Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Sinn Fein right? (The Stack Issue)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jawgap wrote: »
    SF killed Donaldson?

I thought SF were a political party?
    That's the pretence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Seriously? If I was part of an organisation for over 40 years and knew if I opened my gob, I'd be killed, yeah I'd say nothing. Dennis Donaldson was a senior figure in SF in the north, he was martin Mcguinness right hand man, (generally accepted as leader of the IRA army council)and look what happened him. There was no investigation, it was just accepted that you double crossed the IRA and were killed for it. Seriously look at the documentary about it on you tube, it goes to show how secretive these guys are. I can't take you seriously when you think nothing would happen if people opened their gobs.

You need to try responding to what I actually post, not your own imagining of it.
    I didn't say that nothing would happen to Gerry Adams if he opened his gob. I said that this wasn't his motivation for keeping his gob shut.
    His motivation for keeping his gob shut is because Gerry Adams wants to protect Brian Stack's murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I notice Richard didn't want the discussion about what a journalist would do if faced with the same quandry on revealing a source. Journalists will go to jail rather than do it.
    A 'state' will keep secrets because they are dangerous to the security of that state.
    But when somebody from SF does the exact same thing as both above, to keep a peace process from completely and catastrophically collapsing he is a despot and a liar and a danger to the state.
    Rank and dangerous hypocrisy.

Adams is not a journalist, SF is not a state - it's a false equivocation to suggest otherwise.

You might as well as argue that if Adams was a priest sure wouldn't he be bound by the seal of the confessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

SF killed Donaldson?

I didn't say that and you know that. The IRA is suspected of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,987 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was asked for an example of SF victim blaming, I provided it, now I'm being accused of cherrypicking?
    Why did you ask me if I thought 'it was right'.
    Isn't in the nature of providing an example that one must cherrpick?
    On the point about the Irish state above, are you saying that legitimated the murder of Brian Stack, as well as Gardai and an Irish soldier?

Are you saying they would have happened outside of the conflict/war?

Phoebas wrote: »
    You need to try responding to what I actually post, not your own imagining of it.
    I didn't say that nothing would happen to Gerry Adams if he opened his gob. I said that this wasn't his motivation for keeping his gob shut.
    His motivation for keeping his gob shut is because Gerry Adams wants to protect Brian Stack's murderer.

Because you personally don't like Gerry, he's protecting a murderer. No other reason? Why did he ask for a truth commission? You know why.

Really? Then why mention Adams would be at risk from the "Belfast arm of SF" then equate his potential fate with the actual fate of Donaldson?
    Gerry Adams would be a dead man walking if he opened his mouth, the Belfast arm of SF would kill him, look what happened to Donaldson, look at the documentary about it on YT, Gerry in an interview that he knew he was a gonner and there was nothing he could do about it, touts are killed end of story. So trying to compare an unarmed woman being shot by a drug dealer and Gerry ratting up IRA men are two totally different things.

Why did you ask me if I thought 'it was right'.
    Isn't in the nature of providing an example that one must cherrpick?

Are you saying they would have happened outside of the conflict/war?

Let's leave it, you're not going to answer a simple yes / no question about the murder of unarmed public servants.

What matters not what might have happened in a hypothetical situation, it's what happened.......and when you wonder why people are so put off SF, you might reflect on their support for these acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

SF killed Donaldson?

Yeah but you said that Gerry Adams was in the organisation for 40 years and Gerry has stated over and over again he was never in the IRA so its a fair assumption that take from your post that it was Sinn Fein you were talking about.

And Sinn Fein is a political party and you normally aren't shot and killed for airing the dirty Laundry of the party in public in Ireland. I mean you'd probably wouldn't be flavour of the month but killed no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Because you personally don't like Gerry, he's protecting a murderer. No other reason?
    I doubt my like or dislike for Adams form any part of his thought process.:eek:
    Why did he ask for a truth commission? You know why.

I really don't know why.
    Maybe you are correct when you say he asked for it 'because he knew nobody would be willing to take part, especially the loyalists'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Gerry Adams would be a dead man walking if he opened his mouth, the Belfast arm of SF would kill him, look what happened to Donaldson, look at the documentary about it on YT, Gerry in an interview that he knew he was a gonner and there was nothing he could do about it, touts are killed end of story. So trying to compare an unarmed woman being shot by a drug dealer and Gerry ratting up IRA men are two totally different things.

Slip of the tongue there?:p

Adams is not a journalist, SF is not a state - it's a false equivocation to suggest otherwise.

You might as well as argue that if Adams was a priest sure wouldn't he be bound by the seal of the confessional.

What self appointed right (it is a self appointed one) has a journalist to 'protect' a killer?
    Who decides what a state keeps secret, in relation to Dublin/Monaghan bombings, for instance?

These are not inalienable rights, a subsequent government could rescind the secrecy and say the cover-up was wrong.
    SF have merely taken the same right onto themselves.

From the get go (the GFA negotiations and agreement) SF and the IRA have been clear on this issue. Both governments signed an agreement that included a pledge that they would set up truth recovery processes specifically because of what these organisations and 20 years later we are going up yet another cul de sac echoing with the same faux outrage about stuff that has been clear from the very start of the process and for very clear and transparent reasons.

Let's leave it, you're not going to answer a simple yes / no question about the murder of unarmed public servants.

What matters not what might have happened in a hypothetical situation, it's what happened.......and when you wonder why people are so put off SF, you might reflect on their support for these acts.

Yeah we are going round in circles, ironically there's a surge of people joining them and the public don't seem to be put off at all. If anything they're getting stronger and FG/FF are having panic attacks. I think Gerry Adams needs to retire and let the clean folks in the south run SF.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Slip of the tongue there?:p

Not really, I just read articles like every one else, SF is run from the north and there's obviously a few dodgy characters up there in the organisation.

What does 'legitimised' mean here? No murder is 'legitimised'.
    The chief prison officer in Portlaoise prison where prison officers complained about the ill treatment they were forced to hand out to prisoners, was shot by a member of the IRA who were being held en masse in the above prison.

The IRA exist because of the conflict/war and they were in Portlaoise Prison because of the conflict/war.

Was the killing related to the conflict/war? I'll let you work that one out yourself.
    In 1984 the Assistant General Secretary of the Prison Officers Association, Tom Hoare strongly criticized conditions within the prison stating that staff were forced by senior management in the prison to use excessive force against prisoners. He also criticized the then Governor of Portlaoise Prison, William Reilly, and the Minister of Justice Michael Noonan stating "I accuse the minister of negligence in this area. I accuse the management of Portlaoise Prison of being indifferent to complaints. I would hate to be a prisoner making a complaint".[6] At the Prison Officers Association 1984 conference a delegate from Portlaoise Prison, Larry O'Neill, told the conference: "If Hitler wanted generals today he would find plenty of them in Portlaoise. After the war the Nazis said many of them were doing their duty and that is what the management in Portlaoise are saying today"

Interesting to note the Minister of Justice at the time.
    I think the same FG government introduced censorship of SF at the time too and the Heavy Gang.

Yeah we are going round in circles, ironically there's a surge of people joining them and the public don't seem to be put off at all. If anything they're getting stronger and FG/FF are having panic attacks. I think Gerry Adams needs to retire and let the clean folks in the south run SF.

Not really, you asserted that a Dail deputy is a risk of being physically coerced, if not killed, by a branch of a political party that operates in this State! For potentially doing something a lot of people would regard as being the correct and civic minded thing to do.

It's actually incredible that people would think that such a thing is ok.

I'm all for political retribution, but politicians shouldn't have to be in fear of physical harm from their party.

What does 'legitimised' mean here? No murder is 'legitimised'.
    The chief prison officer in Portlaoise prison where prison officers complained about the ill treatment they were forced to hand out to prisoners, was shot by a member of the IRA who were being held en masse in the above prison.

