Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video - free 7 day trial, 6 mths at €2.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Did you enter a UK address as your home address in amazon?
    You have to do that too as well as the vpn.

Yes. I'm a Prime user for a long time now and a Fire TV user sine the 4K version came out. For the record, I can access all content on my PC when DNS'd/VPN'd. However, the Fire TV and Sony TV app no longer work. I can only access content designated 'Watch When Abroad'. I'm also hearing other Smart platforms have the same issue.

With this new roll out comes a lot of new issues to work around.

So, buyer beware - especially if you have a Fire TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

That's a pain ...I only got a fire tv stick in the last few weeks and signed up to prime ...all good using it on laptop with a vpn so I was happy out when I heard prime video was now available in Ireland...not to be reset my fire stick and still no content on fire stick...only the Watch abroad section is a very poor selection...can still access prime on laptop through vpn
    Rang twice today one person told me full content is available through fire stick and just log out reset and log back in ...when that didn't work I rang back and was told the uk content is definitely not available in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stopped working again. It's a 7 day trial. If Amazon can't get it working for me then I won't continue into a full subscription.

Error 5505 every time.

harr wrote: »
    That's a pain ...I only got a fire tv stick in the last few weeks and signed up to prime ...all good using it on laptop with a vpn so I was happy out when I heard prime video was now available in Ireland...not to be reset my fire stick and still no content on fire stick...only the Watch abroad section is a very poor selection...can still access prime on laptop through vpn
    Rang twice today one person told me full content is available through fire stick and just log out reset and log back in ...when that didn't work I rang back and was told the uk content is definitely not available in Ireland...

It's not just the UK content that can't be viewed - Their own content - if it's not designated 'watch abroad' - can't be viewed on a Fire TV... Even with a new Irish account... Am trawling the web for a resolve...

On ohone to Amazon. Here's the thing.

The Fire stick I have is for UK residents.

This €2.99 trial is not .co.uk but from prime video.com so not supported as they're geoblocking me. Hence why things show up "watch while abroad" which don't work anyway.

That's that trial ended so.

Back to using Kodi only so

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    On ohone to Amazon. Here's the thing.

The Fire stick I have is for UK residents.

This €2.99 trial is not .co.uk but from prime video.com so not supported as they're geoblocking me. Hence why things show up "watch while abroad" which don't work anyway.

That's that trial ended so.

Back to using Kodi only so
    So will they have a stick for the Irish market or tv apps ....surely the stick should work when you reset it and we log in with Irish prime details...very poor launch with very little info...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    I just signed up thinking "Brilliant, finally a chance to use something like the UK version" but.... is it just me or is there nothing on it?

The tv show list is very, very small and the range of films aren't exactly incredible. Will they get around to adding more of the content the UK version gets I wonder? (Or will damn licencing get in the way)

There's a few different threads on this, but I thought the same. Quick call to customer care and they'll update your account. Simples!

El Inho wrote: »
    There's a few different threads on this, but I thought the same. Quick call to customer care and they'll update your account. Simples!

Can you advise how you're viewing content? And more to the point, are you using their Fire TV/Stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

Signed up for the free trial and was gobsmacked at the lack of content. I'll be cancelling it on the 6th day I think, it's not worth €2.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

At full price its €20 cheaper than a full Prime Account with all the extras.
    I'm not sure I see the benefit.
    Is the the Full Prime account videos available here without the need for a VPN now that they've released primevideos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Can you advise how you're viewing content? And more to the point, are you using their Fire TV/Stick?
    Laptop and Android App. All you have to do is call their customer care and explain you are an Amazon.co.uk Prime member and you want to access PrimeVideo.com.
    Deagol wrote: »
    Signed up for the free trial and was gobsmacked at the lack of content. I'll be cancelling it on the 6th day I think, it's not worth €2.99.

There's loads of content if you do the above. Definitely enough to justify the €2.99 with Man in the High Castle starting back in two days too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've had a Prime account the last week or so mainly for the delivery and exclusive items. I tried signing in earlier to take advantage of the Prime Video but the content wasn't right and two shows would only play, both exclusives.

Logging into the site prompted me with a message to contact support and ask them to change my account to Ireland. Got onto chat, first agent said they couldn't help, I got disconnect and the second agent sorted it out in minutes.

It works as advertised now. I agree with the above, the collection is terrible. Looks like 100 or so films and less than that for the shows. Handy if you pick up a 59 Sterling Prime sub while it's discounted but I wouldn't even pay 2.99 for what's there now, wouldn't touch it at 6 Euro.

Laptop and Android App. All you have to do is call their customer care and explain you are an Amazon.co.uk Prime member and you want to access PrimeVideo.com.

That's never been my issue unfortunately. I have no problem viewing any and all content via browser or mobile device (via my UK Prime account or my new Irish Prime Video account). And, as it stands, I'd never use those sorts of devices for home viewing. I view it all on my TV - and for Amazon Video - a Fire TV - which does not fully work. Further, the app is not available yet in the Play Store for my Android TV box or available for my Sony Smart TV.

So in short, Amazon have released a service globally with significantly reduced content and serious access and viewing limitations. Not good. I have a ticked logged with Amazon support regarding Fire TV functionality. Spent an hour on the phone this evening with them. They had no idea. So, we shall see how they get on before the 21st when the free trial ends...

For now, the missus is doing her nut as we're two episodes into the current season of Mozart.... May have to 'acquire' elsewhere....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Del007 wrote: »
    Sign up with an account for a month (you get a free month), cancel it. Then after 1 month, open up another amazon account with a new email address and do the same :)

You realize it's €3 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

My fire stick has vanished, what can I watch it on?
    I have a roku, it's supposed to be on that but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    You realize it's €3 a month?

