Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options
  • 10-12-2016 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

for several reasons, not all due to inadequate personal hygiene, the shadow became stubble which became fuff, and now I find I've cultivated a bit of a beard.
    Not a Parnell by any stretch of the imagination. A bit whispy in parts, grey/white in others. A bit like a badger with mange.

Herself enjoyed it for a while, "like having an affair". Better not have reminded her of one I said. Now it freaks her out. Kids hate it. And its as annoying as fcuk.

Got me thinking though.
    Why do people bother with beards?
    and do the ladeez dig them?

Any road, its gone tomorrow evening.
    I'm resigning myself to forever being unhip.
    Unless mullets come back, I could do something there I reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Always found them vile.

The Ronnie Drew jobs on otherwise effete, skinny student types must be one of the most punchable affectations of the decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My OH has one. He has incredibly sensitive skin and when he shaved in the past, he had extremely raw, dry skin despite moisturizing.

So now he has a beard. I fcuking hate beards but can't be asking him to continue with sore skin just to shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My friends boyfriend has a fair beard on him, she loves it. I have been with a guy with a goatee, I got used to it after a while. Not sure I'd like a full beard though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not sure I'd like a full beard though

I don't think it would suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We're just going through another period where beard are fashionable/popular, the last time was back in the 1970s and before that the Edwardian era. Beards, if trimmed and kept well, can look well on a man, especially an older chap.

Huge bushy beards on really young lads look ridiculous. This hipster look will be derided and cringed at in 15/20 years time I reckon.

I've had a goatee myself on/off over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I don't like the trend in jock culture to grow a beard, looks really aggressive. Think that's the point.

https://www.google.ie/search?client=opera&q=AGGRESSIVE+BEARDS&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And this ancient philosopher type look: ugg. http://www.mens-hairstylists.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/bandholz-beard-styles2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Beards are cack, like lazy fcuk , even a well trimmed one. Food catchers, tea cigarette stained.. muckskustin smelly beards :D

I was a men's hairdresser for over 20 years.. I dreaded Christmas with the mountain men in for the annual shear, whether they wanted it or not cos they wouldn't get the annual Christmas shag if they weren't spit shined and polished.

I love a fresh shaved, soft, hint of aftershave cheek. Snugable kissable face. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reason 1. Warm in the winter
    Reason 2. Don't have to bother shaving.
    Reason 3. Have you seen the price of razor blades?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Times be a changing.
    If a guy hasn't shaved in over a week it's classed as a beard and stylish.... Ten years ago that was classed as scruffy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The wonderful Roald Dahl explains it best.

What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays. When a man grows hair all over his face it is impossible to tell what he really looks like. Perhaps that’s why he does it. He’d rather you didn’t know. Then there’s the problem of washing. When the very hairy ones wash their faces, it must be as big a job as when you and I wash the hair on our heads. So what I want to know is this. How often do all these hairy-faced men wash their faces? Is it only once a week, like us, on Sunday nights? And do they shampoo it? Do they use a hairdryer? Do they rub hair-tonic in to stop their faces from going bald? Do they go to a barber to have their hairy faces cut and trimmed or do they do it themselves in front of the bathroom mirror with nail-scissors? I don’t know. But next time you see a man with a hairy face (which will probably be as soon as you step out on to the street) maybe you will look him more closely and start wondering about some of these things.

As you know, an ordinary unhairy face like yours or mine simply gets a bit smudgy if it is not washed often enough, and there’s nothing so awful about that. But a hairy face is a very different matter. Things cling to hairs, especially food. Things like gravy go right in among the hairs and stay there. You and I can wipe our smooth faces with a flannel and we quickly look more or less all right again, but the hairy man cannot do that. We can also, if we are careful, eat our meals without spreading food all over our faces. But not so the hairy man. Watch carefully next time you see a hairy man eating his lunch and you will notice that even if he opens his mouth very wide, it is impossible for him to get a spoonful of beef-stew or ice-cream and chocolate sauce into it without leaving some of it on the hairs. Mr Twit didn’t even bother to open his mouth wide when he ate. As a result (and because he never washed) were always hundreds of bits of old breakfasts and lunches and suppers sticking to the hairs around his face. They weren’t big bits, mind you, because he used to wipe those off with the back of his hand or on his sleeve while he was eating. But if you looked closely (not that you’d ever want to) you would see tiny little specks of dried-up scrambled eggs stuck to the hairs, and spinach and tomato ketchup and fish fingers and minced chicken livers and all the other disgusting things Mr Twit liked to eat.

If I ever see old footage now from around 2009/10, two things strike me - men are generally clean shaven and they generally have longer hair on the sides of their heads. I think the number of men with long beards has died down a lot since 2014 and the number of men with some degree of a beard/stubble in general has decreased in the last few months too, going from probably 90% plus to like 70% plus maybe? Maintaining a "5-day stubble" or whatever strikes me as a bit contrived and overly-concerned with oneself, even though maintaining it takes probably less effort than wet-shaving every day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Decided to grow one a few times but the itch after about 2 weeks drives me mad so always end up shaving it off, never shave bare though always have a bit of stubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I've always known my husband having a beard and we've been together a long long time. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I sometimes grow them because I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

If history has thought us anything is that all the great leaders have had beards while the moustachio ones have mostly been evil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

A beard is the only thing a man can do to alter his appearance. It's alright for ye ladies with yer makeup, stuffed bras and stuffed bum pads or whatever the hell they're called. So let the beard grow lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

A beard is the only thing a man can do to alter his appearance. It's alright for ye ladies with yer makeup, stuffed bras and stuffed bum pads or whatever the hell they're called. So let the beard grow lads...
    Since when are those things exclusive to women? ;)

As well as exercise, fashion and hairstyle which you excluded and definitely have the potential to alter someone's appearance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Since when are those things exclusive to women? ;)

As well as exercise, fashion and hairstyle which you excluded and definitely have the potential to alter someone's appearance.

That can't change your facial appearance though, unless your some heavy bloke whose lost a pile of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The other half gives out to me when I shave. I cant grow a beard mind, just a goatee and half a side-burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My fella has a short beard that I absolutely love. He was clean shaven when we met and has shaved it off a couple of times since but I find it really weird to kiss him when he is clean shaven. It's like he is too soft and it feels a bit too girly for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 guestb12345

Chaps who grow beards tend to have weak chins and jawlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You need a daycent face to look daycent with a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You know a lad is probably Irish if a few strands of ginger come out in the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I hate beards. I am disgusted by them. I blame reading The Twits when I was a kid.
    A bit of stubble looks good on some men but it can be kinda like sandpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

mohawk wrote: »
    I hate beards. I am disgusted by them. I blame reading The Twits when I was a kid.
    A bit of stubble looks good on some men but it can be kinda like sandpaper.

but you can store food in them for later.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Beards f*cking rule. Mainly because shaving s*cks balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

Don't like beards in general but some men look really good with one, Aidan Turner

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

ziggy wrote: »
    Well she is HAIRYprincess so it might :pac:

It's her mickey that's hairy.

Dave Fanning had a beard back in the 90s. It was ugly as f♡ck.

Advertisement