Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kneemos wrote: »
    Wings are for downforce,useless on a fwd car. All they do is slow it down and make it light in the front,unstable at speed and worse for cornering.

Not true.

The down force is needed on rear also to keep the back from spinning as if all down force was on from alone the rear would become so light it would spin out.

Normal driving this really won't have much benefits but on track or the autobahn then that's something of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not true.

The down force is needed on rear also to keep the back from spinning as if all down force was on from alone the rear would become so light it would spin out.

Normal driving this really won't have much benefits but on track or the autobahn then that's something of benefit.

No. Makes the car light at the front and will understeer rather than spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

bazz26 wrote: »
    These clowns are well organised, they have lookouts and listen in to Garda radio chatter so they know when to disappear. It's a bit like our ethnic cousins and their cultural sulky racing on public roads.

Organised? Listening to Radio chatter? Designated Lookouts?

Christ man it's a few young fellas parked up chatting at a local petrol station.
    Sounds to me like you've been watching too many fast and furious films.

No. Makes the car light at the front and will oversteer rather than spin.

Again not correct its all respectively speaking of course.

My car has a boot spoiler/wing if you like and that's from factory and is in place as car is high performance and can hit high speeds but we normal folk technically have absolutely no need as our top speed legally is 120k.

Now the front while travelling forward has air travelling over but also under and at higher speed for more grip cars are designed to have the air travel more so over as to stabilize the car and help keep traction especially at high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Wings are for downforce,useless on a fwd car. All they do is slow it down and make it light in the front,unstable at speed and worse for cornering.

You might want to stop lift rather than generate loads of downforce

Depending on the shape of the car, a serious lip spoiler will trap a (pillow sized maybe? ) pocket of air on top of the boot, then the other air will pass over that

Otherwise the air will go over the roof and have to expand again to fill the gap - this can be bad - same amount of air occupying more space = lower pressure = lift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Boy racers are a dying breed. Only a few remain. Back it the day there was Skanger Me Banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They're not insured I presume unless they tell them about modifications,if they tell them about modifications I presume they won't get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Organised? Listening to Radio chatter? Designated Lookouts?

Christ man it's a few young fellas parked up chatting at a local petrol station.
    Sounds to me like you've been watching too many fast and furious films.

Take a deep breathe and read my post again.

I was talking about these idiots in general doing donuts on public road or drifting on roundabouts at all hours, not a few lads with one direction hair cuts and skinny jeans at a petrol station showing each other how blue their headlights are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

and listen in to Garda radio chatter

This is bulsh1t they can't now days mayb years ago but gardai now use tetra digital radios that the average boy racers won't be able to brake into that system

They prob do have look outs we did I used to hang around with lads like this in my miss spent youth wasn't what you call a full blown boy racer now I'd a done up golf no good for the racing but alright for the driving up and down the streets with the windows down ( heaters up in the cold :) ) loud music girls in the car (only chasing me for the car probably but was worth it ;) ah sure thought I was the business

Till I grew up a I just cringe now :(
    But we would have been pretty organised at meet ups etc you would know in plenty of time if the gardai where to arrive lads would be gone like lunatics if you got a phonecall I was lucky I had a full liecence at 18 car taxed and insured so once I was not caught messing (never was) gardai could do absolutely nothing to me only wave me on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Not true.

Audi had to put a spoiler on their TT mk1 for that very reason after a number of fatal crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I was talking about these idiots in general doing donuts on public road or drifting on roundabouts at all hours, not a few lads with one direction hair cuts and skinny jeans at a petrol station showing each other how blue their headlights are.

Well the thread is about lads at a petrol station. Nothing in your post suggested you were referring to anything else.

You went off on a tangent talking about a scene that would be more at home in a fast and furious film (roads closed pizza boy find another way home :P)

Talking about radio chatter is absolutely nonsenseical and the closest thing to illegal organisation would be a post on Facebook about a bit of diffin in the middle of the night.

But as usual the Joe Duffy brigade think Ireland is at the mercy of high horsepower streetracers! it's really quite entertaining to see such hysterics over what really amounts to f#*k all.

Whatever about Ireland and a few straight piped tdi's I suggest staying away from America, Japan, Stockholm, Dubai etc. Their boyracers won't be to ye're liking at all :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*facepalm* Why you continue to display ignorance on the subject with such happy confidence astounds me TBH.

Let's break it down in very simple terms for you…. Numero Uno; contrary to old fashioned "thinking" the rear wheels on a FWD car are not merely hanging on at the back. It's an oddly common idea this, particularly with RWD is king types. Numero Dos; while people tend to lump them together, there are "wings" and there are "spoilers". Both spoilers and wings purpose is to reduce lift at the rear of a car, but go about it different ways.

I would most certainly disagree regarding the claim it(wing or spoiler) would make things "worse for cornering". Quite the opposite in fact. Basically a FWD car corners(and changes direction) better with a stiff rear suspension setup, the problem being that this makes them much more skittish under braking(particularly at speed), changes of direction and after initial turn in on a corner. An effectively set up rear wing essentially mimics the effect of stiffer suspension without the negatives. So you can run a less stiff rear suspension which makes the car more forgiving, but as speed increases the wing acts like a stiffer suspension.

Then we get to spoilers. Spoilers work in a different way to airfoil wings, but to the same end. The clue is kinda in the name. They "spoil" the airflow across targeted parts of the car, which in turn helps overall airflow across the car and usually improve overall drag. Typically these are placed at the rear of a car where the air gets messy and gets dragged downwards causing lift. This is not good. Particularly in a FWD car. Unlike wings they don't need to be way up in the air.

These two airflow organisers are but a part of the overall aerodynamic package. Balance comes into it. So if the car has front air dams(even a lower to the road front bumper), you need to tweak the rear aerodynamics accordingly.

Oh and before the high horse brigade mosey along; these effects can be felt at normal road speeds, such as on main roads and motorways. Obviously on race tracks where speeds and forces are higher more intense wings and spoilers come into play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Not true.

You guys obviously don't no the real benefit of a spoiler very handy when parked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

xzanti wrote: »
    I keep seeing this (I think it's an Astra) driving around my area with the words "You just got passed by a girl"... and "Powered by Fairydust" in decals on the back.
    So damn cool.
    Driving around an area - sad
    "passed by a girl" - nobody cares about overtaking
    "Powered by Fairydust" - are fans of Disney's Frozen driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Kal El wrote: »
    spastic

Any chance you could broaden your vocabulary and stop using that word?

retard.

FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

So back in the day the racer scene was all about, but finished thankfully due to all the labourers having less money and a clamp down on the cars modifications.
    But now there back :mad: we have three spastic losers going around revving all over the place and the guards arent doing anything about them. Have the laws loosened up :confused:

They appeared during the boom, they went away during the bust. The boom must be back baby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sjb25 wrote: »
    T
    They prob do have look outs we did I used to hang around with lads like this in my miss spent youth wasn't what you call a full blown boy racer now I'd a done up golf no good for the racing but alright for the driving up and down the streets with the windows down ( heaters up in the cold :) ) loud music girls in the car (only chasing me for the car probably but was worth it ;) ah sure thought I was the business

Ah SJ, I'd not cringe too much. That kinda thing is one of the outlets younger people have(particularly, but not exclusively young men). Young guys have always done up their cars, right back to when the first cars came out. Hot rodding is damn near a century old. Back then they'd be fiddling with magnetos and trembler coils and oiling their trunnions. :D It's a way to make your particular mark and belong to a community of sorts. Speed is also addictive of course and when you're 19 you consider yourself immortal. :) Are their muppets in such communities? Of course, but there are muppets in chess clubs too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

petrolcan wrote: »
    Any chance you could broaden your vocabulary and stop using that word?

Why? I feel its apt

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah SJ, I'd not cringe too much. That kinda thing is one of the outlets younger people have(particularly, but not exclusively young men). Young guys have always done up their cars, right back to when the first cars came out. Hot rodding is damn near a century old. Back then they'd be fiddling with magnetos and trembler coils and oiling their trunnions. :D It's a way to make your particular mark and belong to a community of sorts. Speed is also addictive of course and when you're 19 you consider yourself immortal. :) Are their muppets in such communities? Of course, but there are muppets in chess clubs too.

I personally have nothing against modified cars. But like you said its the muppets that ruin it for everyone. You can have a modified exhaust and not rev when you turn into the station, then rev again when you turn towards the petrol pump, then rev again as your coming to a stop then rev again before you turn off the car.
    Theres plenty of lads who mod cars around who are sound, theres even lads in the group once they were told we had a sleeping baby who stopped doing it. Its just the same three ****ing idiots

• Advertisement

Why? I feel its apt

That makes it all okay then.

That makes it all okay then.

Thats not a answer at all. Im guessing by the offence that you partake in revving at petrol stations

sjb25 wrote: »
    This is bulsh1t they can't now days mayb years ago but gardai now use tetra digital radios that the average boy racers won't be able to brake into that system

But we would have been pretty organised at meet ups etc you would know in plenty of time if the gardai where to arrive lads would be gone like lunatics if you got a phonecall I was lucky I had a full liecence at 18 car taxed and insured so once I was not caught messing (never was) gardai could do absolutely nothing to me only wave me on :)

Those were the days. I had me a modified motor once. Spoiler so big I couldn't open the boot all the way up because it would scratch the roof. :) Meeting up at the B&Q car park on a Friday night where promiscuous young wans in short skirts waited to be picked up by some fella with a big exhaust pipe. All you needed in those days was a big exhaust pipe. Simple times.

Those were the days. I had me a modified motor once. Spoiler so big I couldn't open the boot all the way up because it would scratch the roof. :) Meeting up at the B&Q car park on a Friday night where promiscuous young wans in short skirts waited to be picked up by some fella with a big exhaust pipe. All you needed in those days was a big exhaust pipe. Simple times.

Was that to make up for a small ...... Ha...

Thats not a answer at all. Im guessing by the offence that you partake in revving at petrol stations

I haven't taken offence and I don't gather at filling stations.

I simply asked that you not to use a derogatory term.

Was that to make up for a small ...... Ha...

Small gear knob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

clairek6 wrote: »
    It's funny because their cars are often older than myself and sound like our old lawnmower

They never sound nice anyway. Supercars and high performance cars are expensive for a reason. Its costs a lot of research and money to make a great car like a BMW M5, Audi S4, Mercedes AMG, Golf GTi. Seat Leon Cupra and Skoda Octavia VRs. I would have any of them cars anyday before having some basic cars that been messed with by an amateur and that ends up sounding like either a lawnmower or a tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I honestly thought modified exhausts were illegal. I presumed thats why they all disappeared around the same time
    All the Passat drivers in the county go to the same guy at NCT time to borrow his legal exhaust for a few days for the test:D I kid you not, this type of thing happens regularly!

Those blue to the front lights are illegal AFAIK

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/si/342/made/en/print

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Those blue to the front lights are illegal AFAIK

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/si/342/made/en/print

Only if they flash.

• Advertisement

I haven't taken offence and I don't gather at filling stations.

I simply asked that you not to use a derogatory term.

Why, if the shoe fits which in this case it does, why not use it. If anything its quiet a tame slur

Advertisement