Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Ray Foley just made a crack "who is this new girl filling in for Paula MacSweeney on lunchtimes?" Ha ha, he obviously thought the same as I had, that she has missed a lot of shows of late. Did pay her lots of compliments afterwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

I copied the list of the sacred 150 songs suggested to us on the Top 1000 voting page, so it'll be interesting to see where they end up in the voting.

No 983 in the Top 1000 is Kneecap with Brian Chatten out of Fontaine's DC, with Better Way to Live. A miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Kneecao/Grian Chatten, Talking Heads, Arctic Monkeys, Chemical Brothers, Ace of Bass played already.

Great stuff. I'll even keep Abba, 5 and UB40 on knowing it won't be the same Ed Sheeran, Picture That, Dermot Kennedy, Beyonce, Coldplay playlist that took over Today FM in recent years - this sort of variety means I'll listen all weekend.

I'm obviously not the target audience I suppose. A 14 year old girl or a woman who was 14 in 2004 seems to be what they are playing to.

No 807 (I think) on the Top 1000, I believe, is CMAT with something called Stay For Something. I don't know it! I'll have to listen to it as soon as Take My Breath Away by Berlin is finished and is followed by rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. There's even songs that would be typical of their playlist, except... they're not, dropped in favour of something similar or just not enduring enough over the past few years, but they're getting an airing again after so long. Circles by Post Malone is one example. Just something different for a change. It's refreshing. They should be doing it all the time.

Christ it's good! Might have to get added to the playlist for when I'm on my own in the car and fancy a bit of a singsong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I'm obviously not the target audience I suppose. A 14 year old girl or a woman who was 14 in 2004 seems to be what they are playing to.

But not a 14 year old boy or a man who was 14 in 2004? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Shan Doras

Boys would have liked Girls aloud and Britney for wänking rather than their music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The music is brilliant today. It’s obvious that the presenters are enjoying it too. Why can’t they do this every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

I was surprised to hear Ed Smith on this morning at 6:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

is it barry dunnes first time presenting a show on today fm right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭fire_man

Some cracking songs in the 600 & 700s.You would except them way higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭supereurope

I was surprised to hear overnight live presentation. Woke up around 3am and put the radio on to help me back to sleep, strange to hear someone on-air (and it didn't sound prerecorded.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No Claire Beck show tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

No normal shows until Monday evening I think

Some of the choices are a bit odd…just heard "It's Gonna be Me" by N*SYNC at no 601, a song from the year 2000 that didn't do spectacularly well this side of the Atlantic (no. 23 in the Irish charts, no 9 in the UK) and which I haven't heard on Irish radio in a long time. Odd because there's much bigger hits or more well-known or more played songs further down the chart.

Exactly. And right now they're playing Blinded by the Lights by The Weeknd. Exactly the type of song that would be on this chart ahead of, say, This Is Hardcore or The Spirit of Radio (look them up), yet it's only at Number 438! It was a huge hit, and inevitably better than some of the many less appealing offerings that will get higher than it. But overall there's some great tunes in there... for a change!

I see as well they're cutting songs short from time to time to squeeze everything in.

One more annoying observation from me: I'm pretty sure none of the Golden 150 songs have cropped up yet. Hmmm. Not even the Becky Hill stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Strange how this weekend has been good to listen to, with the chance to hear different songs from all eras.

But of course, come Tuesday, it'll be back to the same old, same old formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭SimpleDimple

when did the voting take place for the top 1000 does anyone know, and was it an open choice or did you have to pick for a list?

I’m enjoying the countdown, but it is a very today FM playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'd be a big critic of Today FM regarding playlist, poor DJs and the cash machine drivel but they are the only station I have on all weekend.

Just like the last long weekend, when they were "Yesterday FM" all weekend. So much better than the usual schedule.

And we finally have our first song from the supplied list of songs: Lionheart (Fearless), Tom Grennan. Or at least I presume it was played and not part of an ad. It came on right before 2 pm today, whatever position that makes it.

Not sure what to read into that factoid. Of the Divine Fifty, we've had nothing yet from Kelly Clarkson or Dolly Parton. On the other hand, we've had nine Madonna songs but none of her Holy Trinity of songs yet. I'm not at home so I can't listen to the radio, so where are they at now? I fear the chart will be improperly weighted in favour of those 150 songs even worse than we feared.

Both. You could choose between one and five of your own songs, but then you were given a list of fifty acts, each of which had three songs listed underneath, and you had to choose at least one of those 150 songs, again up to maximum of five. So those songs are getting an artificial boost.

I can't remember if "Yesterday FM" also ran overnight with live presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I smell a bit of a rat with this list.

Yesterday at one stage it was just like a typical daytime stuff with Ed Sheeran, Coldplay that kinda stuff so I turned it off.

I wonder are a lot of the more iinteresting and less ppopular songs being played between 9pm and 9am and the day time list filled with the kind of stuff they usually play during the day.

I smell a bit of a rat too, but for a different reason. In the past hour they've played Whatever by Oasis, Alright by Supergrass, and Scooby Snacks by Fun Lovin' Criminals, although that's been mixed in with your usual Pitbull and Ava Max. But here's the thing: earlier today (no position, sorry), they played Despacito. It was the biggest hit of that summer (2017 off the top of my head) and one of the catchiest things in a long while. But how the hell is Bed by Joel Corry and RAYE better than it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

THe list is supposedly in order of popularity, not what is better.

I would wonder if votes were actually counted at all, and they are just playing them in the order they want to.

Advertisement