Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Breastfeeding rates linked to Catholic Guilt

Options
  • 06-12-2016 1:24am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to a study, Ireland has the lowest breastfeeding rates in the developed world and this is very closely linked to its Catholic heritage. Despite breastfeeding being widely acknowledged as best for babies, less than half of Irish women have tried it. In the 1970s, breastfeeding reached a low of 11%.

Here's a link to the article about the study;
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/religion-cited-as-influencing-low-breastfeeding-rates-1.2894194

So it looks like despite all the changes here in the past 25 years, Irish Catholic guilt is still alive and well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Where is 'guilt' mentioned?

Being a product of the 80's I wasn't breast-fed.... but that was largely because my mother couldn't be arsed & she would be just dropping fag-ash on me all the time anyway!

I don't think guilt was an issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Catholic guilt is a load of rubbish and an excuse, a lot of women want the men to help feed the baby and a lot of women don't want to milk or 'express' their milk. They would rather go dry.

btw I think babies should get their mother's milk if the situation allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Does Ireland not produce a load of formula ? And don't they give you formula and that in the basket you get from the maternity hospital ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The 70s was the height of Catholic oppression?

Isn't it more to do simply with the availability of alternatives?

Next they'll be saying elective c sections are growing due to salafism taking hold.

Being an atheist I never experienced Catholic guilt but then I suppose, both my kids were breastfed. :)

Bloody Catholics, starving the babies and such. Barbarians, the lot of ya! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'd say it has more to do with us producing a massive percentage of the worlds dairy based formula, the marketing push around the same in the 70's and the convenience it brought for mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I don't buy the Catholic guilt thing, especially with women in my age group. Anyone I know who didn't breast feed didn't do it because it was too painful or they just didn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Maybe it's just not convenient or possible for lots of women to have baldy hanging off their tit all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't buy the Catholic guilt thing, especially with women in my age group. Anyone I know who didn't breast feed didn't do it because it was too painful or they just didn't want to.

How about the women that did, what was their motivation.

They gave a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I would have thought it was more of a case of Ireland clinging to British Victorian puritanical views of the body for far longer than it should have.

I find a lot of British studies and commentary can be a bit fixated on Catholic vs Protestant.

The flavour of religious conservatism found here in the past was basically a catholic version of extreme Victorian puritanical notions about terror of nudity, fear of sexuality etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I see a Waterford Whispers headline in the pipeline: "Atheists significantly more obsessed with catholic guilt than actual catholics are".

I would have thought it was more of a case of Ireland clinging to British Victorian puritanical views of the body for far longer than it should have.

I find a lot of British studies and commentary can be a bit fixated on Catholic vs Protestant.

The flavour of religious conservatism found here in the past was basically a catholic version of extreme Victorian puritanical notions about terror of nudity, fear of sexuality etc etc

Or how about Irish women are way to obsessed with keeping themselves looking good even when it comes to boobs we never see bar the odd roaster of a day in may.

Blaming the Brits? That's a low blow right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I am not sure if Catholic guilt is the correct term but I have discussed this with women who saw it as a sexual act and inappropriate for a baby. We were all young at the time of the discussion so it could be a maturity thing.

What reasons do those who just didn't want to have?

Supping milk from your mammy is not a sexual act. Jesus what are these women thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

FortySeven wrote: »

Well the uk does have the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world. It's hardly surprising given the cultural links Ireland does too.

http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/news/breastfeeding-rates-in-uk-are-the-lowest-in-the-world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

rgace wrote: »
    I am not sure if Catholic guilt is the correct term but I have discussed this with women who saw it as a sexual act and inappropriate for a baby. We were all young at the time of the discussion so it could be a maturity thing.

As Cupcake said, too painful. It can be very difficult with baby just not latching on and/or severe soreness. Depends on the breasts. My mother started working as a nurse in the 60s - said choosing not to breastfeed due to the pain (not modesty or wanting to keep boobs looking perky) was always a thing, and something she never found objectionable as it's not manageable for all women (even though she breastfed all her children).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Far from sexual... I mean does one see a lamb sucking the tit of the ewe as sexual, or a suckler cow with her calf. I mean we are all mammals.

I was not breasted, but then I grew up on a dairy farm and we had lots of cows milk...

Supping milk from your mammy is not a sexual act. Jesus what are these women thinking.

It's part of the rape culture. Us men are using our children to oppress and abuse them. :)

Didn't you get the memo from the brotherhood about the most effective way to deploy a newborn?

• Advertisement

Well the uk does have the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world. It's hardly surprising given the cultural links Ireland does too.

God gave British women the biggest boobs in Europe. What was he thinking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I have discussed this with women who saw it as a sexual act and inappropriate for a baby. We were all young at the time of the discussion so it could be a maturity thing

So..... the bottles teat is the newborn equivalent of the fleshlight.

Where did you find these 'women'?

Sadly, he didn't give them long enough arms to hold the baby down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Flimpson wrote: »
    As Cupcake said, too painful. It can be very difficult with baby just not latching on and/or severe soreness. Depends on the breasts. My mother started working as a nurse in the 60s - said choosing not to breastfeed due to the pain (not modesty or wanting to keep boobs looking perky) was always a thing, and something she never found objectionable as it's not manageable for all women (even though she breastfed all her children).

I would assume that is the reason in the majority of cases. I could be wrong but mothers probably spend less time in hospital after giving birth nowadays, time which could be used to practice breastfeeding with the help of a midwife if they are struggling

They wanted to?

As is insinuating that women who don't breast feed don't give a **** about their babies, but there you go.

That's their business, not mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Balances out with the teeth though ?

As is insinuating that women who don't breast feed don't give a **** about their babies, but there you go.

when done for convenience and comfort?

Against all that we know about it being beneficial to development and immunity?

Yes, selfish as ****.

when done for convenience and comfort?

Against all that we know about it being beneficial to development and immunity?

Yes, selfish as ****.

Any woman who's gone through a 9 month pregnancy and a labour has earned the right to decide to be comfortable. We also know that there are perfectly good substitutes for breast milk so that the baby still gets everything it needs.

Some mothers don't produce enough milk, their milk is lacking in certain vitamins, is bad for the baby or its just too painful. Maybe give it a second thought before you tell them they don't give a ****.

Should be mandatory, people step toe around mums, time to get tough on the ones who won't get their boobs out of the babs.
    The figures don't lie, Irish women just aren't doing it left to themselves.

• Advertisement

Any woman who's gone through a 9 month pregnancy and a labour has earned the right to decide to be comfortable. We also know that there are perfectly good substitutes for breast milk so that the baby still gets everything it needs.

Some mothers don't produce enough milk, their milk is lacking in certain vitamins, is bad for the baby or its just too painful. Maybe give it a second thought before you tell them they don't give a ****.

Bunch of crybabies these 'modern' mum's really. Generations managed this simple task over and over again. Modern mums need rests, alternatives, substitutes..

There are NO better alternatives to breastmilk.

Having a child is the most natural thing in the world and for all the hatred I have for my ex I will say this for her, there was none of this nonsense. She carried, birthed and fed my kids like a trooper.

None of this whinging malarkey and pretending it is something special. It's breeding. It's what we do as a race. We're really successful at it.
    At least we used to be. Now it's become an industry and a talking shop of nonsense.

We're animals. We breed. It's not special.

Advertisement