The IRA exist because of the conflict/war and they were in Portlaoise Prison because of the conflict/war.

Was the killing related to the conflict/war? I'll let you work that one out yourself.

Interesting to note the Minister of Justice at the time.
    I think the same FG government introduced censorship of SF at the time too and the Heavy Gang.

Again with the history and the double standards.

If Amnesty wanted to investigate the IRA's human rights abuses to whom do they go? Where are the records of punishment and detention held?

Not really, you asserted that a Dail deputy is a risk of being physically coerced, if not killed, by a branch of a political party that operates in this State! For potentially doing something a lot of people would regard as being the correct and civic minded thing to do.

It's actually incredible that people would think that such a thing is ok.

I'm all for political retribution, but politicians shouldn't have to be in fear of physical harm from their party.

I agree, but would you risk it? Just to add to the Donaldson assassination, if you do a bit of online reading, that wasn't sanctioned, it was believed to be rougue IRA men too.So would risk it?

I agree, but would you risk it? Just to add to the Donaldson assassination, if you do a bit of online reading, that wasn't sanctioned, it was believed to be rougue IRA men too.So would risk it?

You believe the Belfast element of SF represent a threat to the physical safet of Adams?

Have to say I'm an admirer of their party discipline but even I didn't think 'uncomradely behaviour' would be met with physical retribution!

• Advertisement

You believe the Belfast element of SF represent a threat to the physical safet of Adams?

Have to say I'm an admirer of their party discipline but even I didn't think 'uncomradely behaviour' would be met with physical retribution!

Maybe, I wouldn't chance rubbing the old guard up the wrong way. Unfortunately the war was less than 20 years ago, so there's bound to be a few nut jobs still around. They're probably not in SF as per se, but were provos.

Again with the history and the double standards.

If Amnesty wanted to investigate the IRA's human rights abuses to whom do they go? Where are the records of punishment and detention held?

That wouldn't be a complete deflection would it by any chance.

It is a 'historical' case and you don't wish to review the history or context? :confused:

There is a very good chance that no records exist for Amnesty to review. Other than that what is your point, we have already established that what happened during the conflict/war was not right. In fact I am not aware of any war, ever that was 'right' or even respected human rights. If you know of one, I am all ears.

Maybe, you could tell us all what you think would happen if Adams reveals what he knows here and somebody is arrested and charged and then the next family asks and somebody else gets charged and convicted then the next one asks...I'm all ears on this because it seems to me that what you will have is a whole new generation of families looking for answers.
    It is that stark, you make your choice as to the best course to take. I know I have.

That wouldn't be a complete deflection would it by any chance.

It is a 'historical' case and you don't wish to review the history or context? :confused:

There is a very good chance that no records exist for Amnesty to review. Other than that what is your point, we have already established that what happened during the conflict/war was not right. In fact I am not aware of any war, ever that was 'right' or even respected human rights. If you know of one, I am all ears.

Maybe, you could tell us all what you think would happen if Adams reveals what he knows here and somebody is arrested and charged and then the next family asks and somebody else gets charged and convicted then the next one asks...I'm all ears on this because it seems to me that what you will have is a whole new generation of families looking for answers.
    It is that stark, you make your choice as to the best course to take. I know I have.

How convenient for an organisation advocating for a truth commission!

Talk about the 'get out of jail' free card!!

As for Adams revealing what he knows - I've already said that's not going to happen so I don't see the point of discussing hypotheticals - I'm not big on them or counter-factuals, I leave them to the first years ;)

And if you don't believe war is ever right, then you need to widen your reading to encompass some of the work covering "jus bellum iustum" doctrines.

How convenient for an organisation advocating for a truth commission!

Talk about the 'get out of jail' free card!!

As for Adams revealing what he knows - I've already said that's not going to happen so I don't see the point of discussing hypotheticals - I'm not big on them or counter-factuals, I leave them to the first years ;)

Well then, you must agree with the OP that this course, where politicians involve themselves in a known cul de sac of high moral grandstanding is a complete waste of everyone's time.
    What is the imperative for failed politics? Try something else.
    What is the stated goal of politicians here? Oh yeh, to bring closure for all families affected by the conflict. Marks out of ten for that?
    And if you don't believe war is ever right, then you need to widen your reading to encompass some of the work covering "jus bellum iustum" doctrines.

