Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plucky shop assistants

Options
  • 17-12-2016 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Ashamed to say I allowed the will of a persuasive shop assistant to coax me into leaving the store with something I only bought half heartedly. She engaged with me the minute I walked in, asked my name, what I was looking for, fetched some stuff. Complimented my clobber. Likely on commission. I know its only an illusion and the whole tone of the exchange was ''give me your money'' and I felt like id just played into her hands afterwards, but she put in more effort than id seen anywhere in clothing shops. Usually all you get is ''alright for sizes?'' and thats that.

I dont know if i like this more aggressive style of sales. but it got results. for her at least. I felt like I couldnt say no. I was shocked at how servile I was being. she wasnt leaving me alone until i actually would tell her to. people like that can be dangerous, preying on your kindness and unwillingness to say no. bit like those chuggers on the streets. I signed up for one of those donations before despite not even wanting to.

I fully plan on bringing the gear back tomorrow anyway. and be more dogged next time.

what you make of those ''hands on'' assistants in the shops?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I completely ignore them. I don't listen to what they say and usually reply with "I'm fine thanks". "Just browsing" or something similar.Let them know straight away as politely as you can that you don't wan't to interact with them.

Actually when I'm shopping I usually have my earbuds in and I just pretend not to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

learn_more wrote:
    Actually when I'm shopping I usually have my earbuds in and I just pretend not to hear them.

Good trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Well, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to shopping for clothes. I find it difficult to get clothes that suit me, until I happened upon this men's clothes shop a few years back. It's a sole trader operation, the guy really appreciated the business so I get all my casual clothes from him. He likes to see me walk in at Christmas time like this year I spent €600 in half an.hour. But he knows what suits me and he'll say if something doesn't and just grab the cash. So I'd encourage everyone to give the sole trader some business this year if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The staff of the LUSH store, purveyors of stinky bath products, are notoriously enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

learn_more wrote: »

Unless they actually have music playing and can't hear legiimate questions.. like the guy in the subway line yesterday who was asked 3 times what he wanted before he copped it :rolleyes: Although they're still not as bad as the muppets I see driving with earbuds in - WTF like?

Besides, why pretend you can't hear them to avoid interaction. As you actually said, just politely say "I'm fine, thanks" and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Ashamed to say I allowed the will of a persuasive shop assistant to coax me into leaving the store with something I only bought half heartedly. She engaged with me the minute I walked in, asked my name, what I was looking for, fetched some stuff. Complimented my clobber.

You got off lightly, I was leaving a store recently with an item i didn't really want.At least you got a compliment on your attire.I got maced and then restrained til the cops arrived for my efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

People still go into shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Ashamed to say I allowed the will of a persuasive shop assistant to coax me into leaving the store with something I only bought half heartedly. She engaged with me the minute I walked in, asked my name, what I was looking for, fetched some stuff. Complimented my clobber. Likely on commission. I know its only an illusion and the whole tone of the exchange was ''give me your money'' and I felt like id just played into her hands afterwards, but she put in more effort than id seen anywhere in clothing shops. Usually all you get is ''alright for sizes?'' and thats that.

I dont know if i like this more aggressive style of sales. but it got results. for her at least. I felt like I couldnt say no. I was shocked at how servile I was being. she wasnt leaving me alone until i actually would tell her to. people like that can be dangerous, preying on your kindness and unwillingness to say no. bit like those chuggers on the streets. I signed up for one of those donations before despite not even wanting to.

I fully plan on bringing the gear back tomorrow anyway. and be more dogged next time.

what you make of those ''hands on'' assistants in the shops?

Just make sure that she isn't on duty, you'll buy half the shop this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

You don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    You don't?

Too cool for school no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Some people even leave the house ......... mad, I know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't do a lot of shopping but I politely decline any offers of help. I ask for a bit of space and say I'll give them a shout when I've picked something or need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Funnily enough, although these people are employed to drive sales, people often stay away from them because they can't be arsed having to deal with that rhetoric.

If I'm clothes shopping and I look into a shop where it looks I'll be hassled, I'll definitely give it a wide berth.

Similarly, I know a lot of people who've gone into lush and vowed never to return they literally try and guilt you into buying all the most expensive crap they have.

Del2005 wrote:
    Just make sure that she isn't on duty, you'll buy half the shop this time.

Oh I'm going in prepared today. Quick recon of the shop first to see if shes there, then head in and do the business. I've packed a handgun and frag grenades in case sh1t goes down.

I probably should just burn the place down as per boards standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I was in Brown Thomas last week. I've wanted Ray-Bans for ages but could never justify the cost but my sister got me a €150 BT voucher as an extra wedding present so I finally was able to get them. Went in and, my gawd, the salesperson was SO pushy. If the voucher hadn't been for BT, I'd have been buying them elsewhere. They had a deal where you could get a second pair for €50 off and she kept going on about it even after it was clear I wasn't interested. She also wouldn't give me a second alone to try on different kinds and just talk with my sister and mother about them quietly. She just kept handing me glasses even though there was a full display there that I was well capable of going through myself. She seemed to not be able to read that I was definitely going to buy and that there was no need to be pushy. From my own retail days, it's easy enough to tell if someone is just casually browsing or if they seriously want to buy. Luckily I got the ones I wanted as I kinda had an idea what kind I wanted before going in but it was such a stressful experience. If I hadn't a voucher, I would have been out of there without buying anything very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Ireland is still no-where near the level of annoying shop assistants that they have in the states. Once you make eye contact you're fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The staff of the LUSH store, purveyors of stinky bath products, are notoriously enthusiastic.

