Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New headset time

Options
  • 04-12-2016 2:41pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my 2 year old got hold of my G35 headset and lets just say its RIP G35.

They owe me nothing as i have them for 6 years, really nice sound but never found them totally comfortable.
    Looking around the usual sites there is to much choice so im not sure whats what in the market these days so im open to suggestions.
    Main use will be gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

The HyperX CloudX Gaming Headset caught my eye recently;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-CloudX-Gaming-Headset-Xbox/dp/B01FY6FB30/

ACG gave it a good review recently here;

... or for something familiar, the Logitech G430 should be a bit more comfortable
    than the G45.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Gaming-Headset-Dolby-Surround/dp/B00CJ5FPUE/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for that,ill look into both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've a hyper x cloud 2 headset and its great tbh, although I think I'm going wireless next time, sick of cables :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Logitech G930 here. I can wear them all day with glasses and they're comfortable also wireless which is a bonus and the battery lasts a good few hours and they can be charged whilst using them.

They do need equaliser tweaking to get the most out of them and I remember when I first got them I was slightly underwhelmed by the bass BUT I do love them nowadays and can't rightly say if it was just being used to only gaming with normal surround sound 5.1 speakers with a big subwoofer.

I have often wondered though about just buying a nice pair of Sennheisers but for the money I'd happily recommend the logitech....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

I've a hyper x cloud 2 headset and its great tbh, although I think I'm going wireless next time, sick of cables :D

I got a set of these recently but ended up having a lot of trouble with the mic. Could only barely pick up my voice when using Discord etc.

• Advertisement

Pizzle wrote: »
    I got a set of these recently but ended up having a lot of trouble with the mic. Could only barely pick up my voice when using Discord etc.

i had the same problem, i fiddled with windows sound settings, oh make sure to hit the mik volume up on the usb dongle as well. cant remember exactly but i did fix it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Been using Logitech G930 for several years now. They are perhaps heavier than other headsets but once you go wireless you can never go back. The ability to mute by folding the mic back is such a useful and instinctive feature that I'd need the have the same on any replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Just throwing this into the mix

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Fairly comprehensive guide if you were interested in steering away from traditional gaming headsets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I never recommend gaming headsets. If you are willing to get a desktop mic, or a clip on mic I'd recommend getting a decent set of cans everytime.

I got these a couple of years ago to replace my HD 558's which had nearly doubled in price.

You won't break the bank, they are good build quality, nothing flashy looks wise at all but they really are something else sound wise, comparable to £100 headphones for less than half the price. For music and gaming, I could never go back after hearing the difference.

(I would recommend getting velour ear pads to replace the stock ones as they are pleather and your ears get sweaty in long sessions, can be got for under a tenner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Been using my HyperX II for a year now and still love it.

It's stood up quite well against my random rage moments too bar a once off when I snapped the mic out. Went to order one from the hyperxgaming site for around a tenner only to be told that they didn't deliver to Ireland - at which point a customer service rep emailed me and said sorry, we don't deliver to Ireland from the shop, so I'm just gonna send you out one for free anyway. Win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Agreed with Lukker, you'll get far better bang for you buck with a non-gaming headset. If your budget will extend to them, I'd recommend the AKG K550 with either a cheap and cheerful Zalman clip-on mic or something fancier such as the Antlion ModMic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ninjaholic

I got some huge shipping delays buying parts for a DIY-build trip-monitor gaming setup for the EVE-Online addicted wife, and as an appeasement Komplett sent me a free Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset.

Now at first I was dubious, as it's branded as both under the Fatali1ty line of gaming peripherals, AND it's labelled a "gaming" peripheral.

BUT.

I have only great things to say about it.

It's audio is crystal clear, contains a decent amount of bass, has an open sound stage, the mic is clear as it can be on headsets of both this size and price, the mic sound floor seems pretty low too.

They're extensible for people with massive heads, and they fit mine at the smallest size.

