Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive Possession/purchase

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

My bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Pension :(

I'd be lying on a beach supping Tennent's somewhere if it wasn't for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

House.

100,000 capital loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Apart from car, my projector. Paid €1,700 for it when it came out. Little cheaper now.

It turns either my sitting room or bedroom into a cinema and yet it's so slim and sexy you'd think it wouldn't be able to do anything of the sort.

It's the only inanimate object I think I have ever actually been in love with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Currently probably my engagement ring, then car, then laptop...
    In a year it'll be my husband. That's going to be an expensive piece of paper :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

JohnCleary wrote: »
    My boat. Cost more than my house ffs. The joys of being 25 and addicted to the water. Never looked back, has changed our lifestyle so much for the better.

The running costs are the killer though...annual costs are on par with your average mortgage

that is either a big arse boat, or you live in a flat in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Most expensive apart from the house is my dog...
    Got her 12 years ago, friend of a friend gave to me as a 12 week old pup, free to a good home.

I reckon in terms of money spent on vaccinations, medical bills and food, she has cost me more than the price of my secondhand car. Of course in terms of value, she is absolutely priceless to me. Wouldn't swap her for 10 cars and a jet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

nelly17 wrote: »
    Collection of paintbrushes -can get expensive?

Very :o I have some handmade ones and a one good paintbrush can cost €300+. As well as that each paint type has its own type of paintbrush.

I'm not talking brushes used for painting a shed btw :pac: They're all fine art brushes.

Everybody else in college was spending their cheques on alcohol and clothes and I was saving for my next brush or palette :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ignoring my houses, cars and bikes....

I've a few bits & pieces of sporting memorabilia. Some of it is on display in the National Football Museum in Manchester, including a few World Cup winners medals and a European Cup winners medal (pre Champions League)

Leaving out the house (and a half) and the cars that we have (3) - I guess the most expensive thing we own is the Jacuzzi I built myself in the garden. Its outdoor - fits loads of people - is heated (both the water - and over heard heating) - and has water protected ports around the outside for hooking in MP3 players which hook into a sound system around the over heard heating - the outside - and a few points near by around the garden.

Was quite expensive by the time it was done but still cost a very surprisingly small % of the cost I had quoted for "professionals" to come in and do the whole thing for me and their version was going to be less technically interesting (like the music system).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

25k on a tractor in 05.
    But the purchase that indirectly has been the most costly was a "pedigree " simmental bull. Gave close to 2k for him a few years back. Turned out to be a complete disaster of an animal. Bred very nervous cattle. They wouldn't thrive. Extremely difficult to handle and had a poor resistance to any illness. The losses attributed to that bull would be more than10 times the price of the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

One of them is crazy expensive/cheap :)

Laptop between 300 and 1200, car between 3000 and 12000, nothing abnormal about those prices for such big items!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

that is either a big arse boat, or you live in a flat in Sligo.

By Irish standards, it's a big boat. Down in the Med it would be considered "doing OK for yourself"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I bought a 20 pack box of Tayto, does that count ? Mightn't be my most expensive but probably my most treasured

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

GingerLily wrote: »
    One of them is crazy expensive/cheap :)

Laptop between 300 and 1200, car between 3000 and 12000, nothing abnormal about those prices for such big items!
    When you said one was a factor of 10 more expensive than the other I was being a literal smart arse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I think I spent about 2200€ on my laptop 3 years ago, meaning that it's worth about 50€ now.

I got an expensive machine because I needed it to not slow down over 4+ years and to be powerful enough to do moderate data processing. What I should have done, was buy two desktops, one for work and one for home, and probably still would have had enough left over for a netbook/etc for mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

My Sega Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick FC season ticket.

The ticket, the hours off for away trips, the pints, the away tickets, the petrol, the replica gear, the mileage on the car, the food in places like Junction 14, the toll fees...year after year.

i wonder how much it all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My car - about 18k when it was bought
    A headstone - 4ish k
    A handbag (present) - about 2k
    A few pairs of shoes between 795 and 2k
    My engagement ring - just shy of 1k
    Few handbags between 300-700

Car
    Macbook pro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Really strange how so few people are putting their phone on this list.
    Anyone on contract with an iphone has probably spent 1000 euro on their phone.

Mine is the same boring list as a lot of people in their mid 30's.
    -Property and associated fixtures and furniture
    -Vehicles (car, van, motorbikes, bike)
    -Electronics like camera, tv, phone etc. 
    -Tools. Lathe, chisels etc.
    -Wedding bands and engagement ring
    I didn't include children there,  but they are hella expensive, and I'm not sure if they count as an asset or not yet!
    Not really into branded clothes, bags or cosmetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

My car - about 18k when it was bought
    A headstone - 4ish k
    A handbag (present) - about 2k
    A few pairs of shoes between 795 and 2k
    My engagement ring - just shy of 1k
    Few handbags between 300-700

Isn't your fiancé meant to buy you an engagement ring??

Scrap that: forgot it was purchase or possession.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Probably my wife's engagement ring. Mind you, my wedding band wasn't the cheapest either.

About 7 years ago (could be more now), I spent €1,500 on a 42" full HD Panasonic plasma TV! You'd get some brute of a TV for that price now, though the plasma panel is hard to beat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Probably my bed. I invested in a good mattress when I moved into a new apartment. Or the contents of my salon when I was at home.

Other than that I'm a notorious bargain hunter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

From Friday week my most expensive purchase will be 20:20 vision (hopefully)
    2700euro later she can see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The house and the car, although the car isn't worth that much any more, 229 k on the clock and 12 years old but it gets me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

mcgiggles wrote: »
    From Friday week my most expensive purchase will be 20:20 vision (hopefully)
    2700euro later she can see!!

Best thing you'll ever spend money on. Got it done years ago and would highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I had to get a front crown 850 schmeckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Besides house and car.....my road bike... €2,600 a giant tcr advance pro 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hookers and coke.

Advertisement