She's talking about actual prime which gives you a 30 day trial.

This prime video gives you 7 days of a trial.
    Deagol wrote: »

You can cancel right now and still get your 7 days free. I did earlier. Everything on it I've seen that I'm interested in pretty much.

Can I ask what number people are using to contact Amazon...I rang a uk number and they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot...i sent a email them to set my fire stick up...and I got a email back with a list of benefits of joining prime and to contact them to join ...even though I am paying for prime..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Can I ask what number people are using to contact Amazon...I rang a uk number and they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot...i sent a email them to set my fire stick up...and I got a email back with a list of benefits of joining prime and to contact them to join ...even though I am paying for prime..
    I contacted the chat service on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

There's loads of content if you do the above. Definitely enough to justify the €2.99 with Man in the High Castle starting back in two days too!

This is all extremely confusing, most people seem to be saying the Irish content vs the UK is drastically reduced when taking just prime video however are you saying that if you have full UK Prime access and contact Amazon to perform some hokum that you end up with content similar to the UK? Your posts are just a bit unclear.

I have been on the phone with them the last 20 minutes still no joy ....now my firestick is not working at all...no content what so ever...a problem with registration ...still the same on web browser as in unable to play prime videos...with my account .they are having issues transferring my prime account over to the Irish one...the reason being is my account details are registered for uk prime...

• Advertisement

Update ...well not really ..no better off even after an hour on the phone with lovely Jenny. In fairness she did try a lot of stuff to try and fix it..we got the fire stick working again but as before only able to play amazon programs..we tried changing my account to .com instead of uk no joy..
    So what I would need to do is cancel my uk prime sub ...and take out an Irish amazon prime sub ...currently my fire stick is registered to a uk prime account so won't work....she also informed me the Irish amazon prime sub does not work currently on a firestick and no apps for tv or apple products in Irish market..
    So more confused as ever...my firestick is still showing the error due to geo restrictions...
    So that's it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

For the people with UK Prime - is it still working with an altered DNS or a VPN?

It seems like the Prime Video available in Ireland is a bit of a turd?

For the people with UK Prime - is it still working with an altered DNS or a VPN?

It seems like the Prime Video available in Ireland is a bit of a turd?
    Yes still working with vpn on laptop...the girl I spoke to wasn't even aware prime video was now available in Ireland...so unless I change my prime from uk to Irish one I still have same content...stupid we can use firestick for Irish prime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

Thanks people for the useful comments, I dont think I will try it.
    I always get suspicious when a company sell a variation of a product and you are never sure of what you are getting.

I got an email back from Prime.Video themselves.

Basically if you've a Firestick in the ROi you're out of luck. It just won't work.

I cancelled my trial. Fyi, Amazon will tell you that you don't have one anyway because the trial is with .Com not .Co.uk. Neither team can see the others customer info.

Back to Kodi so which I had to reinstall twice since they got me to factory reset it twice.

Yes still working with vpn on laptop...the girl I spoke to wasn't even aware prime video was now available in Ireland...so unless I change my prime from uk to Irish one I still have same content...stupid we can use firestick for Irish prime

Had you been previously using the firestick for UK prime or just for Netflix and the like?

Berty wrote: »
    I got an email back from Prime.Video themselves.

Basically if you've a Firestick in the ROi you're out of luck. It just won't work.

I cancelled my trial. Fyi, Amazon will tell you that you don't have one anyway because the trial is with .Com not .Co.uk. Neither team can see the others customer info.

Back to Kodi so which I had to reinstall twice since they got me to factory reset it twice.

Pretty much this. The ONLY way you can view is via laptop, iOS, Android, Fire Tablet and an arbitrary set of Smart TV platforms. Arbitrary as there's no set list of compatible sets or platforms considering that many manufacturers geo-block access to smart apps themselves.

If using an Amazon Fire - and are either a UK Prime customer (and were using a VPN) or a new Prime Video Irish customer, you can ONLY view "Watch While Abroad" content. They have successfully turned the Fire TV into an expensive plastic beermat.

So. To conclude this sorry mess, Amazon Instant Video is no longer useful or worth the €2.99 subscription as I have no viable way of viewing on my TV. Shame.

Lads - I'm trying to make sense of this because I was thinking about subscribing (although rapidly diminishing!). Can someone tell me if the below is correct:

Irish "primevideo.com" subscription
    Won't work on fire stick of fire tv
    Will work on laptop, iOS, android and a few random smart tv sets
    Very limited content

UK "amazon.co.uk" prime subscription
    Will work on laptop with VPN
    Won't work on iOS, android or smart tv sets due to geo locking
    Will only work in "abroad mode" (very limited content) with fire stick and fire tv

Is the above correct?

And a question: Any way of sharing a vpn around the house to allow all the devices benefit?

Very limited content

Had you been previously using the firestick for UK prime or just for Netflix and the like?
    I can get Netflix and I can get amazons own made programs but nothing else no music nothing...
    Very limited as is the new prime service...

• Advertisement

Lads - I'm trying to make sense of this because I was thinking about subscribing (although rapidly diminishing!). Can someone tell me if the below is correct:

Irish "primevideo.com" subscription
    Won't work on fire stick of fire tv
    Will work on laptop, iOS, android and a few random smart tv sets
    Very limited content

UK "amazon.co.uk" prime subscription
    Will work on laptop with VPN
    Won't work on iOS, android or smart tv sets due to geo locking
    Will only work in "abroad mode" (very limited content) with fire stick and fire tv

Is the above correct?

And a question: Any way of sharing a vpn around the house to allow all the devices benefit?

Very limited content
    Yes all above is correct...as for the vpn I am unsure ..I use an app on iPad which mirrors onto my tv

Advertisement