They're more like nice/friendly than forcing sales on you like the worker in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

boobar wrote: »
    Well, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to shopping for clothes. I find it difficult to get clothes that suit me, until I happened upon this men's clothes shop a few years back. It's a sole trader operation, the guy really appreciated the business so I get all my casual clothes from him. He likes to see me walk in at Christmas time like this year I spent €600 in half an.hour. But he knows what suits me and he'll say if something doesn't and just grab the cash. So I'd encourage everyone to give the sole trader some business this year if they can.

My Dad looks like wise, buys the bits and pieces from the larger stores but twice a year he'll go into the sole trader. If he's pressed for time they let him take home the clobber and return the items he doesn't want, then they charge him for what he keeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

"I'm grand, just looking, thanks"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

wakka12 wrote: »
    They're more like nice/friendly than forcing sales on you like the worker in the OP

That's true. Just really enthusiastic :)

I've a friend who's pretty hard up and sometimes he takes his little girl in there when he has his weekend custody of her and the staff give her free treatments and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Next are notorious for this type of behaviour. Let me browse please never works. Ended up impulse buying a pair of boots of them yesterday so the girl would leave me alone. Totally regretting it today. Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I was in Brown Thomas last week. I've wanted Ray-Bans for ages but could never justify the cost but my sister got me a €150 BT voucher as an extra wedding present so I finally was able to get them. Went in and, my gawd, the salesperson was SO pushy. If the voucher hadn't been for BT, I'd have been buying them elsewhere. They had a deal where you could get a second pair for €50 off and she kept going on about it even after it was clear I wasn't interested. She also wouldn't give me a second alone to try on different kinds and just talk with my sister and mother about them quietly. She just kept handing me glasses even though there was a full display there that I was well capable of going through myself. She seemed to not be able to read that I was definitely going to buy and that there was no need to be pushy. From my own retail days, it's easy enough to tell if someone is just casually browsing or if they seriously want to buy. Luckily I got the ones I wanted as I kinda had an idea what kind I wanted before going in but it was such a stressful experience. If I hadn't a voucher, I would have been out of there without buying anything every quickly.

yeah, mine was on me all the way to the changing room, she actually marched me there, checking up on me as well. But she was nice. not the type you'd want to punch or anything. just not used to that level of persistence from staff like that. I played along with the whole thing. I knew I only half wanted the gear as I walked out with it. dealing with the likes of her again, I'd be more assertive.

I think there's a bit of psychology in it, that they target the timid looking, unassuming shoppers that likely wont tell them to **** off, through lack of confidence/assertiveness or just politeness and people pleasing. I would fall into the latter, with a dose of the former in this case.

Her style of sales works for some, but I prefer to be left alone and pick my sh!t.

anyway, went back to the place today to get refunded and no sign of her. thank foockk

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

I worked in fashion retail for several years (might end up going back to it yet). I'm a bit surprised by some of the sentiments in this thread?!

If someone said they didn't need assistance or acted like they didn't want to make conversation, I would always back off. Nobody is going to hold a gun to your head and force you to buy something. I hate overly pushy sales assistants too, so I get why that annoys people, but bear in mind that those people could be under a lot of pressure to make targets or commission.

I can only speak for myself but I never viewed people coming in the door as a walking wallet or someone to be taken advantage of. Honestly, retail can be so boring when you're standing around folding clothes for hours - the times when I got to have a chat and assist customers were actually a respite from the monotony of the day. You can end up having genuinely interesting conversations because you're meeting people of all ages/walks of life, people that you would never have the opportunity to talk to in any other environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Ireland is still no-where near the level of annoying shop assistants that they have in the states. Once you make eye contact you're fcuked.

Meh here 3 years and I tell them the same that I say to any shop assistant No Thanks! They are more annoying with their fake happy go lucky attitudes that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Chewing the Fat, prequel in a way to the current Still Game (Classic Scottish Comedy). Chewing the Fat used to always feature this skit, loosely based on Dixon Salesmen and their overtly plucky attitude to get the sale, these guys always failing miserably to retain customer interest.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And then these sales folk moan about everybody shopping on line. Join the dots bricks and mortar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I was in Brown Thomas last week. I've wanted Ray-Bans for ages but could never justify the cost but my sister got me a €150 BT voucher as an extra wedding present so I finally was able to get them. Went in and, my gawd, the salesperson was SO pushy. If the voucher hadn't been for BT, I'd have been buying them elsewhere. They had a deal where you could get a second pair for €50 off and she kept going on about it even after it was clear I wasn't interested. She also wouldn't give me a second alone to try on different kinds and just talk with my sister and mother about them quietly. She just kept handing me glasses even though there was a full display there that I was well capable of going through myself. She seemed to not be able to read that I was definitely going to buy and that there was no need to be pushy. From my own retail days, it's easy enough to tell if someone is just casually browsing or if they seriously want to buy. Luckily I got the ones I wanted as I kinda had an idea what kind I wanted before going in but it was such a stressful experience. If I hadn't a voucher, I would have been out of there without buying anything every quickly.

Is she an older lady? She scared me away lots of times if it's who I think it is

Advertisement