Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londonderry

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'd be guilty of calling it Londonderry to wind up the barstoolers now and again myself, but try telling somebody in Park or Feeney they live in County Londonderry, see how you get on :p

Yes indeed, hence the point about the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Derry-Londonderry is a dive. Excessively run down with nobody from police or the council wanting to enter large parts of the City.

Are you posting from the 70's or something?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If we're to get all historical about it, it should be called County Coleraine, Desertmartin should be given back to Tyrone(if they want it) and the west bank of the Foyle should be given back to Donegal.

Except Creggan Heights and Ballymagroarty, the Brits can keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

road_high wrote: »
    Visited Derry on a very wet miserable September day a few years ago and to be honest I was actually taken aback about how deprived it and the people appeared. There was definitely a very working class element, id say there must be a huge proportion on disability. Struggled to find anywhere nice lunch for lunch (it was raining). Eventually had pizza on plastic trays in the shopping centre. TBH I said my own little city of Kilkenny was streets ahead in terms of being a nice place to visit.
    It's full of bookies, pawn shops, pound shops - not a great combination.
    I'd love to go back though as I feel missed a lot of it or something.

You should see Strabane (actually, don't bother!)

Seriously, yeah it is a bit deprived but I'd say not that different to some run down cities in the North of England.

Stroke city all right, the DLA is the Derry Living Allowance. People are well up on every welfare payment and how to get the most cash, but that's no different to deprived areas in Dublin etc.

Used to work as an accountant there and you'd see people getting all their welfare entitlements, Working families tax credit, housing assistance, working their 19 hours or whatever the limit was, getting another £100 or maybe 200 cash in hand. They'd be getting £400 or 500 in their hand every week, more than a good few of us working in the office.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

This is the worst attempt at trolling in the whole of 2016.

No Trump trumps it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Best thing about it is the walls and the siege in 1689. The rest is a dump.

Advertisement