: »
    Electrocoins strike again!

It's interesting how they modded the racing cab with an old Microsoft racing wheel.

I wonder how it would feelwhile playing.

I would imagine, with MAME doing the emulation duties, it would work well with force feedback and the relevant games.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I wonder how many machines are original or conversions these days. Seems a good few are conversions. I know nothing about arcade machines. Are originals just hard to find or broken etc?

Dedicated factory original cabs exist (think Midway Mortal Kombats etc), but a huge bulk of machines back in the day were conversions too.

The Jamma standard was designed to be modular, so arcade operators would get new jamma boards in with games on them, a new marquee and just stick them in their existing cabs like Xenons, duets etc.

So the Xenons in those links would never have been an 'original' game if you get me. They were just modular cabs that operators could add whatever game they wanted into them.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Dedicated factory original cabs exist (think Midway Mortal Kombats etc), but a huge bulk of machines back in the day were conversions too.

The Jamma standard was designed to be modular, so arcade operators would get new jamma boards in with games on them, a new marquee and just stick them in their existing cabs like Xenons, duets etc.

So the Xenons in those links would never have been an 'original' game if you get me. They were just modular cabs that operators could add whatever game they wanted into them.

Ah I see, I wasn't aware it was common with other board types. I thought it was just SNK.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Ah I see, I wasn't aware it was common with other board types. I thought it was just SNK.

Yep, it's actually how the bulk of arcade games used to work.

Dedicated cabs are a very western thing. In Japan they mainly had rows of candy cabs and would just pop new games into them.

Things like Street Fighter 2 would also come with a new control panel (control panels on earlier candy cabs are also all pretty much modular, you can just pop a new one on)

I've even seen photos of tiny candy cabs like the Sega city with things like the After Burner control panel bolted on, looks mad!

Edit - here you go, check this out. That monitor is only 18 inches :D

sega_city.png

Naomi and the banana stick for Monkey Ball, steering wheel for Crazy Taxi and trad layouts for Virtua Tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think it's dedicated cabinets killed the arcades in the west, not consoles. Once Daytona and Time Crisis came out they got rid of all the JAMMA stuff. Suddenly all they had were 10, 15, 20k cabinets. Arcades could have had 20 cabinets at 50p a credit for that money and all the chippers, bowling alleys, swimming pools and little spots wouldn't have been cut out of the equation. Social aspect of arcade games should have kept them relevant like the cinema but any industry with Sega and Namco as market leaders was destined to collapse because while they'd a ton of creative geniuses on staff their business sense was bloody awful. Arcade biz killed the arcade biz.

Kirby's Adventure on the Wii, a pretty good game, served as a strong template for the current crop of very good Kirby titles.
    Hard to find, and fairly cheap on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/15793232

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

frasr wrote: »
    Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Board €20.80 incl. delivery @ Arrow
    Details over on BA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899224

How did the A&R heads fare with this deal?

I have to send mine back due to DHL customs duties unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Doge wrote: »
    How did the A&R heads fare with this deal?

I have to send mine back due to DHL customs duties unfortunately.

I didn't bother for that very reason.
    I always get mine from Radionics or pihut

Advertisement