Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plucky shop assistants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Mr.S wrote: »
    How can it not work? Just tell them to go away!

With a pushy salesperson, it's surprisingly difficult. See my earlier post. I told the assistant that I was grand just trying them on and that I wasn't interested in the promotion she was pushing but for the fifteen minutes I was there, she did not leave me alone for even 30 seconds and keep trying to get me to buy two pairs. Incredibly thick-skinned woman blinded by thoughts of her sales commission.

Is she an older lady? She scared me away lots of times if it's who I think it is

Yes!!!! I think you know who I am talking about, Lexie! :) I don't know what she is at. She is costing herself commission with that tack. Like I said, I was definitely going to buy because I had a voucher but if I had gone to that concession voucher-less I would have backed away and bought my sunglasses elsewhere. There's other places in Dublin to get Ray-Bans. People just want to try on glasses in peace and usually bring someone with them for a second opinion. A salesperson is barely required in this instance, people tend to know themselves what suits their face. The only thing you'd need them for is to ask specifics about a product eg. are they polarised etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Was she a hottie?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Hate pushy sales people puts me right off. In particular in the States. I tend to put my earphones in too and pretend not to hear. I find the ones in the States soooo false though and actually hostile if you say your fine thanks. Victorias Secret is one shop I love but God I hate the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

once got cornered into buying wax for boots in arnotts by a very good looking sale assistant

didn't even own a pair of boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I tell them I don't want any assistance and will ask if I need them. In one clothes shop that I use regularly I once even told the owner I was leaving if the sales assistants didn't leave me alone. I browsed and bought a few items and he now say 'leave him to it' when I go in. I can't abide sales people hovering around when I'm buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

bikubesong wrote:
    I can only speak for myself but I never viewed people coming in the door as a walking wallet or someone to be taken advantage of. Honestly, retail can be so boring when you're standing around folding clothes for hours - the times when I got to have a chat and assist customers were actually a respite from the monotony of the day. You can end up having genuinely interesting conversations because you're meeting people of all ages/walks of life, people that you would never have the opportunity to talk to in any other environment.

Apologies, didn't mean to paint all retail assistants as money grabbers.

bikubesong wrote: »
    I hate overly pushy sales assistants too, so I get why that annoys people, but bear in mind that those people could be under a lot of pressure to make targets or commission.

Absolutely no justification for pushiness. To be blunt, it's not my concern if someone wants or needs to bump up their commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I just leave the shop if the sales assistant keeps pestering me or hovering around waiting to pounce the minute I show an interest in something. It really drives me mad when they won't leave you alone to browse in comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Urgh, nothing gets me out of a shop quicker than someone trying 'help' me.

I can see your merchandise clearly so unless I ask for help, I'm fine.

Shop assistants making there presence felt and letting me know that they're here if needed is great, but when they come over and start explaining a product that I'm holding in my hand is just annoying.

People in gift shops in foreign countries are the worst for it. Just let me peruse, for the love of God let me peruse!!!!!!!!!

/rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I'm more likely to buy nothing and walk out if the shop assistant won't leave me alone.
    If I want your help, I'll let you know.

Advertisement