Can't lie man, I'm actually delighted Komplett sent me these, they're excellent, cheap, durable, reliable, they handle me playing music on them at ludicrous volume, the mic is crystal clear (I cannot stress this enough as so many sound like they've a built in sock over them and they're terrible), they're not USB, 3.5mm split-cable for standard headphone jack and mic jacks.

If you're looking for a pair of cheap headphones that do the job of headphones easily TWICE their price and upwards, get a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

gizmo wrote: »
    Agreed with Lukker, you'll get far better bang for you buck with a non-gaming headset. If your budget will extend to them, I'd recommend the AKG K550 with either a cheap and cheerful Zalman clip-on mic or something fancier such as the Antlion ModMic.

Just on this, I use the zalman clip on. Not a great mic, it's handy but I have to use mic boost to be audible and that adds a good bit of background noise.

The mod mic is good but overpriced IMO. Something like this would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I use this myself, paired with Philips Fidelio X1s. Cant see myself changing it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Another recommendation for the cloud II I also have Astro a50 and the clouds are just better in almost every way, light, really comfortable, sound great, amazing build, worth twice the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

HyperX cloud II as well, great headset and really clear mic with good noise cancellation. Customer support is also great, had my original pair replaced no problem after a cable came loose in one of the speakers.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the hyper cloud X ticks all the boxes for me.
    My brother gave me a loan of his G35`s for the time being which will give me time to decide but I really hate how heavy and tight the G35 are, so uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Been following the thread, can you let us know if you do get a set of the Cloud X and where you got them.

Thanks

Will do ofcourse.
    More than likely wait until January sales at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

I got a set of cloud x 2 only 2 weeks ago... Have to say..they really are brilliant. I got them off amazon in the black friday sale.. Discount wasnt much but they are well worth their usual price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Reddit article on why gaming headsets aren't worth it. Haven't read it all, but might be worth taking a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5hvy0j/do_not_buy_gaming_headsets_why_youre_wasting_your/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Was reading that yesterday, well written piece, but as is mentioned in the comments the only "gaming" headset to come out well is the hyper x as they are actually a rebranded takstar pro 80 with a mic jammed on,
    But for their price they are unbeatable, if you have cash to burn the sennheiser hd598 seem to be the popular choice with a clip on mic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kiith wrote: »
    Reddit article on why gaming headsets aren't worth it. Haven't read it all, but might be worth taking a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5hvy0j/do_not_buy_gaming_headsets_why_youre_wasting_your/

I remember making a post earlier in the year where I was looking to NOT buy aonther set of gaming headphones and go with something different.

I never got around to it as I bought a 1070, but I'll probably look into it again just after Christmas

I was going Sennheiser HD 598 and a Zalman clip. Although see the 598's have shot right up to over €200. They were €140 when I was looking at them.

But I'd say when it comes to buying again I'll try out an alternative setup to buying a gaming headset

these do look lovely though, only if wireless mind, cant really tell

Decided to go with the Hyper X Cloud II after a lot of research and im very impressed.
    Picked them up this morning in argos, worked out €3 more than shipping from UK.
    So much more comfortable than the G35s,superb sound for both gaming and music, again a lot better than the G35s for both stereo and virtual 7.1.

Keeping an eye out during the sales but not seeing much. If I could see Sennheiser HD598's or the set of ATH someone recommended, I'd probably pull the trigger.

I was gonna go the seperate route ie headphones and mic but thats basically what the cloud is as its detachable but all under the one roof so to speak.
    Highly recommended.

A friend has reserved a set in argos to collect friday after sampling mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have mine a year now and use them exclusively over the speakers I have which I had used mainly even though I had a pair of Sennheisers

wWell guess I got my mind made up for me. Got handed a voucher this morning that I spent on Hyper Cloud II from Argos, so thanks DCully, made me pull the trigger knowing they were in Argos :D

*Holy ****ing ****, these are loud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

€90 for them is a steal as they are comparable to much pricier brands

Advertisement