Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Has Louise Cantillon been out more than she's been in, since taking over lunchtimes. I'm sure that's not the case, but just feels like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭its_steve116

When the station you work for doesn't have a studio in the city you live in it's always going to be hard to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fire_man

She has been on TV with Daithi some days.All bits of irish on that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neg10

It’s an interesting one, on the one hand, she’s right to try as much as she can and get the station the added boost from that, but from a jnlr point of view; you’d imagine it will affect the recall if she’s not there!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It’s possible she booked the work before getting her Today Fm gig. You wouldn’t know how far in advance they book these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I am sure on her contract is place of work is marconi house, digges lane, dublin 2 and was aware of this

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

2FM's is better. Also, there's been some big hits that Today FM just never ever put on their playlist for whatever, and still haven't, like Lovin On Me by Jack Harlow, or Sprinter by Central Cee and Dave which spent 10 weeks atop the UK Singles Chart. I don't understand the rationale there. Even Seventeen Going Under by Sam Fender didn't see the light of day until early 2022 despite being in the top 10 the previous autumn. (It even featured as a question a lot on the Grand National despite its total absence from the station)

I see Today FM are doing another poll of songs, but this time it's a Top 1000. Now, I never saw the voting page for the Top 500, but is it the same? Cos in this one, you can:

1. nominate your own choice of up to 5 songs, anything you want, and
    2. pick up to 5 songs that they provide you.

For number 2, they've provided a total of 50 acts, mostly today's most popular acts (Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, etc) with one or two longer lasting ones thrown in (e.g. Westlife, Madonna, Dolly Parton), and for each one there are three songs available.

So it seems you can pick up to 10 songs, although you don't have to pick any of the ones they feed you. But undoubtedly they'll get a boost, particularly if you mistakenly think you have to vote for them, but also just by being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I wonder, might it be a music publisher thing, like Bauer not letting them play artists signed with certain labels? Thinking about it, I've never heard Fontaines DC or CMAT on during the day - don't think I've ever heard Fontaines, even on Ed's show - and both are charting/award-winning Irish acts who are big draws at festivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭waywill1966

had the misfortune to tune into today fm in the car yesterday morning, just for curiosity and had to switch it off after a few minutes. Talking about bins for those few minutes ffs, thought my brain was about to bleed. This station was last good over twenty years ago and sounds like any other bland contemporary station now! Back to Planet Rock and Spotify for me!

yesterdays (fri) 7pm news has just been aired. does this happen often ?

It's cropped up before on this thread how the sports news from the previous evening has often been aired! They must record the news and/or sport and just play it again if nothing's changed and then occasionally play the wrong one by mistake.

Probably. Does CMAT get a run-out often on 2FM? I think she might have been played a little on Ed's National Anthems

And speaking of adhering to the set playlist, does Ray Foley deviate from it a lot? I'll often hear him play something and realise I haven't heard it in quite the while.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember CMAT complaining on Twitter about a year ago, that apart from John Creedon very few DJs play her songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She needs to remember that Irish day time radio plays "the music we love" apparently. There must be no room for artists like CMAT or Fontaines DC, as we all prefer Girls Aloud, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Ed Sheerin and Dermot Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah, I would have heard her on Ed's show before it became the Blink 182, Coldplay and Imagine Dragons playlist. Dunno about 2fm, I've not listened in years.

If I won the euromillions and could buy the station and hire who I want, I'd have John Creedon, Ed Smith, Dec Pierce, Kelly-Ann Byrne, Claire Beck, Paul McLoone, Dave Couse, and Tom Dunne on in the evenings. With Alison Curtis doing her Last Splash show. Creedon is great - you never know what to expect next!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

this why txfm was such a loss to Irish artists. Bands splitting up because they couldn’t get exposure to sell gigs. Txfm was great at this and the sound presenters wanted to push this. I still really miss that station

Have you heard The DJ Bambi Show on Mixcloud? On a break now but plays a lot of emerging Irish artists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm fairly sure Claire Beck plays CMAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah I've heard her play her on her Sunday morning show All Irish.

Tom Dunne plays CMAT on Newstalk a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Stuck on Today FM Rocks with Ed Smyth last night, nothing wrong as such with the music but the picks were all incredibly safe, it could have been a recorded show. It'd be nice to see Ed move onto a more suited radio station, wasted now at Today FM.

First thing I heard jumping back into the car this morning was Cash Machine drivel so off to podcasts I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

CMAT gets a lot of airtime on the evening slots on 2fm. To be fair to 2fm, there is a good variety of music in the evenings. Beta Da Silva's show is poppy but eclectic. After that the Greene room and Dan Hegarty's show is all alternative music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

all the Irish songs get wedged into Claire’s show on a Sunday morning at 8am. Obviously the station has to play a quota of Irish songs, and damned if they’re going to be playing them on their “prime time” slots. God help us all…

Beta played Cmat's new one "Ah, Shoot!" last night if I remember correct.

Ed has been with Today FM since 1998, so just like Will and Rick over at RTE Gold - an easy job for life, with no hard sell and he doesnt even have to mention the cash call !!!.

He would be very foolish to move to another station to keep listeners and bands happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Shan Doras

It was funny when Liveline were covering the cash machine a few weeks ago because RTE were the ones who stated the whole text a premium rate number to win cash back in the day with Mooney's Money

Update on this: even if you pick five songs from the first section (i.e. anything you like), you then have to pick at least one of the ones you're spoonfed in section 2. Which makes a farce of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Shan Doras

Advertisement