Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Breastfeeding rates linked to Catholic Guilt

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

seamus wrote: »
    but more worried about whether it makes other people squeamish?
    Tbh I couldn't give a rats arse at this stage what other people think - my baby being fed is much more important than whether Mary down the road is clutching her pearls or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It comes up on After Hours every now and then and there are usually a few posters who think it should be done out of the public eye, done in toilets if necessary.

Ugly attitudes, wherever they come from.

osarusan wrote: »
    It comes up on After Hours every now and then and there are usually a few posters who think it should be done out of the public eye, done in toilets if necessary.

Ugly attitudes, wherever they come from.

I know. I've seen the "Taking a dump is natural too, is it okay if I do that while you eat your lunch" type stuff too. You'd wonder what's wrong with people if they can't see a difference.

I don't think it would put me off breastfeeding when I have kids, but I'd say some people are discouraged when they read stuff like that.

People forget that the option is always available to look at something else.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most of the time you can see absolutely nothing anyway - baby's head is in the way! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I do think adults being disgusted by breastfeeding is bizarre, hilarious and a bit pitiful but I dislike when it's said we are backwards as if Ireland is the only country with this mentality.

You can be sure there are similar outlooks in the US, and not just in the red states.

I am a bit squeamish about the idea of breastfeeding too - it's a sensitive region! Not that I wouldn't do it (of course it's the ideal) or that I give a hoot when women breastfeed in public, but sometimes the squeamishness is not due to being oppressed etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement