Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londonderry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,251 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I live in Donegal and work in Derry and I don't know what you're all talking about.

Of course it has its crap areas but its far from the hell hole some of you think it is. No better or worse than any city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Derry did have the largest gathering of Father Christmases once back in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

KC161 wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to Dundalk's home games.

Been there a good few times with Limerick.

Never had a problem myself, but Dundalk and Limerick have a good relationship since the Colin Scanlon goal.

But i have heard that there has been aggro at times.

Not sure what that (or matches in Scotland) has to do with the Brandywell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

road_high wrote: »
    Visited Derry on a very wet miserable September day a few years ago and to be honest I was actually taken aback about how deprived it and the people appeared. There was definitely a very working class element, id say there must be a huge proportion on disability. Struggled to find anywhere nice lunch for lunch (it was raining). Eventually had pizza on plastic trays in the shopping centre. TBH I said my own little city of Kilkenny was streets ahead in terms of being a nice place to visit.
    It's full of bookies, pawn shops, pound shops - not a great combination.
    I'd love to go back though as I feel missed a lot of it or something.

And lets face it,there is nothing salubrious about Kilkenny.

Is Kilkenny a city?I thought it was a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

RayM wrote: »
    I like referring to it as 'Londonderry', just to see if people are petty enough to correct me.
    At least you acknowledge that it's a correction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jayop wrote: »
    I think the official name is Derry-Londonderry
    It's Stroke City.

Derry / Londonderry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

You're surnames not Lundy by any chance OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I live in Donegal and work in Derry and I don't know what you're all talking about.

Of course it has its crap areas but its far from the hell hole some of you think it is. No better or worse than any city.

I don't think it's a hell hole but I do think it's a lot worse than Cork, Limerick or Galway for example. My opinion is entirely subjective but I've no bias or prejudice for or against any of these places.
    Setting that aside, I'd also rate my home city Kilkenny streets ahead of Derry.

magentis wrote: »
    And lets face it,there is nothing salubrious about Kilkenny.

Is Kilkenny a city?I thought it was a town.

Who cares? It's leagues ahead of Derry whatever you want to call it. Kilkenny is not rough by any measure, the people generally don't all look like extras from benefits street, and it's not full of pawn shops and cash converters 😉. Oh and it's also full of lovely restaurants and bars. Unlike Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

And they are kips too.

The Brandywell area of Derry-Londonderry is notoriously bad for attacking any group of fans. And it's not Derry fans, it's the locals that don't take kindly to outsiders.

The PSNI can not protect people going into the area because they won't go in at night and the place is completely run down because nobody from the council go in either
    There's an interesting article on the historical context to the violence at the Brandywell...

It's not a reflection on the rest of Derry, though. It's run-down in areas but perfectly safe, though I would avoid the Waterside, the loyalist enclave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Waterside is not a 'loyalist enclave', it has a majority Unionist population, and the dickhead that is Gregory Campbell (he'll probably sue me for this:pac:) lives there, but it is just as hospitable as the any other residential area in Ireland.
    I attend football matches all over the world, and the yobos that throw stones at the Brandywell pale in comparison to most, if you want people to judge a town on its worst elements, then no one would ever visit Dublin.

Derry is vibrant, stimulating and welcoming, if anyone that has visited here thinks otherwise, the problem lies with them, not Derry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I don't think it's a hell hole but I do think it's a lot worse than Cork, Limerick or Galway for example. My opinion is entirely subjective but I've no bias or prejudice for or against any of these places.
    Setting that aside, I'd also rate my home city Kilkenny streets ahead of Derry.
    Kilkenny is barely a town and there isn't a looker in the county. The county should be its own province as it isn't fit to be in Leinster.

Jesus, it's a sure sign the world has gone to pot when an Inishowen person has to stand up for the muckers :(

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Kilkenny is barely a town and there isn't a looker in the county. The county should be its own province as it isn't fit to be in Leinster.

Zzzzzz...I'm loathe to get into some county point scoring rubbish just because Derry isn't very good, but facts speak for themselves second most visited county in Leinster after Dublin and 9th in the country. Apart from Wicklow, Wexford the rest of Leinster is a no go zone as regards visitors 😉.

The Waterside is not a 'loyalist enclave', it has a majority Unionist population, and the dickhead that is Gregory Campbell (he'll probably sue me for this:pac:) lives there, but it is just as hospitable as the any other residential area in Ireland.
    I attend football matches all over the world, and the yobos that throw stones at the Brandywell pale in comparison to most, if you want people to judge a town on its worst elements, then no one would ever visit Dublin.

Derry is vibrant, stimulating and welcoming, if anyone that has visited here thinks otherwise, the problem lies with them, not Derry.
    You're right, it's not an enclave, I was thinking of somewhere else. I know someone who lived there for a few years, and it was understood that it wasn't a good idea to go to certain parts of the Waterside if you had a southern accent. It may be nice, but I personally would stay clear.

Look up incidents at the Brandywell, they're not exactly a few people throwing stones. Derry has its good sides, but it can be a bit grim. Less of the dour, grim effect than some other places in the north, but it has its problems. On the other hand, there's a great spirit there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is the worst attempt at trolling in the whole of 2016.