So all conflicts/war must follow theological and intellectual principles. Who knew!

Well then, you must agree with the OP that this course, where politicians involve themselves in a known cul de sac of high moral grandstanding is a complete waste of everyone's time.
    What is the imperative for failed politics? Try something else.
    What is the stated goal of politicians here? Oh yeh, to bring closure for all families affected by the conflict. Marks out of ten for that?

So all conflicts/war must follow theological and intellectual principles. Who knew!

Agree with the OP? I thought you were the OP!

The imperative and goal of politics is the acquisition and retention of power for its own sake - has been since we first organised as communities and societies. You don't believe all that nonsense that all politicians spout about 'service'??

Machiavelli had it about right....
    ".....the purpose of political power is to maintain itself and to extend itself. It has nothing to do with the welfare of the people. It has nothing to do with principles or ideology or right and wrong.

The welfare of the people, principles, ideology, right and wrong: these are related to the means to the end, but the goal is power."

And you're confusing jus in bello (the conduct of war) with what I wrote jus bellum iustum (the moral justification for war) - it's ok it's a subtle difference.

For example, one of the principles espoused under the jus in bello that Adams and the IRA seem to have had a problem with is 'distinction' - no bombing civilians and the like or shooting unarmed prison officers on the street.

Whereas Aquinian jus bellum iustum would say that war can only be waged by the state.......not by non-state political actors without political authority.

Agree with the OP? I thought you were the OP!

The imperative and goal of politics is the acquisition and retention of power for its own sake - has been since we first organised as communities and societies. You don't believe all that nonsense that all politicians spout about 'service'??

Machiavelli had it about right....

And you're confusing jus in bello (the conduct of war) with what I wrote jus bellum iustum (the moral justification for war) - it's ok it's a subtle difference.

For example, one of the principles espoused under the jus in bello that Adams and the IRA seem to have had a problem with is 'distinction' - no bombing civilians and the like or shooting unarmed prison officers on the street.

Whereas Aquinian jus bellum iustum would say that war can only be waged by the state.......not by non-state political actors without political authority.

The 'state' that has no interest in the welfare of it's own people?

• Advertisement

The 'state' that has no interest in the welfare of it's own people?

The "state" and British state didn't give a fiddlers about the Catholics in the north and they were second class citizens hence the uprising. Most companies including delorean had protestant management and Catholic worker bee's threatening to kill them at any given time. A work colleague worked up there in the 80's. Mad stuff Ted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Ah, we're back to calling them terrorists and hoping for the best I see.
    Try telling a Frenchman that the resistance deserved their executions or a South African that Mandela should never have been released because "jus bellum iustum".

There are 'rules of war' in existance.
    Human rights violations during conflicts, can be prosecuted after the war.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are 'rules of war' in existance.
    Human rights violations during conflicts, can be prosecuted after the war.

Who made these 'rules'? And how many wars/conflict have they been followed in?

Human rights are a very subjective thing imo looking at history and the world.

ISIS don't follow any rules, in fact they make new ways of killing people in the worst possible manner.

• Advertisement

Try telling a Frenchman that the resistance deserved their executions or a South African that Mandela should never have been released because "jus bellum iustum".

I'm sorry, but where did I call them terrorists?

The wording was deliberately phrased within the philosophy of war argument.

Plus jus bellum iustum is about the initiation of war, not the conduct or resolution of it.......as I said, subtle but important differences.

Human rights are not subjective.
    The universal declaration of human rights was adopted by the United nations in 1948.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Geneva convention covers war rules.

ISIS don't follow any rules, in fact they make new ways of killing people in the worst possible manner.

And I don't believe anyone thinks that isis observe human rights?

Some info here....

