Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I have one trimmed short to a number two, fellas seem to like them but women usually don't which might explain why a large portion of gay men have beards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 guestb12345

I can't stand guys who are clearly trying to compensate for their lack of manliness by growing and having a beard. Guys who work in IT for example, they really shouldn't have beards. I can understand a guy who is working outdoors everyday having a beard, but a guy who works in IT... him having a beard is just him projecting a false image.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

I can't stand guys who are clearly trying to compensate for their lack of manliness by growing and having a beard. Guys who work in IT for example, they really shouldn't have beards. I can understand a guy who is working outdoors everyday having a beard, but a guy who works in IT... him having a beard is just him projecting a false image.

Damn pansy male IT workers with their big salaries and ability to provide for their family, should have went down the mines like real men

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    As it is the natural state - I suggest that you are asking the wrong question...

As an au natural hirsute male for 40+ years the question must be:

Why do people bother to shave?

I've been going bald and gray since my late teens so I started blading my hair. My beard is a 2 tone black and gray. My hair reached the point of comb over or shave so know I just shave the whole head.

A properly maintained beard requires more work than shaving and can look good, most beards are not properly maintained.

Then there is the fact that I try to avoid the latest trends, I used shave weekly when everyone else was clean shaven. I'll be fecked if skinheads ever come into fashion, I'd have to struggle through bad hair and beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

tonygun wrote: »
    Damn pansy male IT workers with their big salaries and ability to provide for their family, should have went down the mines like real men

Ya, but they don't make big salaries. You'd make more money down the mines back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know a guy who has a very unkept beard during the Winter and shaves it off in Summer,a bit like sheep and sheep shearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

learn_more wrote: »
    Ya, but they don't make big salaries. You'd make more money down the mines back in the day.

On average they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The hair that naturally grows out of a mans face is unnatural, so they should shave every day to look more natural??

People actually think the natural state of a man is to be shaven. It's a bonkers leap of non logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

You can't beat a bit of beard rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

The only problem with beards is the fu45ers who can't grow one and complain that they ain't cool. Real men grow beards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Decided to grow one a few times but the itch after about 2 weeks drives me mad so always end up shaving it off, never shave bare though always have a bit of stubble.
    Get a beard trimmer. Trim your beard back when it starts itching. Depending on how short you trim, that can be 1-2 weeks between trims. I have one of these, and use the fixed 1.5mm or 3mm beard combs depending on how short I want it. It does hair too.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    A properly maintained beard requires more work than shaving and can look good, most beards are not properly maintained.
    What kind of "proper" beard maintenance takes more time than shaving? Going for one of those fussy beard styles you can find in Victorian pictures?

If if doesn't grow evenly at first, trimming the excess gives the slow bits time to catch up with the faster bits. Once a week is plenty. It takes me an extra 5 minutes before a shower.

The way some folks in this thread are talking, you'd think that your only options were a clean shave or a face-hedge.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Virgil°

So the general experience here is that shaving is a pain in the arse and that beards are easier? I have to say I find the polar opposite to be true. I shave once my stubble starts to become beard-esque and its normally a huge relief.

My beard itches and irritates like a mother****er when it gets to a proper length. No amount of moisturizer , trimming, beard oils or just waiting out the "itchy phase" ever changed that.
    Also I've a naturally beautiful jawline so can't go around hiding that ya kno?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

turnikett1 wrote: »
    That said, I've been called a hipster quite often since getting the beard. That really annoys me. Young man with beard does not automatically equate with hipster and you can be sure when the hipster-beard romance dies out I will still have my beard.

I'm 33, and I've had a beard in one form or another since I was 16, barring a few interviews and other times I had a reason to have to shave, maybe a few months out of those years perhaps. I'm not saying my earlier efforts (16 year old goatee is not the epitome of class) were anything other than utterly ****e (they were gank, if I'm being honest). I just like beards, even if they might look gash on me sometimes, if I'm particularly lazy and don't groom them. Since then, beard popularity has exploded, and I'm regularly tarred with the hipster brush, especially when I grow it a bit.

To which my response is, "**** off, I've had a beard since before it was cool".

Oh, wait. I see what I'm doing wrong now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Virgil° wrote: »
    So the general experience here is that shaving is a pain in the arse and that beards are easier? I have to say I find the polar opposite to be true. I shave once my stubble starts to become beard-esque and its normally a huge relief.

My beard itches and irritates like a mother****er when it gets to a proper length. No amount of moisturizer , trimming, beard oils or just waiting out the "itchy phase" ever changed that.
    Also I've a naturally beautiful jawline so can't go around hiding that ya kno?

I have to agree. Beards itch like fcuk. They are so irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beards look great on some fellas but the really long ones look ridiculous.

In my opinion this one looks great and this one is just awful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Grayson wrote: »
    I have to agree. Beards itch like fcuk. They are so irritating.

I prefer dealing with the itch than shaving. F*ck shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The hundreds I earn per day working in IT goes on flashy motorbikes and holidays. I'll be f**ked if I'm wasting it on razor blades !! ;)

Mars Bar wrote: »

Nah the first one is a pure poser look at me, the second one is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I was thinking about setting up a website where men can chat all things beard related. Its gonna be called:

beards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mars Bar wrote: »

The first one looks like something you'd pick up in a next clothes shop. Face stubble is for teenagers. If you're going to go beard, go full on beard. It's not even like the second one is untidy. Beards tend to take on their own shape too, mine won't grow past a certain length.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I prefer dealing with the itch than shaving. F*ck shaving.
    The itch isn't a problem once you have a it on length of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

A man who shaves a beard to please a woman deserves to loose both.

My daughter bought me a t-shirt with that.

And a beard needn't smell bad...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I blame movember. it is (was? - there's very little talk about it now) a vanity project - look at me and my new furriness aren't I cool - the fundraising was only the excuse vain men needed so that they could appear not be vain - i'm raising money for, like, cancer - and I've got a website link and all. Those early movembermen, being lazy feckers, decided that it was easier to keep the beard than shave it off. Other, weaker men, looked at them and thought, they're real men those fellas with their big hairy manly jaws. I know, I'll grow one too. and then they just feckin' multiplied. there's a young graduate in our building who looks like the leaning tower of pizza there's so much hair, oil, gel possibly, and foodbits weighing down his face.

i'm only jealous though - if I grew a beard, it'd be the same as roy keanes' and there's no effin' way I'm walking around looking like a Cork fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Head, face, sack, back and craic ~ apart from my eye brows I'm completely clean & hairless.

I hate body hair, luckily enough being a red head my hair growth is very light anyway.

Filthy stuff hair.

So beards is the topic.

This current fashion for beards looks fooking ridiculous.. Skinny little pricks in skinny little prick jeans, hair wax and black rimmed glasses, total toss pots.

Head, face, sack, back and craic ~ apart from my eye brows I'm completely clean & hairless.

I hate body hair, luckily enough being a red head my hair growth is very light anyway.

Filthy stuff hair.

So beards is the topic.

This current fashion for beards looks fooking ridiculous.. Skinny little pricks in skinny little prick jeans, hair wax and black rimmed glasses, total toss pots.

its the beards that are the question not the skinny jean wearing tospots, their is probably more of them clean shaven like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

I don't understand the whole thing about men shaving because it itches, like your not gunna cut of your balls if they itch :D

I've haven't been clean shaving in about two years but I trim and keep it well maintained and never had no problems, an ex of mine once told me I'd have to shave the beard at some stage and I told her she would be gone before the beards gone. Thats why she in now my ex :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

To each their own, but personally, I can't stand them.
    I like neither the look of them on a man, nor the feel of them, but that's just perosnal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shenshen wrote: »
    To each their own, but personally, I can't stand them.
    I like neither the look of them on a man, nor the feel of them, but that's just perosnal preference.
    I feel the same for women

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

I've always had a beard/stubble and I think I look better with it, but that could be just that I'm used to it. I'm afraid to shave it all off at this point.

Funnily enough, I'm gay and I'm not attracted to any other men with a beard. Go figure!

• Advertisement

eaglach wrote: »
    I've always had a beard/stubble and I think I look better with it, but that could be just that I'm used to it. I'm afraid to shave it all off at this point.

Funnily enough, I'm gay and I'm not attracted to any other men with a beard. Go figure!

HaHa such a hipocrite, funnily enough if a women had a beard i'd be running the other way.:D

Advertisement