It's a late entry but I think it's a winner of said worst entry award.

you should all go up to 'London'derry for Halloween, best spot ever!

bubblypop wrote: »

I've heard it's brilliant. The person I knew who lived there talked about people going around with balaclavas and fake guns and no-one, including the PSNI, batting an eye. Lots of nuns too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I like referring to it as 'Londonderry', just to see if people are petty enough to correct me.

Think the majority of the locals wouldn't find it petty to correct you.
    DrPhilG wrote: »

What he said^^. I have family living in Fahan in Donegal and take a trip up there 7/8 times a year (was up there this weekend as it happens) and always end up going into Derry. Always found it to be a fine spot to eat/shop or have a pint in while herself melts the credit card. I have driven (or been driven) through the majority of it. Just like anywhere else it has its good and its bad but overall there is far more of the good.

Utter boll0x to brand it a sink estate.
    bubblypop wrote: »

They LOVE halloween up there. Love it. If you want to stand out from the crowd at Halloween just wear your normal clothes. Everyone else is in costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Never really got this. Any idea how many Liverpools and such like are around the world. New England in the USA they seem to have not a care.
    What do you mean? How does that relate to it being called Derry or Londonderry?
    The pettiness is by you sir.

I don't see how the Brandywell being rough means Derry is rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the whole London thing only kicked off when the Shinners changed the name of the city council.

before that, EVERYbody called it Derry.

As a British passport holder, with several family members in the British forces/police, I make it my business to only ever call it Derry (when I'm with people i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The only time I have ever felt nervous in Derry was when bus dropped me off in a loyalist/Unionist area when trying to find one of the retail parks, only knew that by the coloured paving slabs, but even then just pretended to know where I was going, and just plodded on

Most fun I had up there, was for an interfirms football match, where we even had the British Army Helecopter as a spectator.

Saying that, have never had an ounce of bother or ever encountered any trouble.
    Visited Derry on a very wet miserable September day a few years ago and to be honest I was actually taken aback about how deprived it and the people appeared. There was definitely a very working class element, id say there must be a huge proportion on disability. Struggled to find anywhere nice lunch for lunch (it was raining). Eventually had pizza on plastic trays in the shopping centre. TBH I said my own little city of Kilkenny was streets ahead in terms of being a nice place to visit.
    It's full of bookies, pawn shops, pound shops - not a great combination.
    I'd love to go back though as I feel missed a lot of it or something.

You can say the same about alot of UK small towns/cities, in terms of class and line up of shops. As for places to eat, there are several places to eat both in the shopping centres, and a stones throw from them that are not served on plastic trays.

the whole London thing only kicked off when the Shinners changed the name of the city council.

before that, EVERYbody called it Derry.

As a British passport holder, with several family members in the British forces/police, I make it my business to only ever call it Derry (when I'm with people i know)

Have nearly always referred to it as Derry, maybe Londonderry a few times as a miss educated kid, big Irish family growing up in London, and a Nordie primary school teacher growing up in London kept me straight there. As for this Derry Londonderry title, have never used that, and only ever seen it in advertising or on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

And there was me all this time thinking it was something to do with the 17th Century plantation of Ireland.

Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I love Derry. Being from Cork it's a bit of a trip but Ive gone up for a few days twice. Excluding Cork for fear of being biased its my favourite city in ireland. Small but charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I used to use a large sub contractor in Derry. We were under strict instructions to not say the name of the city until the person we were talking to did. That way we knew if we should call it Derry or LondonDerry.

They were ****ers though and used to play games with us. we'd go to great lengths to avoid using the name and they would keep pressuring us to say it, then whatever we used, they would claim it was the other.

I had a colleague who was in his mid twenties, from London and black. He had to visit there quite regularly in the mid nineties and a black English guy walking around stood out somewhat. The guys from the factory took him out and he got to know a lot of the locals and slowly became accepted. He did end up having several conversations with guys in trench coats who were sussing him out though.

Our boss went over with him once and Will took him to the local pub. The poor guy sat in the corner ****ting himself the whole evening, the fact that Will kept calling him Sarge didn't help either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Londonderry

I had cause to visit Londonderry once and found the history and the intact walls fascinating. However, the natives appeared as inbred scavengers. It's as if the entire place has been used as a sink estate.

Who is to blame for this?

The impression I get nowadays is that the city is called Derry, and the county is called Londonderry. Unless of course you work in RTE, in which case both the city & county are exclusively Derry.

To their credit, the BBC tend to use both terms, as a balance to any tribal sensititivies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

some of the best friends I ever had was when I was in college in Derry, from both sections of the community.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The impression I get nowadays is that the city is called Derry, and the county is called Londonderry. Unless of course you work in RTE, in which case both the city & county are exclusively Derry.

To their credit, the BBC tend to use both terms, as a balance to any tribal sensititivies.

From memory, the BBC starts any report as Londonderry, and continues it with Derry.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »

I'd be guilty of calling it Londonderry to wind up the barstoolers now and again myself, but try telling somebody in Park or Feeney they live in County Londonderry, see how you get on :p

Advertisement