Hague Conventions, 1899 & 1907

I'm sorry, but where did I call them terrorists?
    You were claiming war can only be waged by a state. Or are you now withdrawing that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

There are 11 crimes which constitute grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and which are applicable only to international armed conflicts:[64]

Willful killing
    Torture
    Inhumane treatment
    Biological experiments
    Willfully causing great suffering
    Destruction and appropriation of property
    Compelling service in hostile forces
    Denying a fair trial
    Unlawful deportation and transfer
    Unlawful confinement
    Taking hostages

So IRA is ****ed then

You were claiming war can only be waged by a state. Or are you now withdrawing that claim?

Me?

Gosh no......Thomas Acquinas did......hence my use of the adjective 'Acquinian'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's a dangerous road to go down. We should ignore Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, Shoot to Kill?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

OMD wrote: »
    There are 11 crimes which constitute grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and which are applicable only to international armed conflicts:[64]

Willful killing
    Torture
    Inhumane treatment
    Biological experiments
    Willfully causing great suffering
    Destruction and appropriation of property
    Compelling service in hostile forces
    Denying a fair trial
    Unlawful deportation and transfer
    Unlawful confinement
    Taking hostages

So IRA is ****ed then

The Americans are fcuked so.....

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Human rights are not subjective.
    The universal declaration of human rights was adopted by the United nations in 1948.

Was this before or after they let Churchill off a war crimes charge for carpet bombing the sh*t out of Dresden and Cologne?
    Forgive me if I seem dismissive of the U.N. which was conceived and has a veto at it's core for the 5 nations that set it up.
    it should have been in Derry and Belfast when a sectarian statelet exploded because it was ignored by one of the UNs founding members , funnily enough (not really, tragically enough)

Me?

Gosh no......Thomas Acquinas did......hence my use of the adjective 'Acquinian'......
    Ah right, so you were just completely randomly chucking around quotes from Aquinas that you now claim you neither endorse nor feel are relevant.
    Thanks so much for that. Anything else random to add?

Was this before or after they let Churchill off a war crimes charge for carpet bombing the shot out of Dresden and Cologne?
    Forgive me if I seem dismissive of the U.N. which was conceived and has a veto at it's core for the 5 nations that set it up.
    it should have been in Derry and Belfast when a sectarian statelet exploded because it was ignored by one of the UNs founding members , funnily (not really, tragically enough) enough.

Yeah, everyone bandies that one about......the firebombing of Tokyo (Operation MEETINGHOUSE) is a better example......even LeMay said he'd have been tried as a war criminal if they'd lost the war.

Victors write the history, which is why SF can't whitewash away crimes like Brian Stack's murder.

Ah right, so you were just completely randomly chucking around quotes from Aquinas that you now claim you neither endorse nor feel are relevant.
    Thanks so much for that. Anything else random to add?

Pretty much it.....there are different strands to the debate and discussion around the doctrine.....I like Acquinas' views, not because they particularly agree with. One but because of the elegance of the writing and argument.

Yeah, everyone bandies that one about......the firebombing of Tokyo (Operation MEETINGHOUSE) is a better example......even LeMay said he'd have been tried as a war criminal if they'd lost the war.

Victors write the history, which is why SF can't whitewash away crimes like Brian Stack's murder.
    Think you might have defeated your own argument there.
    Victors indeed.

Victors indeed.

There's no argument - the victors write the history. 'Twas always thus since even before Thucydides.

There's no argument - the victors write the history. 'Twas always thus since even before Thucydides.

Yeah the Yankees have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, can we call them terrorists when the IRA went on "fund raising" activities in RoI banks and post offices? Or just common criminals?

Yeah the Yankees have a lot to answer for.

They certainly do.

Gerry Adams expresses anger after being denied entry to White House

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Victors indeed.

The sides are held to different standards though, the state forces are supposed to abide by conventions and rules.

Eg. The British got taken to the ECHR for breaches of human rights in Castlereagh.

IRA courts handed out murder sentences and kneecapped young lads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement